Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

AndrewP posted:

for Jason Garrett of all people

I may have my issues with Greg Roman but I guarantee he's running a more interesting college offense than Garrett

Finally got his revenge on the Ravens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Nodoze posted:

Wow lmao

This is how he ran the offense in Detroit and you'll be shocked to know how effective it was!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

What, you don't you remember Gronk specializing in nothing but five yard passes for a decade?

I think mcmagic might actually only remember what happened in the last game he just watched. That would explain a bunch.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

pmchem posted:

basic reading here for anyone who cares:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_(information_theory)

let's say a defense played cover-2 50% of the time, cover-3 25% of the time, and cover-1 25% of the time.

each defense type of a separate class, so let's count them as bits 0/1.

-1* (0.5*log2(0.5)+2*0.25*log2(0.25) ) = 1.5 in his entropy rating if using log base 2 for one-hot encoding of defense types, for that example.

say it was only 30% cover-2, and adding in 20% cover-0.

-1 * (0.3*log2(0.3)+2*0.25*log2(0.25)+0.2*log2(0.2)) = 1.985

basically the same ballpark as the numbers he's posting with my 'simple' examples. so somewhere at their site, they have data saying what formation the defense was running for every play, and then they just encoded those as above.

it's lovely that he didn't at least link the math, it's not complicated math

nice, thanks, and this is probably exactly what he's doing - play by play charting data will give you basic shells on a per snap basis. but it's so minimal and stupid and like you noted uncorrelated, it needs to be broken down farther or involve more insight than just what some intern says is the coverage, and it needs to be actually loving talked about instead of just tweeted. fuckin pff

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Rams 2023 starting QB Baker Mayfield ladies and gentlemen.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
What a hero

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
lol the Panthers cut Baker for Sam Darnold.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

wandler20 posted:

Baker isn't good. This is the just Raiders being the Raiders.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

you doubted him

wandler20 posted:

Still have a QB on the roster that shredded the Bucs.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Baker Mayfield.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

The Raiders are probably playing the best of those 4 teams right now lol

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

DariusLikewise posted:

Rams season is done, might as well get weird with it and let Baker get killed and throw a bunch of picks beat the Raiders and get McDaniels fired

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I'm going to die on the inside a little and my heart will become hardened against the Las Vegas Raiders.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

NFL should have 31 teams next season

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

NFL should have 31 teams next season

Which team are we relegating to the NCAA though. There's like at least 5 candidates this year

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
They really should cut that DL who got the taunting penalty on the last drive.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh god in another nightmare game Baker's first start with the Rams will be against Green Bay on MNF next week.

That's gonna be painful again for everyone involved.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

mcmagic posted:

They really should cut that DL who got the taunting penalty on the last drive.

It was Jerry Tillery, who the Chargers already cut earlier this season

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard posted:

Oh god in another nightmare game Baker's first start with the Rams will be against Green Bay on MNF next week.

That's gonna be painful again for everyone involved.

Oh my god it gets worse:

https://twitter.com/richeisen/status/1601076443303190529

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

They have a SNF vs the Chargers too

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

That Christmas Day game will be on Nickelodeon too. Baker Slime Time :getin:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

fartknocker posted:

That Christmas Day game will be on Nickelodeon too. Baker Slime Time :getin:

Baker NVPfield.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Give Baker Mayfield respect for (1) week

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

a neat cape posted:

Would just like to say I'm glad this place exists because good lord Twitter is a cesspool regarding the imaginary Tua vs Herbert rivalry

One of the most frustrating experiences for me is when I engage in debate/discussion with some sports nerd on Reddit / Twitter, in good faith. Then they say some poo poo that makes it immediately clear that they have no idea what they are talking about. It’s like, I just spent x minutes of my life giving a good faith and evidence based discussion then it turns out they don’t even know what players are on the team.

Here in TFF the population is small enough that you can learn about people and their biases, and also expect a baseline level of research and logic.

In conclusion, establish the run.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lmao that Xmas day game

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

One of the most frustrating experiences for me is when I engage in debate/discussion with some sports nerd on Reddit / Twitter, in good faith. Then they say some poo poo that makes it immediately clear that they have no idea what they are talking about. It’s like, I just spent x minutes of my life giving a good faith and evidence based discussion then it turns out they don’t even know what players are on the team.

Here in TFF the population is small enough that you can learn about people and their biases, and also expect a baseline level of research and logic.

I love this deadass subforum and I am reminded how good we have it every time I poke my head into a real or fantasy football reddit thread

Lmao that Xmas day game

Dan Snyder was so naughty santa just took a huge poo poo in a box and put it under all of our trees

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Lmao that Xmas day game

God bless us, everyone.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Lmao that Xmas day game

Battle of the washed up QBs... with Spongebob!

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Lmao that Xmas day game

I mean the upside is I doubt much of the audience will be sober. Or they will be at war with family members.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

gently caress the Cowboys.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i finally got popped for covid today for the first time and i feel like death but catching up on the end of that game has improved my mood so much

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm a very huge fan of the miami dolphins to win all of their remaining games and greatly help the cincinnati bengals to be able to safely lose a few games. the bengals would probably be fine to keep playing more games if they win 10 of their games from the full season, which they've got 8 of right now. i frankly expected them to have 7 rather than the full 8 but it's not a done deal by any means. they need to win about 2 of their remaining games, and only lose about 3 of their remaining games. so if they lose to the browns again, that's only 2 more losses they can do instead of 3 and they'd need to gain 2 wins to match the 2 losses, in 4 games total. if both the chargers and patriots keep losing their games it could open up the bengals to have up to 4 losses from this point forward that they can have to do/make but definitely no more than that. and one of the losses can't be against the patriots of course. the bengals don't play any of the teams that are in the same hunt as them except for the patriots. it would be ideal if there were 3 or fewer losses, and if two of the patriots, jets, and chargers did not reach 9 wins in the first place. the reason why i leave the dolphins out of that group is not because they have the most wins but because they face all three of those other teams, meaning i'd want them to get in rather than giving all those other teams a better chance. this month we're going to get very close to finding out who all gets into the playoffs and who doesn't get into it at all. most likely next month will decide one or two final spots as well as some seeding. Edit everyone will play 2 games next month except for the cowboys and the titans who will play an extra game against one another this month instead and they'll only play one game each next month.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 9, 2022

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Cavauro posted:

i'm a very huge fan of the miami dolphins to win all of their remaining games and greatly help the cincinnati bengals to be able to safely lose a few games. the bengals would probably be fine to keep playing more games if they win 10 of their games from the full season, which they've got 8 of right now. i frankly expected them to have 7 rather than the full 8 but it's not a done deal by any means. they need to win about 2 of their remaining games, and only lose about 3 of their remaining games. so if they lose to the browns again, that's only 2 more losses they can do instead of 3 and they'd need to gain 2 wins to match the 2 losses, in 4 games total. if both the chargers and patriots keep losing their games it could open up the bengals to have up to 4 losses from this point forward that they can have to do/make but definitely no more than that. and one of the losses can't be against the patriots of course. the bengals don't play any of the teams that are in the same hunt as them except for the patriots. it would be ideal if there were 3 or fewer losses, and if two of the patriots, jets, and chargers did not reach 9 wins in the first place. the reason why i leave the dolphins out of that group is not because they have the most wins but because they face all three of those other teams, meaning i'd want them to get in rather than giving all those other teams a better chance. this month we're going to get very close to finding out who all gets into the playoffs and who doesn't get into it at all. most likely next month will decide one or two final spots as well as some seeding. Edit everyone will play 2 games next month except for the cowboys and the titans who will play an extra game against one another this month instead and they'll only play one game each next month.

please sleep

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Bengo win the north please

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

kidcoelacanth posted:

i finally got popped for covid today for the first time and i feel like death but catching up on the end of that game has improved my mood so much

Lol I tested positive last night so this is my third time on the fun adventure

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I see that putting any faith in Derek Carr was a mistake

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Cavauro posted:

It's true, all of it

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Jason Garrett turned down Stanford, Roman watch is back on

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Quiet Feet posted:

gently caress the Cowboys.

:hai:

Cavauro posted:

No threats against John Harbaugh, unrequited love for Shannon Sharpe, or mention of &ę. 5/10 AFC North post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

sharknado slashfic posted:

Jason Garrett turned down Stanford, Roman watch is back on

It’d be such a tidy exit and I don’t have faith in Harbs to do the needful