Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Played one (1) game of Unfathomable at BGN tonight. Putting aside that this type of game tends to be almost unbearably slow, I'm finding myself really enjoying hidden role, event driven games. This one beats out Betrayal at House on the Hill for me: flows better, more interesting choices on your turn. Is there a similar game out there (don't say Battlestar Galactica) I should play next? Maybe one better than Unfathomable? I haven't played Arkham Horror, no.
I've been waiting to get Who Goes There to the table, sounds like it might be similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Does anyone have opinions on the Res Arcana expansions? I went to a boardgame meetup at the weekend and out of my collection this game got played a lot more than I expected.

My main issue with the game is that it seems to drag a lot in the last turn or two when everyone usually has a ton of active abilities to use, I was wondering if there was anything in the expansion content which made games tend to wrap up more quickly?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I think with the expansions it feels like more of the same, but in a good way.

The first one introduces a new type, Demons, and more mages, places of power, etc. I like this one quite a bit and the new stuff slides in pretty easily.

The second expansion introduces pearls. They are worth 1 VP each, but can be traded for essence. You start with one pearl, so the beginnnig of the game can speed up if you are willing to trade in your pearl. With pearls, the VP limit for victory is increased to 13, but with pearls being worth VP it doesn't really make the games last longer.

Haven't played with the second expansion that much more unfortunately, so I can't comment on card balance, etc.

But as far as I know, nothing in the expansions really speeds up the end game. But as I said, haven't played with the pearls that much.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
They complete the design of the game because it was designed from the start for them (as evident from Tom's comments and the insert being designed for the exact components in both).

The pearls do speed up the game and power curve but as Selecta said it adds 3 VP requirements to trigger the end. In our experience, the number of rounds generally stays the same but if you have slow players that would indeed make the game longer. I find it's best at 2p because of that.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

King Burgundy posted:

If you exhaust local options, local discords/facebooks/etc, you can also sell/trade-in to a company like Noble Knight who will also pay for shipping to them.

I have sold stuff (but not board games) to this company before and had no issue. It's not the way to get top dollar, but it is a way to get rid of things for money. They're also recently unionized.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Thanks guys, I'll keep that on the maybe list then. I wish there was a way to avoid the slowdown issue but it's come up every time I've played the game and it feels like it's an inherent issue with the design much like Terraforming Mars which has exactly the same problem of spending most of your actions lategame "running your engine" to generate resources, and it gets particularly bad with multiple players.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Are any of the eclipse 2e expansions worth getting? They all seem so minor.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

RabidWeasel posted:

Thanks guys, I'll keep that on the maybe list then. I wish there was a way to avoid the slowdown issue but it's come up every time I've played the game and it feels like it's an inherent issue with the design much like Terraforming Mars which has exactly the same problem of spending most of your actions lategame "running your engine" to generate resources, and it gets particularly bad with multiple players.

I have found that games are much quicker as players become familiar with the game. Initially, everything looks good and you want to try every card, but after several plays, you get a better sense for what cards to use and what cards to ditch for resources. What started as a 50ish minute play is down to about 30 for two players. I play with the first expansion always, it's more content to keep things variable. I haven't had a chance to play the second expansion yet, but the higher VP threshold might slow things down a little where you're trying to go the other way. I'd say just keep at it and things will speed up! Especially if the last turn churn is just running your engine out, you already know what your actions are going to be, so they should go pretty rapidly.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Countblanc posted:

it's very cool, but I feel like it's just not really a winning formula, market-wise. it's like an even less collectible (and financially exploitable) version of the LCG formula which is already on thin ice in terms of turning a profit.

i guess as a board game rather than a lifestyle game it operates on different success metrics but i feel like practically any game with meta elements, light as they are in Codex, thrives off the idea that you could like, theoretically meet another human who has a deck who would want to play it

One time, when going to the LGS for board game night, there was this very excited person who told us about their Ashes Reborn club with 3-4 other people because they say my friend and I playing it. Just really excited, told us all about it and their monthly meetups and everything. It's nice to see, and I wish more LGS would host such events even for a small fee, but yeah it's not really financially exploitable and thus not pushed.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Chill la Chill posted:

One time, when going to the LGS for board game night, there was this very excited person who told us about their Ashes Reborn club with 3-4 other people because they say my friend and I playing it. Just really excited, told us all about it and their monthly meetups and everything. It's nice to see, and I wish more LGS would host such events even for a small fee, but yeah it's not really financially exploitable and thus not pushed.

I would love to play Ashes. I own so many unopened decks. The few times I played it just felt good.

Maybe Pagan will take off in my area?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Jarvisi posted:

Are any of the eclipse 2e expansions worth getting? They all seem so minor.

Are you talking about the Worlds Afar mini expansions that came free from the Kickstarter, or the two new expansions coming out soon?
If the former - they're kinda meh. The biggest is the pink weapon types but in my plays these have seen limited use even when they DO randomly appear. They're very RNG luck based weapons so a lot of people steer clear.
The extra tiles are totally unnecessary but a neat thing if they do crop up in your game. Just some more interesting variance but nothing game changing.
The turn order varient is a must have, but you don't need to buy an expansion to do it, just google the rules and you're sorted.
Minor species is handy for getting the extra income from diplomacy in player counts that don't allow player-player alliances but as I've only played this at higher counts, it's been a bit of a non-thing. YMMV.
Spaceship stands are super nice - purely aesthetic though.

Now, if you're talking about the new expansions coming out, they are likely going to be more worthwhile - two new factions each with various other bits and pieces that are yet to be detailed but based off the factions from the 1st edition ancients games.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jedit posted:

You may as well use the Magic frame for them, because that Jaina ripoff is just a Magic card with Level Up. Sirlin's pushing "you can't copyright mechanics" way beyond its breaking point.

I know nothing about this game but lol yet another pop culture Jaina that people will ask me if that's where I got my name from?

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

not even sirlin himself would ever infer that you derived your name from a fantasy strike character

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Megasabin posted:

Does anyone in this thread have opinion on Sol: Last Days of a Star. It's getting a reprinting on kickstarter.

It's one of those games that has never ranked highly on BGG, but there are some big name board game people who vouch hard for it like Cole. I do like games with shared player infrastructure changing the nature of the board itself and this features that mechanic.

It's brilliant. Really tight, interesting design with a cool theme

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Splotter update: Horseless Carriage is on its way to fulfillment hubs, looks like probably delivering in North America in Jan :discourse:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

The Eyes Have It posted:

Splotter update: Horseless Carriage is on its way to fulfillment hubs, looks like probably delivering in North America in Jan :discourse:

Jesus Christ it's ~$179 CAD.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

god help me I think I really like Solforge Fusion

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Rockman Reserve posted:

How does it compare to Keyforge?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Muir posted:

How does it compare to Keyforge?

It's a little bit hard for me to say, because while I honestly really liked Keyforge I haven't played it in years at this point and don't really remember the nuances. On the face of it, though, I really do prefer the "fusion" deck-mashing to Keyforge's 100% prebuilt decks - it still prevents netdecking and forces you to use the tools at your disposal, but gives you at least some leeway for customizing your deck for different situations.

Pros:
-Putting together prebuilt half-decks is honestly kind of cool
-A battle system that relies heavily on positioning, which makes all of your choices matter a lot
-Kind of a unique upgrade/level up system to your cards as you play
-There is an undead yeti called Undeati.

Cons:
-I'm pretty sure this was originally a digital-only game, and as such there is a lot of weird little upkeep things you have to do every turn, way more than you'd expect from a card game.
-Related to the above, you are going to want/need tons of counters to play. (The Starter Box comes with a pretty nice set, though)
-The card pool is pretty slim right now, although the fact that cards have random modifiers applied means that there's still some surprises when opening packs. Sure, you got another Combat Prophet, but this one might have an extra ability or boosted stats.

The one thing I'll definitively say is that it really seems to work well on the table once you get the 'flow', and it's a hell of a lot more fun than Flesh and Blood in the modern TCG dudebasher space.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FulsomFrank posted:

Yeah he already said Splotter

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

FulsomFrank posted:

Not if you pre-ordered it over a year ago before there was literally any information available about what the game even was.

Then it was only $150CAD

(Including shipping to Australia but still, $165AUD shipped.)

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Splotters not in your dictionary? Shameful.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Every splotter game is worth the price

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Rockman Reserve posted:

Hell yes, I wanted to :justpost: about this game for a little while now and glad to see someone beat me to it. Absolutely deserves a look if you are interested in 1v1 card duel space. Some other big names in this space right now are yeah, Flesh and Blood, Radlands, and stuff like Riftforce, Unmatched, and so on. As mentioned, SFF feels like it hits a good balance between variety inside of decks and across decks. In other words, while I want to buy more decks, I don't feel like I have to buy more decks to keep the game fun. Yes, it's a bit fiddly (combat is similar to MtG but damage doesn't go away at the end of every turn, which makes for some really cool creature valuations), and requires a bit of tracking, but nothing too bad tbh. A wonderful design. My only concern is how strong drawing Leveled cards is vs. non-leveled cards in the mid-late game but not sure yet?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I think you'll see people aren't arguing, the only discussion here is

They are expensive
Yeah they're really expensive
Dang that's pricey

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Not if you pre-ordered it over a year ago before there was literally any information available about what the game even was.

Then it was only $150CAD

(Including shipping to Australia but still, $165AUD shipped.)

I still don't know wtf the game is about!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Carriages. But don't get it confused, there will be no horses.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's about building cars, in a factory that you lay out from tetronimoe pieces. That's all I've got.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Building and selling cars, but from a time before anyone knew what a "car" should even work and look like.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If you want to build and sell cars in a reasonable price point and know the game is good, get automobile.

smh Splotter still hasn't put the rules up

I'm prob gonna get the game anyway since I have a lot of store credit

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I bought Oath on a lark despite this thread's generally lukewarm reception of it. I just can't stay away from Kyle Ferrin's art. I am surprised as I'm trying to learn this game how much more rules overhead there is than any of Cole's other games. The economy of favors and secrets is also a slightly more abstruse system than I am used to from him. I appreciate how he tries to have game pieces/parts serve multiple purposes depending on their context (like roads/armies or spies/tribes in Pamir 2E), but for some reason the cards in Oath being used as "advisers" is kinda breaking my brain.

Anyway nothing novel from me- the design is drop dead gorgeous and I'll never get to play it. Ah well. Can't wait for Arcs!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Jewmanji posted:

the design is drop dead gorgeous and I'll never get to play it.

Thread title.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

CitizenKeen posted:

Thread title.

Fun fact: did you know that an OP can't change a thread title? I didn't until creating this thread. I guess that is probably for the best, because people would change a thread from "Who wants to see pictures of my cat?" to "Post IIT to toxx yourself for Ron Paul 2012"

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Magnetic North posted:

Fun fact: did you know that an OP can't change a thread title? I didn't until creating this thread. I guess that is probably for the best, because people would change a thread from "Who wants to see pictures of my cat?" to "Post IIT to toxx yourself for Ron Paul 2012"

I did! But the mods are usually friendly if the OP self-reports, yeah?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CitizenKeen posted:

I did! But the mods are usually friendly if the OP self-reports, yeah?

We are! I love slapping new titles onto threads, it's quite easy.

E: Magnetic North, if you want that to be the new title just say so and I'll update it later tonight!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Podima posted:

E: Magnetic North, if you want that to be the new title just say so and I'll update it later tonight!

Well, in other threads I have frequented that commonly get title changes, normally you get a few emptyquote replies in support. I'd be in favor of seeing that here when suggested, to make sure it's not just me making such requests alone.

But yes, I would support making that change to Board Games 5E: the design is drop dead gorgeous and I'll never get to play it

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Magnetic North posted:

Well, in other threads I have frequented that commonly get title changes, normally you get a few emptyquote replies in support. I'd be in favor of seeing that here when suggested, to make sure it's not just me making such requests alone.

But yes, I would support making that change to Board Games 5E: the design is drop dead gorgeous and I'll never get to play it

:emptyquote:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
As a tourist in these parts I am truly humbled by this honor. Thanks guys. I owe this silly board game compulsion to this thread and for that I toast to all of you.