Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Cawthorn, that's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

He recently went on a long rant about restoring American masculinity in what I dearly hope was the last official thing he says in Congress. Dude sure has a massive hangup on that front, among the many other character flaws and insecurities that make up his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

He recently went on a long rant about restoring American masculinity in what I dearly hope was the last official thing he says in Congress. Dude sure has a massive hangup on that front, among the many other character flaws and insecurities that make up his life.

that seems to be a thing with chuds now. it was always sorta there but its really stupidly sad and obvious now.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Panfilo posted:

Also chuds are pissy because the US government did a prisoner exchange to get that basketball player who Hates America freed in exchange for some notorious arms dealer so have fun hearing those talking points through February probably.

shits going to be gone by next week

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that seems to be a thing with chuds now. it was always sorta there but its really stupidly sad and obvious now.

Agreed, a whole lotta suburban assholes with superduty trucks that'll never haul anything, and expensive ARs that only leave the safe if they see a non-white delivery driver. Him and Tucker (see also that hilarious testicle tanning thing he promoted) are probably the worst, but they all seem to have latched onto it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Jaxyon posted:

shits going to be gone by next week

Maybe. But they love a good traitor to rail against, and a black woman who is critical of the US is an easy target.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Agreed, a whole lotta suburban assholes with superduty trucks that'll never haul anything, and expensive ARs that only leave the safe if they see a non-white delivery driver. Him and Tucker (see also that hilarious testicle tanning thing he promoted) are probably the worst, but they all seem to have latched onto it.

This reminds me of an irritating thing chuds do. They are very quick with online attaboys to allies. At first I thought they were just huge suck ups but I think it's like a digital bumper sticker - it gives them an opportunity to announce to the world where their loyalties lie. I can't tell you how many threads on Facebook and Twitter end up looking like this:

"I find it rather weak of you to pick on minorities"
"The only thing weak is your jawline! Ha ha!
" Yeah! "
" That showed him"
"LOL I am stealing this to use on my soyboy brother in law during Thanksgiving."
"Strong chins create good times. Good times create weak chins. Weak chins create hard times."
"I'm glad my wife loves my strong, manly jawline! Not an ounce of soy in here!"
"BOOM mic drop!"
"Kenny is this your email it's your pep pep we're doing Ginnys birthday at Golden Corral next Sunday."
"Not gonna see any soy boys in Golden Corral HAW HAW HAW"
(15 assorted Sam Elliot memes to follow)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Panfilo posted:

Also chuds are pissy because the US government did a prisoner exchange to get that basketball player who Hates America freed in exchange for some notorious arms dealer so have fun hearing those talking points through February probably.
Feels like the Bergdahl case all over again

The right wing whined for like a year that Obama needed to free him, they did the swap, and they yelled at Obama for doing it because he gave up too much or some poo poo

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Its pronounced "super doody"

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
The prisoner exchange feels quite sour but god gently caress nobody deserves to be starved and raped in Russian prison for weed. Even if she really should have known that bringing weed could have gotten her killed over there.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

emSparkly posted:

The prisoner exchange feels quite sour but god gently caress nobody deserves to be starved and raped in Russian prison for weed. Even if she really should have known that bringing weed could have gotten her killed over there.

I am not entirely convinced she even had weed, the timing is too convenient for Russia and the sentence they gave her + the law they prosecuted her under are unusual.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Lol, Russia’s World Cup hosting allowed cocaine and weed at the 2018 World Cup. They give a poo poo just like the US does, it helps more people be criminals when convenient.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

I am not entirely convinced she even had weed, the timing is too convenient for Russia and the sentence they gave her + the law they prosecuted her under are unusual.
It was perfect timing for them, because she just happened to be about to leave the country right as the invasion started and they had a perfect opportunity to grab someone useful to them later. Although I don't think it was worth it for the Lord of War guy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was perfect timing for them, because she just happened to be about to leave the country right as the invasion started and they had a perfect opportunity to grab someone useful to them later. Although I don't think it was worth it for the Lord of War guy.

Eh, he's already served most of his sentence and from what I understand most of his network has been rolled up or scattered. I suspect he's basically harmless at this point.

Quote this in five years if he does manage to slide right back into things, though.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Making voting a paid holiday means retail gets time and a half when they're forced to work all day anyways.
Which, I guess, helps their material needs and ends up more productive than voting so who knows.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't know why people are arguing against a VOTE ONE DAY, NATIONAL HOLIDAY in this thread.

Not because I disagree with them and I too also think it's dumb, but because no one is arguing FOR that, except Hannity as far as I know. Nobody I've read has posted anything like "let's do that instead". Anyone suggesting we try it has been talking about in terms of adding it to the voting options we already have, not replacing the ones we have.

And nobody else here, including myself, has "handed anything to Sean Hannity" as one poster seemed to infer.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BiggerBoat posted:

except Hannity as far as I know.

And he's the thread topic so I don't know what you expected

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't know why people are arguing against a VOTE ONE DAY, NATIONAL HOLIDAY in this thread.

You must be new here. Some goons hate everything. Every idea is bad, and can only lead to bad things.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Panfilo posted:

Idahoan pretending to miss it

he knows he's full of poo poo and just trying to rile you up
nobody who manages to escape idaho wants to go back though sometimes they'll pretend otherwise to own the libs
the reason people move there is it's effectively a third world country when it comes to prices so if you've given up on society you can have a house with land to go to seed in

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Long haul truckers make good money. They are hardly on the 'bottom rung' of society. Airplane pilots.... used to? make a bunch of money. People on call for all sorts of unfortunate 'must be done right now and it's probably going to take all day to do it and you sure as hell aren't going to be interested in standing around for any amount of time after you do it' are hardly on the bottom rung of society.

They will, however, be absolutely hosed if they must be in a specific place at a specific time on a specific day.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Washington Post is now whitewashing Alberto Fujimori's coup and the death squads during his reign in Peru.

quote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/12/08/peru-president-pedro-castillo-coup-democracy/

Peru’s democracy proves resilient against a president’s coup
By the Editorial Board
December 8, 2022 at 2:11 p.m. EST

Inexperienced, possessed of a mishmash of ultraleft ideology and surrounded by a group of corrupt advisers, former rural schoolteacher Pedro Castillo was never a good fit for the office he won 17 months ago: president of Peru...

There will be no repeat of the “self-coup” in Lima 30 years ago, in which the then-president, Alberto Fujimori, dismissed Congress and seized dictatorial powers with military support. Given that history, Wednesday’s events are encouraging as a measure of Peru’s progress. Mr. Fujimori’s coup enjoyed considerable support at the time from a public made desperate by a wave of Maoist terrorism and rampant inflation. “Fujimorism” is still, to be sure, a strong current in Peruvian politics. The ex-president’s daughter was Mr. Castillo’s opponent in the 2021 runoff, and her party leads the congressional opposition. Nevertheless, for all its lingering social and economic inequality, Peru is a far more prosperous and stable country than it was in 1992, and its people seemed to understand they have a lot to lose from an authoritarian debacle.

Note the framing and phrasing of the article:
- "Fujimori's coup enjoyed considerable support"
- "Peru is a far more prosperous and stable country than it was in 1992" immediately following the narration of Alberto Fujimori's coup and reign, with the implied conclusion that Peru's prosperity and stability was because of Fujimori's coup and reign.
- Complete omission of and silence on Fujimori's death squads, kidnappings and murders during his reign

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

BiggerBoat posted:

Not because I disagree with them and I too also think it's dumb, but because no one is arguing FOR that, except Hannity as far as I know. Nobody I've read has posted anything like "let's do that instead". Anyone suggesting we try it has been talking about in terms of adding it to the voting options we already have, not replacing the ones we have.

And nobody else here, including myself, has "handed anything to Sean Hannity" as one poster seemed to infer.

Make it a two-day national holiday, all employees must have at least ONE day off with full 8 hours of pay given to them, employee picks out which date so if they work multiple jobs they can schedule what works for them. No exceptions for being short staffed employee gets the drat day off period so they can vote if they so choose or take a day long nap if they don't or whatever else the gently caress they want to do that day they feel is more important to them than voting.

Oh and we keep early voting as well, and vote by mail, and everything else,

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Boy the RWM bots sure are upset about this ex-Marine no one had ever heard of before Brittney Griner got released.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PT6A posted:

Boy the RWM bots sure are upset about this ex-Marine no one had ever heard of before Brittney Griner got released.

This guy was arrested a while ago. They all thought trump would do something about it too

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Does anyone remember a really really wful op-ed about how Scrooge was actually the hero of A Christmas Carol? Or at the very least that Bob Cratchit was a whiny crybaby? I distinctly remember the phrase "the frankly mediocre Bob Cratchit".

Am trying to compile all the ghoulish takes on A Christmas Carol I can.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Calico Heart posted:

Does anyone remember a really really wful op-ed about how Scrooge was actually the hero of A Christmas Carol? Or at the very least that Bob Cratchit was a whiny crybaby? I distinctly remember the phrase "the frankly mediocre Bob Cratchit".

I think that’s something that got published last year but I don’t remember where

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Calico Heart posted:

Scrooge is a hero after the ghosts beat it into him on pain of his immortal soul and he completes his redemption arc.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

If a Christmas carol were released today theyd say Scrooge went "woke" at the end

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Instead of a gravestone it'd be his death trending on Twitter and the replies

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Scholtz posted:

Instead of a gravestone it'd be his death trending on Twitter and the replies

No this would be instead of the scene with Fred where they play a guessing game and he's the answer.

He'd see something is trending and all the comments like "lol dead old bitch" and then see the hashrag is #RIPscrooge

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Republican shitbags going "well, akshully, Scrooge is the hero" goes back at least forty years:

From "The Clothes Have No Emperor: A Chronicle of the American Eighties" by Paul Slansky

quote:

12/15/83
[Reagan Attorney General] Ed Meese tells the National Press Club that literature's classic miser, Ebenezer Scrooge, to whom he has recently been compared, suffered from a "bad press in his time. If you really look at the facts, he didn't exploit Bob Cratchit." Explains Meese, "Bob Cratchit was paid ten shillings a week, which was a very good wage at that time ... Bob, in fact, had good cause to be happy with his situation. He lived in a house, not a tenement. His wife didn't have to work ... He was able to afford the traditional Christmas dinner of roast goose and plum pudding ... So let's be fair to Scrooge. He had his faults, but he wasn't unfair to anyone."

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/DanaSchwartzzz/status/1207552390418681858?s=20&t=DlUqlRzagcGVQsm3169g3g

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think this is increasingly true

https://twitter.com/_fleerultra/status/1601257617644716033?s=46&t=EuiygoBESXBUdLSDXPnjDw

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Yes, this has been something on my mind for years. A conservative celebrates if a Maoist gets banned from Twitter or fired, so free speech can’t really be what they care about.

This is true of most people, but especially conservatives, professed principles are really weapons to win at whatever you are fighting in your mind. If a principle is convenient for your fight, you pick it up and polish it off and act like it is the most important thing in the world. If a principle is inconvenient you just put it away and stop talking about it.

Once conservatives have gained the cultural upper hand again they will flip the script and start talking about how we have to ban speech like back in post 9-11 era.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://thefederalist.com/2022/10/20/we-need-to-stop-calling-ourselves-conservatives/

quote:

The left will only stop when conservatives stop them, which means conservatives will have to discard outdated and irrelevant notions about “small government.” The government will have to become, in the hands of conservatives, an instrument of renewal in American life — and in some cases, a blunt instrument indeed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A blunt instrument, like, some kind of... bundle of sticks. A fascis, if you prefer the original Latin.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They have made it clear since Trump was elected that they want one set of rules for ‘conservatives’ and one set of rules for everyone else

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It's just the old "a group the law protects but not binds, and a group the law binds but does not protect"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

They were never conservatives; just fascists who wept and wailed about "muh taxes!"

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
The WaPo editorial board is garbage. The other day they ran a piece saying it was actually good that there's 8 billion people now, in effect because, you see, that means there's more people to figure out how to solve the problems created by there being 8 billion people now.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Apparently New Zealand is some kind of Police State now :psyduck:
https://twitter.com/TRHLofficial/status/1601318077429592064?t=VAbz42dauHvIclwkHwXb5A&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

don_glover_good.gif