Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Arrath posted:

Is there some combo of temperature/rainfall in the embark site finder that amounts to "Trees: Yes"?
Don't worry, it'll be fine as long as you're buying property with access to flux stone and iron.

Serious answer(assuming this is a lost DF question): Any decent amount of rain and any sort of temperate or hot climate should give results with a bunch of trees. It's also pretty trivial to trade for more wood in most cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
3 bed
2 bath
Complex trap and drawbridge system
Basement full of lava due to failed megaproject
Asking price $1.5 million

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

And there's something nasty locked in the downstairs loo

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

Arrath posted:

Is there some combo of temperature/rainfall in the embark site finder that amounts to "Trees: Yes"?
haha that's a dwarf fortress question, isn't it

Deeply confusing because when I came here, I also thought this was the DF thread, and was reading the post above that one expecting a fort-flooding story:

SpartanIvy posted:

My friend excavated his sewer line to replace it because it had failed and he discovered that the person that installed it didn't bother to use couplings to join the 4" to 3" PVC and just jammed one inside the other and buried it. No wonder it failed.

Seeing Leperflesh's avatar in my peripheral vision below it all only further cemented the confusion.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Xlorp posted:

And there's something nasty locked in the downstairs loo

Is it the notice that's telling my my house is going to be destroyed for a bypass?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
crappy construction: PO looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Crappy construction: It menaces with spikes of spray foam.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

haha that's a dwarf fortress question, isn't it

How the hell did I get here.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Haifisch posted:

Carved on the house is an image of the previous owner and current owner. The previous owner is laughing. The current owner is crying.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Arrath posted:

How the hell did I get here.

This is not your beautiful Groverhaus

Xlorp fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 8, 2022

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/JamesClayton5/status/1600659429925351426

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

They can never leave and we can never be free.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Report them to Elon for having woke privileges.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wesleywillis posted:

Is it the notice that's telling my my house is going to be destroyed for a bypass?

No, that's locked in a filing cabinet in a locked basement with no lights, and no stairs, in an abandoned building. Or something like that.

And, as the Elon thread has noted, they are doing this for Twitter! If it was crunch time to solve world hunger or cure cancer, sure, but this is for an ultimately useless, quite possibly detrimental-to-society, social-loving-media site. Also, coding wasn't Twitter's problem to begin with... Monetization and moderation were their issues, both of which were made intensely MORE of a problem by Space Karen.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Haifisch posted:

I had 90% of a can left over after sealing a wall crack, and made a gigantic wad on my lawn. Apparently from a distance, a large mound of foam looks exactly like a fuckhuge paper wasp's nest. So the foam orb menaces with spikes of small insects, I guess?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
from r/diy:

Used drywall compound instead of tile adhesive. How screwed am I ?

quote:

It was an accident. Put most of the backsplash with the proper adhesive. Picked up the wrong bucket for the last 5 sq feet. The stuff has almost set (20 hrs). The tile seems to be in place for now. Should I redo ?

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Vim Fuego posted:

from r/diy:

Used drywall compound instead of tile adhesive. How screwed am I ?

So, I know just enough to know this is almost certainly very bad and will need to be redone. However, can someone more knowledgeable give me the breakdown on exactly how bad it is?

I would speculate it's some combination of possible moisture exposure being more damaging to drywall compound and the compound not having any of the flex needed by the tile to accommodate shrink/growth, so it would just crumble into dust super fast.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Drywall compound isn't an adhesive. There may be some pva (elmers glue) in it, depending on what kind it is. But it's not going to stick to tiles at all. So they just have 5 sqft of the backsplash that'll fall off the wall at any time if they don't pull the tile and redo it

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Vim Fuego posted:

Drywall compound isn't an adhesive. There may be some pva (elmers glue) in it, depending on what kind it is. But it's not going to stick to tiles at all. So they just have 5 sqft of the backsplash that'll fall off the wall at any time if they don't pull the tile and redo it
I'd be tempted in his shoes just to see how long it lasts. Honestly, it's a backsplash, if it doesn't fall apart during grouting, it'll probably go the distance.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Vim Fuego posted:

And if any amount of liquid gets on it, it'll soak through into whatever's underneath. It's less a question of "should I redo" vs. "I need a night to step away and accept that I need to redo it". Hopefully it's just 5 ft^2 and not "a 5 ft square"

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I don't believe that post at all. Tile mastic adhesive is drastically different from sparkling compound. That was not a mistake, they just did not want to drive to the store or spend money or whatever the reason

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I just removed the floor tile from my master bathroom. It came up nice and easy since it was laid over 1/4" plywood. The thinset didn't adhere particularly well to it. It was held down onto the subfloor with a haphazard pattern of yellow construction screws, so that came up pretty easy as well. If course I kept turning around to find another screw I didn't see the last time.

The wall tile was super easy to remove, I was able to pull off the entire section of drywall it was adhered to, and just have a clean sheet of tile and drywall. The nails either pulled out or pulled through the drywall with a little rhythmic pulling.

This bathroom is going to be a lot harder to demo for the next owner.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Reportedly: the flex gas line going to the furnace and water heater. An electrical short to ground had energized the steel pipe somewhere else in the house.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

How else are you going to make it warm if you don't heat it?! Working as designed.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Vim Fuego posted:

Reportedly: the flex gas line going to the furnace and water heater. An electrical short to ground had energized the steel pipe somewhere else in the house.

Jesus loving christ that's a cursed image. The kind of poo poo they find when they develop the film in a camera recovered from the rubble

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

For a moment I thought the CaseModding trend had passed from computers to plumbing, no such luck:eek:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

By popular demand posted:

For a moment I thought the CaseModding trend had passed from computers to plumbing, no such luck:eek:

I watercool my solar panels using my hot water intake line, which preheats the feed for doubly greater efficiency gains.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That seems like it would take more skill than most home owners have to do properly.
How much work was it?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

~Coxy posted:

I watercool my solar panels using my hot water intake line, which preheats the feed for doubly greater efficiency gains.

When I was a kid my dad - who was and continues to believe that he is very handy* - got on an efficiency kick and decided to cut down on the water heating bills. Note that he made a very good living, we were upper middle class by anyone's standards. This wasn't a necessity leading to weird poo poo situation.

He goes to the dump** and gets a water heater that someone else had thrown away and guts it out so that it's just the tank. He painted this black, and put it up-hill from our house. Idea being that the well would pump this tank full, it would sit there in the sun all day and get warm, and from there it was piped to the actual hot water heater. Garbage dump tank warms the water in the sun, this is warmer than well water, so the water heater has a little less work to do and he saves ten cents a year on heating water.

A few issues: 1) there was just an obscene gently caress-ton of exposed copper piping going between the house and this tank on the hill. I want to say about 50 yards between the two tanks, but it might have been upwards of 75. Plus the piping from the (closer) well pump. Not only did this look like something out of a favela, but it also created a gently caress ton of exposed pipe that pretty rapidly cooled the tank water down to whatever the ambient temp was. Which, given that we lived near the canadian border, was not great. So then they got wrapped in insulation, but it was still an issue.

2) he had perpetual problems keeping the pipes clean. I don't know if this was a real problem or if it was something my mom was concerned about, but in retrospect yeah a giant vat of probably ~80 degree well water in the summer is probably way up there in terms of ways to give your family some hosed up disease.

3) it looked sketch as gently caress. We had the sheriff visit a couple of times because of concerned calls from the neighbors. Family lore says they thought he was building a bomb, but in retrospect I suspect they thought he was running a still or a meth lab or something.

It ended up getting torn down a few months later. To this day my dad insists that it was an unreasonable demand from my mother.

Sadly, in the end he did not save any money.

*he is, yet he isn't. He's clever enough to read instructions and mechanically inclined enough to figure out how to get things to work, but grew up on a rural farm and will absolutely do the hackiest, ugliest, weirdest thing possible for reasons like "I don't have that tool" and "avoiding another trip to the hardware store." He's basically the elemental form of PO. I weep for the people who own houses after him. He's semi-notorious in TFR for "fixing" a black powder musket by welding a hex nut in place of a broken-off hammer, if that is any indication.

**might have not been the dump? I dunno, I was like six. It's become "the garbage dump" in family retellings of this story, though, and that's funnier than wherever else you get a second hand water tank and this is the internet so garbage dump it is

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cyrano4747 posted:

A few issues: 1) there was just an obscene gently caress-ton of exposed copper piping going between the house and this tank on the hill. I want to say about 50 yards between the two tanks, but it might have been upwards of 75.
I'm surprised he had a chance to demo it before someone else did it for him.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Splicer posted:

I'm surprised he had a chance to demo it before someone else did it for him.

If he did that today the meth heads 100% would have it down overnight.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Vim Fuego posted:

Dominic you rat!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

kitten emergency posted:

Dominic you rat!

:lol:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Cyrano4747 posted:

When I was a kid my dad - who was and continues to believe that he is very handy* - got on an efficiency kick and decided to cut down on the water heating bills. Note that he made a very good living, we were upper middle class by anyone's standards. This wasn't a necessity leading to weird poo poo situation.

He goes to the dump** and gets a water heater that someone else had thrown away and guts it out so that it's just the tank. He painted this black, and put it up-hill from our house. Idea being that the well would pump this tank full, it would sit there in the sun all day and get warm, and from there it was piped to the actual hot water heater. Garbage dump tank warms the water in the sun, this is warmer than well water, so the water heater has a little less work to do and he saves ten cents a year on heating water.

A few issues: 1) there was just an obscene gently caress-ton of exposed copper piping going between the house and this tank on the hill. I want to say about 50 yards between the two tanks, but it might have been upwards of 75. Plus the piping from the (closer) well pump. Not only did this look like something out of a favela, but it also created a gently caress ton of exposed pipe that pretty rapidly cooled the tank water down to whatever the ambient temp was. Which, given that we lived near the canadian border, was not great. So then they got wrapped in insulation, but it was still an issue.

2) he had perpetual problems keeping the pipes clean. I don't know if this was a real problem or if it was something my mom was concerned about, but in retrospect yeah a giant vat of probably ~80 degree well water in the summer is probably way up there in terms of ways to give your family some hosed up disease.

3) it looked sketch as gently caress. We had the sheriff visit a couple of times because of concerned calls from the neighbors. Family lore says they thought he was building a bomb, but in retrospect I suspect they thought he was running a still or a meth lab or something.

It ended up getting torn down a few months later. To this day my dad insists that it was an unreasonable demand from my mother.

Sadly, in the end he did not save any money.

*he is, yet he isn't. He's clever enough to read instructions and mechanically inclined enough to figure out how to get things to work, but grew up on a rural farm and will absolutely do the hackiest, ugliest, weirdest thing possible for reasons like "I don't have that tool" and "avoiding another trip to the hardware store." He's basically the elemental form of PO. I weep for the people who own houses after him. He's semi-notorious in TFR for "fixing" a black powder musket by welding a hex nut in place of a broken-off hammer, if that is any indication.

**might have not been the dump? I dunno, I was like six. It's become "the garbage dump" in family retellings of this story, though, and that's funnier than wherever else you get a second hand water tank and this is the internet so garbage dump it is

This is the textbook example of how you get legionella.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

By popular demand posted:

That seems like it would take more skill than most home owners have to do properly.
How much work was it?

Sorry, it was a joke about watercooling/PC/RGB lights.
I've always thought it would be a "good" idea though, in yet another one of those "the benefit is so marginal so as to not be worth the expense and upkeep" ways.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Who was that goon who wanted to run a water cooling loop from his pc through his foundation block, and was planning to do so by just embedding a straight ~5m run of copper directly in the concrete?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Renaissance Robot posted:

Who was that goon who wanted to run a water cooling loop from his pc through his foundation block, and was planning to do so by just embedding a straight ~5m run of copper directly in the concrete?

This one is famous.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2022/dec/13/an-unfinished-frankensteins-monster-the-disastrous-new-orange-county-museum-of-art

quote:

“It doesn’t bother me,” says a cheerful Heidi Zuckerman, director of OCMA. “I believe in wabi-sabi – I think there’s a beauty in imperfection. Sometimes you can only appreciate a finished thing by experiencing it unfinished.” She joined the museum in January 2021, midway through construction, and inherited a project that already had a long and tortured history. “There had been 17 designs,” she says, “over 14 years.”

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

OrangeCounty.jpg (This is Southern California btw, not some faux orange county like the one in Florida.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

quote:

Thom Mayne, the 78-year-old Pritzker prize winning founder of Morphosis, has always had an interest in the provisional, contingent nature of architecture. “I have no interest in completing projects,” he said in a recent interview.