Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Dug into my light aquifer, attempted to clear it out, gave up after a point and decided to just wall it off, but all the walls I've manually built have become light aquifer tiles immediately upon placement. You really gotta either go for broke or wall this stuff off immediately, huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Jailbird rear end turkey knows what it did.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nessus posted:

Plains start can work out but you gotta get down. Also you really really really want to build a stockade around your poo poo asap.

Can it truly claim to be a Dwarf Fortress if the entrance is just a hole in the ground instead of a grand edifice carved into the mountainside?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Wereskink contagion contained!!! Only the two locked into my little hospital turned. Now what do I do with them...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Can it truly claim to be a Dwarf Fortress if the entrance is just a hole in the ground instead of a grand edifice carved into the mountainside?
Youre digging a hole, it counts. Mega project: build a synthetic mountain

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Build an inverted mountain, like some kind of antlion pit but full of crossbowdwarves

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

sebmojo posted:

ok, gonna do a gangtag run - but it does require some kind of dwarf story! no rewards without industry.

I appreciate getting the tag and will update this thread once my first fort produced a worthy story. I expect my poor and hasty planning to be a major contributor.

Oh, and I struck silver before setting my military up, so lol, lmao.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
One project I've always wanted to try was a fort that's centered around a giant spiral ramp with a deep pit in the center. It's inefficient and dangerous but might be a fun design gimmick.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm not sure if this is true but I've seen several people on reddit claiming that the new job system will auto prioritize dwarves with high skills to do tasks, which is nice.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

My first steam fortress "Machinecrypts" died - ran for about 13 hours of play, late summer year 103.

A bronze colossus started rampaging. I was content to let it kill the occasional pasture animal or dwarf baby because I thought I had my fort all sealed up.
It also attacked the visiting human caravan and won handedly.

Unfortunately there was a hole in my entrance fortifications I didn't spot. So the colossus just got in. My militia fought, but as basically just random soldiers that joined via my tavern. They all died defending the entryway.

There was nothing I could do but draft everyone and see if together they could take it down.
That didn't work. Someone did manage to get it to fall in the river. I thought that might have been at least neutralized, but it managed to climb out and continued pulping heads.
Eventually I expelled everyone I could. Some managed to get away.

The colossus started with garbage stats and by the end was tough strong and agile. It didn't take a single hit.

It's not possible to expel nobles, so after all but a few rando visitors had left or died, my mayor fought the monster 1v1 and was extremely stomped.

I didn't really keep track of who survived and who didn't, but I hope the legendary weaponsmith that migrated in, got out.

Gangtag please?

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

holy smokes, weapon racks and armor stands in barracks with individual equipment selected actually hold stuff now, though it seemed to create an endless loop between them and the manually assigned stockpiles in the same barracks.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Harminoff posted:

160k sold already! Hell yeah Tarn getting a much deserved payday this month!
Steam being Steam and since I can't imagine KitFox holding up things on their end, Tarn and Zach won't be getting paid until some time in February.

emdash posted:

Does FPS essentially control game speed? What speed do most people play at?
FPS controls the speed of the simulation, yes.

I play at 50 fps because I like to be able to follow-along during combat and other things, but I know one of the Q/A testers for the game and they play at 1600 by keeping the game paused for most of the time, and only letting the simulation run for a second at a time.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I wish I could hit a button to swap between classic and modern graphics modes. In some ways the old matrix style was "clearer" once you learned it.
The early preview of the ASCII mode in Premium DF seemed to imply that they'd be using the same set of menus and shortcuts, so the thing I'm struggling with (finding where the gently caress they put things which I know are still in the game) won't be fixed by that.
I just need to play more DF, clearly.

Super No Vacancy posted:

is it safe to increase my starting zone to 4x4 or whatever if i have a pretty good rig
The things that'll bog down even the most powerful computers is things like catsplotions or if you up the number of enemies participating in sieges (in the advanced difficulty settings).
Siege size is also controlled by the number of set-of-two-tiles on the border, since every set of two tiles is where one enemy can spawn, but only up to the maximum you set in the settings.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, my God. I just started watching Nookrium's tutorial and I was doing everything wrong from moment 1. How, you may ask? I started my fortress on the plains, not the mountains. Which is why I couldn't dig an entrance tunnel because no mountains. I was avoiding the mountains because they said no trees.

Headdesk. All those sad little dwarves, wandering around going "Thorkir Not Like Green Stuff" and "Why Egil's Life So Shallow"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEt87BikHzA (this might go in OP?)
BlindIRL is doing a LP tutorial where he takes things slow and explains everything as he does it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiLI4LR3lWs

He also has many quick tutorials on how to do advanced things like burrows and hospitals correctly.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
just had a 1-year-old dwarven child go secretive, haul four different stones to a crafter shop, and come out a legendary stonecrafter. incredible

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

FPS controls the speed of the simulation, yes.

I play at 50 fps because I like to be able to follow-along during combat and other things, but I know one of the Q/A testers for the game and they play at 1600 by keeping the game paused for most of the time, and only letting the simulation run for a second at a time.

Oh my. This is good to know.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Clocks posted:

I would like to request a gang tag please!

A lot has happened in my fort but here's the first request I received:

Of all the worshippers that could have wanted their own temple, it was The Moist Faith. So of course I built them a nice one, and the head priest is named the Sacred Lobster. I love this game. :allears:

I think I got skipped, or I guess building a temple for a cool moist faith wasn't as interesting as I thought.

So I'd like to request a gang tag again, and this time I offer up my digging through the legends of a scholar that moved into my fort, Oddom Bonesoiled. She started off as an herbalist and quickly became a doctor, but I guess she was more interested in the research side of things since she moved to a library to pursue a scholarship.

She discovered suturing, then wrote a manuscript called "Can Sutures Save the World?" in 89. In 90 she wrote a manual called "Better Suturing."

Basically this dwarf was the inventor of modern medicine as we know it! (Despite this, I wouldn't say she had much doctoring skill since she spent all her time being scholarly instead.) Anyway, she ended up in my fort and penned "True Suturing" there, as well as one more scroll:

What mistake? :iiam:

EDIT: and as I post this I see I got my gang tag :downs: thank you so much!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
random wildlife is so dangerous now maybe I just go full cave dwarves

or alternatively, set up permanent military patrols outside the front of my fort to keep murdering random agitated eagle women or whatever

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ok, updated the op and ran the tags.

IronicDongz posted:

random wildlife is so dangerous now maybe I just go full cave dwarves

or alternatively, set up permanent military patrols outside the front of my fort to keep murdering random agitated eagle women or whatever

this was actually a bug! apparently fishing was driving the wildlife completely insane, toady fixed it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Classic Dwarfin. Do we need to update on steam somehow?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

sebmojo posted:

this was actually a bug! apparently fishing was driving the wildlife completely insane, toady fixed it.
so they say, but I had no fishing being done and yet my expedition leader was getting her head clawed open by vultures, a dwarven child was strangled to death by a giant butterfly, and a giant tick slammed into someone so hard they skidded across the ground leaving a trail of blood until they hit a rock and their head exploded

like half of this happened after the update, too

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

IronicDongz posted:

so they say, but I had no fishing being done and yet my expedition leader was getting her head clawed open by vultures, a dwarven child was strangled to death by a giant butterfly, and a giant tick slammed into someone so hard they skidded across the ground leaving a trail of blood until they hit a rock and their head exploded

like half of this happened after the update, too

i mean if you go outside, what do u expect, need to get underground where it's safe and cool

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
I can't even get a story because I'm barely able to get a couple workshops up before the game randomly crashes. Not opening any menus just waiting for some work to complete and suddenly it closes. No widescreen monitor either so hasn't been related to that (even running the settings they said to)

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

how do you change the fps other than nvidia control panel

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Although I haven't had a chance to test it extensively, it appears that one thing about military dorfs haven't changed:

All combat is still about causing the most amount of pain until one of the combatants panics and becomes an easy kill.
If you have your dorfs be good at dodging, they can dodge into danger. If your dorf has armor, the maximum damage they can take on any covered limb is reduced. If your dorf has a shield, they can block any attack (even dragon fire, though since everything around them will also be on fire, it's hard to avoid them getting toasted).

sebmojo posted:

i mean if you go outside, what do u expect, need to get underground where it's safe and cool
Untamed wilds are insanely dangerous now, to the point that any critter can and will be agitated by even moderate amounts of building, and will then proceed to attack you. Constantly. In a never-ending stream.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 8, 2022

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Don't know this is enough to get tagged, but I committed my first oops before even really getting a fortress off the ground.

Because I felt like being fancy, I decided to create a multi z-level entrance to my fort (think Ironforge) with vertical stone walls. In the process of doing so, I forgot that floors and walls are separate objects, so I was left with an unsightly dirt overhang above the beginnings of my giant entryway. Instead of doing the smart thing and tagging each floor tile for removal individually, I drag-selected the entire section.

Cue my only miner cutting away the last supporting floor section while standing on the overhang, resulting in the remaining section collapsing under him and leaving me with a gore-spattered pile of rubble where I once had a dwarf. Lesson learned :sweatdrop:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Bloody Pom posted:

Cue my only miner cutting away the last supporting floor section while standing on the overhang, resulting in the remaining section collapsing under him and leaving me with a gore-spattered pile of rubble where I once had a dwarf. Lesson learned :sweatdrop:

And that dwarf's name? Wile E. Coyote

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Well I flooded my decently going ~3 year old fortress while trying to figure out how channeling, levers, and floodgates worked, but that's fine because I think I learned how right before disaster struck. Tried another fortress and I was still in the middle of making rooms when 6 human invaders arrived and slaughtered my entire fort. I'm not really sure why they attacked or if they might have been undead or something but that's fine because I was having trouble finding soil anyway. Think I'm understanding what I need to build and start making right away so it's taking less and less time to get up and running pretty well.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

how do you change the fps other than nvidia control panel

in the settings menu you can choose the max fps

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sebmojo posted:

Raised drawbridge blocking a passage is still completely safe right?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Ablative posted:

And that dwarf's name? Wile E. Coyote

Between this and the dwarven atom smasher, I'm convinced DF operates on Looney Tunes physics. I know now to save making my fort aesthetically pleasing for when I have the basic functions already set up (and enough migrants to get away with the occasional casualty through misadventure).

Kharan
Jun 28, 2005
Ned is dead

Loving it so far, my first forts in like 10 years. The first one was destroyed by Giant Parakeets descending upon us like birds of prey. The second one is still going, but there's a Hydra on the map who's killed all the dwarves who wandered that way. I quickly learned burrows were the thing, just have to expand them to cover plants and fishing.

For a gang tag story (and I hope this isn't too stimperical), in an early fort I had The Tower of Punishment. It was built to be tall enough so that any goblins thrown from the top would have their limbs broken, but would provide entertainment for the lions and alligators down below.

The default autosave frequency should definitely be seasonal, just lost loads of playtime because of a crash.

My QoL wishlist:

-see amount of resources available in the workshop's build screen
-see the happiness of the selected dwarf
-autopause for immigrants and dwarf deaths
-pausable fights
-burrows and zones to be automatically added down across multiple z-levels

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

On that note, is there a simple way to order dwarves indoors? Sometimes I just want to keep them out of bad weather or whatever. Do I just burrow my whole fortress?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Appoda posted:

On that note, is there a simple way to order dwarves indoors? Sometimes I just want to keep them out of bad weather or whatever. Do I just burrow my whole fortress?

I think setting up a meeting area like a tavern will achieve this. Also be sure to deconstruct the wagon once you've unloaded it, as I believe it's automatically flagged as a meeting area.

Kharan
Jun 28, 2005
Ned is dead

Also yeah, I have a big rear end dining area with chairs and tables (1+1) but the dwarves refuse to use it, congregating just on the meeting hall. Any idea why? They won't use the dining area even though I remove the meeting hall.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Started a new fort on a haunted biome, which adds the bonus challenge of trying to throw anything that dies down a little hole in the floor that leads to a deep underground ocean where the honoured dead (and goblins, random birds, and animal hair) battle with lizardmen on the seabed forever.
Or somebody tries to actually bring them to the catacombs where they inevitably reanimate a few feet from reaching a coffin and decapitate a toddler. Who then gets thrown in the pit.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm guffawing over Boatmurdered, but I'm invested in a character. Does anybody know if Mariguana managed to salvage their grade on the final after they forgot to fill in one part of the exam?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I have no idea if this is true or how you would figure that out

E. Apparently there are translators online and they're right lol

https://twitter.com/xoxogossipgita/status/1600673750281691136?t=5H5DK9LTdCp6zzPbukw3ig&s=19

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Like this! https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Language

EDIT: n/m beaten with the quick edit

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004
If I could ask for a little help:

1.) Is there a way to make a tomb that's one giant room with a bunch of coffins in it and have my dwarves not stack all the dead people on top of each other? I tried setting the whole room as a tomb, and I tried destroying that zone and making a bunch of one-tile tombs over each coffin, but either way everybody gets dumped into the first coffin I placed. Efficient, sure, but not the grand burial space I'd envisioned.

2.) What does it mean that my carpenter has the unmet need "be with family"? She's apparently "lonely after being away from family for too long", but she regularly has No Job and is free to do as she pleases, as far as I can tell. I think I remember back in the old days a military patrol schedule that went on too long might do something like that, but I don't have a military yet. Her relations tab shows no family in the fort, is the game just referring to her family back where the expedition came from? Or was she maybe married to my dead fisherdwarf and he just disappears from the relations tab upon death?

In other news I got my first petition to join the fort, from a bard who's...bad with words. Maybe bards are more about the instruments than lyrics, but still.

Also as much as I liked the graphics out of the gate, they're getting even more charming the more new stuff I come across. Just look at this adorable little dude:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kharan posted:

Also yeah, I have a big rear end dining area with chairs and tables (1+1) but the dwarves refuse to use it, congregating just on the meeting hall. Any idea why? They won't use the dining area even though I remove the meeting hall.
It will be used to eat but not socialize. Designate it as a tavern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is actually one of my favorite entrances, just a 1x1 stairwell heading down into the ground in the middle of nowhere, no adornments or indication that anything of note is there.