Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Turns out I was off the mark regarding the name, but yeah, Speedball did do an LP of X-Com Enemy Within, and his work, while showing off the game and its mechanics, focused more on narrative.

Say no more I read the fuuuuck out of Speedball's LP when it hit the LP Archive. The old UFO Defense and Apocalypse LPs by Guava Moment, are the LPs that got me to try X-COM in the first place. By the time Enemy Unknown came out I was already a series fan. I really like the series and the multiple iterations it's taken over the years. I'm really happy that it got a modern revival, and has a modding scene with Open X-COM

Part of me was hoping for some Guava Moment esc files out of our soldiers but. Maybe it's better that we aren't doing that. Some of those got... Odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Yes, there is a 40k mod, and yes those are beastmen imperial guard.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Panzeh posted:

I've long thought about doing a run of Piratez, harmony, or UNEXCOM as someone who knows the OXC mechanics front to back but just haven't been able to find the time. Now the mod i'm enjoying is the 40k one, though it's a bit rough around the edges.

I really don't think you can do Piratez. I mean, everything else about it aside, it's insanely NSFW.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

If Dagon doesn't show up for a long time I would highly encourage you to edit your save. Naturally you should make a backup copy first. I've edited my saves for this game and it's pretty easy. The way the mod and game engine track your progression in the various 'arcs' is literally just by what research topics you have completed. You could even do what I did in the late game and delete the lines in your save that say you researched certain things in order to play an arc again. Want to curbstomp Red Dawn in late 2000 with plasma weapons and powered battle armor? Just delete the research topic for having defeated them to allow their missions to generate again next month! You can figure out the internal names the mod uses for these topics by doing a deep dive into the mod wiki, but be prepared to be spoiled on things.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I bounced hard off Xcom when I was young and playing it on my 386 because A. greys scared me and I was sweating every time I stepped off the Skyranger, and B. I had no notion of savescumming. I'd use walkthroughs all day... Wouldn't savescum. (B. is also why I to this day frown at the memory of Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space.)

Do what you need to do to actually show off the game.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

glwgameplayer posted:

That sounds both extremely cool and extremely dangerous. Imagine if your dog gets shot, and they drop all the grenades they were holding and go off with the force of a nuke

Still a neat tactic though

This sort of thing works best with enemies that their touch is instant death as well, if you have no other way to deal with them. This mod uses more than Crysalids

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Panzeh posted:

I've long thought about doing a run of Piratez, harmony, or UNEXCOM as someone who knows the OXC mechanics front to back but just haven't been able to find the time. Now the mod i'm enjoying is the 40k one, though it's a bit rough around the edges.

Rosigma or vanilla? I had to give it up due to the Nurgle faction throwing grenades that spawn units that act immediately and don't seem to give a drat about armor.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

habituallyred posted:

Rosigma or vanilla? I had to give it up due to the Nurgle faction throwing grenades that spawn units that act immediately and don't seem to give a drat about armor.

Rosigma- hard to pass up the options. Those things are annoying as hell, for sure, but i think nowhere near as bad as 40k vanilla's normal grenade spam.

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
So how are our Soldiers are doing? Was that my first mission?

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

ChaosDragon posted:

So how are our Soldiers are doing? Was that my first mission?

Our soldiers are doing pretty fantastic all things considered. Here are some fun facts about our agents

-Sunny is the highest ranking soldier, at Captain
-Dak has the highest stats of all of our soldiers with a monstrous 97 Firing Accuracy and 129 sanity
-Dak, Lone Badger, Sam O'varr, and Nick Danger have all gone on over 20 missions, the rest of the cast is mostly in the 10-19 range
-The Lone Badger has the highest kill count out of everyone, with 38 kills to his name. 20 of those were scorpions
-Chaos Dragon's first mission was a cult apprehension against Red dawn. But outside of that he's now the secondary sniper on the Helicopter team
-The Soldier with the least number of missions (outside of Velvet the Dog) is Drakneil who got shot by a red dawn member on their second mission and then spent a month in the hospital.
-Somehow none of our soldiers are done training yet, so most of them can still gain stats from working out in the gym

There's actually a really neat service log thing with all of our agents. It's got some nice info in it but I'd rather not take a full update's worth of screenshots just of our stats

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Should I be surprised at how so far this is not nearly as much of a meat grinder as I was expecting?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
We're gonna hit an inflection point soonish where things ramp up to being absurdly lethal for a bit before going back down.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Randalor posted:

Should I be surprised at how so far this is not nearly as much of a meat grinder as I was expecting?

To be fair, I have played this mod before so I know what to expect, for the first year and a half at least. And believe me, this section of the game once you've got Kevlar vests and the enemy is still rolling with normal guns? Relatively safe all things considered. It gets worse

Also since this isn't an ironman playthrough I have reset to save a few people. Namely reversing that EXALT mission at night. That was a disaster so I just, reloaded and didn't attempt it this time

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah, agents actually get really nice stat gains once they're out of the recruit stage, and there's a few tech springboards that can make the earlier part of the game pretty easy.

Spoilers:

One example is getting a pre-invasion UFO, either from the army event, getting the Avro Arrow, and/or getting the alien ship landed close enough to catch it. If you manage to take down the UFO, you'll get tritanium, the armor of which will render almost all human firearms basically harmless.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Panzeh posted:

getting the Avro Arrow

As a registered Canadian I am required to be extremely interested whenever this gets mentioned

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Phy posted:

As a registered Canadian I am required to be extremely interested whenever this gets mentioned

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

glwgameplayer posted:

Also since this isn't an ironman playthrough I have reset to save a few people. Namely reversing that EXALT mission at night. That was a disaster so I just, reloaded and didn't attempt it this time

I love doing missions against humans at night, because they suffer from the same vision penalties you do, but they're not able to lob around electroflares to illuminate enemies and attack from the shadows :ninja:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Neurion posted:

I love doing missions against humans at night, because they suffer from the same vision penalties you do, but they're not able to lob around electroflares to illuminate enemies and attack from the shadows :ninja:

Thats why they have night vision goggles and incendiary ammo.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Neurion posted:

I'm not 100% sure but I'm under the impression that humans still have better vision than you do? Either that or because of the way that the AI operates it has an easier time finding my soldiers.

Either way, I don't appreciate night missions regardless of the target

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

glwgameplayer posted:

I'm not 100% sure but I'm under the impression that humans still have better vision than you do? Either that or because of the way that the AI operates it has an easier time finding my soldiers.

Either way, I don't appreciate night missions regardless of the target

I just checked the files: most humans have either 9 tiles night vision, which is the default they share with you. Or 6, which is considerably worse. Ones that don't are specifically noted to do so.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The biggest issue is one with the engine, if any enemy can see any of your units they are all granted sight on all your units. Which is how you got some of the more bullshit psi stuff in the original.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Zore posted:

The biggest issue is one with the engine, if any enemy can see any of your units they are all granted sight on all your units. Which is how you got some of the more bullshit psi stuff in the original.

That issue is not the case in OpenXCom, I think it's more likely a situation of spotter-sniper, where a hostile unit moves close enough to see your units for that turn, retreats back, and then all his friends pelt your poorly-armored agents as if they could see you.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Zore posted:

Neurion posted:

That issue is not the case in OpenXCom, I think it's more likely a situation of spotter-sniper, where a hostile unit moves close enough to see your units for that turn, retreats back, and then all his friends pelt your poorly-armored agents as if they could see you.

If one enemy sees one of your units then all AI units know where they are but can't target them. If that enemy was tagged as a spotter then enemies tagged as snipers have a chance to target that unit even out of their line of sight for a number of turns equal to the spotter's spotter value. Big caveat however, in this game your unit is counted as "seen" when it either enters an enemy's line of sight or if it hits an enemy. So if you shoot a spotter, even if you kill them from outside of their line of sight, you are still open to sniper fire for potentially several turns. Also sniper fire can be grenades so taking cover won't necessarily help.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
That does however apply to you too so abuse it as much as they do if you want to survive.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Damaging or being seen by someone with Spotter will make the unit doing the damage or spotted visible to every enemy for X rounds, X being the intelligence of the Spotter that varies from 1-4ish. The three groups we have been facing regularly have pretty average night vision, Dagonites have the best. Most t3+ enemies have spotter or sniper. A trick you can do for night against humans is to carry a flashlight, click it on at the start of your turn, look around, click it off. move, click it on to see if anything is there. then click it off again. this keeps reaction fire down.

You can really see the spotter mechanic at work when you have one dude doing your night shooting. Take a shot with a hunting rifle on the thing you spotted. Move someone who hasnt been seen and body block the sniper. Sniper needs to move closer as it des not have a clear line of fire because the agent it cant see is blocking the spotting unit from fire.

Sniper shots are at a penalty compared to if the shooter can see the target themself, so there is that.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 9, 2022

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Yeah shots at enemies you can't see directly are at half accuracy.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Phy posted:

Well, here you go:

It used to be that the Avro Arrow was one of four items you could get from military computer hacking, the other useful result being military sonic weapons development, then two useless point techs. It looks like they've changed it so now you get the Avro Arrow rumors from high ranking EXALT prisoners or top secret files, and it's a pretty low percentage on either.

Normally, fighters that are fast enough to shoot down UFOs are gated behind the final promotion, but the Arrow is a shortcut- it is still horrifically bad as a fighter and can really only take down tiny and medium scouts but it's an option.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Panzeh posted:

Well, here you go:

it is still horrifically bad as a fighter and can really only take down tiny and medium scouts but it's an option.

That's actually kind of perfect tbh. It was pretty advanced for 1958, especially if the model with the Iroquois engines had ever flown, and interception was its entire reason for existing - blapping radar-guided missiles at Bear bombers coming over the pole - but now it'd be as outdated as any of its contemporaries like the F-106 or the Lightning. But there were always fun little rumors that one escaped being shredded and was squirreled away somewhere.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

At first I thought it was someone in the mod team (assuming it isn't just one person) was Canadian and wanted to make that abundantly clear. But it also works with the conspiracy angle that works with X-COM. Nice that they realised that even an intact CF-105 doing everything it possibly could have, it would still be outclassed thanks to 4 decades of technological advances.

Also, I remember going to the Air and Space Museum in Ottawa and being absolutely floored by how loving big the Arrow would've been. I guess they put a Hornet nearby for a sense of scale and it absolutely dwarfs it.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Just got done with another recording and good news bad news. The good news is the game is standing up and we're getting into some more dangerous stuff.
The bad news is that we didn't get much of anything for it because once again Dagon isn't answering my calls. I'm starting to think the game is bugged or something. That or our luck is just really, really bad. Maybe interrogating a Church of Dagon member will remind them to be mad at us? I don't know.

Anyway, I think I might do as recommended and just, hack a Tier 2 Church of Dagon member into our clutches because. We kinda need it. And I'd rather not continue slowly getting behind the enemies in terms of power because that happened to me once and it was really bad

Incidentally, I don't actually know how to edit my save file so... if someone could help me out or at least point me in the direction where I can find out how that would be appreciated.

Also, I was scared that the Allenium Shard Awakening didn't go through but. As it turns out, I'm missing a few prerequisites for it. Once we get those done Our Ai Unit will appear

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 12, 2022

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

edit the research to require an iron pipe instead :v

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016

glwgameplayer posted:

Just got done with another recording and good news bad news. The good news is the game is standing up and we're getting into some more dangerous stuff.
The bad news is that we didn't get much of anything for it because once again Dagon isn't answering my calls. I'm starting to think the game is bugged or something. That or our luck is just really, really bad. Maybe interrogating a Church of Dagon member will remind them to be mad at us? I don't know.

Anyway, I think I might do as recommended and just, hack a Tier 2 Church of Dagon member into our clutches because. We kinda need it. And I'd rather not continue slowly getting behind the enemies in terms of power because that happened to me once and it was really bad

Incidentally, I don't actually know how to edit my save file so... if someone could help me out or at least point me in the direction where I can find out how that would be appreciated.

Also, I was scared that the Allenium Shard Awakening didn't go through but. As it turns out, I'm missing a few prerequisites for it. Once we get those done Our Ai Unit will appear

Your save should be located in your Open Xcom folder inside /user/x-com-files, open it in any text editor like notepad and do a search for the name of the base you want to add the item to, so Rat Hill in this case. The easiest way to find the storage for your base is to then search for "items:", which will take you to the first craft in the base, then the second and third etc, then it will take you to base storage. Into that list you want to add STR_DISCIPLE_OF_DAGON, it shouldn't matter where, and you're done.

edit: Oh one more thing, some text editors will add tabs to the start of a new line which OpenXcom doesn't like, so double check everything before the STR on the line you add is a space and not a tab.

Dire Lemming fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 12, 2022

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Dire Lemming posted:

edit: Oh one more thing, some text editors will add tabs to the start of a new line which OpenXcom doesn't like, so double check everything before the STR on the line you add is a space and not a tab.
At least it's courteous enough to let you know exactly which line of the save file it had an issue with and fall back to the load menu rather than crashing out entirely.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I learned enough programming in my life to know that proper Exception Handling is a vastly underappreciated science.
So that's yet another point for you, SupSuper.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

A month ago, somebody made an AI mod that massively improves the behavior of the AI in this game- it works in all mods, though I think mods are balanced against the braindeadedness of the original AI. I convinced the maker to put a toggle for pre-priming grenades because the turn 1 move of an enemy who's not near another is actually to pre-prime a grenade if they have it so they have a cheap grenade attack, which means they will often drop a primed grenade when they die or are stunned.

(Targeting behavior 1-4 is how squad-sighty/cheaty the AI is about attacking, 1 is enemies can only attack what they can themselves see, 2 is they can only attack what they or their teammates can see, 3 is they can attack squares where there was fire from even if they can't see it, 4 is totally unrestricted(omniscient) targeting. Omniscience is omniscience with respect to their movements and evaluation of threats rather than attacking- it's not as unfair as it sounds since humans can tell what tiles are spawns, etc.)

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Dire Lemming posted:

Your save should be located in your Open Xcom folder inside /user/x-com-files, open it in any text editor like notepad and do a search for the name of the base you want to add the item to, so Rat Hill in this case. The easiest way to find the storage for your base is to then search for "items:", which will take you to the first craft in the base, then the second and third etc, then it will take you to base storage. Into that list you want to add STR_DISCIPLE_OF_DAGON, it shouldn't matter where, and you're done.

Hacker Voice: I'm in

Seriously though I've given myself a Disciple of Dagon because we've been kind of stalling for a bit. Look forward to that, although it's going to be the post after this one since I recorded a session in a feeble attempt to get one legitimately

It only took me 3 failed attempts to figure out what I was doing wrong (I have to match the first character of the item with the same column every other first character is on. Which feels easy to realize but hey, I've never programmed or edited something in my life without instructions)

Panzeh posted:

A month ago, somebody made an AI mod that massively improves the behavior of the AI in this game- it works in all mods, though I think mods are balanced against the braindeadedness of the original AI. I convinced the maker to put a toggle for pre-priming grenades because the turn 1 move of an enemy who's not near another is actually to pre-prime a grenade if they have it so they have a cheap grenade attack, which means they will often drop a primed grenade when they die or are stunned.

Alright that's really cool, but I'm not sure if I want the AI to be smarter. I've had a couple of really harrowing missions this time around and I'm not sure if I want to fight Werewolves with Ninja tactics. God forbid I have to fight a smart Black Lotus assassin

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 12, 2022

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Yeah, the idea with some of these enemies thinking with an actual brain is kind of terrifying.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Sign me up as Detective Gumshoe, who uses Handguns and will probably die very fast and happily takes on undercover work.

Definitely enjoying the LP!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

NewMars posted:

Yeah, the idea with some of these enemies thinking with an actual brain is kind of terrifying.

First terror mission with brutal AI - eight grenades fly into the smoke cloud outside the skyranger on turn 2. There's one survivor. Now this is with a mod that gives aliens 2 grenades each because in the mid you get alien explosives by harvesting them from grenades but still. Well played, but haha it convinced me to give the modder the toggle to not pre-prime grenades.

Part of it is, grenades in vanilla in general are overpowered as hell, especially when you pre-prime them, which is why all the megamods nerf them.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016

glwgameplayer posted:

Alright that's really cool, but I'm not sure if I want the AI to be smarter. I've had a couple of really harrowing missions this time around and I'm not sure if I want to fight Werewolves with Ninja tactics. God forbid I have to fight a smart Black Lotus assassin

So much of the balancing in mega-mods like this is based around the idea that the AI is really dumb and needs a leg up on the player in most aspects to be a challenge so I definitely wouldn't recommend Brutal AI on anything but vanilla. Black Lotus assassins are actually a good example of this, they have way better camo than the player will ever get because the AI has no idea how to use it. So the only way to have a sneaky enemy is to make their camo value completely absurd.

Dire Lemming fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Dec 13, 2022