Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Khanstant posted:

dumb question but is kitfox a person or an entity/company/team?

Publisher essentially

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i love the idea of other wildlife correctly identifying the fisher people as a threat. real fisherman should have the same, couple people on a little bolt with poles, get some pissed off tadpoles and catfish, whatever. Got them bigass whaler things going, whales coordinate attacks and sink the ship, sharks and dolphins eat the floaters.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Is there a full changelog yet?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Just learned that screw pumps somehow purify seawater, so now I have the temptation to try a coastal fort. Yes I know this is a recipe for Fun.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Learning how to move magma from the magma sea up to my workshops and wow this is complicated

Mirthless posted:

It took me a full day to notice that they removed the building designer/architect labors

I will not miss them

Mason does those jobs now, and the old Mason is stone carver.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 9, 2022

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

My dwarf is VERY unhappy because he's been away from family too long -- when i check relationships, he has no family. Come on dwarf :(

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Bloody Pom posted:

Just learned that screw pumps somehow purify seawater, so now I have the temptation to try a coastal fort. Yes I know this is a recipe for Fun.

They can also purify murky water from surface ponds! Also be prepared: if you gently caress up and accidentally let seawater touch a tile, that tile will turn any fresh water that touches it into saltwater from then on.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

authwiggidywack posted:

From my understanding a single staircase spanning multiple z-levels is absolutely fine for quite a while. I haven't had many big fortresses but i imagine if you have a lot of dwarfs going into it, you'll have some traffic slowdowns.

A central 3x3 staircase is traditional for many layouts imo.

Though I'm a bit confused if I can keep extending out a staircase as I go, since it seems to definitely designate up or down staircases at the ends instead of the combination; if I then try to designate an extension to go deeper after that, I worry that it won't let me continue on, as I usually have. (Manually constructing staircases out of stone blocks could be a workaround, if so?)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I had a legendary starve himself, maybe, whatever brilliant people are whatever they are.

Unfortunately, maybe her child, is now in a fey mood and needs bones. I have no other supply. I can't figure out how to make this happen.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I had a legendary starve himself, maybe, whatever brilliant people are whatever they are.

Unfortunately, maybe her child, is now in a fey mood and needs bones. I have no other supply. I can't figure out how to make this happen.
Can you slaughter a draft animal or cap a stray hog

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Aeble posted:

Though I'm a bit confused if I can keep extending out a staircase as I go, since it seems to definitely designate up or down staircases at the ends instead of the combination; if I then try to designate an extension to go deeper after that, I worry that it won't let me continue on, as I usually have. (Manually constructing staircases out of stone blocks could be a workaround, if so?)

you can basically fix any staircases by manually building stairs in different ways until it works.

unrelated: training schedules. I'm thinking of making my dwarves alternate military training, every other month, instead of three months on, three off. Maybe they can get other stuff done when it needs to be done more frequently that way? Is there any reason NOT to do that?

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

My dwarf is VERY unhappy because he's been away from family too long -- when i check relationships, he has no family. Come on dwarf :(

Oh I didn't even think about that. I've been dealing with the same thing and had assumed the wording meant they had a family they wanted to be near and I was doing something wrong, but maybe they're actually longing to start a family and it's just the text descriptions are only an indirect, let's say "poetic" reflection of that. drat. :(

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Adnor posted:

https://twitter.com/tanyaxshort/status/1600914913157079042

Good to see that even after being nerfed, the carps still find a way to kill you.

I think this explains my 200 Lungfish corpses around the river.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Aeble posted:

Start the stair digging designation on the last level already dug out. When you start the designation on an existing carved staircase, it will convert that tile into an up/down staircase.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

whoops, accidentally Cask of Amontillado'd 2 dudes, a kid, and their pet pig while I was building walls to tidy up this soon-to-be bedroom

I found them in time too but my miners all ignored this one-tile job for a few weeks even though I set it to the highest priority :argh:

So now instead of 3 bedrooms, it'll be 3 tombs

the pig lived though

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Steam being Steam and since I can't imagine KitFox holding up things on their end, Tarn and Zach won't be getting paid until some time in February.

FPS controls the speed of the simulation, yes.

I play at 50 fps because I like to be able to follow-along during combat and other things, but I know one of the Q/A testers for the game and they play at 1600 by keeping the game paused for most of the time, and only letting the simulation run for a second at a time.

The early preview of the ASCII mode in Premium DF seemed to imply that they'd be using the same set of menus and shortcuts, so the thing I'm struggling with (finding where the gently caress they put things which I know are still in the game) won't be fixed by that.
I just need to play more DF, clearly.

The things that'll bog down even the most powerful computers is things like catsplotions or if you up the number of enemies participating in sieges (in the advanced difficulty settings).
Siege size is also controlled by the number of set-of-two-tiles on the border, since every set of two tiles is where one enemy can spawn, but only up to the maximum you set in the settings.

BlindIRL is doing a LP tutorial where he takes things slow and explains everything as he does it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiLI4LR3lWs

He also has many quick tutorials on how to do advanced things like burrows and hospitals correctly.

I watched the first couple of these so far and have learned many, many things as a DF noob. Like- I hadn't found the priority buttons at all in 7 hours, or that I should set all my plump helmets to don't cook only brew to avoid running out of beer making materials immediately.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Will bringing the trade caravans deeper into my base lead to them seeing and reporting more wealth, or anything like that?

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

nielsm posted:

Start the stair digging designation on the last level already dug out. When you start the designation on an existing carved staircase, it will convert that tile into an up/down staircase.

Great, thanks. One less thing to worry obsessively over as I plan out my elaborate layout!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Nessus posted:

Can you slaughter a draft animal or cap a stray hog
Yes, but let's pretend not. If the flesh has already rotted off, can the bones be used without butchering?

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
I'd love a gangtag too!

I tried to play the ASCII game once around 10 years ago, so I'm starting from scratch more or less. I chose an embark site in a happy place, no wildlife, no goblins around.

There is a nice little river and a magnificent waterfall. At least 5 tiles wide and 10 level deep. Immediately, I decide I'll do something wise and build a complicated (for me) entrance, with a slope several levels deep leading to a drawbridge in front of the water so that everyone can be cleansed by the mists before they enter the fort. Deep below (but still above water) there also will be a splendid dining hall opening directly behind the waterfall for the enjoyment of the dwarves.
Alas, I am a fool.

First, it was the tamed rabbit that fell in the waterfall. I don't even know why.
Then, the couple of dogs after being punched in several places by red pandas. They died instantly.
Not much later, the dwarve placing stone grate in the dining hall fell too. He was unconscious and drowning, so I tried to do something to rescue him.
While the dwarves were digging towards their friend, a cat fell but didn't suffer any injury (why?). Then the dwarves finished digging and flooded the dormitory level I had the great idea to place far below ground to insulate it from the noises, because in my hurry I didn't notice I was digging below the underground river and not above it...

I think I'll stop there for today, and will probably avoid playing around water that early with the next embark.

Loddfafnir fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 9, 2022

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Well that was a good run. Year 5. Had a militia, guards, archers, and out of nowhere a bronze colossus rolled up and just utterly destroyed the fort. First killing the traders and my militia then going after the dwarves who ran up in a panic/tantrum spiral before I could close the barred gatehouse, then going after every living creature on the map, before busting through the walls of my fort and going deep to kill off the rest of my dwarves.

At least I dented it up something fierce and fractured a bunch of it's magical bones. I will probably need siege weapons to actually kill it, though.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 9, 2022

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

honestly I'm enjoying the lack of changelogs and this is the first time we've had the mystery back in a long long time, feels good to have half the internet collaborating to figure out exactly what the gently caress "Stone Cutting" does.

AAAAANYWAY can someone with an active Bay12 account post in the suggestions forum that the hotkeys screen needs to display the modifier keys on mouse controls? I have neglected to create an account for yea these many years and am still waiting on admin approval.

I was successfully able to switch zoom to scroll up/down and change z-level to ctrl+scroll up /down but it just shows "mouse 4" and "mouse 5" for all scroll wheel controls no matter what modifier keys are applied

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Aeble posted:

nah been there done that you can extend the stairs down with no problem.

uhhhhh... haven't tried building stairs up yet tho, maybe it is a good time to construct a second column in my 5'th, and first to survive to second migrant wave, steam fortress

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

What work type and stockpile type is hauling rotten food? Some of my food went rotten and I have lost pretty much my entire food stock because I can't get dwarves to haul it and it's choking the rest of the food with miasma. I made a refuse stockpile and created job types that do nothing but refuse haul and food haul (separate jobs) and set dwarves to specialize in them and no one is hauling the rotten food away anywhere. I can't find any stockpile options to specify rotten stuff :(

Not having a "haul this item immediately" button is the absolute worst.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Yes, but let's pretend not. If the flesh has already rotted off, can the bones be used without butchering?
I thin you need to send the skeleton or partial skeleton to the butcher's to be dismantled into the crafting-material "bones".

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I've been offsetting my staircases for years because at some point someone convinced me that it's possible for dwarves to fall down stairs and if you put them all on the same Z axis together then it would be a gigantic fall that would kill them. Is this actually true

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost
My desert fort had grown too large and my single master brewer was been unable to keep up with demand for booze. He was been down in the cellar nonstop pumping out the alcohol surrounded by a horde of thirsty dwarves as my supply of drinks slowly dwindled. I guess he was working too hard because he just dropped dead of thirst on top of the barrel he was brewing.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

I've been offsetting my staircases for years because at some point someone convinced me that it's possible for dwarves to fall down stairs and if you put them all on the same Z axis together then it would be a gigantic fall that would kill them. Is this actually true

I'm fairly certain it is yeah

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Ok, if anyone else is dealing with the occasional vampire (and thus the occasional hopefully not important dead dwarf) here's a very roundabout way to solve the problem. If dfhack or dwarf therapist were working it would be much less work, but unfortunately the unit list is so cumbersome to look for the usual telltale signs that it just isn't worth the time imo:

1)create some rock slabs (you should probably have a few on standby all the time anyway just in case)

2)at the stonecutter's workshop, engrave the slab with the memorial to whatever dwarf just died

3)build the slab

4)check out the details on the slab after it's built. it's the little magnifying glass icon at the bottom of the info pane after being selected

5)write down the name of the vampire that's listed as killing your dwarf

6)save and exit the game. I haven't messed around with the multiple saves function that's been put in for this release, so I don't know if abandoning your fort lets you still access an earlier save, so I just do a full quit and then manually navigate to the save folder and copy/paste it to achieve a full backup.

7)after the save is backed up, reload it and immediately abandon or retire your fort

8)start a new game in your existing world but this time select Legends Mode

9)search the notable people for the name of the vampire you wrote down. at the bottom of the events list, it should say when they joined your fort. Immediately prior to this there should be an event where they changed their name to fool you. Write this down.

10) the rest is very straightforward. Reload your fort from the backup, find that SOB and literally throw him under a bridge. Yes, the atom smasher still words fantastically btw.

It sure was easier with dfhack.

edit: thank you for the gang tag :)

edit 2: lmao i also forgot that vampires all seem to have the same pale green skin color on the avatar in the unit list. that's much easier to tell.

thunderspanks fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 9, 2022

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Nosre posted:

whoops, accidentally Cask of Amontillado'd 2 dudes, a kid, and their pet pig while I was building walls to tidy up this soon-to-be bedroom

I found them in time too but my miners all ignored this one-tile job for a few weeks even though I set it to the highest priority :argh:

the pig lived though

For the love of Armok, Uristresor!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So a basic bedroom is a 2x2 room with a bed, chest and cabinet right? Is there anything else easy to make that'll make them happier?

Also is there any way to stack bars and stuff without doing a weird drop-them-into-infinite-quantum-piles trick someone mentioned earlier? It's weird that every individual bar takes up a stockpile spot.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

What work type and stockpile type is hauling rotten food? Some of my food went rotten and I have lost pretty much my entire food stock because I can't get dwarves to haul it and it's choking the rest of the food with miasma. I made a refuse stockpile and created job types that do nothing but refuse haul and food haul (separate jobs) and set dwarves to specialize in them and no one is hauling the rotten food away anywhere. I can't find any stockpile options to specify rotten stuff :(

make sure you have a garbage disposal Zone outside and mark all the rotten things [D]ump AKA click them to examine and then click the garbage can icon in the top right

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

VideoWitch posted:

I'm fairly certain it is yeah

Thank God because I would look *really* stupid if it wasn't.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
What's the word on when adventurer mode is making it to the steam version?

Now that I've lost my first fortress in the steam version, I realize that after one fell I used to just goof off as an adventurer for a few characters before making a new fortress.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I had someone get into a fey mood and they constructed some leather armor with an image of itself on it made out of yellow zircon, recursive artifact!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

chainchompz posted:

Unknown, some time after the SteamDF changes get ported to Classic according to Tarn.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

deep dish peat moss posted:

Don't know if this helps, but I think prepared meals show up under item types in the refuse category of stockpile menu when rotten. Set it the stockpile to custom if it's not already, and disallow all subcategories on refuse in your food stockpile the category should go red, if it's only grey you've missed something. Ensuring all those things are enabled in the refuse stockpile, also set a garbage dump by your refuse pile for good measure.

If they're really not hauling stuff out fast enough, you can click a stack of items that contains the offending item, and there should be a bunch of small tabs to the right of the inspect window that lets you look at different objects in the stack, you can then click the trash can icon to mark it for dumping, which I think prioritises the action over general refuse collection. Similarly if you need to do this for a bunch of stuff quickly, the rightmost button of the bottom middle UI panel opens up with a dump box select tool.

If it's corpses that are causing problems there's an option in the standing orders menu to change corpses from auto collect to auto dump.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Pierson posted:

So a basic bedroom is a 2x2 room with a bed, chest and cabinet right? Is there anything else easy to make that'll make them happier?

Also is there any way to stack bars and stuff without doing a weird drop-them-into-infinite-quantum-piles trick someone mentioned earlier? It's weird that every individual bar takes up a stockpile spot.

Smooth the walls. I use 3x3 bedrooms, also gives me room to drop in an emergency statue when some dwarf feels unhappy with it.

Your bars should go into bins. You can fit hundreds of bars into a small stockpile like that. Make more bins.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

chainchompz posted:

From what I gather on bay12 forums it's barely started, .50 Classic may release without it as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
New labor is confusing me, it looks like randoms will use workbenches unless I assign specific dwarves to them.

Can I not just set a "you must be at least competent to use this" setting on a workstation?

Nosre posted:

the pig lived though

So they just found a well fed pig and a bunch of random teeth then?