Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer
Stumbling over this thread ignited the itch for JA2 again. I played it a lot over the last twenty years but my last attempt, also a result of stumbling over this thread, ended badly since it kept crashing the whole time.
I used to enjoy playing with some sort of combination of 1.13, aimnas, big maps, nhct (or whatever it was called) but I can't remember exactly what was compatible with what, and I guess new versions change that as well. Going to the bears pit to find info on what is what and find the relevant links is always a pain so I'm hoping you could help me. What is compatible with what nowadays and where can I find it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

MadlabsRobot posted:

Stumbling over this thread ignited the itch for JA2 again. I played it a lot over the last twenty years but my last attempt, also a result of stumbling over this thread, ended badly since it kept crashing the whole time.
I used to enjoy playing with some sort of combination of 1.13, aimnas, big maps, nhct (or whatever it was called) but I can't remember exactly what was compatible with what, and I guess new versions change that as well. Going to the bears pit to find info on what is what and find the relevant links is always a pain so I'm hoping you could help me. What is compatible with what nowadays and where can I find it?

Even the bears pit forums has trouble keeping track of that.
https://ja2-stracciatella.github.io/ is your best bet for a mostly vanilla Jagged Alliance 2 experience.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer

quantumfoam posted:

https://ja2-stracciatella.github.io/ is your best bet for a mostly vanilla Jagged Alliance 2 experience.
Android? WTF I can play this on my phone now? That's nuts.
I take it that this is not based on 1.13 so not as many options to set regarding AI behaviour etc but rather a much more vanilla version?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Yeah, Stracciatella is the "Original Experience, but working in modern systems" thing to go for. I want to say it handles widescreen resolutions, and it runs on a lot of platforms.

That being said, I don't know if I can go back to 1.12 at this point.

I've been playing Vengeance: Reloaded, and it's super good, but tough. I'm like 30 hours in, have four cities (well, I'm clawing through the fourth, I keep getting attacked there), and one day my preferred method of telling mercs where to go on the strategic map (click the sector, click the unit, click where to go) simply stopped working. I was just manually walking people through the tactical map and that was taking forever. Then I figured out you can click "Destination" on the merc list in the strategy screen and it will let you move mercs around the same way as clicking on the map itself would. I still have no idea why it doesn't work, but at least there's a workaround.

Also had a really fun sector where the militia stole all the dropped LAWs and fired them at random soldiers only for me to run into a tank. It was the last thing on the map, so I just very slowly took it apart with 40mm grenades, TNT placed under cover of smoke, and a few normal grenades when all that ran out. I was very lucky not to be flat out empty.

Tanks are very stupid, and I wish there was some sort of "climb on top since you're right behind it anyway and drop a grenade in the hatch" option.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I wish militia would steal dropped LAWs & rocketrifles and actually use them vs their love of throwing smoke grenades 23/7 in the DL! mod.

About ready to call my Deidranna Lives! playthrough complete.
I have mostly enjoyed it's oddness. There is roughly 250% more content and combat than exists in a vanilla JA2 playthrough if anyone was curious.

Elliot being a Highlander The Movie style immortal was a nice twist, instant-travel tunnels being EVERYWHERE, I killed the DL! giant aka the T-1000 cyborg in the Meduna palace throneroom extremely fast, the Crepitus made a surprise reappearance, the Hicks being the Gunrunners faction finally sank in to me, and Deidranna ghosting to a 2-sector wide secret fortress redoubt outside of Balime was fun then frustrating.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 13, 2022

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

I should note that while I have been enjoying Vengeance Reloaded, I modified the .ini a ton to make it livable. Militia trains in 3 hours, for example, oil rigs/mines work at 100% (unless they run out, I left that in), I can sell dropped items for ~20% their worth. You'd think this would make it a steamroll, but it really doesn't. Every time I take a city I have to take days building up militia (and this is with 20+ mercs) so I can move on, and I get attacked roughly seven times a loving day while I'm doing it. There are a lot of things in this that work well enough, but needed some tweaking to be more fair to the player. I get the sense that because these mods are all made for veterans, they're meant to be more "challenging" and that's fine to a point; there's a fine line between a challenge and a slog, though. Right now, I'm slowly making my way through a town that's just riddled with tanks, and I can't buy LAW's or other rockets *anywhere* so I have to wait for BR to get dynamite, C1 and C4 in stock, drive it down to the town, stick it on TNT, then smoke-sneak him to the rear end end of the tank and blow it up. One bridge had two tanks! It took so many explosives to take them down.

Like, I appreciate the challenge when it's clever, but at least sell me some mortars or something so I can do this in a reasonable time period and not have to constantly wait for explosives to be in stock so I can slowly ferry them to town.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Finished Deidranna Lives! the JA2 mod. I enjoyed it, got frustrated a lot at it, and then liked it again.
Think I'll try Urban Chaos (vanilla JA2 version) next, either on JA2 vanilla or Stracciatella if possible.
1.13 + urban chaos requires too much tweaking for me.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 14, 2022

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Seem to have a stable version of the JA2 mod Urban Chaos running now (applied the QuickFix2 patch & updated maps).
From the installer notes, about 90% of the people who created the Deidranna Lives! JA2 mod also created the JA2 Urban Chaos mod.

Had to run the JA2UC installer under Linux/Wine, JA2UC installer doesn't run on Windows 10/11.
JA2 Urban Chaos under Stracciatella (windows version) is glitchy and crashes to the desktop the second you try leaving the starting sector via west, east, south or the subway. Before applying the QuickFix2 patch & updated maps, Urban Chaos under Stracciatella immediately crashed out when starting Day1.
JA2 Urban Chaos under Linux crashed out at the main menu when starting a new Urban Chaos game until Wine staging 7.22 came out.

JA2 Urban Chaos Game notes:
-The dev-team replacing Buns with a not Lara Croft AIM mercenary is funny.
-The reworked AIM mercenary standings and histories is interesting, the dev-team definitely had their favorites. (Spider burnt out hard and is the cheapest AIM merc, Meltdown had kids, Grunty is a premium tier merc, etc).
-The background briefing of JA2 Urban Chaos and the plot details I've uncovered so far are more developed than I expected. Brenda from Jagged Alliance 1 going evil and creating a Enron/Halliburton corporation called Crepaton lndustries Amalgamated...nice.
-Terrorist details you get from Carmen are tweaked as being executives of Crepaton lndustries Amalgamated.
-Subway transit system in JA2UC seems to be a evolution of the instant travel tunnels from Deidranna Lives!
-No matter what, all AIM mercenaries you pick arrive unarmed. Within 60 seconds of arriving at A9 there will be 15-30 rounds of militia vs enemy combat. Once that is over, you will get access to a stash of gear and weapons (btw, Stracciatella doesn't generate the item needed to access the stash).

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 28, 2022

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I remember checking out Urban Chaos years ago. As I recall, the "my OC" merc they put in had a picture of Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft as her portrait, her 'real' name was Selina Kyle (as in Catwoman), what is her nickname again?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Jubilee is her nickname. Selina "Jubilee" Kyle, XP level 3 merc.
Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider portrait. Ambidextrous and teaching traits.

Jubilee's bio reads "Jubilee has fought her way onto the team and has won the respect of all the male mercs. Of course, her resemblance to a well known, bouncy, busty, luscious action hero had nothing to do with it. Absolutely nothing at all!"

Like I said before, JA2 Urban Chaos really tweaked mercs. Igor is a destitute taxi driver, Thor & Dr Q & Daniel are all top tier mercs with buffed stats, Fidel is an amateur wrestler, Raven became a housewife and gained autoweapons while losing nightops, Trevor has massive FAA lawsuits to pay off, Cliff has zero Explosives, Lynx & Buzz got over their breakup, Grizzly is a professional boxer, Sidney became a hollywood actor/stunt double, Shadow got the massive rear end in a top hat trait, Ice did a Steven Seagal and immigrated to Russia, La Malice + Spider + Blood + Hitman +Wolf all have reasons to be extremely underpaid, and finally Ivan immigrated to the US and works as a night-time security guard (+nightops) now.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

UC is one of my like top three full conversions (Renegade Republic is my fav despite the jank). It did make a lot of changes not only to the game but also to how you have to play. I mean the urban maps do that obviously but starting with only a single pistol and melee weapons for the rest of the team does present a different starting challenge. I also like that it's based on you coming into the country via a commercial plane. In the beginning you absolutely can not travel overland and engage with any of the army patrols. They'll just ventilate you. What you actually do is to get acquainted with the expansive subway system and the small gangs that are scripted to accost you at certain points. Those will drop a few pieces of gear and also will have some guns stashed in lockers and such. You gotta scavenge all you can and then work from there.

My pro-tip is to gear up via the subway station in Atremo (the bar in B9 has a good recruit with a gun btw but you gotta deal with some hostile gangsters on the map) and then try to clear and loot the city. After that you look to the east of Calisto (B16) for the gun runners. Going into Calisto itself should be done with care because the cops will probably attack you. They're supposed to be chill early on if you're not armed or in forbidden areas but I think that never really worked. Taking the subway to Calisto also has another scripted gang encounter. More chances for some loot but also to get wounded so weigh your options here. Ultimately you want to get to B16 in the best shape in terms of gear and health as you can. The gun runners are a neutral faction to start with but have a lot of gear in their compounds and also on their persons. You can find a certain amount of tear gas and stun grenades early on so keep those for a night assault on the gun runners. It's tough but perfectly doable. In the olden days they didn't drop anything and you had to stun & rob them mid fight because they were like milita or civies but no idea how it is today. Anyway their compound should still net you enough gear to get rolling even if you don't manage to rob them.

I think the alternative to attacking the gun runners is to take the subway to Port Kip and survive the gang encounter there so that you can find Tony in the city and buy gear through him.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 28, 2022

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Tin Tim posted:

UC is one of my like top three full conversions (Renegade Republic is my fav despite the jank). It did make a lot of changes not only to the game but also to how you have to play. I mean the urban maps do that obviously but starting with only a single pistol and melee weapons for the rest of the team does present a different starting challenge. I also like that it's based on you coming into the country via a commercial plane. In the beginning you absolutely can not travel overland and engage with any of the army patrols. They'll just ventilate you. What you actually do is to get acquainted with the expansive subway system and the small gangs that are scripted to accost you at certain points. Those will drop a few pieces of gear and also will have some guns stashed in lockers and such. You gotta scavenge all you can and then work from there.

My pro-tip is to gear up via the subway stations (the bar in B9 has a good recruit with a gun btw but you gotta deal with some hostile gangsters on the map) and then look to the east of Calisto (B16) for the gun runners. They are a neutral faction to start with but have a lot of gear in their compounds and also on their persons. You can find a certain amount of tear gas and stun grenades early on so keep those for a night assault on the gun runners. It's tough but perfectly doable. In the olden days they didn't drop anything and you had to stun & rob them mid fight because they were like milita or civies but no idea how it is today. Anyway their compound should still net you enough gear to get rolling even if you don't manage to rob them.

Yeah I definitely see Urban Chaos as an evolution of what Deidranna Lives! added to the base Jagged Alliance 2 experience.
The Urban Chaos mod patches I applied are all from December 2003, what you describe about early Gunrunner behavior in JA2 Urban Chaos pre-patch is the pure Gunrunner experience from the JA2 Deidranna Lives! mod.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Iirc some or all of the people behind DL actually moved on to making UC but I could be wrong. It really was a long ago by now :v:

Though I still remember how UC blew my mind back in the day. Having an alice pack in your inventory that you could attach items to was awesome (hacked the system of armor attachments I think) and being able to transform the colt car into different configurations was rad as hell for the time

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 28, 2022

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Tin Tim posted:

Iirc some or all of the people behind DL actually moved on to making UC but I could be wrong. It really was a long ago by now :v:

Though I still remember how UC blew my mind back in the day. Having an alice pack in your inventory that you could attach items to was awesome (hacked the system of armor attachments I think) and being able to transform the colt car into different configurations was rad as hell for the time

Yeah I mentioned that six posts up. Thanks for the Urban Chaos tips, they are very appreciated.
Hoping for something wild like that multiple severed heads discovery moment in Deidranna Lives.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
In all my years, I've never actually tried any of the mods other than 1.13. How much of a pain in the rear end is getting UC up and running?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Kris xK posted:

In all my years, I've never actually tried any of the mods other than 1.13. How much of a pain in the rear end is getting UC up and running?

Bigtime pain in the rear end.
The vanilla UC installer is old, Windows compatibility mode for it is a crapshoot, even the most recent versions of the Urban Chaos 1.13 mod are over 10 years old, etc.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

New devblog with a meet-the-devs video:

https://community.jaggedalliance.com/index/dev-diaries/devdiary-2-legacy-and-writing-r4/

They got Ian Currie from Sir-tech on the team.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
That's cool, and I'm looking forward to the game, but ya know after the first five burns I'm not holding my breath for anything anymore.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Broose posted:

That's cool, and I'm looking forward to the game, but ya know after the first five burns I'm not holding my breath for anything anymore.

I just want Jagged Alliance 2 in 3D. Why does this have to be so hard? I saw someone doing an Unity tutorial on this!

Like, bring back action points and moving each square, I'm getting tired of how samey tactical turn-based games are these days.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im glad they are doing a JA 3 instead of trying another uninspired JA2 remake, is one of the reasons I have high hopes for this one. We dont need a modernized JA2, we already have the original JA 2 and 1.13

I do agree that we also dont need another modern XCOM clone, and it looks like that wont be that either

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Been playing this again. How do you guys feel about enemy reinforcements in 1.13? I had a fight with 12 troops become a fight with 25 troops, and that poo poo took me like 2-3 hours to get through and my mercs got hosed up in the process, had to hire and airdrop in a new doc just to get the supplies.

This is my first time really playing since 2014 so I might be remembering things wrong but I'm pretty sure this wasn't in vanilla.

Also does anyone else feel like Ira is lucky? Despite her low starting stats she always ends up saving my rear end. Honestly might be one of my most effective mercs and probably has as many bodies under her belt as Grunty and Buns. I really hope she's in JA3, but I can also imagine the character rubbing a lot of 90's hardcore gamers the wrong way.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

You've got her ear; she's got your heart.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
just had another fun difficult skirmish against some really well armed black shirts become a super long slog of me just shooting, or trying to shoot an additional 13 red shirts that decided to show up late to the party. Luckily Ira was there to save the day again, but I really need to turn off reinforcements.

I was explaining to my girlfriend my problem with medical supplies, and how I had some that were arriving at the airport but no one there to transfer them, and how I could airdrop a merc bwith medical supplies to my current team, but only if I start a contract with them (which I could not afford to do) and then I would still have unused supplies at the airport waiting for me. I then talked about how the helicopter could deliver a team from the airport almost all the way to Grumm (where I am currently) but then they would be walking with a small team, and could very well get gunned down or permanently disabled if they ran into the wrong team in the wrong place.

Going over all this and how systems were at play is really fun to do with this game, and it hammers down the point about how great this game is. This is the game of forever, and the only way a game will ever come beat it is if its just a flat out copy of JA2, but with Silent Storm destructible environments and 3d combat.

Looks like I'll be off to Cambia tonight, then probably Alma. I've never really done the San Mona stuff before though, should I go for that first? I've played 100 hours plus of this game but theres so much stuff I've never done before. I just used a Talon for the first time last night (it rocks).

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

New JA3 devblog, this time on stats and skills.

https://community.jaggedalliance.com/index/dev-diaries/devdiary-4-character-progression-r8//

It's going to be very familiar for the veterans :corsair:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Lima posted:

https://community.jaggedalliance.com/index/dev-diaries/devdiary-4-character-progression-r8//

Sounds good at least. No rocking the boat to “modernize” it and freedom is at the forefront

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Lima posted:

Looks like some good decisions being made. Makes me a bit hopeful.

. . . and suspicious. . . when is the other shoe going to drop?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Really happy about no permanent stat dmg.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Xarn posted:

Really happy about no permanent stat dmg.

Yeah feels like a good design choice would be to get rid of anything that would cause most players to instantly reload a save game if it happens.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RPS really disliked the 'you don't see the hit chance' feature.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/jagged-alliance-3-desperately-wants-it-to-be-1999-again-and-not-in-a-good-way

A few videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT93wWSnkVs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYsHtAkhwJU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70NFWcVo5Zo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgO4MroMKmw

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Yeah because when you line up a shot in real life, your brain conveniently calculates the hit percentage for you. The out of range warble is forever burned onto my mind. I can hear it now.

Something I wanted to share with JA goons: I played through a game called Rebel Cops on my phone recently, and I’d say it’s pretty good for a phone game that scratches the JA itch. It’s very simplified, you only can perform two actions per turn (three with a certain perk) so you can move twice, or move once and shoot once or shoot twice. You have to manage your roster of guys, ammunition, weapons and supplies and take over a town controlled by generic mobsters, while keeping the civilian population happy with you. It is a linear sequence of missions taking over and defending the town, tho, not the dynamic open world of Arulco. Sometimes you’ll have to split your guys to take separate objectives on a single map. Definitely has the “tactical puzzle” vibe that JA has, like how am I gonna cross this empty field unseen and take this house, okay have her go through the window, have him kick in the back door, etc…

The game is also available on PC, but I think it’s kind of lacking as a full-on game, but for the phone, it’s solid. Some reviewers have complained about it being difficult to control on a phone, but other than a few gently caress ups where I fat fingered it and had a cop walk around an enemy instead of hitting them with a baton, I didn’t find it to be a big deal and I’m on an iPhone mini. You do have to zoom in and out a lot.

One thing it is lacking compared to JA is personalities. Other than their base skills and portraits every guy you get is basically interchangeable with every other. They do have their own voice actors, but speech is pretty much limited to “yes sir” and “acknowledged”. The game as a whole has a charming personality, if not the individual cops. It was developed by a Belarusian team and it shows. The game has a strange setting of mashed-up 90s rural America and Eastern Europe and a comic book/noir art style.

I recommend lovers of JA in the market for a phone game to give it a shot.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

As we all know, a large part of the magic of JA2 was the characters and their larger than life 1980s action movie personalities.

But, we have moved past the 80s, we can do something new. JA3 should feature larger than life tiktok celebs and youtubers.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Wrr posted:

As we all know, a large part of the magic of JA2 was the characters and their larger than life 1980s action movie personalities.

But, we have moved past the 80s, we can do something new. JA3 should feature larger than life tiktok celebs and youtubers.

The Paul brothers, running into a minefield, forever.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Wrr posted:

tiktok celebs and youtubers.

Guys is this a bug, I hired this merc named Lowtax and he seemed ok at first but then in combat he just does this goofy vaudeville boxing animation and that's about it, for some reason he never lands a hit unless it's on a woman.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Disappointed there's no IMP mercenary, maybe that'll be in a future build. Also, maybe it's because it's a tutorial level, but the enemies seem kind of sparse.

I'm going to wait until I see more. I'll pick it up eventually, but not sure if I'm going to buy it in the first month.

Edit: Apparently IMP is still an option, I watched the "30 minutes gameplay" video first and it wasn't covered there. I will say, off that "30 minutes" video, you would think that there would be at least some evolution or continuation on the characters. I don't need anything drastic, but it would be nice for M.D. to be a lot more confident at the beginning of this like at the end of JA2.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 19, 2023

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Arrath posted:

The Paul brothers, running into a minefield, forever.

Weird that every merc comes with the psychopath trait this game.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

huh, weird that they didn't get their resident strategy nerd (Sin Vega) to do that preview

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

bees everywhere posted:

Guys is this a bug, I hired this merc named Lowtax and he seemed ok at first but then in combat he just does this goofy vaudeville boxing animation and that's about it, for some reason he never lands a hit unless it's on a woman.

Never put a shotgun in his inventory.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

King Carnivore posted:

Yeah because when you line up a shot in real life, your brain conveniently calculates the hit percentage for you. The out of range warble is forever burned onto my mind. I can hear it now.

Something I wanted to share with JA goons: I played through a game called Rebel Cops on my phone recently, and I’d say it’s pretty good for a phone game that scratches the JA itch. It’s very simplified, you only can perform two actions per turn (three with a certain perk) so you can move twice, or move once and shoot once or shoot twice. You have to manage your roster of guys, ammunition, weapons and supplies and take over a town controlled by generic mobsters, while keeping the civilian population happy with you. It is a linear sequence of missions taking over and defending the town, tho, not the dynamic open world of Arulco. Sometimes you’ll have to split your guys to take separate objectives on a single map. Definitely has the “tactical puzzle” vibe that JA has, like how am I gonna cross this empty field unseen and take this house, okay have her go through the window, have him kick in the back door, etc…

The game is also available on PC, but I think it’s kind of lacking as a full-on game, but for the phone, it’s solid. Some reviewers have complained about it being difficult to control on a phone, but other than a few gently caress ups where I fat fingered it and had a cop walk around an enemy instead of hitting them with a baton, I didn’t find it to be a big deal and I’m on an iPhone mini. You do have to zoom in and out a lot.

One thing it is lacking compared to JA is personalities. Other than their base skills and portraits every guy you get is basically interchangeable with every other. They do have their own voice actors, but speech is pretty much limited to “yes sir” and “acknowledged”. The game as a whole has a charming personality, if not the individual cops. It was developed by a Belarusian team and it shows. The game has a strange setting of mashed-up 90s rural America and Eastern Europe and a comic book/noir art style.

I recommend lovers of JA in the market for a phone game to give it a shot.

I haven’t bought it yet, but looking at the IOS store page it looks pretty okay. 8 bucks seems a bit expensive, but at the same time….

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I wonder if there will be a first person shot spread visualization like in Phoenix point. From what I recall Phoenix point, NCTH and to a lesser extent the original Xcom (i think the percentage they gave you was for the initial roll to hit, independent of the bullet path. With an automatic hit if passed; if failed the game would then simulate the path of the bullet and it would count as a hit if it intersected anything) didn’t give you the full data on hit chances either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A new dev blog , focusing more on combat
https://community.jaggedalliance.com/index/dev-diaries/devdiary-6-combat-part-one-r10/