Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Aquifers are great fun. I'm digging slowly away at being able to deal with them. Especially great is when you hit one but also haven't hit any stone to build walls. Gonna try wood if I have to next time then hopefully get to a layer with proper rock.

Edit: poo poo snype, but I guess it's fitting it's about aquifers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Someone posted about this a few pages ago and I'm having the same issue: a ton of cooked products and empty barrels are building up in my kitchen with an empty food stockpile right next to it.

Masterwork roasts are rotting because no one is putting them in barrels and putting them away.

None of the stockpiles or workshops have any pull from or give to restrictions and there are no burrows designated anywhere in my fort.

What gives?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Decided to build an underground cistern and well after half my injured military almost dehydrated themselves over the winter.

Set up floodgates, got everything working, flipped the switches. Yay water! Cistern fills, all is good ...

Until I forget water pressure exists and a geyser erupts from the well shaft like I struck oil, flooding out my dining hall until I manage to shut the floodgates.

I probably should have capped the well first, now I have a mess to clean up!

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

So I had a nice fort, in a jungle, lots of fruit, no surface water but cavern water was easy to reach. Oh and the volcano. I get a base set up, have a nice magma forge operation going. We dig deep like good dwarves, and are lured by the call of the adamantine spires. Just skim some gems from the surface, whats the worst that could happen?

One demon emerges, immediately incinerating the poor miner.

Upstairs, I quickly cancel all other jobs and try to wall in the stairway to the depths. My dwarves were already struggling, with some losses and a few more in the hospital due to an undead giant lorakeet animated by a necromancer visiting the tavern who was accosted by nearby mandrills.

In a blink, the beast emerges, blasting away at the half-squad assembled nearby.

It rampages through the lower fort, killing dozens, slaughtering the hospitalized dwarves, while others sleep nearby, unaware.

Abandoning the others below to their fate, the few left nearer the surface rush to close off the way to the upper fort and magma forges, until the smoke erupts from below.

While the beast tears a path out and begins torching the farm animals and jungles beyond, where is our last dwarf alive? Where else but hanging out in the tavern surrounded by cats.

But the beast came back.

Page 666! Can I get a tag in the next wave?

Dagon fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 9, 2022

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

lol, the second tantrum of the fort

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

On this most holy of pages i suggest goons dig real deep.

Like deep as you can. And mine the most precious of metals til theres non left

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hihohe posted:

Like deep as you can. And mine the most precious of metals til theres non left

Good idea, all the really good metal is really deep, it only stands to reason.

By Armok this can't be happening

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Alright I think my next construction project is a hospital, which will require a well for wound-washing. I see you can dredge up water from arbitrarily deep, but I'm not sure how to dig a vertical channel like that. Do I just use the channel dig option on the same tile on multiple Z-levels, or is it something else?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Pretty sure that's a bug, because trees fall away from the dorf doing the cutting and in new versions it won't hurt a dorf if it lands on them.

Only way to get hosed by trees that I know, is if a tree falls into another tree and leaves the wood up in the tree - then it can fall straight down onto the dorf cutting the second tree.
However, this can only happen if trees are cut too close to each other so it depends on biome.

Yup that's what happened, it was cutting down one tree that was immediately adjacent to another. It must've knocked down the one I didn't designate which crushed the two of them. I was just trying to beautify my surroundings :mad:

quiggy posted:

Alright I think my next construction project is a hospital, which will require a well for wound-washing. I see you can dredge up water from arbitrarily deep, but I'm not sure how to dig a vertical channel like that. Do I just use the channel dig option on the same tile on multiple Z-levels, or is it something else?

Yup! Channel out the same tile up and down the Z level. It's what I do for my rock chutes.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 9, 2022

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Why are Wereskinks even a problem? Or should I say Wereskinkism. Skinkantrophy? Just play them as normal Dwarves, heck you could have the whole fort infected and then what, once a month all dwarves start laying in the sun and eating bugs for a day, big deal.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Why are Wereskinks even a problem? Or should I say Wereskinkism. Skinkantrophy? Just play them as normal Dwarves, heck you could have the whole fort infected and then what, once a month all dwarves start laying in the sun and eating bugs for a day, big deal.
All werecreatures frikkin' hulk out and rage when they suffer the Change. It IS sort of viable if you have your entire fort be infected, but there's no way to really control that without, uh, considerable casualties.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

How do I do farms? Do they need to be on the surface or am I looking for underground patches of soil? If the latter, how do I find soil underground? Dig around until I uncover some?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Squiggle posted:

Yup! Channel out the same tile up and down the Z level. It's what I do for my rock chutes.

Perfect, thank you! Unfortunately the flooded cavern I'll be pulling water up from is a good 40-50 Z-levels below the main fort so that'll be a huge project, but it's at least a doable one!

explosivo posted:

How do I do farms? Do they need to be on the surface or am I looking for underground patches of soil? If the latter, how do I find soil underground? Dig around until I uncover some?

Oh hey I can answer this one! Farming aboveground doesn't seem to be a thing, below ground you're looking for soil. It's usually only a few levels below the surface, if you can't find any dig down until you find a cavern and there will probably be some there.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

You can do both - foraged plants from the surface leave seeds that can be planted on plots above ground, or the "dwarf crops" like plump helmets are underground. You do need soil, so usually the first layer near the surface is my "farm periphery" with the rest of the fortress below it. If there are any shallow hills, the edges of those can be soilicious.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

explosivo posted:

So you can farm grass on topside

If you want an underground farm it has to be on a
Top of a soil block. Or if you dont have soil block you can cover a stone block in water to make it "muddy" and it will then be farmable.
Be careful with the water

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhLiB66mUvU

^useful video on altering world generation
I disagree quite a bit with the notion of leaving mineral generation at everywhere, and wish the default hadn't been changed in v0.50.
Not only does having every kind of mineral available make it a lot harder to deal with fey moods, but the majority of minerals smelt down to things that are largely useless to dorfs.

For example, if you're equipping war hammers (arguably the best weapon) you want to use heavy metals, whereas armor favours lighter metals since the purpose of armor is only to reduce damage, and the only way to block damage is through shields which require something in between light and heavy metals.
Flux is much more important, and either exist or doesn't on a tile, and isn't affected by mineral generation from what I understand.

Also, I may have missed it, but I didn't hear mention of the way age affects beasts vs more humanoid enemies - the younger the world is, the more beasts you're likely to run into, whereas the older the world, the more likely it is that you'll be spending most of your time fighting goblins/elves/humans/other dorfs.

Kvlt! posted:

Complete begginer here: what settings should I use if I want an ultra soft start for my first game (or technically 2nd game, after I did the tutorial and tried my first fort)
The most important thing is probably the surroundings, and if you stick to ones that are calm, and avoid necromancer towers or civilizations that you're at war with, it's very unlikely that you'll have problems with enemies - although if you want to ensure there are no enemies, that's also an option in the advanced difficulty settings.

Mrenda posted:

Aquifers are great fun. I'm digging slowly away at being able to deal with them. Especially great is when you hit one but also haven't hit any stone to build walls. Gonna try wood if I have to next time then hopefully get to a layer with proper rock.

Edit: poo poo snype, but I guess it's fitting it's about aquifers
They're certainly useful if you want to do underworld farming without going all the way down to the caves - especially with the changes to farming where above-world farming now needs 5 times as much space and seeds as it used to to produce the same amount of plants to brew drinks from.

LegionAreI posted:

Decided to build an underground cistern and well after half my injured military almost dehydrated themselves over the winter.

Set up floodgates, got everything working, flipped the switches. Yay water! Cistern fills, all is good ...

Until I forget water pressure exists and a geyser erupts from the well shaft like I struck oil, flooding out my dining hall until I manage to shut the floodgates.

I probably should have capped the well first, now I have a mess to clean up!
Dorfs only need water to wash wounds and other things, and if they need alcohol to get through the day (which happens to basically every dorf) and try to give them water, you'll quickly have a temper tantrum spiral.

Hihohe posted:

So you can farm grass on topside

If you want an underground farm it has to be on a
Top of a soil block. Or if you dont have soil block you can cover a stone block in water to make it "muddy" and it will then be farmable.
Be careful with the water
If cavemoss can grow on it, you can make farms on it, if memory serves.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for the info about farming! My impending food crisis is causing me a lot of stress lol.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Flavahbeast posted:

lol, the second tantrum of the fort

update: witnesses including the queen accused the child of attacking the dog but not of any other crimes, the king's corpse was dumped in a refuse pile instead of the tomb I assigned him

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Cooking plants usually destroys the seed but you can mill many plants and that creates a cookable flour and preserves the seed so you can grow more. Just be sure you pump out bags to hold all that flour.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

fortress died because my dwarves kept seeing a giant completely passive and immobile giant sponge 15 floors down a chasm and they were too scared of it to eat and drink

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
itd be nice/funny if you could send dwarfs off your own site, and off your own world, into a friends world, so they could all die to some foreign horror zone

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/zarawesome/status/1601217756426559489?s=20&t=hckGSdI8qH6S6VI4oo95_Q

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Is there a way to auto designate mining ore veins in this version?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

they enjoyed watching the performances anyways :unsmith:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Do farms need to be in actual caves or just deep and if so, how deep?

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Mirthless posted:

:science:

my strategy is generally to try to build for major infrastructure needs in the first year and then diffuse anger by overindulging in everything in year two; Enjoy a little bit of :science: as I solve winter freshwater problems, block dangerous magma enemies from reaching the surface, get safe access to magma for my smelters, mass obsidian production and a big old crater lake at the end for all my trouble

Now that we're capping this volcano into a lake, the idea is to turn this place into a tourist trap, hot springs and magma forges everywhere, i'm sure goblins will be visiting and paying me fat stacks of goblinite real soon

Alright, you’re the first person to have “Dwarf Fortress” and “tourist trap” together.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

titty_baby_ posted:

Click the yellow arrow after selecting the pick, you can select some options there.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 9, 2022

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

Diogines posted:

Do farms need to be in actual caves or just deep and if so, how deep?

If you have soil layers near the surface you can build farms on them, but i think the yields are lowered due to the soil quality. You can improve that by getting a lye industry running for potash fertilizer
Edit: by soil i mean sand, clay and loam

Soapy_Bumslap fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 9, 2022

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

titty_baby_ posted:

Click the mining icon, then the rigtwards pointing (blue?) arrow, and there's options there that let you do that. Auto had them following a vein for me.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Hihohe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlGw8QJC2-w

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Dorfs only need water to wash wounds and other things, and if they need alcohol to get through the day (which happens to basically every dorf) and try to give them water, you'll quickly have a temper tantrum spiral.

Yeah, but I had five of my best warriors laid up in hospital with no water, and since convalescing dwarves only get given water, it became a problem! The washing issue was important too. I got it cleaned up thankfully. Hopefully I won't need to refill the cistern any time soon ...

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

If you have soil layers near the surface you can build farms on them, but i think the yields are lowered due to the soil quality. You can improve that by getting a lye industry running for potash fertilizer
Edit: by soil i mean sand, clay and loam
Good to know but what I meant was, how deep do you need to go before you don't need the fertilizer? Can you just dig X many layers deep and irrigate it or do you need to farm on actual natural cavern tiles?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Is there a way to automatically unfobid shot bolts nowadays? I can't find it.

Ah nevermind partner found it, > Labour > Standing Orders > Sieges and Forbidding.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

Diogines posted:

Good to know but what I meant was, how deep do you need to go before you don't need the fertilizer? Can you just dig X many layers deep and irrigate it or do you need to farm on actual natural cavern tiles?

Oh my bad, I don't know that yet either. I've been dithering around near the surface like some filthy elf

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Flavahbeast posted:

update: witnesses including the queen accused the child of attacking the dog but not of any other crimes, the king's corpse was dumped in a refuse pile instead of the tomb I assigned him

Yea assigned rooms are relinquished upon death so actual burial location can only be assigned posthumously- the tomb you assigned originally should be free to be assigned still.

Consider it a sanity check on behalf of the populus: ”yea we totally assigned him a mausoleum but for reals now that he is DEAD does he really care if we assign the high-value tomb to the next guy needing a throne room?”

B B
Dec 1, 2005

For anyone new to the game who wants video tutorials, here are a couple of tutorial-focused let's plays that I've found on youtube:

Blind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiLI4LR3lWs

Quill18: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPAC28yKsZY

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

While we're discussing farming, if I have designated a farm plot to be one seed but it says I'm out of that seed, if I change it to another will the dwarves waste any seeds they already planted or will they just fill in the remaining squares?

Dershiva
Jun 8, 2001

My spoon is too big
Fun Shoe
Are Statue Gardens/Museums in the steam version? I made a Meeting Area and put in a bunch of pedestals with items on them and no one is visiting the room.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
How do I know when I've found a "cavern level?" I seemingly haven't found any preexisting caves after like 35 levels of digging. I didn't make an island map although I did get placed near a riverbed (no mountains anywhere near) by the tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
posting in this epic page.