Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Did Vic sustain a greivous head injury in the recent past? How does anyone, regardless of their known sex pest past, think that's a cool joke to do on a stream?

With the lack of opportunities to sexually harass women at cons ever since his Cancellation, Vic's Urges have been building up for the past several years so no wonder he lacked the self control to Not expose himself to women on a zoom call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

MechaX posted:

I... before this video I honest thought Leopard print speedos/tighty-whities were just gag items

But the Vic Saga continues to surpass my expectations
tbf leopard print undies are a very funny gag in a Lupin Way, but you should absolutely not be letting non-consenting strangers in on the bit, vic

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

TenementFunster posted:

it was always pretty clear after decades of Vic being a creep to people to anyone who even just asked around, but it took a totally inexperienced and greedy showboat like Nick to push forward with the grift instead of actually doing some investigation into the veracity of the claims. intense client selection/screening is the very first step of any impact litigation and Nick just didn't do his homework because he was too focused on that sweet Hateron cash.

this has to be the worst defamation "reverse uno" outcome since Oscar Wilde

What's the mechanism for vetting a client like this? I've only ever worked the legal research side of things, and even then I would never trust a client to tell me the truth about anything embarrassing.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Does anyone know who those women are? Did they just have him on so they could go, "wow vic how awful that those libs cancelled you" only for him to do the thing that got him cancelled in the first place? Which, if so lol

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 6, 2022

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Great now you're making me look at that video again out of morbid curiosity. I swear they looked like plain whites

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

grassy gnoll posted:

What's the mechanism for vetting a client like this? I've only ever worked the legal research side of things, and even then I would never trust a client to tell me the truth about anything embarrassing.
step one before filing a defamation suit (or even taking the loving case) would be to just ask around to see if the allegations are true or not. it's the most basic thing you'd have an investigator do - investigate!

in the Oscar Wilde case, ol' Oscar filed a defamation suit because his boyfriend's dad said he was gay. not only was it not defamation, but Wlide had to serve hard labor when he was subsequently charged and convicted of the crime of Being Gay

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

Does anyone know who those women are? Did they just have him on so they could go, "wow vic how awful that those libs cancelled you" only for him to do the thing that got him cancelled in the first place? Which, if so lol

From what I understand of it... yes? They're three Pick Me nerd chud hangers on who thought they were going to have a pleasant evening with him chatting about how unfair it is that everything thinks he's a sex offender, only for him to do the thing that gets you put on a sex offender registry if you did it in public to random people.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

nine-gear crow posted:

From what I understand of it... yes? They're three Pick Me nerd chud hangers on who thought they were going to have a pleasant evening with him chatting about how unfair it is that everything thinks he's a sex offender, only for him to do the thing that gets you put on a sex offender registry if you did it in public to random people.
they really all thought they were gonna get some clicks by interviewing this wrongfully cancelled and slightly famous person. they were trying to prove to their viewers that vic was unfairly maligned by the woke mob but all they did was give him Enough Rope

roflmao he is just an incorrigible pervert!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Wonder how the rest of their stream went. After they cut him off

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Happy Landfill posted:

Wonder how the rest of their stream went. After they cut him off

They're trying to pass it off as ol' Uncle Vic just had a 'boomer moment.' I only know one of them subscribed to get a Twitter checkmark, so LOL.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

grassy gnoll posted:

Broadly speaking if you want to do strategic litigation first off you want a perfect case and a perfect client. So obviously you want all the facts of the matter on your side, then you want your client's character to be unimpeachable. Someone upstanding, someone with no personal vices, and also with the acuity and willpower to work closely with your lawyers and give disciplined statements. Mignogna is none of that. He has a reputation for being a pervert, can't stop bing a pervert. He was lazy and preferred to spend his time flying out to cons to meet much younger fans, he kept botching up his dispositions, and was often not available to help his lawyers.

Famously, preceding Rosa Parks, a teenager named Claudette Colvin also wanted to take legal action over being arrested for not moving to the back of the bus. However, the ACLU declined her case, she was too young, she was pregnant out of wedlock, her skin was too dark and didn't appeal to the middle class. So her existence has been used by subsequent opponents of the civil rights act to attack it, smearing the movement as cynical. They should be ignored out of hand, but alas cynicism is required for positive social change.

Therefore, impact litigation that goes against the prevailing establishment needs a certain quality to their clients. I suppose that's going to matter less in the future. Right now SCOTUS is hearing a case from a homophobic website designer who intends to but currently does not make wedding announcement websites, the right to put a "no gay weddings allowed" banner on her site. No one has sued her, but her and a cabal of evangelical dark money psychopaths have sued the state for the right to discriminate against LGBT clients. This has been appealed all the way up to the loving supreme court, and you know what this pack of 6-3 jackals are about to do.

Mignogna's case was simply ahead of its time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

In a response to Vic flashing those three women, I saw the weirdest deflection "How's Ron beating people with a remote going?" in the comments and I'm sure I probably don't want to know but find myself forced to ask anyway.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dawgstar posted:

In a response to Vic flashing those three women, I saw the weirdest deflection "How's Ron beating people with a remote going?" in the comments and I'm sure I probably don't want to know but find myself forced to ask anyway.

No clue, it's obviously target hate at one of the defendants, Ron Toye, but whether it’s a real incident or one of a million made up things vic stans made up, I don't know, and is hardly relevant to the actual contents of the case.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Julias posted:

No clue, it's obviously target hate at one of the defendants, Ron Toye, but whether it’s a real incident or one of a million made up things vic stans made up, I don't know, and is hardly relevant to the actual contents of the case.

It's a real incident in the sense that Ron Toye once hit his ex on the thigh, I think? with a remote in anger, and he acknowledges that was a dumb rear end in a top hat thing to do, and neither Ron or his ex care about the incident anymore, since Ron is by all accounts a changed man.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It is also, again, irrelevant to the case at hand.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

It's whataboutism to a tee.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
No ur not wearing pants
https://twitter.com/marzgurl/status/1600663702335737856?s=46&t=cXKAByU9AxAjUookUIX5Jg

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Who could have expected any less from Vic "Well No One Ever Told Me NOT To Take Underage Fans Back To My Room" Mignogna :allears:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Could see his explanation as being true, but it's so besides the fact that it's hilarious he feels like it vindicates him alone.

Good measure of a person how they react to something like this. "I made a stupid decision to go pantless in a zoom and I am so so sorry in a moment of absent-mindedness I flashed everyone my crotch. I will be better." vs. "THESE PEOPLE HAVE THE AUDACITY TO try to make me accountable for mistakes i made WHEN I WAS RUNNING LATE."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
His explanation is that he was reaching for "something" behind his laptop but never actually manages to come up with what he might have been reaching for, and doesn't explain why he quit the stream immediately afterwards. He's lying and you shouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

My point was more it doesn't even matter if you did. Bewildering that people are still eager to meet this baby.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Amazing how the most charitable reading of basically anything Vic has ever done in his life at this point is now that he's just the god's honest most stupidest newborn-child-brained perfect special idiot to ever walk the earth and has not learned a single thing from his six decades of existence about right and wrong and he should be judged on his actions as though he was a real life Boo Radley or something.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
A perfectly frictionless brain.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

God I keep forgetting he's 60

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Does his mom still run his fan club?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Happy Landfill posted:

God I keep forgetting he's 60

That he keeps trying frosted tips is probably a distraction.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

He also uses a profile pic from about 20 years ago lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/KathrynTewson/status/1608849757296033792

Welp.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

9 down 1 to go right? Going to the US Supreme Court next?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hughlander posted:

9 down 1 to go right? Going to the US Supreme Court next?

If his lawyers want to spend a big chunk of change to get similarly denied, sure. He has no chance of further appeal.

Petitioning for cert in the SCOTUS is a little bit trickier than just efiling stuff through a state court system. Since Vic will not be granted pauper status, he'll have to send in like 45 published books of his petition for cert. There are a lot of publishers in DC that will take your money to do it, but they are going to require money up front.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, this seems to be the point where the representation can say "I have pushed this case as far as I can reasonably manage and I am under no obligation to pursue it further."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Let’s be honest

He’d have Clarence Thomas for sure

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mr. Nice! posted:

If his lawyers want to spend a big chunk of change to get similarly denied, sure. He has no chance of further appeal.

Petitioning for cert in the SCOTUS is a little bit trickier than just efiling stuff through a state court system. Since Vic will not be granted pauper status, he'll have to send in like 45 published books of his petition for cert. There are a lot of publishers in DC that will take your money to do it, but they are going to require money up front.

He's absolutely gonna do this because he's an idiot.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The next procedural thing in this case will be a new hearing on attorneys fees for the two defendants who won on appeal. There may be a further appeal of those attorneys' fees. Everyone else can proceed to collection as there should be a final judgment for them.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
halftime

the promise has been made

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Alan Smithee posted:

Let’s be honest

He’d have Clarence Thomas for sure

He'd have an uncomfortably large number in the bag for sure.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He's absolutely gonna do this because he's an idiot.

Even if he does, I don't believe the TX courts are going to hold off any longer. There's certainly some window after this order date that it is finalized, but that is just ministerial at this point. The SCOTUS isn't going to grant a stay to proceedings. The judgment is final as to everyone except the two who were awarded too small of a fee award.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Happy new year, thread! :cheers:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
And at the end of the road, he found a sign. The sign read "gently caress you, Vic Mignogna."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

With all the poo poo going on this latest embarrassment barely registers top 3 this week