Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

AFAIK the warranty doesn't transfer past the first person to purchase it from an authorised dealer, so just be aware of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Mirras, maybe, but I don't think $300 aerons exist anymore (if they ever did). It's rare to see one for less than $600.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Unsinkabear posted:

Mirras, maybe, but I don't think $300 aerons exist anymore (if they ever did). It's rare to see one for less than $600.

Agreed with you around every major metro, but that's not going to stop rando Redditors and goons barging in and subtly dropping they picked up their Remastered Aeron for $5 and a Snickers bar on FB Marketplace. There will always be exceptions to the rule, but everybody and their mom resells Aerons for big money.

I paid like $600 for my classic, it's been fine, but I always do wonder how much nicer it would be if I spent $1200 new including a discount. And I'd have adjustable leather armrests :v:

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 23, 2022

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Unsinkabear posted:

Very first search I did even.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 23, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

blugu64 posted:

Where is this? The supply must be massive if those are not exceptions to the rule and that is an average selling price there.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Aeron Remasters definitely go for $600+ second hand but being in the SF bay area along with lots of office closures since the pandemic means there are a lot of classic chairs around for 300-400$

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

blugu64 posted:

Where do you live, though? Without that info this post is just a beautifully immediate illustration of Inner Light's point, lol

infraboy posted:

Aeron Remasters definitely go for $600+ second hand but being in the SF bay area along with lots of office closures since the pandemic means there are a lot of classic chairs around for 300-400$

Is there a straightforward summary of the differences between classic and remastered somewhere that I can take a peep at? Would make that buying decision a lot more informed

E: should have specified that I was struggling to find a comparison not published by a furniture store actively selling the Remastered. This makes the changes sound pretty minor though

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 24, 2022

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeHughLsLAw

Pretty good breakdown, I guess the big differences are the lumbar support and the pivot point on the newer remastered, seems relatively minor and don’t think youre missing out a lot on the classic if you’re on a budget. The Mirra 2 is supposed to be just as good albeit i’ve never sat in one myself. Wouldn’t mind trying an Embody if I find a good deal on one.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Unsinkabear posted:

Inner Light posted:

Agreed with you around every major metro, but that's not going to stop rando Redditors and goons barging in and subtly dropping they picked up their Remastered Aeron for $5 and a Snickers bar on FB Marketplace. There will always be exceptions to the rule, but everybody and their mom resells Aerons for big money.

I paid like $600 for my classic, it's been fine, but I always do wonder how much nicer it would be if I spent $1200 new including a discount. And I'd have adjustable leather armrests :v:

Unsinkabear posted:

Where do you live, though? Without that info this post is just a beautifully immediate illustration of Inner Light's point, lol

Frankly I was only responding to your claim that the $300 aeron didn’t, if ever, exist. Not that it matters but a top 10 metro area.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

blugu64 posted:

Frankly I was only responding to your claim that the $300 aeron didn’t, if ever, exist. Not that it matters but a top 10 metro area.

Yes fair point. I didn't mean to come off harsh, a lot of this thread is going to be justifying the (correct) opinion that a spendy chair is often worth it. :v:

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
How long should I give a chair to feel right before I give up on it? I upgraded to a Markus from a $100 Canadian Tire task chair about a week ago and I am not enjoying the experience very much so far. I'm not sure how much of it is my body punishing me for actually attempting to sit like a human being for once or the chair just not being for me.

The arm rests were atrocious and I could not sit comfortably at my desk with them attached so I took them off, but now I'm noticing that my shoulders/neck and back are under a lot more strain than I'm used to. The back support doesn't seem particularly great, or maybe it's just at the wrong height for me. I'm about 5'9, 220lb, so kinda chunky but not out of spec for the chair. Almost feels like the seat pan isn't big enough and there's a lot of pressure points on my thighs when sitting with the chair fully forward.

I'm going to pick up a lumbar pillow and give it a go while working on my posture and ergonomics but how long should I give it before I give up and return it and try something else?

fart_man_69
May 18, 2009
A week or two maybe if you really want to, but the Markus isn't a particularly great chair and I'd just get something else.

Had an opportunity to try an Embody. Not mindblowing as I'd hoped for, just nice. Ordered a Haworth Fern for half the price, will be interesting to see how it compares.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

fart_man_69 posted:

Had an opportunity to try an Embody. Not mindblowing as I'd hoped for, just nice. Ordered a Haworth Fern for half the price, will be interesting to see how it compares.

The thing about the embody is that it it’s the same level of nice 16 hours later as it was when you first sat in it (and that you can adjust it to be however you want). You’ll be underwhelmed at first but for Serious Endurance Desk Sitting there’s nothing better I’ve found

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Sent in my down payment for my embody. Now to patiently wait.
I didn't realize I could probably grab $300+ for my Gen 1 aeron still. That's great.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

tehinternet posted:

The thing about the embody is that it it’s the same level of nice 16 hours later as it was when you first sat in it (and that you can adjust it to be however you want). You’ll be underwhelmed at first but for Serious Endurance Desk Sitting there’s nothing better I’ve found

This is my experience as well. Mine is six months old now and it feels just as good as the first day I got it even after a long day.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

fart_man_69 posted:

A week or two maybe if you really want to, but the Markus isn't a particularly great chair and I'd just get something else.

Is there another chair in the same price range that's better? There is no used market in my area for the thread favourites and they are out of my price range new. $300-500 CAD.

fart_man_69
May 18, 2009

Martian Manfucker posted:

Is there another chair in the same price range that's better? There is no used market in my area for the thread favourites and they are out of my price range new. $300-500 CAD.

You could see if you can find a used Haworth Zody. It's a great chair, though if you're like 6 feet or taller the backrest might be too short. At 182 cm it was just at the limit for me. Looks like Haworth Canada is having a sale right now and you could get a Soji for a little over 500: https://store-ca.haworth.com/collections/chairs/products/soji-office-chair-with-height-adjustable-arms

It looks nice and Haworth makes quality chairs, I'd go for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46cm_MaaiNo&t=357s

These guys generally have competent recommendations from what I can tell, and their picks around $500 are the Soji and the Eurotech Vera. Might check out the cheaper chairs in that video too. Personally, I'd get the Soji while the sale lasts. They have a pretty good warranty as well.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I spend 16 hours a day sitting in my computer chair and I'm tired of sitting in awful ikea and amazon basics garbage.
I'd like something that works well for both work and gaming uses.

What's the current recommendation for about 200 dollars. I can go up to 300 if my options become significantly better.

I have some hesitations about these 500 dollar plus 'pro chairs' I sometimes see. Like secretlabs or aeron. Can a chair really be worth 500 dollars?
https://secretlab.co/products/titan-evo-2022-series?sku=R22PU-Classic

Methanar fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 27, 2022

fart_man_69
May 18, 2009

Easily, but maybe not that chair. I've sat in one and it's not terrible, it's spacious and the backrest is good enough, but the seat is super hard and takes a lot of getting used to. It may not work out for you, I wouldn't want to sit in one for 16 hours, but apparently a lot of people like them. Or at least tolerate them. The armrests suck too iirc. Secretlab also has really lovely return policies at least in Europe, it costs something ridiculous like 150 euros to return the chair.

See my above post for recommendations, the Soji is an easy one for $500 but there's some cheaper chairs in the video.

Edit: honestly I only sat in the Secretlab chair for a moment, and after an hour or two I might change my opinion from not terrible to completely terrible. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless returning it was free and easy. Secretlab's good ratings are mostly marketing, they pay influencers and I think they demand a positive review or social media post for access to an extended warranty.

fart_man_69 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 27, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

One of the next things on the horizon for 2023 for me is a high end chair, but my Markus has served me well over the last 6 years (aside from the year I had one of those garish DPS ones from costco)

I'm quite large, one thing I did with mine was use longer bolts from a TV mount to extend the arms apart. I do find I have to keep readjusting my posture, much more often than I'd like.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Methanar posted:

I spend 16 hours a day sitting in my computer chair and I'm tired of sitting in awful ikea and amazon basics garbage.

What's the current recommendation for about 200 dollars. I can go up to 300 if my options become significantly better.

I have some hesitations about these 500 dollar plus 'pro chairs' I sometimes see. Like secretlabs or aeron. Can a chair really be worth 500 dollars?

For 300 US Dollars I would try and find an Aeron on FB or CL if you can negotiate down a bit. Prior to that you could go to a used office furniture dealer or Herman Miller in your area to sit in them and see how you feel.

All the Herman Miller in Chicago is sold through their business Design Within Reach, everything your eye can see is very pretentious and costs at least $750, but it's all very nice. I can't really afford anything but the stupid chair.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 27, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Inner Light posted:

For 300 US Dollars I would try and find an Aeron on FB or CL if you can negotiate down a bit.

Also the Mirra 2 is supposedly about as good as an Aeron without the Iconic Tax, if you're trying to pinch a penny.

couldcareless posted:

I didn't realize I could probably grab $300+ for my Gen 1 aeron still. That's great.

You sure can! If it was feasible to ship such a thing, I would take it off your hands for $300 and feel like I stole it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Methanar posted:

Dude, if you sit in a chair for 16 hours a day, then a good one is worth MUCH more than 500 dollars. The quality of life improvement is massive, and it will affect nearly your every waking hour, apparently.

Just don't get a Secret Lab chair.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Secretlab is ultra trash tier but they spent a ton of money on reviews and marketing.

the ikea markus or staples chair will be better for you and come in at half or a third of the price, depending on sales and all that

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Methanar posted:

I am not wealthy; I paid slightly under retail for my embody (a chair that can be $2000) and would do so again with zero hesitation. Nothing better for endurance sitting. Seriously, look at the posts mentioning it in the thread.

It makes more sense when you think about the cost of medical treatment once you have a back/leg issue vs just buying a chair that is perfect for you. It has a 12 year warranty and there are plenty of people online who have had them for a long time.

My in laws have two Aerons that are in basically perfect shape with heavy use after 15 years as well — I can’t attest to how they are with endurance sitting, but they seem to be great chairs.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I just had to replace the back to my Mirra and the place i bought it from sent me the whole back and lumbar assembly. My old lumbar assembly is free to a good home if you pay shipping! Heres a pic of it:

stump collector
May 28, 2007

isndl posted:

Hey now, the Logitech gaming chair was a legitimate Embody!

this is 25 percent off right now on herman millers site btw. it beats the fifteen percent discount on the non gamer version i sprung for a couple weeks ago. oh well

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I live in the middle of nowhere so buying a legit chair is limited to manufacturers like HON, of which I got off Craigslist from an office liquidation. They are typically around $350-$500 task chairs that work ok.

Now that I'm spending more time at home in mine I'd love to check out a HM or Steelcase chair, but there aren't any local dealers (thank you, Alaska).

Bummer.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

fart_man_69 posted:

You could see if you can find a used Haworth Zody. It's a great chair, though if you're like 6 feet or taller the backrest might be too short. At 182 cm it was just at the limit for me. Looks like Haworth Canada is having a sale right now and you could get a Soji for a little over 500: https://store-ca.haworth.com/collections/chairs/products/soji-office-chair-with-height-adjustable-arms

It looks nice and Haworth makes quality chairs, I'd go for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46cm_MaaiNo&t=357s

These guys generally have competent recommendations from what I can tell, and their picks around $500 are the Soji and the Eurotech Vera. Might check out the cheaper chairs in that video too. Personally, I'd get the Soji while the sale lasts. They have a pretty good warranty as well.

Picked up the Soji on your recommendation and I've been sitting in it the past few days. Feels pretty nice to sit in, and it's not uncomfortable to lounge either. I'm not painful-sore after the day is over like I was in the Markus, more just haven't used some of these muscles to sit-sore. I'll give it a couple weeks to see if that continues while I fine tune the adjustments. One thing that I am disappointed about is the arm rests have a very high pitched squeak when I shift my elbows or move around on them. If that doesn't clear up I might have to grab some lubricant or something because it's really annoying.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I ended up getting a Duramont Ergonomic Office Chair, which was pricey at over $300, but it had excellent reviews and a 5 year warranty.

loving thing is already broken. I am the bane of all chairs. (At least it's happened so fast that if Duramont turns out to be crap with their customer service, it's still within Amazon's return window.)

stump collector
May 28, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I ended up getting a Duramont Ergonomic Office Chair, which was pricey at over $300, but it had excellent reviews and a 5 year warranty.

loving thing is already broken. I am the bane of all chairs. (At least it's happened so fast that if Duramont turns out to be crap with their customer service, it's still within Amazon's return window.)

the logitech embody is still 25 percent off

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

stump collector posted:

the logitech embody is still 25 percent off
So it is.

It's also a literal thousand American dollars more than this one cost, though, so... yikes?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

So it is.

It's also a literal thousand American dollars more than this one cost, though, so... yikes?

If you sit for your job the majority of the time, bite the bullet. That’s a whole lot cheaper than back pain, buying a $300 chair every couple years, etc etc, oh and a 12 year warranty and a spine that isn’t lowtax tier. Alive lowtax tier.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Back surgery and opioid addiction are two things that are a lot more expensive than a good chair.

If you flat out can't afford it then it's what it is, the Vimes "Boots" Theory of Socioecomomic Unfairness is a real kick in the balls. But if you can afford the up front cost by any possible means, you'll spend a lot less money in the long run.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
My Mirra 2 should be here tomorrow. I cannot wait to experience what insanely overpriced feels like. (well, it's not overpriced if it meets the expectation)

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Are herman miller et al knockoffs any good or worth exploring?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Can anyone recommend a good online store for Herman Miller parts?

I need to replace the back support on my old size B Aeron, but both styles have a six week wait time before they'll be in stock on the official site, and I don't trust the ones on Amazon to be legit.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

https://www.businessfurnitureshop.com/

These guys are pretty good. Idk how their prices compare but they were responsible dive and pretty fast at getting my mirra parts to me

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

this thread chair-pilled me and i'm buying myself a herman miller for christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It's worth splurging on good stuff you use all the time. I conservatively use my office chair over 2200 hours a year, it's worth the investment.

I just treated myself to some new monitors as well as my 7 year old ones were starting to have coil whine or something obnoxious and man it was so worth it.