Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Army Painter washes used to be really great...but IIRC, some time back they changed the formula and (at least in my experience, anyways) they're a lot thicker and gloopier now, and generally don't flow as well as a Citadel wash (at least the old Citadel washes, haven't used the newer ones that were reformulated with the more Contrast-like medium), or a homemade wash made with inks and medium.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I'll die on the hill that people should just buy liquitex flow improver and various acrylic mediums to make their own stuff. It just lasts so much longer.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Demilich posted:

I'll die on the hill that people should just buy liquitex flow improver and various acrylic mediums to make their own stuff. It just lasts so much longer.

I made a shitload of brown wash years ago and i've yet to run out of it. just burnt umber, little bit of black, flow improver, touch of matte medium, then like 99% water

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Pierzak posted:

Might linking a few of them? These two posts are literally the first time I encountered bad opinions on the AP washes.

I wasn't referring to their washes in particular, just their paints in general.

Fauxhammer: "there are some genuine diamonds in this rough and ready range." (https://www.fauxhammer.com/reviews/the-army-painter-review-for-miniatures-wargames-models/)

Here's Benji's Hobbies finding them too watery with poor coverage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvlYUj5xtt0

Here's Geek Gaming saying they had to add a medium to them to get them to homogenize well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWzLRD1Cetc

Muir fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 9, 2022

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Muir posted:

And I was referring to their washes specifically.

The uneven and often mediocre quality of plain Army Painter paints are a well-known fact and I don't need any more material on that, but their washes are excellent so I was surprised.

The Demilich posted:

Time spent mixing fluids is time not spent painting minis, and I have way too much poo poo in my backlog as it is.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Pierzak posted:

And I was referring to their washes specifically.

The uneven and often mediocre quality of plain Army Painter paints are a well-known fact and I don't need any more material on that, but their washes are excellent so I was surprised.

Time spent mixing fluids is time not spent painting minis, and I have way too much poo poo in my backlog as it is.

It took me about 10 minutes to gather up everything then mix it together in large dropper bottle that I bought a bunch of on amazon. It's not difficult. You should have all the stuff to make it anyway as the ingredients are useful to have for a bunch of other things anyway.

You can even cheap out and use ink, water, and a little drop of dish soap. You should have 2/3 of those things in your house.

Edit: keep in mind, I only use this wash on bases and terrain and stuff. So I just want it to be cheap and to make a lot

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 9, 2022

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Mini painting YouTuber OG Doctor Faust routinely mixes up his own washes with inks and Pledge with Future floor polish, if he can make time to do so then we can too :colbert:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Ink with pledge was my deal for a while too. Was so nice to have washes in whatever colors I wanted. I gotta try it with flow improver though.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Marx Headroom posted:

Ink with pledge was my deal for a while too. Was so nice to have washes in whatever colors I wanted. I gotta try it with flow improver though.

Huh, that seems like it would work really well. I've used pledge as a varnish before and it makes sense that you could tune that with acrylic-medium or whatever.

Currently trying to sort out my airbrush a d I've just been getting a ton of spattering. Freshly cleaned patriot 105, running flow improver with some valejo black primer and a black ink.

Am I thinning incorrectly, or is it some issues with my setup? My little compressor should be running around 30-32 psi I think

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That's a really high pressure for thinned paint/inks. Cut that in half.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Muir posted:

Fauxhammer: "there are some genuine diamonds in this rough and ready range." (https://www.fauxhammer.com/reviews/the-army-painter-review-for-miniatures-wargames-models/)

Haven't caught the videos yet, but I'm reading through the Fauxhammer article and he specifically mentions that for the one that took 10 coats to cover, he hadn't shaken the bottle. The overall review is pretty positive, and the cons include things that have been fixed (mixing balls), or aren't direct issues at all (weak range, mediocre in-box presentation). I don't nearly have the experience to comment on it myself, but he mentions this:

Fauxhammer posted:

I�ve added inconsistent coverage in the Cons column above. Many people say this and I have to agree. I�ve pretty much resolved this with by understanding the extra medium added to the bottles and with power-assisted mixing. But most people don�t have or can�t really justify buying a vortex mixer (even though they are cool as hell!) just to use a range of paints. But you can always just pull the dropper cap off and give it a good mix inside with an old brush before your first use.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I ended up grabbing Kalahari orange, Gobi brown, and Anthracite grey from Scale 75 and Pistachio from AK, as well as Blood for the Blood God and some tan vallejo primer. Thanks!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

w00tmonger posted:

Huh, that seems like it would work really well. I've used pledge as a varnish before and it makes sense that you could tune that with acrylic-medium or whatever.

Currently trying to sort out my airbrush a d I've just been getting a ton of spattering. Freshly cleaned patriot 105, running flow improver with some valejo black primer and a black ink.

Am I thinning incorrectly, or is it some issues with my setup? My little compressor should be running around 30-32 psi I think

I usually don't do straight FImp, I do 3:1 airbrush thinner to FImp. I don't know if that's your issue here but something to try. I know the other poster mentioned you don't need it that high already, but seconding and I'd def lower that psi.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Rash Hardbottom of the Blue Shell Pirates springs boldly into action! This frog found a job doing what he loves and will never work a day in his life!

Mini by Artisan Guild: https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-bull-gurunda-modular-f-163764

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
This time in "color scheme testing" we have a Greyjoy archer. Which I think is coming off as a generic medieval archer. Still not 100% convinced because I don't want them to look like they are a standing army with a uniform but still need some unifying color.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm addicted to painting spooky rusty boys

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I painted some TIE fighters/interceptors/bombers for Star Wars: Armada. The TIE fighter panels are about the size of my pinky fingernail, these are pretty small but still have some details to bring out (like the lasers under the cockpits). The interior wing panels don’t have the panel lines to bring out though, and I’m not trying to freehand something that tiny.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
here are today's greenstuff projects!

First off, Heihachi Mishima from tekken for my ork Kommando kill team:-

I need to find out how to do sheets of torn cloth to make the flared pats heihachi mishima wears, I'll look around on youtube but if you know of better ways to make torn cloth I would love to know!

Next up is the dog from the Elucidian Star Striders kill team:-

I'm not a big fan of the Doberman look, so I decided if I were an insanely rich Rogue Trader I would have Amaterasu from the video game Okami, so I did my best to try to sculpt green stuff to make an approximation of that character.I'll probly add a symbol of some sort to the disk on top of the flame when it dries out.

critique/advice/comments greatly appreciated!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bro just casually designing whole minis I'd probably buy itt 💀

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

wanna see this guy hurl a grot off a cliff

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Al-Saqr posted:

I need to find out how to do sheets of torn cloth to make the flared pats heihachi mishima wears, I'll look around on youtube but if you know of better ways to make torn cloth I would love to know!

I'm not a big fan of the Doberman look, so I decided if I were an insanely rich Rogue Trader I would have Amaterasu from the video game Okami, so I did my best to try to sculpt green stuff to make an approximation of that character.I'll probly add a symbol of some sort to the disk on top of the flame when it dries out.

HOLY ELECTRIC WIND WAAAAGH FIST

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Count Thrashula posted:

I'm addicted to painting spooky rusty boys

I love this.

Have you given any thought to OSL reflecting the blue?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Al-Saqr posted:

Very nice!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

moths posted:

I love this.

Have you given any thought to OSL reflecting the blue?

I thought about it but I'm a scared little baby when it comes to trying OSL

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

I'm going to try barrel drilling for the first time with these guys, arms from the motorcycle kit.

How's the angle?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Clearly I’ve got more patience than sense :v: 4 stands of interceptors, for Armada. Finishing these off, then moving on to finish my base TIEs.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

Da Gorkhand approves!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Zark the Damned posted:

Da Gorkhand approves!

LOL that rules

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Anybody know a decent colour match to citadel wraithbone rattlecan primer? Like a lot of citadel primers the pots don’t match the cans. I’ve decanted a bit but it’s murder on paint brushes and a complete pain in the rear end.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Zuul the Cat posted:

It's probably just down to personal preference but I don't like Army Painter paints at all. I find the coverage really bad and their washes are frustrating. YMMV though.

I like them because they behave like 90s citadel paints, but if you're used to modern ultra-pigmented ranges I can see why people wouldn't gel with them

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Army Painter just put out a video saying that they know everybody dislikes their paints so they're reformulating them and working with content creators to make a better product. I respect that.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Count Thrashula posted:

Army Painter just put out a video saying that they know everybody dislikes their paints so they're reformulating them and working with content creators to make a better product. I respect that.

Welp, time to buy a gallon of their washes before they gently caress up the formula.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Pierzak posted:

Welp, time to buy a gallon of their washes before they gently caress up the formula.

Somewhere a marketing agent is walking through the grocery store and just got an unexplained erection.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Count Thrashula posted:

Specifically speedpaints ot what? I'm 80/20 on their stuff, and wonder how much of it is comparison to other paint lines

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I like Army Painter as a company and all their products, except their base paint line. The color metallics are neat, their wet palette is awesome, their scenery stuff is good, and I have good experience with their spray primer. If they are improving their paint that is great!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

If they reduce or eliminate the reactivation on the speed paints I will be honestly sad, you can do some cool poo poo with that.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I like Army Painter as a company and all their products, except their base paint line. The color metallics are neat, their wet palette is awesome, their scenery stuff is good, and I have good experience with their spray primer. If they are improving their paint that is great!

Same, I've only used a couple of AP base paints but they were lackluster, but I've been happy with their basing mats, tools, sprays, and swear by their washes. I would buy their Dark and Soft Tone by the quart bottle if they sold it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bucnasti posted:

Same, I've only used a couple of AP base paints but they were lackluster, but I've been happy with their basing mats, tools, sprays, and swear by their washes. I would buy their Dark and Soft Tone by the quart bottle if they sold it.

good news is that they do sell it by the quart but not in a bottle

https://www.thearmypainter.com/basic-painting/dip/how-to-use-quickshade-dip/

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The new Chosen kit is so great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Spanish Manlove posted:

good news is that they do sell it by the quart but not in a bottle

https://www.thearmypainter.com/basic-painting/dip/how-to-use-quickshade-dip/

Is the canned dip the same as the dropper bottle wash? I assumed (for some reason) it was thicker.

Edit: I just read the whole page it says the dip is an oil based product and takes 24-48hrs to dry, so it' can't be the same as what I get in the droppers.

Bucnasti fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 11, 2022