Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah this version does show the list but of course they still won't tell you what the skills actually do until you get them (except for the obvious ones like "attack up") so i ended up looking them up anyway.

The worst of the paralysis really came from jessica because she has a bunch of good spells and utility all over her tree and it really doesn't seem like it will be feasible to get all of them but i think I've decided to just go for magic burst for the big nuke and nothing else matters. Big numbers are always good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Yuji Hori says Square Enix may have Dragon Quest III HD-2D remake news to share soon.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
After a few hours of Treasures, i'm not exactly sure who the game is for. It seems charming, but not really all that engaging for a vet DQ player. I was kinda hoping it would be more similar to a standard DQM game, but it is really its own thing entirely.

Maybe it's a good entry game to introduce to a younger player or SO in order to get them hooked on DQ as a series and want to play other games.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
That's disappointing, I was hoping it'd be really good (even if, obviously, it was not going to be a real DQM game, which is what I really want)

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

I've been playing Treasures over the weekend, so here's my two cents. It is not a proper Monsters game by any means. The variety of your team members it pretty limited, with a heavy reliance on palate swaps. The main difference besides their stats and combat powers is each monster has an affinity for finding a specific type of treasure. These affinities are random. Each monster provides a field ability to your main character to help traverse the large maps. Otherwise combat is automatic, like an MMO. You can fight with your main character but don't expect to win many fights with them solo.

The main focus of the game is, of course, the treasure hunting. This basically boils down to a gigantic collectathon. There are many hundreds of individual treasures, possibly over a thousand. These are basically like smash bros. trophies, they are just there for you to collect. Each new treasure you add to your collection provides a boost to your team's score which will rank you up to provide benefits. The main thing to understand about the treasures is that they are not hand placed in the world, the game will randomly spawn them on the maps each in-game day and you will mostly find them by wandering around and having the game announce there's one nearby. There IS an ability to point you towards the nearest treasure, so that's pretty handy.

There's plenty of DQ side content as well. The maps are littered with crafting ingredients and side quests. There's also an online component where you can bury a copy of your favorite treasure anywhere on a map and it will randomly show up in other people's games. These player placed treasures are considered replicas though, and won't provide a score or count towards completing your treasure list. They do give tons of XP when you dig them up and you can sell them for cash, so they aren't totally useless. I've found that most people like to bury their poo poo at the entrances to the zones, so you can sometimes power-level off of a large landfill of player treasures right as you enter a map.

Overall the game is largely a DQ themed time killer. It's not a bad game, but it's not a particularly deep game either.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm trying to decide between getting DQ4 and DQ6 for Android (already have and love 5), any recommendations for one over the other?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'd say 4 because I love 4. It was probably my first RPG so I cannot be objective. Has Alena, the greatest character ever written.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
4 would be my suggestion too. I like 6, but it's a weaker game than 4 and is quite a bit longer than it really needs to be (something they'd double down on for 7).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
If it’s android IV no doubt, VI is a solid 8/10 game in its own right but IV is really just better despite being based on an NES game, and that’s coming from someone who really liked IV on the DS with like 60% of the dialogue cut compared to the mobile versions.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Go with 4. I love 6, but it is a longer, heavier game, so you're more likely to want to play 6 after finishing 4 than you are to want to play 4 after finishing 6.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

6 is kinda whatever, to be honest. And has some really frustrating bosses.

4 has my vote as well. Torneko's chapter was absolutely mind-blowing the first time I played it on NES (as an adult, via emulation).

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Joining the bandwagon on recommending 4. Sometimes I feel misaligned with this thread's general feel on the post-NES games so I feel I need to speak up here on recommending 4 over 6. To me 4 feels like a culmination of all the work that had gone into the series before that point but also it still wasn't afraid to completely change things up with the way it told a story in what was a very non-standard way for the time.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Ofecks posted:

4 has my vote as well. Taloon's chapter was absolutely mind-blowing the first time I played it on NES (as a child, on an NES).

Fixed for me. So old. :corsair:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm the opposite. Playing 4 for me wasn't bad, but I felt like the early chapters were nothing but fannying about to build a party that I could have done manually. I didn't feel as if the game started until chapter V when everyone is assembled, and then they went ahead and made it so that every character but the main one is controlled by dimwitted AI (yes, I know that they changed that in remakes).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Torneko's chapter in IV is some of the most fun I've had in an RPG. The rest of the game is certified okay.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ofecks posted:

4 has my vote as well. Torneko's chapter was absolutely mind-blowing the first time I played it on NES (as an adult, via emulation).

Yeah this. Going form Ragnar to a new team of level 1s was weird and then after a lucky crit let me win chapter 2 I started Taloon's chapter and just... what? The only downside was that I didn't know money wouldn't carry over so I had like 70k on Taloon but the remakes trivialize that concern because of the Bag so you can get all the cash (and swords of malice) you want.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Luceo posted:

Fixed for me. So old. :corsair:

I most definitely would have played it when it was newer, but I never saw it in stores, and by the time I found and completed DQ3, that was my last NES game purchase (until used games years later) because I was deep into SNES by that point. Those beefy-rear end carts took all my (and gift-givers') funds.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gaius Marius posted:

Torneko's chapter in IV is some of the most fun I've had in an RPG. The rest of the game is certified okay.
my experiences with (among others) Recettear and Moonlighter were just chasing the Torneko Chapter High, it might legitimately be the best portion of any DQ

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
didnt see much chatter about it,, is Treasures a pass?

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
I'm enjoying it plenty, but it's a pretty simple go-get-loot go-do-an-RPG-story game. I'm really enjoying the gameplay loop of exploring, getting treasure to advance my rank, coming back to base, finding new party members to recruit, and going back out to do it again, and the story is just sorta there. Others have said the combat is not terribly complex, and that's true, but I'm having some fun working out the nuances.

I wouldn't say it's a must-have but it's enjoyable. Maybe don't buy it now at full price, get it later?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Additional info: Asking for a fresh Dragon Quest/JRPG noob who's entry point was XI and they want more Erik. The lack of complexity might warrant a recommendation of a sale for them since they love the Diablo loot and the TTRPG "crunch." I shall pass along! thanks!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Seems like someone did a new DQ4 Party Chat patch that manages to inject the function into the US version rather than working around the JP version's lack of name tags and such

https://www.romhacking.net/reviews/9748/

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Seems like someone did a new DQ4 Party Chat patch that manages to inject the function into the US version rather than working around the JP version's lack of name tags and such

https://www.romhacking.net/reviews/9748/

That's fantastic news, I know some who were put off by being forced to use the mobile version and its touchscreen only controls just to enjoy party chat.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

FeatherFloat posted:

I'm enjoying it plenty, but it's a pretty simple go-get-loot go-do-an-RPG-story game. I'm really enjoying the gameplay loop of exploring, getting treasure to advance my rank, coming back to base, finding new party members to recruit, and going back out to do it again, and the story is just sorta there. Others have said the combat is not terribly complex, and that's true, but I'm having some fun working out the nuances.

I wouldn't say it's a must-have but it's enjoyable. Maybe don't buy it now at full price, get it later?

Yeah, it's a fun gameplay loop but it's nothing groundbreaking.

A 30$ pricepoint would have been way more fitting, but I'm not too upset about it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Mr. Fortitude posted:

That's fantastic news, I know some who were put off by being forced to use the mobile version and its touchscreen only controls just to enjoy party chat.

I'm not big on touch controls myself. I did play through DQ1 and 2 on iPad, but that's the only kind of game where it's not a burden - a game that requires no quick or precise movements on the part of the player. As for the DS version, I don't game in English but I'm glad that other people can enjoy that now.

Just as an example, I bought one of the GTA games on iPad out of a sort of morbid curiousity. It was very impressive, technically speaking, that it ran so well, but as I suspected that sort of game was definitely not made for touch controls.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Gaius Marius posted:

Torneko throws down in DQ Heroes 2, he's had enough of people's poo poo.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Oh yes, on the subject of Dragon Quest Treasures, codes are out for some special party members!

https://twitter.com/DragonQuest/status/1604673122040516613

Yuji there apparently has Yuji Horii's actual voice? Neat!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Treasures has ‘break down and buy me at full price one week before I go on 50% off sale’ written all over it and I’m not gonna fall for it Nintendo

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I'm thinking I should raise my digital purchase threshold to $30 since DQXI has been 50% off during Steam sales for quite a while now, and I still haven't played it because I'm a 20-dollar cheap-rear end gamer (remember that website?).

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

DQXI is easily worth $30, I’ve paid launch price twice because I double dipped for the switch version and have no regrets

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ofecks posted:

I'm thinking I should raise my digital purchase threshold to $30 since DQXI has been 50% off during Steam sales for quite a while now, and I still haven't played it because I'm a 20-dollar cheap-rear end gamer (remember that website?).

You need to adjust for inflation. As of this posting: Never pay more than $44.60 for a computer game.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I thought that the base price was 60 like most AAA games, it's only 40, so I was also wrong about it ever being 50% off on Steam. Epic Games store has been giving some hefty discounts to put it under my threshold, but I'm not sure about buying games from Epic. Do they have achievements and cloud saves like Steam does?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

FeatherFloat posted:

Oh yes, on the subject of Dragon Quest Treasures, codes are out for some special party members!

https://twitter.com/DragonQuest/status/1604673122040516613

Yuji there apparently has Yuji Horii's actual voice? Neat!

These are permanent codes, right? I haven't picked the game up yet and it'd suck to miss stuff. I can't stand limited-time stuff. :|

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

DQXI is easily worth $30, I’ve paid launch price twice because I double dipped for the switch version and have no regrets

100% this, I was a little hesitant to buy it again but I did last time it went on sale. I have like 70+ hours in the game now.

PunishedEnzoMatrix
Jul 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
Picked up the first volume of Adventures of Dai today. I missed the news that they were starting to release it in English so seeing 1, 2, and 4 at a shop today was my first knowledge of it. Makes sense given there's been a new show of it running though.

First two chapters were really cute and Dai is a perfect Goku so I'm looking forward to seeing more of his adventures. I was surprised to realise that this started two years before DQV came out and introduced monster recruitment so Dai Pokemoning all the monsters here was just an Ultra 7 thing I guess

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

History Comes Inside! posted:

Treasures has ‘break down and buy me at full price one week before I go on 50% off sale’ written all over it and I’m not gonna fall for it Nintendo

Oh definitely. If I hadn't gotten it as a gift I would have waited

That said it is really good, just not deep at all. Erik and Mia are the cutest widdle criminals :3:

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Is there a database in English that has enemy resistances for DQXI? Been playing through tougher monsters and it'd be nice to know when I can actually use Dazzle/Snooze to take the edge off some of these boss fights. Spent a pretty long time fighting the Auroral Serpent until in desperation I used Sleeper Hit with Erik after he popped when my entire party wiped and it connected. Respecced so that he had Nastier Knives and was able to get the boss to spend roughly half of its turns sleeping on the next attempt which made it way easier.

I found this but Google translate isn't giving me particularly useful answers in the stat tables and since all the monster names are very different from the Japanese ones it's hard to find the right monster: https://www.d-navi.info/dq11/monster/list

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Hyper Inferno posted:

I found this but Google translate isn't giving me particularly useful answers in the stat tables and since all the monster names are very different from the Japanese ones it's hard to find the right monster: https://www.d-navi.info/dq11/monster/list

The bestiary at Dragon's Den has the Japanese names, so you can cross-reference them:
https://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq11/monsters.php

Ever written a guide at GameFAQs? The info from the Japanese wiki would be incredibly useful to have available to everyone.

e: Historically, I'd say "buy the official strategy guide" but that concept is long dead. Wonder how the JP wiki got all that data? Maybe print or digital guides are still a thing over there?

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 12, 2023

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Hyper Inferno posted:

Is there a database in English that has enemy resistances for DQXI? Been playing through tougher monsters and it'd be nice to know when I can actually use Dazzle/Snooze to take the edge off some of these boss fights. Spent a pretty long time fighting the Auroral Serpent until in desperation I used Sleeper Hit with Erik after he popped when my entire party wiped and it connected. Respecced so that he had Nastier Knives and was able to get the boss to spend roughly half of its turns sleeping on the next attempt which made it way easier.

I have this. Don't remember where I got it but I know it's accurate to at least OG DQ11, not that I think S changed much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Is there a goon guild for Dragon Quest Tact? Finally getting into that gacha.