Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Filthy Hans posted:

if you're ever in the Tampa area, the Big Cat Rescue Sanctuary is a great place to visit

that bitch fed her hubsand to a tiger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Kimi sucked rear end and Happening came out like 15 years ago lol loving idiot

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

oscarthewilde posted:

I also found the underlying message of Nope to be also really confused and contradictory (much like us). every step of the way, we're told that animals should be treated with respect, shouldn't be treated as vehicles for fame and attention and are much more - and more dangerous - than simple tools. but at the end them killing and taking a picture of the monster is portrayed as this heroic event, complete with orchestral music and a character feared dead turning out to be alive. And, yes, I know it's also a (not exactly original) parable about fame and Hollywood, but it's also clearly interested in the phenomenon of dangerous animals in media, and I found that specific message particularly confused.

peele has some interesting ideas but actually sticking the landing isn't his best skill. don't really get why everyone sees him as this visionary director when everything he's done besides get out! and key and peele is very confused and overly ambitious.

he fell into what i'm gonna call the Director's Trap —— making a movie about making movies

no thanks!!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

a new study bible! posted:

Kimi sucked rear end and Happening came out like 15 years ago lol loving idiot

booooo Kimi ruled

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

oscarthewilde posted:

peele has some interesting ideas but actually sticking the landing isn't his best skill. don't really get why everyone sees him as this visionary director when everything he's done besides get out! and key and peele is very confused and overly ambitious.

I think there's a connection between the "visionary director" sentiment and Peele making a his debut film: 1. a horror movie, 2. a not particularly gory horror movie, 3. a movie "about racism".

Like, I think mainstream audiences were hurting for a Horror movie that wasn't too overtly gross and gory in its content, because (as someone who was a teenager in the 2000s) those were the only horror movies that made it to theaters for like a decade and if you weren't someone who was actively seeking out and watching as many films as possible, that might be the only impression of the entire genre you got! Get Out! coincided with that A24 Horror-renaissance that reminded people that not only can Horror movies be good movies, but that it's entertaining to watch a movie that scares you instead of just grossing you out. No offense intended to any Hostel-likers out there.

and then it having an "important subject matter" that's pretty easy for the audience to read was just the icing on the cake.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Peele is this century's Shyamalan

But not in a good way

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

booooo Kimi ruled

in terms of Rear Window like movies that came out this year, I preferred Watcher. but I also don’t like Zoe Kravitz! I should do some work and determine why…

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Nope will absolutely wind up being more interesting than the Fablemans

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Here's a list of the best movies of the year that everyone can agree on

Everyone can feel comforted that they recognize these movies without risking alienation and stoking insecurities

I only saw 3 of these, one which I would say was actually good, and have no plans to see the others

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

the rock has a point, all of the other films above him are sequels… Black Adam is the only real original and unique movie on the list!!!

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Knight posted:

Here's a list of the best movies of the year that everyone can agree on

Everyone can feel comforted that they recognize these movies without risking alienation and stoking insecurities

I only saw 3 of these, one which I would say was actually good, and have no plans to see the others

Maverick was great, and Sonic 2 was a good family/kids movie, but yeah, no interest in anything else.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I have not seen a single one of those movies and can't really say I have any desire to but I would like Sean Hannity to tell me why Black Panther: Wakanda Forever was not in the top ten despite ticket sales pretty obviously being his metric because I think there's some good comedy fodder there

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Maverick was good, probably about as good a blockbuster as we'll get until the next Mission Impossible flick

also it's 100% gonna be nominated for best picture and a bunch of losers are gonna be shocked and whine when it loses. tom cruise might even get a best actor nod too

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Tankbuster posted:

Most historical stuff right now isn't about the time period it's set in. It's about modernity invading the past

this has always been true

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Ridley Scott's Napoleon and Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer gonna show these top 10's who's boss

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

Jurassic World Dominion was god awful, people must really crave seeing dinosaurs eat humans

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I appreciate Sonic making a comeback because it's a fandom for which I already have tons of built in knowledge. My kids ask me Sonic questions and not only do I have answers, I have answers that satisfy multiple realities and timelines and they eventually demand that I stop.

You cannot unsubscribe from Sonic Facts, son.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Tankbuster posted:

Most historical stuff right now isn't about the time period it's set in. It's about modernity invading the past and making it more equitable in fiction.

I wouldn't say "equitable" so much as generically liberal but Ridley Scott does this in several of his historical movies like Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven, and I'm very curious how he's gonna portray Napoleon, who's this very ambiguous figure to modern libs.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

just lol at the whole vibe of this article about programming strategy :foxnews:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/kevin-costner-fox-news-1235437990

quote:

Kevin Costner has taken over hallowed space at Fox Corporation.

The exterior walls of the company’s New York headquarters have long been adorned with giant billboards touting content at Fox News Channel. Passers-by over the years might find it hard to ignore giant posters of Sean Hannity or Megyn Kelly. In more recent times, pedestrians might have sauntered by billboards talking about a Fox News Christmas tree lighting or the cable outlet’s coverage of the 2022 midterm elections.

Now, much of that area has been ceded to the actor best known for his roles in movies like “Dances With Wolves,” “The Untouchables” and “Bull Durham.” Costner is also the host of a new four-part mini series, “Yellowstone: One-Fifty,” that celebrates Yellowstone National Park, and is available on Fox Nation, the streaming-video service that is also part of the company’s Fox News empire.

“It is a departure,” notes Jason Klarman, president of Fox Nation, in an interview. “That’s how big a priority this is for the company.” Costner’s visage is likely to grace Fox’s midtown Manhattan building through the end of 2022.

Fox Nation unveiled the Costner-narrated project in March, but it is surfacing on the streaming outlet Sunday, just as the fifth season of the popular Paramount Network drama “Yellowstone,” which stars Costner, has gotten underway. The combined launch of the drama’s new season and the Costner documentary’s launch has Fox executives seeing “a great opportunity to get a broader audience to subscribe to Fox Nation,” says Klarman.

The bulk of Fox Corp.’s portfolio is comprised of ad-supported media that consumers can access without a subscription. Even so, the company has dipped its toe into premium streaming waters with Fox Nation, which launched as a sort of “Netflix for conservatives,” but has expanded into what Klarman called “news adjacent” content.

Fox Corp. has never officially disclosed the number of subscribers to the service, but during a recent call with investors, CEO Lachlan Murdoch said Fox Nation had seen an uptick in subscriptions and hours spent by users watching content. To spur some of that dynamic, Fox Nation under Klarman has invested in lifestyle programming, not just the red-meat political opinions that seem to attract many of the viewers who watch Fox News Channel. Fox Nation has in recent months burnished a revival of “Cops” and other programs centered around real estate and entrepreneurialism.

“I think the outdoors is something you can imagine is something our audience is very interested in, and Yellowstone in particular is an American icon, fronted by a guy who is starring in a show by the same name who is also an icon,” says Klarman. “It’s very meta.”

In addition to the Fox Corp. billboards, Fox Nation is using attention-grabbing ad formats on Roku and YouTube, among other streaming venues, to get the word out about the new documentary. Local ads bought from cable distributors will appear during Paramount’s showings of “Yellowstone” in several markets. The company is also touting the series via billboards, some located in New York’s Times Square and near the Midtown Tunnel, and “wraps” of buses.

Fox Nation has more plans for programming that gets viewers back to nature. In 2023, the service will debut “A Year on Planet Earth,” a series produced in part by ITV that was filmed over three years in more than 60 locations across the world and shows conservationist and scientists trying to save animals from around the globe.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Fox Nation is run by Klanman? Very on the nose.

also "real estate and entrepreneurialism" are the number one enemy on the show Yellowstone. Hippies are a much smaller foe.

It's interesting to see Fox Nation dive into nature programming. Taylor Sheridan's whole project with Yellowstone seems to be making early 20th century US conservationism popular again.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

fascist movements often have a weird pastoralism fetish

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

indigi posted:

fascist movements often have a weird pastoralism fetish

growth of the soil, Knut Hamsun, great reading! :hitler:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the rock is overpaid now lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

also KIMI owns, such a fun movie, props to manohla for the placement

i still think NOPE kinda sucked tho

agreed on both

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

…I liked NOPE :smith:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nope didn't like suck suck but it's without a doubt Peele's worst movie. Steven Yuen was good in it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I liked it better than Us, which was an OK flick

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I liked it better than Us, which was an OK flick

he should call his next movie OK

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I enjoyed Us well enough at the time but have had zero desire to rewatch it. Get Out kinda feels like the only one of his movies that really holds up to any kind of scrutiny.

anyway if your best of 2022 list doesn't include Mad God i have no respect for your opinion.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Nope was great, even if it couldn’t put a pin in all of its ideas. Way better than Us, not quite at the level of Get Out

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

YaketySass posted:

I wouldn't say "equitable" so much as generically liberal but Ridley Scott does this in several of his historical movies like Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven, and I'm very curious how he's gonna portray Napoleon, who's this very ambiguous figure to modern libs.

I felt Duellists and Last Duel both managed to be pretty decent in being about their period while still being relevant to modern issues. Duellists in particular is really good in how it portrays the Napoleonic period even if it was like 50 years ago

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

anyway if your best of 2022 list doesn't include Mad God i have no respect for your opinion.

Man, I tried but it was hella boring

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Man, I tried but it was hella boring

man one of the first things you see is a bunch of giants strapped to electric chairs that funnel all of their piss and poo poo into the mouth of a bigger giant, what does it take to not bore you exactly

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

this sounds rad, I'm gonna watch it this weekend

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

YaketySass posted:

From a test screening about a month ago.

quote:

“It’s 150 minutes. Covers the sweep of Napoleon's life from his promotion around the time of the revolution, to the end. I think it’s bigger, better and MORE PSYCHOLOGICAL than Scott’s epics like Kingdom of Heaven and Gladiator. Also more political. I think the picture is a masterpiece, or very nearly one. It's the culmination of Ridley's life's work as a filmmaker. His staging of battle scenes on a near-cosmic scale is mind-blowing. Joaquin gives a Brando-like performance, taking some very big risks, and at times verging on the absurd, but always taking the audience with him. As a movie about a nationalist in a time of chaos and disintegration who thinks in terms of pure power, it has a lot of parallels to 2022. It's a great movie and I'll be surprised if there is anything better released in 2023.”

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Napoleon was an interesting cat

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Personally I'm really excited, even his sillier movies are fun to watch

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

man one of the first things you see is a bunch of giants strapped to electric chairs that funnel all of their piss and poo poo into the mouth of a bigger giant, what does it take to not bore you exactly

A story

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

trailer for andrew callaghan's (channel 5) new jan 6 doc for hbo out 12/30

https://twitter.com/HBO/status/1600913103666806784

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

a story? like parents read to babies at bedtime? you want the movie to tuck you in too?