Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Smellon Musk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Trillhouse posted:

apparently zuck's security has a list of people banned from Facebook HQ because they try to sneak in and kill him.

Is it the SA forums userlist??

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
https://twitter.com/Wilson__Valdez/status/1600958822176415744

Why is Substack still a thing?

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I still think people are talking about the Storage Wars guy whenever I hear Bari Weiss.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

quote:

Dear A.G.,

It is with sadness that I write to tell you that I am resigning from The New York Times.

I joined the paper with gratitude and optimism three years ago. I was hired with the goal of bringing in voices that would not otherwise appear in your pages: first-time writers, centrists, conservatives and others who would not naturally think of The Times as their home. The reason for this effort was clear: The paper’s failure to anticipate the outcome of the 2016 election meant that it didn’t have a firm grasp of the country it covers. Dean Baquet and others have admitted as much on various occasions. The priority in Opinion was to help redress that critical shortcoming.

[...]

But the lessons that ought to have followed the election—lessons about the importance of understanding other Americans, the necessity of resisting tribalism, and the centrality of the free exchange of ideas to a democratic society—have not been learned. Instead, a new consensus has emerged in the press, but perhaps especially at this paper: that truth isn’t a process of collective discovery, but an orthodoxy already known to an enlightened few whose job is to inform everyone else.

Twitter is not on the masthead of The New York Times. But Twitter has become its ultimate editor. As the ethics and mores of that platform have become those of the paper, the paper itself has increasingly become a kind of performance space. Stories are chosen and told in a way to satisfy the narrowest of audiences, rather than to allow a curious public to read about the world and then draw their own conclusions. I was always taught that journalists were charged with writing the first rough draft of history. Now, history itself is one more ephemeral thing molded to fit the needs of a predetermined narrative.

My own forays into Wrongthink have made me the subject of constant bullying by colleagues who disagree with my views. They have called me a Nazi and a racist; I have learned to brush off comments about how I’m “writing about the Jews again.” Several colleagues perceived to be friendly with me were badgered by coworkers. My work and my character are openly demeaned on company-wide Slack channels where masthead editors regularly weigh in. There, some coworkers insist I need to be rooted out if this company is to be a truly “inclusive” one, while others post ax emojis next to my name. Still other New York Times employees publicly smear me as a liar and a bigot on Twitter with no fear that harassing me will be met with appropriate action. They never are.

There are terms for all of this: unlawful discrimination, hostile work environment, and constructive discharge. I’m no legal expert. But I know that this is wrong.

[...]
Sincerely,

Bari

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

“I intend to kill X,” is a pretty cut and dry legally actionable statement, regardless of how realistic it is. It’s pretty unlikely anyone who could and would sue is going to see it, but it's CYA 101 to at least slap it down.

“X should be guillotined” is arguably a threat, but it’s fine to post so long as the forums rear end is covered. Overt threats of violence, even obvious comedy ones, getting the probe is the prize we pay to be allowed to say “eat the rich” at all.

I'm putting you on my guillotine list

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
mods!?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

PITY BONER posted:

Dear A.G.,

It is with sadness that I write to tell you that I am resigning from The New York Times.

I joined the paper with gratitude and optimism three years ago. I was hired with the goal of bringing in voices that would not otherwise appear in your pages: first-time writers, centrists, conservatives and others who would not naturally think of The Times as their home. The reason for this effort was clear: The paper’s failure to anticipate the outcome of the 2016 election meant that it didn’t have a firm grasp of the country it covers. Dean Baquet and others have admitted as much on various occasions. The priority in Opinion was to help redress that critical shortcoming.

[...]

But the lessons that ought to have followed the election—lessons about the importance of understanding other Americans, the necessity of resisting tribalism, and the centrality of the free exchange of ideas to a democratic society—have not been learned. Instead, a new consensus has emerged in the press, but perhaps especially at this paper: that truth isn’t a process of collective discovery, but an orthodoxy already known to an enlightened few whose job is to inform everyone else.

Twitter is not on the masthead of The New York Times. But Twitter has become its ultimate editor. As the ethics and mores of that platform have become those of the paper, the paper itself has increasingly become a kind of performance space. Stories are chosen and told in a way to satisfy the narrowest of audiences, rather than to allow a curious public to read about the world and then draw their own conclusions. I was always taught that journalists were charged with writing the first rough draft of history. Now, history itself is one more ephemeral thing molded to fit the needs of a predetermined narrative.

My own forays into Wrongthink have made me the subject of constant bullying by colleagues who disagree with my views. They have called me a Nazi and a racist; I have learned to brush off comments about how I’m “writing about the Jews again.” Several colleagues perceived to be friendly with me were badgered by coworkers. My work and my character are openly demeaned on company-wide Slack channels where masthead editors regularly weigh in. There, some coworkers insist I need to be rooted out if this company is to be a truly “inclusive” one, while others post ax emojis next to my name. Still other New York Times employees publicly smear me as a liar and a bigot on Twitter with no fear that harassing me will be met with appropriate action. They never are.

There are terms for all of this: unlawful discrimination, hostile work environment, and constructive discharge. I’m no legal expert. But I know that this is wrong.

[...]
Sincerely,

Bari

"Users do not like or want me posting" energy. Conservatives are just comically top tier losers all the way to the bottom.

Also, please don't ban users for the very obvious declaration that they want billionaires dead. That's extremely presidential.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Not being allowed to say or imply killing is obviously important from a forums CYA perspective.

That's why I encourage his Mars mission as strongly as possible. It's science and discovery. Human achievement.

We can start with a moon base project if that's still too challenging.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Honestly Something Awful dot com should endorse killing all billionaires as their general company mission.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
wow you cant even make extremely non actionable threats against the absolute worst people on earth by any objective measure without catching a probe or ban :confused: it's not like anyone who would care reads gbs in 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hector Delgado posted:

I still think people are talking about the Storage Wars guy whenever I hear Bari Weiss.

7 years ago I sent a letter to Brandi Passante c/o A&E Network telling her that she was clearly a beautiful, cultured, and intelligent woman and that she should ditch her meathead husband and go out on a date with me. She did in fact ditch Jarrod but as yet has not responded to my letter.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

thathonkey posted:

wow you cant even make extremely non actionable threats against the absolute worst people on earth by any objective measure without catching a probe or ban :confused: it's not like anyone who would care reads gbs in 2022

actually i am elon musk and it hurt my feelings a lot

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Someone should make a qcs thread. Nobody should post it in though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

kazil posted:

actually i am elon musk and it hurt my feelings a lot

Can I have a new model S but one with a real steering wheel not that dumb fuckin thing they come with

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Isn't the whole point of not allowing explicit threats and statements of violence that even if it's ironic or joking that if it's constantly seen it can bend someone's brain and they actually try?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No I think the whole point is they are weenies. That’s probably how they rationalize it however

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://twitter.com/bariweiss/status/1601008766861815808

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593673339826212864

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

ilmucche posted:

Isn't the whole point of not allowing explicit threats and statements of violence that even if it's ironic or joking that if it's constantly seen it can bend someone's brain and they actually try?

if you're already a broken-brained fucknut, i guess

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

lmao

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
she's really going all in on defending the nazis huh

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

As they should, and as they are perfectly within their rights and remit to do so. Twitter's a private concern, not some universal government service or whatever. What's yer point, Bari?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I wonder how noted champion of freeze peach, Bari Weiss, would handle someone tweeting "Israel is a fascist state" to her.

Sure would be a shame if her commitment to the "marketplace of ideas" was tested this way....

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's fine, we should let #NAMBLA trend cuz freeze peech

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

twitter files is like x-files but they fired mulder and skully and it's just some new agents cleaning up the office

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

bird with big dick posted:

Can I have a new model S but one with a real steering wheel not that dumb fuckin thing they come with

bird on a fire

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Just lol that part 2 is again a big pile of nothing

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sylvian Wastes posted:

I mean they DID dive head-first into crypto so thats not that outlandish considering how delusional you need to be to think crypto has any future at all.

Fun story

In ~2018 or so I was coming back from picking up lunch near where I worked in Manhattan and came to a corner where — just like in a movie — I nearly bumped into a former coworker coming the other way. He had moved on from our previous company directly to the Winklevii's crypto thing which was apparently a block away from mine. He gave me a 2-minute elevator pitch and said I should come up and interview.

Lunch was great, I didn't let it get cold

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
Is Bari Weiss the same Bari Weiss that claimed Australia didn’t have any culture wars during the middle of the Victorian election where conservatives were spending months claiming Victoria was under siege by roaming African gangs?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Well now we know the true reason why AOC never seems to notice Ben Shapiro's cries for a debate! /s

jeffreyw posted:

Is Bari Weiss the same Bari Weiss that claimed Australia didn’t have any culture wars during the middle of the Victorian election where conservatives were spending months claiming Victoria was under siege by roaming African gangs?

What does your heart tell you? :allears:

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
When is Stefan Molyneux going to get upset by canned pasta on Twitter again?

Come on Musk, step your Gamergate game up! You're losing to Kanye!

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
It is extremely funny watching people go batshit crazy over bog standard content moderation.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1601019121692725249

Lmao

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

The SECRET GROUP otherwise known as upper management.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

oh poo poo breaking news twitter was run like an actual company

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

#TwitterFiles Part Three: This secret cabal of "content" :airquote: moderators :airquote: repeatedly abused their power by banning certain high-profile accounts or placing so-called "Covid Misinformation Warnings" or "Election Misinformation Warnings" on their tweets

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

twitter files #69 the janitors THAT I FIRED used to steal trash and poop from the building

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

kazil posted:

twitter files #69 the janitors THAT I FIRED used to steal trash and poop from the building

The janitors didn’t even include me once in their decision making either

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

BadOptics posted:

What does your heart tell you? :allears:

I’ve always wanted to get a job as an opinion writer because it appears you can literally write anything and still get paid for it.

Digging deeper in my memory, I remember three digits worth of Melbourne fascists waving around fascist iconography tried to take back a beach from football playing African migrants the same week she published that garbage in the New York Times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I note she isn't mentioning any of the names of the accounts that were shadowbanned. I wonder what who they might be.