Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

In fact, why is he putting so much weight on audio to animation? If there's supposed to be millions of NPC, surely nobody's intending to record a substantial share of total dialogue. So there's a script generator which is creating to dialogue in writing. If you have the script, why not animate the face from that directly? Why make these processes sequential rather than parallel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Shazback posted:

In fact, why is he putting so much weight on audio to animation? If there's supposed to be millions of NPC, surely nobody's intending to record a substantial share of total dialogue. So there's a script generator which is creating to dialogue in writing. If you have the script, why not animate the face from that directly? Why make these processes sequential rather than parallel?

Yes uh huh you see that's a good question but *checks notes* you obviously don't understand game development and anyway, it's an alpha.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
I offer this up to the physics gods

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlueSneakyNoodleMingLee-T7ognJVvGscgp5U7

Let CIG do something stupid again soon. Save us from this river of PES cat...

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

colonelwest posted:

Piss Cat has to be the absolute last believer in the “millions of life-like NPCs” promise. CIG itself has been walking that back for years, and the dream pretty much died among citizens years ago when they put Hurston in the game and Loreville turned out to be a tiny area with a dozen NPCs t-posing and standing on chairs. The NPCs in Oblivion are light years beyond what CIG currently has in SC.
For me, the weird part is the fixation on the "DNA". From what I gather from his posts it's pretty much the equivalent of the settings in character creator, which is not really new or unique. Just going by a very simple version of a character creator (fixed options, no sliders/etc), if you have 10 sets of noses, 10 sets of eyebrows, 10 sets of mouths, 10 sets of cheekbones, 10 sets of jawlines, 10 hair styles, 10 sets of eye colour and 10 sets of skin colour, then you already have 100 million unique combinations and that's just with fixed basic options. Nowadays character creators are generally far more advanced than that.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

When Piss Cat talks about "DNA" he means "Do, Not, Ask!", a key part of any true Chris Roberts cultist.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

The Titanic posted:

They spent a lot of time creating an area for Ben

:golfclap:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Shazback posted:

Well you see, there is a text generator based on the DNA and persistent infinite NPCs, and CIG is going to make their own quantum text to speech engine that will be the best text to speech engine ever made, and they will use that generated speech to drive the mouth animation. In fact, the text to speech generation is going to be so good that it will be professional actor quality, and it will be so good that individual DNA-generated NPCs will become so beloved that they become celebrities themselves, and Hollywood will want to license those CIG-owned NPCs, revolutionizing the film and TV industries and provide an alternate source of revenue for CIG while also being so cool that it will drive nongamers to be interested in Star Citizen so they will join and be blown away and then buy an Idris.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Pixelate posted:

I offer this up to the physics gods

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlueSneakyNoodleMingLee-T7ognJVvGscgp5U7

Let CIG do something stupid again soon. Save us from this river of PES cat...

All funny is on lockdown.

I'm not sure there are any events where funny stuff happens, just not promises that will never be met and everybody enjoys the spit cake.

Any opinions are not allowed.

Any backers trying to get answers get shut down.

There's no funny really anymore outside of picking on random dumb backers unfortunately.

Star citizen was the friends we made and lost along the way. :shobon:

I think the game will be in alpha longer than anyone can continue to care to try to pick on it. I don't think the Roberts' will ever have to face what they did to people, and they will live on to be millionaires.

We never learned what game development is, though.

Good job I guess. Fund my life campaign: succfl lnding

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/iziBNUN.mp4

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Mirificus posted:

quote:

Another feature not fully grasped is that you are paying for the right to create a unique character in the game universe - even with Squadron 42. They will be selling extra character slots to existing game package holders.

You won't be able to endlessly repeat play Squadron 42 as the same character, there's a very good but long winded explanation for this which is related to the fact that Squadron 42 takes place in the same game universe as Star Citizen. If you want to replay any part of the Squadron 42 story line to make different choices for your game character you have to make a new one - ie buy another character slot. You CAN replay the combat sections in Squadron 42 as many times as you like with the same character in the EA Arena Commander simulator. This isn't new, it was the same in the Wing Commander games except that there was no charge to start a new character..

this guy is just ... making things up, but more importantly he makes things up that bear no relation to any way they would ever release the game

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

You can add "DNA-generated NPCs" to the list of poo poo that Star Citizen is late on. Fallout 4's character creation segment starts with your character and their spouse in the bathroom getting ready for the day. Even though you only end up playing one character, you can swap between the two and make whatever changes you want. The game will save the appearances of both, then later on use those character models to create your son as an adult. A lot of people never picked up on it because unless you go out of your way to change both characters, the son will still get half their appearance from one of these two dipsticks, making them look very similar to the son from any other given playthrough.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

kissekatt posted:

For me, the weird part is the fixation on the "DNA". From what I gather from his posts it's pretty much the equivalent of the settings in character creator, which is not really new or unique. Just going by a very simple version of a character creator (fixed options, no sliders/etc), if you have 10 sets of noses, 10 sets of eyebrows, 10 sets of mouths, 10 sets of cheekbones, 10 sets of jawlines, 10 hair styles, 10 sets of eye colour and 10 sets of skin colour, then you already have 100 million unique combinations and that's just with fixed basic options. Nowadays character creators are generally far more advanced than that.

Maybe it’ll be like GTA Online where your appearance is decided by choosing who your parents were

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Of course they mean that your spaceman’s DNA will be modeled down to the molecular level, and every time you make a new character it will be a complex simulation of fertilization.

Come to think of it, did Chris just rip off the whole concept of Death of a Spaceman and “DNA” from Peter Molyneux and his crazy promises for Fable?

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.
I remember DNA as in genetics mixing to create new characters back in The Sims 2 18 years ago, and it only got more complex from there so yeah...never done before!

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

More about the secret cabal that's trying to ruin SC.
Imagine Spectrum mods giving you total freedom to attack random people and accusing them of being agitators for a secret group. now that's something backers'd be asking questions about.

quote:

Hmm that kinda gives an indication of how much attention you pay, the subject hasn't left the front page for over 12 hours. Most browsers you can use the mouse scroll wheel to scroll down the page. I think that might be why they call it the scroll wheel. If not then try the 'page up' and 'page down' keys.

On the other hand you could be one of those crew who has been 'encouraged' to keep the subject on the front page as though it will make any difference at all? It won't.
Check out what our friends are talking about over at that long running Star Citizen thread on FD forums - can you guess what the subject might be?

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/star-citizen-discussion-thread-v12.548510/post-10025338

Isn't that interesting, two other threads about stretch goals of all things just happen to have turned up in this forum before the Galaxy Q&A hit.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/star-citizen-discussion-thread-v12.548510/post-10025568

Two threads on the exact same subject:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/stretch-goals-anyone-part-1
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/stretch-goals-anyone-part-2

Hijacking the front page with predominantly negative posts is part of a strategy.

another citizen detective posted:

100% correct, it is clear there is a group who has an agenda on specturm, in chat in the verse, and in social media. For reason we will never understand CIG allows them do it.

There's proof! But sadly it can't be shown due to spoilers or sumthing.

quote:

They are most active in other areas, particularly Discord and Reddit but I can't link to them here. there is a video of one of them openly admitting it but the mods won't let it be posted.

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Dec 8, 2022

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

BumbleOne posted:

can this be true?
this thing is an ai?
if so then humanities days are numbered.

Mellow_ posted:

if this is actually an ai and not a hoax i am sufficiently freaked out

I tried it myself, you need to register https://chat.openai.com/chat

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It is quite apparent it is using TonyZ's advanced tech to write those. There will be NPC bards in Star Citizen.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Dwesa posted:

I tried it myself, you need to register https://chat.openai.com/chat

I still can't quite believe this.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
First AI came for our art. Now they come for our jokes and words.

I should just get AI to write my posts so I can jump on the future ahead of everyone else.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

I should just get AI to write my posts so I can jump on the future ahead of everyone else.

Maybe CIG can get AI to make their game.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

Maybe CIG can get AI to make their game.

This is pretty much how Chris believes software development happens. You just layer on the code. I believe at one point backers also thought that the AI would be so lifelike it would be able to do new things and interactions in the game as well, effectively writing new narratives for players to play with.

Who'd of thunk that it would all result in rather bad ship fights, AI that can only mix a drink on mostly empty servers, combat AI that barely responds to your presence and shoots through walls when it does detect you, t-posing on furniture, and cargo drop points that sometimes work and sometimes don't acknowledge the cargo you brought to them at all?

It's really ground breaking! Never done before perfection of "doesn't really work reliably at all" levels of functionality across the board. :)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

I still can't quite believe this.

Roses are red violets are blue
Buy a loving Idris you fudster, there is no rhyme, buy it!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Kavros posted:

this guy is just ... making things up, but more importantly he makes things up that bear no relation to any way they would ever release the game

I always assumed he was repeating as gospel stuff CIG spitballed once and quietly dropped, but I suppose it's nearly impossible to tell between that and making stuff up entirely.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

The Titanic posted:

:hmmyes:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
posted by human hands and good old fashioned grey matter; though admittedly it does not understand game development

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
FUD meets retcopium...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9exJwmpH4J0&t=200s

Or something

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 9, 2022

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

You must have Platinum to view this message.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

:haw:
                                                                                                                            :shrug:                                                                                                               

:hellyeah:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Mr. Peepers posted:

:hmmyes:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Do red lasers still mean bad guys?

Somebody tell me because I'm not sure who is good or bad anymore, only that my credit card still has money on it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Mr. Peepers posted:

Oh. Good to see we're using google docs again for the registry. I was still on the other one. I'll shift over to this one tonight.

Buy an idris! :allears:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Somebody tell me because I'm not sure who is good or bad anymore, only that my credit card still has money on it.

Bad guys use rainbow lasers .... or is that good guys? ..... poo poo Star Citizen has broken me.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I guess it's got that the citizen weirdos dump their money into this rather than stochastic terrorism

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

CIG totally loving with backers again on their Galaxy Q&A.

They want you to choose and don't want to clutter your inventory, that's the only reason there's no stock module, promise!

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 9, 2022

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Well Elite has stuff you have to buy for the carrier and you have to spend five billion. Also sometimes npcs clip through stuff so Star Citizen is superior.

I'm buying another two Idris right now!

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

The Titanic posted:

In actual space sims, yes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMa3LXe6oVc&t=106s

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

The Titanic posted:

Green lasers.

e: although there was this -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0U28bjvn1g So I guess it's a wash.

Plan R fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 9, 2022

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Mr. Peepers posted:

:hai:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

CIG totally loving with backers again on their Galaxy Q&A.

They want you to choose and don't want to clutter your inventory, that's the only reason there's no stock module, promise!

:lol: Q&A did not satisfy backers

linked image of Qs:

Also

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 9, 2022

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Dwesa posted:

:lol: Q&A did not satisfy backers

What amuses me with this one is that the backer is clearly an rear end in a top hat. 'What size vehicle can fit?' is a fairly normal question, but they call it stupid because they're beginning to grasp they got taken for a ride and their pride is stung and they can't see anything but what is personally important to them as remotely valid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

what is aerodynamics?

:reddit: Cutlass in VTOL mode has some insane vertical speed.

https://v.redd.it/qu7mrwdu0u4a1/DASH_480.mp4