Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

coiol posted:

I’m a couple years late on this but started Hades on PS5 a few weeks ago and I’m now 50ish runs in with 5 wins.

I died on the final boss something like 12 times before getting my first win around run 35-40 and I was starting to get pretty frustrated—I was able to consistently get to the final boss but in order to get the reps to learn patterns etc. I had to do a whole 30-minute run first, and I had already long maxed out the mirror and relevant trinkets. It definitely felt like a big difficulty spike to me where if you don’t have the right build to spit out enough damage quickly the final boss is way harder than anything else, at least until you learn how to dodge some of the more annoying attacks.

Anyway, now that I’ve figured out the final boss patterns I’m having a lot more fun. I’ve had the most success with Poseidon dash builds where I just stack up as many poms, Hermes extra dashes, and synergies on knockback as possible and everything melts in a few seconds. I find that it’s really hard on my thumb though, since I’m just mashing through 5x dash-strike back and forth as quickly as possible. The gun and fists have been my most successful weapons and my playstyle with those also involves mashing buttons as quickly as possible. Am I doing something weird or is this game just hard on the hands?

PC controls are fully configurable. Check yours. I was a lot more comfy with dash on a trigger and interact on the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I had played this a while back and unlocked everything.

Decided to try a fresh file to see how i could do without all the benefits.

1st run: Killed by Meg
2nd run: Used bow. Killed by Theseus.
3rd run: Used shield. Defeated Hades.

drat that initial run is hard. No mirror benefits. No charm. Worst weapon.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I gave that a shot a few weeks ago, and I was thrilled when I limped into asphodel on my first run since Meg had been a major stumbling block for me my first time. My first 10-15 runs never got past her, and then it was probably 40-something before I beat Hades the first time.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I feel like I did get very lucky on boons with the shield. Zeus special. Poseidon dash and attack. Jolted on electricity. Then somehow got the dual boon early in elysium.

coiol
Dec 16, 2004

I dress like a girl and drink like a man. Please date-rape me.

Glazius posted:

PC controls are fully configurable. Check yours. I was a lot more comfy with dash on a trigger and interact on the face.

Maybe it’s just because of the dash-focused builds that I’ve been using? I don’t think I could even physically mash the trigger 5x in 1.5 seconds like I’ve been doing to spit out max damage. Same with the gun and fists normal attack, it seems like I need to mash the buttons as quickly as possible to attack faster, unless I get the hammer upgrades where you can just hold the button.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

coiol posted:

I’m a couple years late on this but started Hades on PS5 a few weeks ago and I’m now 50ish runs in with 5 wins.

I died on the final boss something like 12 times before getting my first win around run 35-40 and I was starting to get pretty frustrated—I was able to consistently get to the final boss but in order to get the reps to learn patterns etc. I had to do a whole 30-minute run first, and I had already long maxed out the mirror and relevant trinkets. It definitely felt like a big difficulty spike to me where if you don’t have the right build to spit out enough damage quickly the final boss is way harder than anything else, at least until you learn how to dodge some of the more annoying attacks.

Anyway, now that I’ve figured out the final boss patterns I’m having a lot more fun. I’ve had the most success with Poseidon dash builds where I just stack up as many poms, Hermes extra dashes, and synergies on knockback as possible and everything melts in a few seconds. I find that it’s really hard on my thumb though, since I’m just mashing through 5x dash-strike back and forth as quickly as possible. The gun and fists have been my most successful weapons and my playstyle with those also involves mashing buttons as quickly as possible. Am I doing something weird or is this game just hard on the hands?

Poms suck, rarity is king.

Learn to game the drops to get a great build with whatever weapon you're using. If I DON'T make it to Hades on a run now, it's weird, and if I die in Styx it's rare but not uncommon. Not even getting past Theseus is a horribly poo poo run. This is on Heat 5-8 with most stuff.

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum

coiol posted:

I find that it’s really hard on my thumb though, since I’m just mashing through 5x dash-strike back and forth as quickly as possible. The gun and fists have been my most successful weapons and my playstyle with those also involves mashing buttons as quickly as possible. Am I doing something weird or is this game just hard on the hands?

I had a similar problem when I started playing too. Kinda hard on the hands, exacerbated by the addictive cycle of "well I died but let me at least go see what I can spend my darkness on before I turn it off, oops I'm picking weapon, oh no I've started another run, my cramping thumb be damned." You get used to it at least.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Fuzz posted:

Poms suck, rarity is king.

Learn to game the drops to get a great build with whatever weapon you're using. If I DON'T make it to Hades on a run now, it's weird, and if I die in Styx it's rare but not uncommon. Not even getting past Theseus is a horribly poo poo run. This is on Heat 5-8 with most stuff.

Yeah, once you get to a systematic understanding of what's going on, your variance goes way down. I don't know if I still have "fun" with the game, but it is a relaxing thing to put on for a bit, the way other people put on television. Haven't gotten every weapon to Heat 16 yet, but I'm close! I dip in for a couple hours every couple weeks and bump another one up a couple notches. Game's good.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

coiol posted:

There's a chance this game gave me tennis elbow from button mashing, so... I feel you.

Still love the game!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

coiol posted:

Maybe it’s just because of the dash-focused builds that I’ve been using? I don’t think I could even physically mash the trigger 5x in 1.5 seconds like I’ve been doing to spit out max damage. Same with the gun and fists normal attack, it seems like I need to mash the buttons as quickly as possible to attack faster, unless I get the hammer upgrades where you can just hold the button.
Hades was the first game to give me Nintendo thumb in over 20 years.
It looks like you've learned the strategy of getting a powerful build, and the effective tactic of explosive, overwhelming violence. But that doesn't always work against bosses.
It might be helpful to start playing with a different goal in mind for a while: learning all the tells, telegraphs, and patterns, so that you just don't get hit, with as efficient movement as you can. Try doing more of a pacifist type run fir a while. Then you can combine your newfound slipperyness with the explosive violence.

Just a thought :catdrugs:

kwokkie
Jan 19, 2011

Being a dumbass is the best form of defence.

coiol posted:

The fist aspect that gives you extra dashes also allows you to just keep the dash button pressed instead of mashing.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

coiol posted:

a good non-dash build is hestia gun. Remap the reload button to the journal button and youve got one of the most powerful weapons in the game with an easy to execute build. Get a little lucky with poms and boons and you can easily break 1k damage per attack at the end of the run. very fun and easy on the fingers

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-iHDj3EwdI

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
YEYEHDJFJDNSBCJDMD

e: wtf that was supposed to be "YEEEEEEEAH" what is my autocorrect doing

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

yooooooooooooooooooooo

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The teacher's hands looked like Meg's. There's a biggu frog. Hades is going to be rescued.

I can't believe there'll be two good video games.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wow Supergiant doing an actual sequel, Hades must have been massive for them. Not that I'm complaining, gimmie gimmie gimmie!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Hi this is my first post in this thread but I had a need to yell about NEW HADES NEW HADES NEW HADES with a bunch of other people

We're getting new Hades!!!!!! Not even just DLC! A whole game!!

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Seems like the protagonist is Hecate. Anyway, looking forward to simping for a whole new roster of Greek deities next year.

e: Actually it might be Melinoe. Hecate's Ms. Pointy Hat, maybe?

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 9, 2022

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
let's loving goooooooo I am IN

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I cannot even describe the emotion I'm experiencing right now. There are literally no words

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Nice.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

SexyBlindfold posted:

Seems like the protagonist is Hecate. Anyway, looking forward to simping for a whole new roster of Greek deities next year.

it's confirmed to be melinoe in the screenshots on the steam page, who would seem to be zagreus's sister according to the mythology - she's also a child of hades/persephone (though it's more complex than that as zeus is also cited as her father because the myths she appears in considered zeus & hades to be the same being)

so the main enemy is cronos who should be zagreus & melinoe's grandfather, but just looking at the wiki pages they might actually be going for zagreus = cronos as it seems like there's some very vague stuff they could piece together to create a narrative around that if they wanted

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

You can pet the dog, the dog, the dog and the frog

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
There are also an announcement blog post and a FAQ page.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Yeah considering the variations in the myth, they could spin this as a prequel, an alternate retelling, or even a sequel. Mad hype either way.

e: doesn't seem like the overarching framing device for the multiple retries will be as laid back as the first game, though, considering they're going for some Titanomachia poo poo. How will we make workplace buddies? :ohdear:

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 9, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

seems good, seems pretty good

lih
May 15, 2013

the announcement blog says it is a direct sequel

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Goddamn, this has been in the works for almost two years according to the blog.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
From the blog post Supergiant put out on their website:

quote:

Hades II is a direct sequel taking place sometime after the events of the original game. No prior knowledge of the original Hades is needed, though there are plenty of connections!

As Melinoë, the immortal Princess of the Underworld, you'll explore a bigger, deeper mythic world, vanquishing the Titan's forces with the full might of Olympus behind you, in a sweeping story that continually unfolds through your every setback and accomplishment. New locations, challenges, upgrade systems, and surprises await as you delve into the ever-shifting Underworld again and again.

Like her brother Zagreus from the original game, Melinoë is not a character of our own invention, and is based on an ancient Underworld deity thought to be related to Hades. What little ancient mythology exists about her was more than enough to make us want to explore her story and connection to her family, and in so doing, expand on our vision of the Underworld!

So it's a direct sequel and you play as Zag's sister, some of the dialogue from the trailer also seems to imply Hades has been captured (I think that was him chained up at the end of the trailer there?) and Kronos has presumably broken free from Tartarus somehow.

e. Oh hey the FAQ directly says Kronos and the other titans escaped and are the threat, fair enough.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Anything is going to be wild speculation, so here's some more.

I think Hades is captured, and the game is an inversion of the first, where you fight from the surface down to where he's imprisoned. Apollo is quoted as saying he can 'light the way down'.

The cloaked teacher either Charon or Megaera, who is working with - or to free - Zagreus, who will be available as an alternate playable character after a certain plot point. Lots of people were asking for an alternate character for HADES I, so this would be a neat way to do that. Not that these games lack any level of content.

There's no way the old characters like Charon and Thanatos aren't returning. Enlisting the various gods to help find Zagreus and rescue Hades would be a fun way to revisit the previous game's cast. Upending the natural order of things is going to tick off a lot of olympians, even Dionysius might get irked about the god of the dead being captured.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Ooh, FAQ also says they're gonna lean hard on witchy stuff. I'm guessing you'll be brewing all sorts of potions and shenanigans for upgrades. Can't wait to blow off rescuing my dad and saving the world because I need some newt's eggs for some fancy room decor a powerful spell that will change the tide of battle

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

well why not posted:

Anything is going to be wild speculation, so here's some more.

I think Hades is captured, and the game is an inversion of the first, where you fight from the surface down to where he's imprisoned. Apollo is quoted as saying he can 'light the way down'.

The cloaked teacher either Charon or Megaera, who is working with - or to free - Zagreus, who will be available as an alternate playable character after a certain plot point. Lots of people were asking for an alternate character for HADES I, so this would be a neat way to do that. Not that these games lack any level of content.

There's no way the old characters like Charon and Thanatos aren't returning. Enlisting the various gods to help find Zagreus and rescue Hades would be a fun way to revisit the previous game's cast. Upending the natural order of things is going to tick off a lot of olympians, even Dionysius might get irked about the god of the dead being captured.

According to this Hat Person is Hectate

https://twitter.com/0jenzee0/status/1601039221208145920

lih
May 15, 2013

yeah based on the faq hecate is surely the mentor witch

edit: oh it's confirmed now lol

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ok cool! death to cronos!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

LOL that an artist of her calibre and impressive portfolio has no checkmark.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I reiterate that I am a n̶̡̬͙̻̍̑͘͘ở̷̙͙̙̣̂͐̔͠ṛ̷̭̦̀͆́͌̎̑̈́̑͋m̸͓̉à̷̙̔̓͆́̑͒̕͠l̸̯̙̜̲͌͝ ̸͕̪̄̔͐̂̽̚͜͝ả̶̟̼̯̘̬͔͓̯̞̋̋͆̓̔͂̀͘m̶̢͖̗̝̟̞̙̝̆̍͊̚͝͠o̸̹͓̠͔̠͑͌͗ů̸̟̝̘̈́ṋ̸̢̠̞̲̯̠͈̈́̈́ẗ̷̡͙̹̱́̂̋̈́́̆̊̅̑ ̸̧̫̬̞̫̜̃̒ō̸̺͙̬̜̜̿̕f̶̧̨̞̤̲̲̿͆̊̚ ̷̛̮̙̥̳̹̲̹͈̝̃̅͋̽͌̊̀͝ē̴̫̘͎͙͔̘̋̓̈́͊̈́̉͒̏x̴͖̱̠͓̭̭͖̌̋̔̐̓͋̚͝͠c̴̢̗̼̠̖̤̦͈͒ḯ̷̫̠̹̜t̴̨̰̜̭̼̼̥̓͜ė̶̝̍̀̈́́̓̍͂͝d̵̼͙͍̮̟͆̐̉̔̐̇͐̕ for this game [vibrates into another dimension]

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I want to beat up Harvest/Time Grandpa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
It's inevitable that every Greek Mythology retelling must be "We must defeat a resurgent Kronos" since like Age Of Mythology