Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

There will be a press conference revealing all the details the Boy in the Box Thursday morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Re: Rosemary Kennedy

christmas boots posted:

She allegedly did have some developmental issues (according to her school, she was reading and writing at a 4th-grade level when she was 15), possibly due to some complications from her birth. Still, IIRC there's been some skepticism, and nothing justifies the lobotomy.

Worse than that, she may have just been average, which for a politically ambitious family on the make was just as bad.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

christmas boots posted:

She allegedly did have some developmental issues (according to her school, she was reading and writing at a 4th-grade level when she was 15), possibly due to some complications from her birth. Still, IIRC there's been some skepticism, and nothing justifies the lobotomy.

Fighting Trousers posted:

Worse than that, she may have just been average, which for a politically ambitious family on the make was just as bad.

These points make me wonder how the hell they thought a lobotomy would have helped.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

These points make me wonder how the hell they thought a lobotomy would have helped.

Cut away enough brain and the person becomes calm and placid and never makes trouble. They can be tucked away somewhere and forgotten.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

originally when it was being used for people with severe illness, I'm sure from the outside someone staring out a window peacefully looks like a big upgrade from untreated psychosis.

wasn't there an american doctor who really expanded its use though to other "minor" issues? Or am I misremembering?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
my great aunt had her brain futzed with one too many times in the 40s-50s in college, and did not end well! Wildly enough she died like a few weeks ago, outliving all of her siblings, I think.

The only memory I have of said great aunt is her chasing my then 5 year old sister around at my grandmothers wake.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FishBulbia posted:

wasn't there an american doctor who really expanded its use though to other "minor" issues? Or am I misremembering?
it's so much worse than you think (link to Goon Robert Evans podcast Behind the Bastards)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Those kind of early to mid 20th century doctors are about the worst mix of old-timey doctors being an expensive way to die slightly slower, friggin wild west mad scientist era eagerness to test their new procedures on anyone offered to them, private practitioners willing to do anything if they're paid enough, and awfully modern 'You should try this fancy new drug that everyone's talking about!"

Also given gender roles back then combined with medical ideas they probably thought literal brain damage would create an ideal Stepford Wife.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Shrecknet posted:

it's so much worse than you think (link to Goon Robert Evans podcast Behind the Bastards)

holy loving poo poo, the journalist describing the conference where he would lobotomize people before an audience actually made me nauseated and I'm usually fine with medical history and gore. this could be a horror movie.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

FishBulbia posted:

originally when it was being used for people with severe illness, I'm sure from the outside someone staring out a window peacefully looks like a big upgrade from untreated psychosis.

Yeah, turns out humans are a lot less active after you erase their ability to be a person anymore. The procedure first gained traction because it made the jobs of the mental health professionals easier, the patient's wellbeing was not a concern.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Acute Grill posted:

Yeah, turns out humans are a lot less active after you erase their ability to be a person anymore. The procedure first gained traction because it made the jobs of the mental health professionals easier, the patient's wellbeing was not a concern.

I also always forget that this was happening basically until Thorazine, and not in the 1890s.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As my psychology professor put it, they used to prescribe lobotomy for breathing too hard.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

There will be a press conference revealing all the details the Boy in the Box Thursday morning.

Joseph Augustus Zarelli.

https://6abc.com/boy-in-the-box-identified-philadelphia-cold-case-watch-news-conference-live-name/12544392/

Parents are both dead, but he's lot living siblings. And there's no statute of limitations on murder in PA. This part of the article bugs the poo poo out of me, though, gotta get the obligatory psychic woo in there:

quote:

Kym Durham is a psychic medium in South Jersey. She has assisted law enforcement in missing persons and homicide cases. Her gift, as she describes it, was passed down from her mother, internationally renowned psychic medium Joan Friel Durham....Independent of each other, both Bill Kelly and Joan Durham gave a name to the victim. Kelly called him Jonathan; Durham called him Johnny.

Imagine that. Two entirely different people guessed that this kid had one of the most common names in the US.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

He's not even loving called Johnny. Poor little mite.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can understand not wanting to disturb the living family members, who are probably nieces/nephews or great nieces/nephews who don’t know anything, but I’d like to know who the parents were and whether anyone at the time knew they had a kid who disappeared.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

I AM GRANDO posted:

I can understand not wanting to disturb the living family members, who are probably nieces/nephews or great nieces/nephews who don’t know anything, but I’d like to know who the parents were and whether anyone at the time knew they had a kid who disappeared.

I can also understand keeping a very close watch on the living family members. Situations where a complete stranger abducts a kid and murders him are very rare.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

There's bits coming out of Philadelphia Inquirer updates.

Justin Thomas was one of the genealogy links used to identify Zarelli. He'd taken a DNA test for the heck of it.

Philadelphia Inquirer posted:

Thomas said his family believes that the boy is likely a first cousin to his mom. The last name of his mom’s uncle is “Zarelli.” His grandmother’s brother is a Zarelli. The Zarelli family lived in West Philadelphia before moving to Delaware County, he said.

I have a feeling we'll get something from a relative, regardless of whether or not they knew of him. A lot of people can't resist a camera and my basic searches into some archives have shown there are more than a handful of Zarellis who have lived in Philadelphia.

As for other people knowing at the time, I'm reminded of two episodes off the old Cold Case Files about kids who were alive when their siblings were murdered, but too young to have more than vague memory.

- In one, workers found a child's body in a flower bed decades after her death. After figuring the likely family, they tracked down her brother. He barely remembered hearing her cry and so did a neighbor or two. Police got the mom to confess but she was on her deathbed, so nothing happened.

- In the other, a young man got a question from a relative he hadn't seen since he was a toddler: How's your sister doing? What sister? was his initial reaction. Soon he began to remember a bit about having a twin sister. They eventually found her body, shoved into a suitcase mom kept hidden in their house and had moved with her a few times.

IIRC in both cases, they tracked down school records to compare with birth records and found neither child had ever been enrolled.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

If cave diving isn't hardcore enough for you, how abut diving inside an iceberg?

https://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2019/09/20/jill-heinerth-cave-diving-antarctica

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Fa la la la la

Fu-uuuck that.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

If cave diving isn't hardcore enough for you, how abut diving inside an iceberg?

https://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2019/09/20/jill-heinerth-cave-diving-antarctica

“One dude could’ve died due to being a dumbass and letting his suit fill with ice-cold water to film some b-roll. After that, we could’ve died due to ice blocking the entrance, but we were so grateful to make it out alive and very aware of how close we came to the end. Then we could’ve died due to the current, and we were so grateful to make it out alive and very aware of how close we came to the end. Then we could’ve died due to the current again, and we were so grateful to make it out alive and very aware of how close we came to the end.

Then we wanted to go back in but watched as the iceberg collapsed in upon itself. If we had been in there, we would’ve died, so we were so grateful to make it out alive and very aware of how close we came to the end.”

Part of me gets very irked at people who live with so little actual strife or worry in their lives that they need to spend a few hundred thousand dollars to get a bit of mortal peril.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
I assumed Roblox was like a kid-safe Second Life, but now I know it’s more like child labor, Baby’s First Stock Market Crash, and six-figure phishing scams.

Inside Roblox’s Criminal Underworld, Where Kids Are Scamming Kids

https://twitter.com/quinns108/status/1470387762784317440?s=46&t=MRjgvXvw7t3gydv5NT_Fww

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Busket Posket posted:

Part of me gets very irked at people who live with so little actual strife or worry in their lives that they need to spend a few hundred thousand dollars to get a bit of mortal peril.

I always wonder what they were thinking. "It's all guesswork 130 feet under the Antarctic water getting swept into a glacier. How did we not anticipate any of this, OMG we almost died every time we went back there"

I'm all for exploration and adventure, but think it through, people

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

a mysterious cloak posted:

I always wonder what they were thinking. "It's all guesswork 130 feet under the Antarctic water getting swept into a glacier. How did we not anticipate any of this, OMG we almost died every time we went back there"

I'm all for exploration and adventure, but think it through, people

Yes well now we know what it looks like inside an iceberg.

Icy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/satanic-kidnap-fake-claim-971587

This is probably old news to most of y'all but I just learned of it and it's cringe as all hell.

Young evangelical man stages elaborate fake satanic kidnapping on girlfriend because she wants to save it for marriage and he is very, very horny.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
That’s some kind of special horny. I found another article about it that includes some postscript to the story, sort of more focussed on Australia’s immigration system.
He was deported to Germany after his sentence. Buchwald was born in Germany when his parents returned for an extended visit after immigrating to Australia and he had lived in Australia on a permanent resident visa from when he was one year old.

Fair warning the author, John Silvester, writes like an old guy telling a roundabout yarn over a beer or three. It reads pretty much like one of his podcast episodes, there’s a lot of colour

Nailed, bailed, jailed then derailed. The bush plot that cost a man his country

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/satanic-kidnap-fake-claim-971587

This is probably old news to most of y'all but I just learned of it and it's cringe as all hell.

Young evangelical man stages elaborate fake satanic kidnapping on girlfriend because she wants to save it for marriage and he is very, very horny.

I just want to point out that one of the charges he's facing is "kidnapping with intent to marry". It sounds kind of quaint if you separate it from what it actually is (kidnapping/trafficking and rape).

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

BrianRx posted:

I just want to point out that one of the charges he's facing is "kidnapping with intent to marry". It sounds kind of quaint if you separate it from what it actually is (kidnapping/trafficking and rape).
Well anything sounds bad when you point out the rape part.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
honestly, as someone who has experienced sexual assault, a coerced marriage would have added insult to injury

like, putting a legal entanglement on top of trauma is fuuuuuuucked up

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Acute Grill posted:

Frontal lobotomies were a very effective and reliable method to reduce patient complaints of chronic pain.

One of the papers that was involved in adopting them for chronic pain has some pretty hilarious problems, like going over an alternative treatment and saying 'we don't have any long term followup on this procedure'.

I did the literature search, the doctor they complained about had already done a ten year followup on the treatment and specifically said 'you assholes wanted long term followups so here it is, patient is still cured of her pain'.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

complaint: splinter in finger
resolution: patient euthanized

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SLOSifl posted:

complaint: splinter in finger
resolution: patient euthanized

:hmmyes: frogs with no legs are deaf

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Longform article about the junk forensic science of “911 call analysis” which is a really good read. It’s really concerning because it’s been refuted by everyone else who’s tried to research the same thing, the author refuses to share his data with anyone else, and it’s being used to prosecute people.

There’s so many alarms that should be going off about this; the creator of 911 call analysis essentially posits everyone reacts the same way when calling 911 about a crime and if the caller says enough things wrong - according to a handy checklist - then they committed the crime. It doesn’t account for any biases based on people backgrounds, cultures, or anything at all. There is a definitive right way to make a 911 call, otherwise you’re guilty.

The article finds the 911 call analysis training has been built on a feedback loop of cops taking the course, providing praise for the training, praise repackaged in marketing to more cops, who take the course, ad infinitum. Absolutely nobody will take responsibility for introducing this into the justice system, it’s all either “we just rubber stamp” or “that’s someone else’s responsibility”.

They Called 911 for Help. Police and Prosecutors Used a New Junk Science to Decide They Were Liars

Propublica article posted:

Tracy Harpster, a deputy police chief from suburban Dayton, Ohio, was hunting for praise. He had a business to promote: a miracle method to determine when 911 callers are actually guilty of the crimes they are reporting. “I know what a guilty father, mother or boyfriend sounds like,” he once said.

Harpster tells police and prosecutors around the country that they can do the same. Such linguistic detection is possible, he claims, if you know how to analyze callers’ speech patterns — their tone of voice, their pauses, their word choice, even their grammar. Stripped of its context, a misplaced word as innocuous as “hi” or “please” or “somebody” can reveal a murderer on the phone.

So far, researchers who have tried to corroborate Harpster’s claims have failed. The experts most familiar with his work warn that it shouldn’t be used to lock people up.

Prosecutors know it’s junk science too. But that hasn’t stopped some from promoting his methods and even deploying 911 call analysis in court to win convictions.

In 2016, Missouri prosecutor Leah Askey wrote Harpster an effusive email, bluntly detailing how she skirted legal rules to exploit his methods against unwitting defendants.

“Of course this line of research is not ‘recognized’ as a science in our state,” Askey wrote, explaining that she had sidestepped hearings that would have been required to assess the method’s legitimacy. She said she disguised 911 call analysis in court by “getting creative … without calling it ‘science.’”

“I was confident that if a jury could hear this information and this research,” she added, “they would be as convinced as I was of the defendant's guilt.”

What Askey didn’t say in her endorsement was this: She had once tried using Harpster’s methods against Russ Faria, a man wrongfully convicted of killing his wife. At trial, Askey played a recording of Faria’s frantic 911 call for the jury and put a dispatch supervisor on the stand to testify that it sounded staged. Lawyers objected but the judge let the testimony in. Faria was convicted and sentenced to life in prison.

After he successfully appealed, Askey prosecuted him again — and again called the supervisor to testify about all the reasons she thought Faria was guilty based on his word choice and demeanor during the 911 call. It was Harpster’s “analytical class,” the supervisor said, that taught her “to evaluate a call to see what the outcome would be.”

This judge wouldn’t allow her to continue and cut the testimony short. Faria was acquitted. He’d spent three and a half years in prison for a murder he didn’t commit.

None of this bothered Harpster, who needed fresh kudos to repackage as marketing material and for a chapter in an upcoming book. “We don’t have to say it was overturned,” he told Askey when soliciting the endorsement. “Hook me up. … Make it sing!”

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

DRINK ME posted:

Longform article about the junk forensic science of “911 call analysis” which is a really good read. It’s really concerning because it’s been refuted by everyone else who’s tried to research the same thing, the author refuses to share his data with anyone else, and it’s being used to prosecute people.

There’s so many alarms that should be going off about this; the creator of 911 call analysis essentially posits everyone reacts the same way when calling 911 about a crime and if the caller says enough things wrong - according to a handy checklist - then they committed the crime. It doesn’t account for any biases based on people backgrounds, cultures, or anything at all. There is a definitive right way to make a 911 call, otherwise you’re guilty.

The article finds the 911 call analysis training has been built on a feedback loop of cops taking the course, providing praise for the training, praise repackaged in marketing to more cops, who take the course, ad infinitum. Absolutely nobody will take responsibility for introducing this into the justice system, it’s all either “we just rubber stamp” or “that’s someone else’s responsibility”.

They Called 911 for Help. Police and Prosecutors Used a New Junk Science to Decide They Were Liars

I hate this so goddamn much. It’s the linguistics version of phrenology or ouija boards, and is/will be used as yet another tool to convict people who have any linguistic deviation from those setting these “standards” of guilt vs. innocence.

“That person isn’t a native English speaker, and in frantically communicating with 911 during a horrifically traumatic event, they said ‘blood’ instead of ‘bleeding’! Get the rope!”

“The caller was polite to the dispatcher?!? Tie rocks to her feet and grab a duck; we’re going to the lake!”

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Busket Posket posted:

I hate this so goddamn much. It’s the linguistics version of phrenology or ouija boards, and is/will be used as yet another tool to convict people who have any linguistic deviation from those setting these “standards” of guilt vs. innocence.

Yeah, it's working as intended and designed.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
It just shows how unbelievably loving stupid and thoughtless the US policing-justice complex is. The Hobbesian state is given a monopoly of violence, and so its agents are able to ruin your day, or year, or life. And the agents instead of respecting this power, revel in it and treat is as their plaything, using nonsensical training and metrics to justify their laziness and cruelty.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It's very well thought out because a huge portion of the country thinks they aren't only doing great, they're outright heroes! It's the incredible power of a PR and media spin machine that makes it so our brand of arbitrary and monstrous justice is celebrated while being barely any better than the poo poo you'd find in any despised dictatorship. That's by design, and a lot of effort is spent doing their damnedest to keep it that way even while SWAT teams flashbang babies in cribs while raiding the wrong house for non-violent drug offenders, or we execute innocent people who were convicted on the loosest evidence 40+ years ago. It's heinous.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I'm on vacation

:murder:

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Happy New Year, Morbid Curiosity Goons :toot:

Post-Roe America has returned to 1935, where well-to-do women had their private doctors prescribe them some ulcer pills and bedrest while everyone else either had their 11th kid or mutilated/poisoned themselves trying to end a pregnancy.

Except now, doctors will also avoid treating a pregnant person who wants to keep the baby, because if a spontaneous miscarriage occurs under their watch, they’re hosed.

Bleeding and in pain, she couldn't get 2 Louisiana ERs to answer: Is it a miscarriage?

When Kaitlyn Joshua found out she was pregnant in mid-August, she and her husband, Landon Joshua, were excited to have a second baby on the way. They have a 4-year-old daughter, and thought that was just the right age to help out with a younger sibling.

At about six weeks pregnant, Joshua, 30, called a physicians' group in Baton Rouge. She wanted to make her first prenatal appointment there for around the eight-week mark, as she had in her first pregnancy. But Joshua says the woman on the line told her she was going to have to wait over a month.

"They specifically said, 'We now no longer see women until they're at least 12 weeks,'" Joshua recalls. "And I said, 'Oh Lord. Is this because of what I think? And they said, 'Yes.'”

Joshua remembers her saying that many women miscarry in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, and they didn't want to be liable for an investigation.”

And with doctors shying away from providing care, “crisis pregnancy centers” are flourishing again:

How a Florida anti-abortion center claimed to be a medical clinic

In the most serious accusation against her, Henderson told yet another woman that “the baby was stuck” in her fallopian tube, a potentially catastrophic complication known as an ectopic pregnancy. If not treated immediately, the condition can lead to massive hemorrhaging and, sometimes, the mother’s death.

But Henderson allegedly advised the woman to “relax at the beach” and come back in a few days.

Henderson, then in her early 70s, wasn’t a “cancer doctor,” as she allegedly informed one client, or indeed any type of licensed medical professional. Her only medical experience was as a radiation therapy technologist, and her license had expired 10 years earlier.

Nor was there a doctor on hand to review the ultrasound images Henderson took, as is considered best practice by mainstream medical organizations and the pregnancy center industry itself.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

What a loving nightmare. Thanks for sharing, that was a good if disheartening read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Holy poo poo this case:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/03/eleanor-williams-lied-grooming-gang-guilty-perverting-justice

The highlight has to be beating herself in the face with a claw hammer.