Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Factoids from the call:

70% of players play commander
1/3 have played <3 years, 1/3 have played >10 years
>50% play both in paper and online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Factoids from the call:

1/3 have played <3 years, 1/3 have played >10 years
>50% play both in paper and online.

Christ, i know commander was the most popular format but 70%!?!?!?!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I mean, its not "plays commander exclusively" so that's pretty reasonable

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Did they say they're getting that from surveys or from Commander precon sales? That seems like a very hard metric to pin down.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

There was some long 40 page survey that went out to some people and got leaked out over reddit, I know I participated in. Could be from that.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I wonder if "play commander" is defined as playing x amount of times per month? Or is it just "has played commander in the last year" or something?

70% seems crazy to me, but I guess if it's just "plays once in a blue moon" it could make sense

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Strong Sauce posted:

thanks for posting this. i think you struck a nice balance between writing every single interaction (what i would have done) and just summarizing.

btw, how much was your draft night? one of my LGS has kept it at like $25 (inc tax) while my closer LGS has made it $35 (w/out tax)... may be misremembering but it was a bit of a difference.
This post was like twenty pages ago but I just noticed it. It was $20, which seems good, if yours is anything to compare to. Next time I'll actually stick around for the prizing so I can compare that too.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
It always seemed like there were doubts on format numbers because it was assumed that kitchen table players were a huge untouched and non surveyed group.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Jiro posted:

There was some long 40 page survey that went out to some people and got leaked out over reddit, I know I participated in. Could be from that.

I love filling those out and say I hate everything they are doing and also I make a million dollars a year.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I wonder if "play commander" is defined as playing x amount of times per month? Or is it just "has played commander in the last year" or something?

70% seems crazy to me, but I guess if it's just "plays once in a blue moon" it could make sense

The frequency of how much you played each format was in that survey. Completely plausible.

bigperm posted:

I love filling those out and say I hate everything they are doing and also I make a million dollars a year.

Oh I just wrote loving ESSAYS oh how much I've hated a bunch of predatory poo poo they've been doing, was cathartic to write and at the same time I knew it wouldn't loving matter. Lol................. :smith:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's crazy because commander is more like monopoly than magic. It bears very little similarity to the magic that i grew up playing lol

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

mcmagic posted:

It's crazy because commander is more like monopoly than magic. It bears very little similarity to the magic that i grew up playing lol

commander is the most popular form of m:tg so it sounds like monopoly is very magic-like actually. wait, what on earth are you talking about?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Good, because you were probably a big, dumb nerd.

Commander is Chad Magic. Get with the program.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

30% of players lie.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the thing about commander is that there's a lot of ways to play commander and if you and your friends want to play it in a certain way that appeals to you it's built in that you're allowed to do that, so go ham

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I have no doubts that their flawed surveying and their usual very sound data analytics led to wizards finding the 70% number. It’s also not shocking that a world where competitive magic barely exists edh could thrive even more.

It also doesn’t seem to matter except how they respond based on this information.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, I can believe 70% of people surveyed have played some amount of commander ever. Who knows how many describe themselves as commander players.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I mean, I can believe 70% of people surveyed have played some amount of commander ever. Who knows how many describe themselves as commander players.

Right. And the threshold of playing paper and also have played arena is pretty easy too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Good, because you were probably a big, dumb nerd.

Commander is Chad Magic. Get with the program.

as if there are magic players who aren't big dumb nerds

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Sickening posted:

Right. And the threshold of playing paper and also have played arena is pretty easy too.

Yeah, I mean it's not like they don't do cross promotional stuff between the two (even if it's not what it should be).

frankly, if you play paper it's hard to see how you'd have possibly escaped playing commander at some point given how hard they've pushed it over the last decade - you'd basically either need to exclusively play limited or just conceptually hate the poo poo out of the format

even the sort of person who would grind tournaments (if they existed) is almost certain to get roped into playing commander occasionally, because that level of dedication to the game implies it's a substantial social outlet

less serious people who'd do organized play at pre-releases/FNMs and the like also are almost certainly going to get roped in given the death of Standard and network effect of other "magic people" playing edh, the ease of getting started/maintaining decks given the format's eternal nature and flood of supporting products, ability to support old and pet cards for returning players returning after a hiatus, etc.

and while most talk about autarchic "kitchen table" players always sounds like unsupported "silent majority" posturing, it's genuinely not hard to imagine that the decade+ of concentrated effort by Wizards and the qualities listed above (as well as things like only ever needing one of any given "good card," Timmy appeal of Legends as face-of-the-deck, variance of play, and scalability to playgroup size) have succeeded in a defacto standardization of casual constructed play for a lot of them too

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
I heard the survey found out 100% of magic players play magic, investors were very interested in this.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

As a filthy casual who has friends getting into the hobby for the first time, I think experienced magic players really underestimate the allure of having a wide variety of interesting precons combined with a format that lets people easily use the random pet cards they’ve picked up over time without needing multiples.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

weekly font posted:

M30 wasn’t mentioned at all in the corpocall but Warhammer and DnD sets were cranked off so that all but confirms it was a massive failure to me. No way they aren’t talking about how yooooooge it was on an investor call if their one thousand dollar set didn’t make them bank.

They did talk about it. They said they scaled it back after backlash. Lol

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Victor Surge posted:

I heard the survey found out 100% of magic players play magic, investors were very interested in this.

bullshit, I'm sure there is at least 1% who just make decks and then never play them and just complain online

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

bullshit, I'm sure there is at least 1% who just make decks and then never play them and just complain online

Let's not forget the ones who don't even make the decks in the first place!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

70% of Magic players play Commander sounds about right based on people I play with IRL

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I’m a proud 30%er. :meowth:

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I’m a proud 30%er. :meowth:
:hmmyes:

No one else I know plays Commander, or MTG at all, and I feel like going to a constructed FNM easier or less awkward to slot into than maybe an established Commander pod. I also find all the rule 0 or deck power level stuff a little too convoluted.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I've never played commander even though I'm sure I would enjoy it. I mostly only play with my friends who are not into magic that much. We play using the dual decks I made myself. They are all singleton so its kind of like commander I guess.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Speaking anecdotally just from folks at my LGS we can usually get around 8 people for Modern, sometimes just 5 or 6, but there are about 8 regulars. Commander is similar, 8 core people but a lot more who just show up once every month or so. I'd say that overall I've seen maybe 20 people play in at least one Commander game more than once. Of those two groups just me and one other play in both. The other Modern players are either casual players with a deck that they keep just for this or dudes who aspire to win bigger events and are just grinding out practice. And the Commander players have never expressed interest in Modern or any other format other than Pauper. Just needing one copy of a card is a big deal for most of them from what I've heard.

Also on a different note, I bought a box of Jumpstart 2022 because I love playing games of it with people. I'd like to keep the packs as they are for the foreseeable future. I found these like reusable booster packs called cubeamajigs, has anyone else ever used them and can tell me if they're worth picking up?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Cubamajigs are great. I have 25 packs of Jumpstart 2020 sleeved up and cubamajigged. Each one is juuuust barely big enough to hold twenty sleeved cards and the title card thingy.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
If you want a little extra room in your packs, you could get Keyforge deck boxes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

They don't have enough players to offer that many queues without huge wait times.

I think this is a self fulfilling prophecy and thus a bad excuse

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

big cummers ONLY posted:

Cubamajigs are great. I have 25 packs of Jumpstart 2020 sleeved up and cubamajigged. Each one is juuuust barely big enough to hold twenty sleeved cards and the title card thingy.

also seconding cubesmajigs as being a quality product and perfect for this application (as well as cubes)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
in recent video Professor mentioned WotC doesn't talk to him or like him. To me he seems like the "main" Magic youtuber person, someone could easily recommend to anyone. Probably the only content creator for Magic I've heard discussed in person.

My guess is that he isn't a dedicated rear end-kisser and will advocate buying singles (which wizards has to like since it means they can sell secret lairs and 280 booster boxes whenever they want) and he reviews products fairly honestly, albeit still generous towards WotC's side of things.

Game Knights is the one WotC sponsor's directly, right? Fun enough show when the main dudes aren't steamrolling guests but I guess I've never seen them knock WotC in any way and they also seem scared and apologize a lot when going through scripts for eps.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, they used to, bu then he calls out their bullshit and who needs that amirite?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
It's telling that they wouldn't want to work with the most well known and generally reliable content creator who has probably drawn in tens of thousands of paying customers to them just because he gives candid reviews of their products

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Professor is friends with Gavin so it’s definitely not a “we will not engage” kind of thing, but I’m sure they’re definitely salty about him being fair about their bullshit instead of fawning over everything.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Khanstant posted:

in recent video Professor mentioned WotC doesn't talk to him or like him.

This has been the case for years and he's been very public about it. They do not like it when he shits on bad products and he refused to only publish glowing reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

The last time I think they worked with him was that $250 fetchland Secret Lair box thing, which was a bullshit product. He had Gavin on and did an initial puff piece about it, but then later criticized it and that was it. He doesn't even get preview cards anymore.