Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

quote:

City hall said that that research carried out on behalf of the municipality showed that 67 percent of Amsterdam residents consider traffic to be either unsafe or very unsafe. About 83 percent of residents think higher speeds creates dangerous situations in traffic.

I wonder what results you would get if you ran this study in a Midwest city.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Karach posted:

I wonder what results you would get if you ran this study in a Midwest city.

just incoherent ranting about how the left lane is for passing

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Fitzy Fitz posted:

just incoherent ranting about how the left lane is for passing

they asked this question in the Winnipeg subreddit. it looks like the galaxy brains there are quite happy to sacrifice you on the altar of Motöra so that they can continue to blaze through suburban streets at 60 km/h.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Mr. Sharps posted:

good memories on the various puget sound ferries. my favorite is when tony the class clown hocked a giant loogie over the side of the orcas island ferry while it was steaming full speed and it whipped straight back into some poor random old dudes face. next favorite is telling the tourists on the bainbridge island ferry that 1.
there’s real good ice cream on the island and 2. this is the boat that mulched the horse in the movie The Ring

Another fun ferry thing is that it's the only part of the highway system that will sell you alcohol. Drive on, grab a beer in the galley, drive off

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mr. Sharps posted:

good memories on the various puget sound ferries. my favorite is when tony the class clown hocked a giant loogie over the side of the orcas island ferry while it was steaming full speed and it whipped straight back into some poor random old dudes face.

laughed irl :laugh:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

no one wants anyone to be killed or even hurt. We know this in our hearts. However,

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Karach posted:

they asked this question in the Winnipeg subreddit. it looks like the galaxy brains there are quite happy to sacrifice you on the altar of Motöra so that they can continue to blaze through suburban streets at 60 km/h.

Something similar was asked on my local subreddit and there was a guy who was very vocal about how "your right to be 'safe' stops where my right to get home at a reasonable time begins"

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I made the mistake of posting on reddit yesterday. I got dragged and called entitled for suggesting that Trader Joes shouldn't cater to drivers in the middle of a downtown core.

FYI there are at least 8 other grocery stores within a 1.25 mile radius.

CopperHound has issued a correction as of 19:09 on Dec 9, 2022

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Karach posted:

writing “virtually none of the deaths were children” in my defense of high speed limits.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
i hate cars thread:

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

E: riddled with small inaccuracies

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Karach posted:

The thing about surface street speed limits is that controlled access superhighways are so ubiquitous in North American city cores, it makes effectively zero difference whether you're going 25 or 45 for the first and last mile or two of your journey.

Hell depending on the area, even 25 is kind of a stupidly high speed. But you'll have a beautifully engineered road designed for 45-55mph+ through a city center and then plop an artificially low limit on it and wonder why everyone is speeding and complaining about slow drivers.

My town is somehow managing to actually do something about this in a lot of cases, it's been shocking seeing traffic calming things being added in a US city in earnest. One of the neighborhood roads that used to be a big shortcut from the main drag would always have endless people and commercial trucks blasting through at 10+ over the limit got a bunch of speed bumps put in, and the subsequent reduction in traffic and slowing of the traffic that's left has been delightful. I can't imagine the gnashing of teeth now from the people that have to waste single digit seconds of time driving 0.5mi out of their way on a higher speed limit road that's actually built to handle the traffic.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Reminder that the average American (or rural European for that matter) thinks that the alternative to cars is no cars and ??? for transportation. If you don't understand the concept of changing location without a car, I kinda get how a few dead kids could be acceptable.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What if we gave the children stilts to walk on for visibility and put little airbags in their puffy jackets?

Considering this further, stilt walking could be a useful skill for climate change adaptation.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 20:08 on Dec 9, 2022

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Something similar was asked on my local subreddit and there was a guy who was very vocal about how "your right to be 'safe' stops where my right to get home at a reasonable time begins"

Terminal car brain. Many such cases.

If you fundamentally don't give a poo poo about your community, which is really where most people are at, I can see how such a disease can take hold.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BonHair posted:

Reminder that the average American (or rural European for that matter) thinks that the alternative to cars is no cars and ??? for transportation. If you don't understand the concept of changing location without a car, I kinda get how a few dead kids could be acceptable.

unpopular thread opinion:
cars make sense if you live somewhere relatively rural

tbh I'm not anti-car, I'm anti suburbs and unwalkable cities, anti-ramrod interstates through city cores, and anti-ultra long haul trucking that should be handled by trains

there is a place for cars, but it's not city cores, and the suburban sprawl cars have enabled is a scourge

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

eXXon posted:

What if we gave the children stilts to walk on for visibility and put little airbags in their puffy jackets?

Considering this further, stilt walking could be a useful skill for climate change adaptation.

Nah, let's solve this with putting AI in the car. Incidentally, this absolves the driver of any residual responsibility, even if the AI can be set to "wait 30 second more for coffee is worse than running over a preschool".

Also, thanks to the unbiased nature of AI, we can make car murders more racist!

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

CopperHound posted:

I made the mistake of posting on reddit yesterday. I got dragged and called entitled for suggesting that Trader Joes shouldn't cater to drivers in the middle of a downtown core.

FYI there are at least 8 other grocery stores within a 1.25 mile radius.

are you talking about clark street?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

e.pilot posted:

unpopular thread opinion:
cars make sense if you live somewhere relatively rural

tbh I'm not anti-car, I'm anti suburbs and unwalkable cities, anti-ramrod interstates through city cores, and anti-ultra long haul trucking that should be handled by trains

there is a place for cars, but it's not city cores, and the suburban sprawl cars have enabled is a scourge

The problem is that many rural areas within ~100 km of cities end up as bedroom communities for those cities simply because the car makes such a thing possible. With a car and at least semi-functional infrastructure, you can contemplate living really far away from the city where you mainly work, shop, and engage in social activities. Those bedroom communities fill up with car-brained people, and end up pursuing a development trajectory that's oriented around cars: they don't invest in anything that makes the community more walkable, or attempt to attract or build a local economy that would make it so that you don't have to constantly commute to the city. And higher levels of government don't develop plans to create, say, mass transit options between cities and outlying communities. And the car-brained inhabitants of these communities can only conceive of development in car-brained terms, so they don't oppose the car-oriented developments that developers love to push through municipal councils.

I mean, yes, ban cars, but the point is to think about how to reconfigure where we live so that the need for a car is reduced. I live in a rural area - taking my bike on the highway is always a crapshoot; you have to pray that the 17-year old kid driving the B-train loaded with canola is actually paying attention when it's his turn to pass you.

Apr 7, 2003

There are plenty of pre-automobile rural towns in the northeast, they're just all walkable within themselves with regards to day to day needs. Pre-1940s you had rail links between these towns and eventually to larger cities.

The sort of "rural living" that people think about when they think about "rural living," everyone living on large plots in low density areas, is a creation of the automobile era.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Rural communities before cars:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/YKai7iWpbYfJquDo7

Rural as we know it now requires cars because it was designed for cars

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There are plenty of pre-automobile rural towns in the northeast, they're just all walkable within themselves with regards to day to day needs. Pre-1940s you had rail links between these towns and eventually to larger cities.

The sort of "rural living" that people think about when they think about "rural living," everyone living on large plots in low density areas, is a creation of the automobile era.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
When I was in Europe I was able to bike from Cologne to Antwerp with absolutely no problem. Tons of towns in Belgium were connected by superb bike paths.

So we just need a world war in North America to flatten the existing infrastructure so we can build something new.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Rural communities before cars:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/YKai7iWpbYfJquDo7

Rural as we know it now requires cars because it was designed for cars

it's immediately evident that this is an actual community, like there are homes and a church and stores and different things all right next to each other. in contrast exurban sprawl inhibits the development of a community, creating ever more fragmented populations that can only relate to each other as consumers who drive in their cars to the same strip malls but have basically no opportunities for organic chance meetings or connections in real public spaces

Apr 7, 2003

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

it's immediately evident that this is an actual community, like there are homes and a church and stores and different things all right next to each other. in contrast exurban sprawl inhibits the development of a community, creating ever more fragmented populations that can only relate to each other as consumers who drive in their cars to the same strip malls but have basically no opportunities for organic chance meetings or connections in real public spaces

One of my favorite bits about the pandemic in the US was people complaining that restaurants were shut down, leaving people nowhere to socialize. My man, you check into a booth and hold a bench down for an hour while you stare wordlessly at one of the fifteen televisions there. You aren't socializing with anyone you didn't walk in with.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Here is an even better one:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/hoeJDS9iKzgfY5ey6

Population 1200, no sprawl, train station for travel. The trains in Spain travel all through the plain.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

One of my favorite bits about the pandemic in the US was people complaining that restaurants were shut down, leaving people nowhere to socialize. My man, you check into a booth and hold a bench down for an hour while you stare wordlessly at one of the fifteen televisions there. You aren't socializing with anyone you didn't walk in with.

It is why small talk exists in America or many people would have absolutely zero human contact.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Karach posted:

So we just need a world war in North America to flatten the existing infrastructure so we can build something new.
I was under the impression that the bombed out places of Europe are now the most car centric because they didn't have any of those pesky medieval city centers in the way of their fancy new Autobahn.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Karach posted:

I mean, yes, ban cars, but the point is to think about how to reconfigure where we live so that the need for a car is reduced.

Yes that's the point I was getting at. Cars aren't going anywhere, but our reliance on them can be dramatically reduced.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

im going to walk to a restaurant tomorrow and socialize with my friends

Apr 7, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

im going to walk to a restaurant tomorrow and socialize with my friends

A dude on reddit flipped the gently caress out at me when I suggested that he could hang out with his friends in a park and suggested that I was a pedophile who wanted to watch children play on the monkey bars.

I don't even know what you're supposed to say to people like that.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

A dude on reddit flipped the gently caress out at me when I suggested that he could hang out with his friends in a park and suggested that I was a pedophile who wanted to watch children play on the monkey bars.

I don't even know what you're supposed to say to people like that.

Just makes me think of that dude who got creamed by the drink driver while waiting at the bus stop, and the main thing the cops were wanting to investigate was why someone who owned a car was waiting at a bus stop.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Ham Equity posted:

Just makes me think of that dude who got creamed by the drink driver while waiting at the bus stop, and the main thing the cops were wanting to investigate was why someone who owned a car was waiting at a bus stop.

lol another version of this was

Guy who was riding a scooter on the sidewalk and after he was hit by reckless or drunk driver, the city tried to institute a curfew on scooter riding?????

edit: loving christ I was googling "man hit by car on scooter" to find the story and just never do that because theres so god drat many horrible stories im not digging through all this poo poo.

edit2: changed it to "student hit by car on scooter" and found the right story! REAL NEAT GOOGLE

https://news.yahoo.com/iu-student-death-injuries-e-092147053.html

https://twitter.com/citybloomington/status/1579886286902816770?s=20&t=66mt5eA2i21CvfouLSWk7w

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 03:32 on Dec 10, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
In Toronto we have 'ghost bike' memorials to cyclists killed on the road - I think this is done in lots of cities, not just here. Recently a cyclist riding in a bike lane was killed by a truck driver and a memorial went up at the location.

Then this happened.

https://twitter.com/CanadianCycling/status/1601234666283216897

IDK if that's more appropriate for an ACAB thread (or if there even still is one?) but gently caress cars and gently caress the police.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i wish i could find the story but like five or ten years ago there was this really horrible incident where a dumbass cop killed a kindergartner with their SUV, because the cop was trying to get a better view of something and drove the car onto the sidewalk. get out and walk over? no, better heedlessly plow through a childrens pedestrian zone.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

e.pilot posted:

Cars aren't going anywhere

Yeah especially not with all these bollards I just put in all the roads!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

are you talking about clark street?
I don't know where that is, but I'm guessing my situation is not unique.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, sure, I think this justifies cross-posting from the Seattle thread: I just narrowly missed seeing a woman get hit by a car. Turned around in time to see the woman on the ground screaming and the lady getting out of the car.

Called 911 to get an ambulance, walked away once they hung up and the cops showed up. There were three other people helping the woman, figured I was just gonna get in the way and I don't think I'm constitutionally capable of being polite to cops at this point.

Reset the "it has been X days since Ham Equity has seen someone get hit by a car" calendar. I think I'm averaging about 18 months, though the last one I saw was only about six months ago, I think? I want to say June, maybe April or May.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Karach posted:

When I was in Europe I was able to bike from Cologne to Antwerp with absolutely no problem. Tons of towns in Belgium were connected by superb bike paths.

Rural in Europe, especially when you get to the low countries, is quite different from what you see in the USA, because the population density is so high though. By American standard, Benelux is basically one big city. This is mostly because the land is worth living on, as opposed to most of the USA, and also people have been making towns for a lot longer. This means lower distances between stuff, which makes bikes more viable, which means you can actually get someone to build infrastructure for it.

Having a bike path from Antwerp to Bruges makes sense because it's a realistic trip to take and basically the entire route is populated. With American infrastructure, you can go from interesting part of city to suburban nothing, which doesn't really make sense.

So you need to start by leveling the suburbs and building a lot of smaller, higher density towns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Ham Equity posted:

Yeah, sure, I think this justifies cross-posting from the Seattle thread: I just narrowly missed seeing a woman get hit by a car. Turned around in time to see the woman on the ground screaming and the lady getting out of the car.

Called 911 to get an ambulance, walked away once they hung up and the cops showed up. There were three other people helping the woman, figured I was just gonna get in the way and I don't think I'm constitutionally capable of being polite to cops at this point.

Reset the "it has been X days since Ham Equity has seen someone get hit by a car" calendar. I think I'm averaging about 18 months, though the last one I saw was only about six months ago, I think? I want to say June, maybe April or May.

where was this? downtown?