Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When you're a cop society is your bathroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hector Delgado posted:

Had this happen last night.

those are some goddamn pecs

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The spike walls laying all over the place because everything else has a kinda plausible reason for being there and feel like practical props or places.... but those? What are they for? Just random identical death spike panels littered across three generations of varying habitations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
On rare occasion you'll enter a room or hallway where the builders got sloppy and forgot to install death spikes on the walls. In these situations it's still possible to instakill the zombies since they're coded to die the second they're placed in terrain they can't navigate. I killed three of them in a row by picking them up one by one and gently dropping them on the other side of this railing:

You can't get rewards from attacking the corpses like if you impaled them on spikes but it still beats trying to fight three enemies at once.

e: Killed this one by dropping it in the narrow area between the stairs and the wall.

e2: Aaaaaand that's the end.

As one of my most anticipated games of the year I can't help but feel a bit let down, there's a lot of potential but it just doesn't come together as a whole. The atmosphere and production value of a great game is all there, unfortunately the story is trash, the combat system is trash and only saved by instakill traps and exploits allowing you to mostly avoid it, the weapons are trash, the weapon upgrades are trash, the level design is trash, the enemy variety is trash, there are only two bosses and both are trash. Every actual game part of the game is mediocre to bad but if they could do a significant rework of the mechanics while keeping the setting and atmosphere they could make something amazing.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Dec 9, 2022

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Post Trauma. PT. How cute.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It’s a Tormented Souls like game though, starring an older man with mad cake. There was a demo passed around maybe last year? Pretty well received as a teaser.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Bogart posted:

Post Trauma. PT. How cute.

I suffer post trauma everyday on this site.

al-azad posted:

It’s a Tormented Souls like game though, starring an older man with mad cake. There was a demo passed around maybe last year? Pretty well received as a teaser.

As long as it's not about someone that has or is fighting someone that has some kind of mental illness, great.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I picked up and played some RE6 Mercenaries again and something about that stupid game's combat system is really fun. It's a lot more interesting than you might think at first.

Is there ANY other game that has a similar combat system?
I tried RE4 but I couldn't deal with the tank controls at all. I tried RE Revelations 2 as well but that game's combat was WAY basic compared to RE6.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

I picked up and played some RE6 Mercenaries again and something about that stupid game's combat system is really fun. It's a lot more interesting than you might think at first.

I tried RE4 but I couldn't deal with the tank controls at all. I tried RE Revelations 2 as well but that game's combat was WAY basic compared to RE6.

Vanquish?? kinda

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
I've been a defender of TCP. It's flawed but it has something to it. The graphics are awesome. I really like just moving around (except when sprint is suddenly disabled). But man, this boss fight is....this might be me putting down the game. Even playing on easy, I clear the add-on enemies and...then just died... Now I'm back before the stupid fight again.

Is there any no-brainer way to power through this part? I haven't been upgrading the glove and throwing dudes off the sides isn't always certain anyways.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Vanquish?? kinda

Yeah, now that you mention it Vanquish is the closes game to RE6, down to doing wrestling moves and rolling on the floor lika a maniac.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Post Trauma is made by one guy, I was guess the demo generated enough interest he has a publisher now? that evidently threw some money around to get a trailer on the game awards? (although the trailer was extremely weak and that definitely was not the audience for it)

Basticle fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 9, 2022

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

tensai posted:

I've been a defender of TCP. It's flawed but it has something to it. The graphics are awesome. I really like just moving around (except when sprint is suddenly disabled). But man, this boss fight is....this might be me putting down the game. Even playing on easy, I clear the add-on enemies and...then just died... Now I'm back before the stupid fight again.

Is there any no-brainer way to power through this part? I haven't been upgrading the glove and throwing dudes off the sides isn't always certain anyways.

Not really but there should have been a checkpoint between the waves of enemies and actual boss starting at least. Apparently if you can shoot the tentacles as soon as they appear you can kill them quick but I'm not good enough for that lol.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

tensai posted:

But man, this boss fight is....this might be me putting down the game. Even playing on easy, I clear the add-on enemies and...then just died... Now I'm back before the stupid fight again.

The loot in the four crates at the start randomizes every time you die, maybe just keep at it until you get a bunch of glove batteries. Throwing guys off the side is a guaranteed kill every time, or you can throw them into the fan if that's closer.

For the actual boss, it has no combos. If you follow a dodge - shoot - dodge - shoot pattern it has no way of damaging you, just be patient. When it drop to its knees after being shot a bunch of times, run up and bash its head in then repeat for the other head.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The_White_Crane posted:

Right, well, I finished Callisto Protocol and goddamn but that was mediocre.

The setting was utterly forgettable, as were all the characters -- even more so than Dead Space. The way that Jacob and Dani end up with like, a comradely buddy relationship within about four conversations after they are forced to work together is deeply unconvincing.

The one gimmick where after you complete a melee combo there is a chance that your aim will snap to the enemy so you can pull off a quick follow-up gunshot conflicts with the other gimmick, when enemies pop out a bunch of tentacles, and you have to shoot them there quickly before they mutate into a more powerful form, because the aim-snap usually aims at their head, making it actively more difficult to hit the tentacles.

The whole melee combat system, in fact, is kind of bad IMO. Dodging trivialises any 1v1 fight when it works properly, but occasionally just... doesn't work for no apparent reason (yes, I know you have to alternate directions) and blocking is effectively almost pointless because you take chip damage. Even with the upgrade that reduces that, why would you block in melee when you can just dodge and take no damage at all? It's not like the counter attack is that much better than just evading and using the strong strike.

On top of that, the enemies are boring. We've got "bipedal melee dude" "bigger bipedal melee dude" "bipedal melee dude with some armor" "bipedal melee dude with cancer arms" "bipedal melee dude who can't see" and our special exciting bonus enemies "bipedal dude who spits at you until you shoot him in the head once" and "quadrupedal stealth melee dude". Compare that to Dead Space, which gave you the standard melee dude, and then gave you the dude with the exploding arm, the dude with the belly full of parasites, the little triple-tentacle ranged enemies, the corpse-reviving manta-rays and the super-fast glitchy stasis guys, as well as having multiple different bosses as opposed to just "bigger bipedal melee dude with two heads."

The way guns and ammo are handled is poo poo, because unlocking more guns means you find more different ammo types, which means more stacks to fill up your incredibly small inventory. The fact that all the weapons have identical upgrades except for slightly different alt-fires feels lazy. GRP batteries selling for only 10 credits is bizarre, and incentivises you to drop them in favour of more valuable items, which only exacerbates the pitifully tiny amount of energy you get for the GRP -- it is loving insane they made it drain energy constantly while you're just holding a dude.

The unskippable shop purchase and death animations are incredibly tedious after the first couple of hours, and this is made worse by the horrible checkpointing, like that one section before the big moving platform with the fans.

The stealth sections are incredibly slow and present zero challenge, since the enemies literally cannot hear anything except uncrouched footsteps, meaning you can shiv one right next to his buddy and then stomp on the corpse to get the items out without them noticing.

Not being able to listen to audio logs while moving is stupid and meant that I barely listened to any, and it is such a bizarre choice given how much of the game you spend just slowly walking from one place to another.

Encounter design is terrible, in as much as what they usually do is lock you in an arena, and spawn enemies as you move further into the area, which means is that the optimal playstyle is to advance until you hear the sound of an enemy going BLARGH, then backtrack a bit and stand there waiting until that enemy comes into Beating Range and kill it before you move on, because if you advance to meet it you will likely spawn more enemies and fights against two or more are vastly more difficult than fights against one.

About the only unalloyed compliment I can give it is that it's very pretty! But it's not even interestingly pretty, it's just the most generic Metal Corridors With Meaty Chunks sci-fi setting; it doesn't even have the overall feeling of a consistent theme that you get in the original Dead Space which helps create a sense of placehood. I remember what the Ishimura looked like, but I'm damned if I'm going to be able to picture any locations from Black Iron in three months time.

It's competent, and it would be harsh to say it's a bad game, but goddamn it is bland and there are so many really terrible design decisions.
This. My biggest issue is the story or more accurately the story telling is poo poo compared both dead spaces. All the audio logs suck and the place never feels like a place or alive. Hell they even gently caress up the intro tram ride by not really showing scenery or having you get walked in. To me it feels like the dumb parts of resident evil wearing dead spaces skin.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I can recommend a good video game called Binary Domain

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Choo choo Charles just released. Hope it lives up to hype.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm seeing mixed reviews despite the 84% positive right now on Steam. Basically everything I thought, that it's a fun concept but unpolished and thin. Hopefully it's a game with a long tail.

e: I'm also of the belief that a horror game should be kind of bad and this game seems perfect for the kind of streamer that demands constant engagement.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 9, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

$20 for a indie horror game isn't too bad, even if it is a little janky. I just can't play it around my wife who hates Thomas the Tank Engine in the way that some people would hate a debilitating disease.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's a single dude's passion project and it absolutely looks and feels like it, but it's the kind of weird jank i treasure out of indie titles so it gets a pass

most importantly, it's not trying to be anything other than its absurd premise. if you wanna play a game where you're constantly pursued by an evil train spider on a railway and you gotta level up enough to defeat it, then that's exactly what you're getting

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

al-azad posted:

I'm seeing mixed reviews despite the 84% positive right now on Steam. Basically everything I thought, that it's a fun concept but unpolished and thin. Hopefully it's a game with a long tail.

e: I'm also of the belief that a horror game should be kind of bad and this game seems perfect for the kind of streamer that demands constant engagement.

I will pick it up again eventually, but I just traded in for dead space remake. Edit. Oops sorry. Meant calisto.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

This. My biggest issue is the story or more accurately the story telling is poo poo compared both dead spaces. All the audio logs suck and the place never feels like a place or alive. Hell they even gently caress up the intro tram ride by not really showing scenery or having you get walked in. To me it feels like the dumb parts of resident evil wearing dead spaces skin.

One thing which struck me was the bit near the end, where you have the final Two-Head fight in a circular operating theatre type room which looks like it should be the same one you went through at the start of the game when you are hiding from the robot, since you have been retracing your steps from your cell... except that it clearly can't be because multiple places where there should be doors have been replaced with giant blendo-fans so you have somewhere to throw enemies.

And I don't know if the devs intended it to be the same room, or if it is supposed to be a different but identically laid out one, but either way it seemed like a missed opportunity to have the player clearly revisit somewhere and get more of a sense of the prison existing as a real physical space instead of just a big winding corridor.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The_White_Crane posted:

One thing which struck me was the bit near the end, where you have the final Two-Head fight in a circular operating theatre type room which looks like it should be the same one you went through at the start of the game when you are hiding from the robot, since you have been retracing your steps from your cell... except that it clearly can't be because multiple places where there should be doors have been replaced with giant blendo-fans so you have somewhere to throw enemies.

And I don't know if the devs intended it to be the same room, or if it is supposed to be a different but identically laid out one, but either way it seemed like a missed opportunity to have the player clearly revisit somewhere and get more of a sense of the prison existing as a real physical space instead of just a big winding corridor.

i feel like its gonna turn out that the game was in dev hell to an extent because of covid and etc and the second dead space remake showed up, the publisher panicked and slammed what they had together and released it.

i think one of the big issues i have is it has the arkham camera for calm moments but never pulls the camera back so you get a better idea of surroundings like most brawler type games but it just kind locks the camera right behind the sholder and stays there.

other probably i have is how loving liniar it is. Like i love linear games and i honestly think a lot of games try open world/"open world" when its not needed. but this is just one long hallway like final fantasy 13. the best liniar games are like the Shock games and dead space 1 and 2 or the batman games or tomb raider or alot of metroidvanias. They are linier but their worlds feel lived in and they are open enough to allow exploration and discovery while also keeping poo poo cinematic. this is just one long coridor with a bunch of bodies dragged around and monster closets that do the same thing over and over and over.

also worst audio logs in game in a while, holy poo poo. also the story is too, idk resident evilly, the monster look like something out of a resident evil game but if the resident evil team got super lazy. like resident evil stories are fun as gently caress, but those games have a ceirten tone, that this game lacks.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 10, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i think the unique vibe of the necromorphs came down to them looking manipulated. your stock-standard william birkin deal in RE is a human with a whole bunch of cancerous growths sprouting out of him, which usually results in a whole lot of extra claws and teeth, but necromorphs look like humans that have been bent and contorted into a form that best suits their new purpose - they all look very deliberately twisted, which is a large part of the horror. i don't think one is necessarily better than the other, but TCP having generic looking monsters to pair with their paint-by-numbers story leaves you with the same impression as, like, watching a netflix original film from a director and company with a barren IMDB who're clearly just trying to show that they know how to make a movie

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Buying Post Trauma because the mc is a fat old dude.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Post Trauma ad copy posted:

True horror lives in our minds.
Oh drat

Anyway I really like Signalis, it throws together two things I love: sci fi horror and oblique Robert W. Chambers riffs. I could take or leave the survival horror aspect (it is, in its gameplay, pretty modest even for a title that deliberately recalls OG Resident Evil), but the fact that they clearly designed the game to spite anime foot freaks is really bold and admirable, tbqh. Cool game

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

You can't get rewards from attacking the corpses like if you impaled them on spikes but it still beats trying to fight three enemies at once.

Yes you can. Hit them with your baton and they'll drop poo poo

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

CuddleCryptid posted:

$20 for a indie horror game isn't too bad, even if it is a little janky. I just can't play it around my wife who hates Thomas the Tank Engine in the way that some people would hate a debilitating disease.

Thomas is whatever and Theodore Tugboat is cute. The true horror is Jay Jay the Jet Plane, Jesus CHRIST. :ohdear:

I was more terrified of that poo poo than anything else as a kid, my mom still teases me about it to this day.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Bullet Train taught me that Diesel was the one you had to look out for

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

poo poo quote isn't edit

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

Thomas is whatever and Theodore Tugboat is cute. The true horror is Jay Jay the Jet Plane, Jesus CHRIST. :ohdear:

I was more terrified of that poo poo than anything else as a kid, my mom still teases me about it to this day.

Jay Jay is scary but Chuggington is worse imo

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

FirstAidKite posted:

Jay Jay is scary but Chuggington is worse imo

Sorry, but Jay Jay is objectively worse due to taking place in a world where the sentient vehicles somehow all have fleshfaces

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hmmm yeah on second thought yea you're right. The unpleasantness of chuggington is more from the effort put in compared to jay jay just all around looking horrid and cheap.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

Oh drat

Anyway I really like Signalis, it throws together two things I love: sci fi horror and oblique Robert W. Chambers riffs. I could take or leave the survival horror aspect (it is, in its gameplay, pretty modest even for a title that deliberately recalls OG Resident Evil), but the fact that they clearly designed the game to spite anime foot freaks is really bold and admirable, tbqh. Cool game

everyone having spike legs is a wonderful bit of design sleight of hand, because it looks aesthetically distinct, gives the corrupted units more of a monster vibe, and probably saved their animator the incredible headache of trying to make the twinstick movement not look awkward as hell with elster's feet tapdancing around

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sorry, but Jay Jay is objectively worse due to taking place in a world where the sentient vehicles somehow all have fleshfaces

Exactly! Sorry to quote myself (spelling the demon's name wrong :doh:) , but

Read After Burning posted:

I remember being scared of a lot of pretty standard stuff, but my "wtf lol" was any time commercials for JJ the Jet Plane came on, I would apparently shriek and run into the kitchen to hide under the table. Now, I LOVED Theodore Tugboat and was meh on Thomas the Tank Engine, so why was JJ and friends so bad?

I think it's because, while the vehicles in the train and boat shows had faces the color of...well, whatever vehicle they were, the planes in JJ the Jet Plane all had hosed up fleshy faces, so there would be, like, a green airplane with a pink human face protruding from it. :stare:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Watching Malignant and I swear this is the most sincerely over the top horror film. Getting serious The Evil Within vibes.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

al-azad posted:

Watching Malignant and I swear this is the most sincerely over the top horror film. Getting serious The Evil Within vibes.

It's one of my favorite horror movies this year, just absolutely bonkers. The chair throw in the police station made me laugh

al-azad
May 28, 2009

That was the wildest plot twist I’ve seen. Also Malignant says ACAB.

E: drat audiences did not like this lol. Horror movies have been poisoned by all the creepy doll and paranormal activity poo poo.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 11, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The irony is that Malignant is by James Wan, the dude who rejuvenated the creep doll (Annabelle) and paranormal activity (The Conjuring, Insidious) genres.

It's one of the best films ever.

Also, Callisto Protocol was a massive disappointment, game sucks and I would only recommend it at $15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There's a growing divide, I think, between filmmakers who want to make a hosed up scary movie, and those who want to make a horror movie, if that makes sense. It Follows, Midsommar, Get Out are all hosed up scary movies. Paranormal Activity, The Boy, Rings, and Annabelle are horror movies.