Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

That Works posted:

Liz votes with her own party tho

can’t vote if your not in congress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Her staying a D helps if she wanted to be a loser centrist MSNBC pundit like McCaskill or Donnelly; going "independent" means she can move over to Fox

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

That Works posted:

Liz votes with her own party tho

Sinema votes with Liz's party too

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Lol at all the BUD/S duds who ended up going undes. Now on top of movies, tv shows, and books, the SEALs rejects get a times article. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/09/us/navy-seals-recruits.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

I met two BUD/S duds who went to corps school with me and went dental tech. So I know chipping paint isn’t a universal thing. Idk this is funnier to me than Sinema declaring she’s independent now.

Edit: oh dear, they are apparently beating motherfuckers up and forcing them to quit to receive medical attention in BUD/S now, not just shipping them undes to the fleet. I’m no longer laughing.

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 9, 2022

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I for one am shocked- shocked, I say!- that a fenced unit removed from the oversight of the big DOD whose entire history is made up of war crimes and murdering civilians, is abusing candidates.

It will never happen, but SEALs should be disbanded. There is nothing they do that cannot be done more effectively and professionally by another unit in DOD. Even in their own depictions and accounts, they fail more often than they succeed, and demonstrate a poo poo ton of ineptitude and bravado.

Truth be told, I look forward to (and also dread) when the dark secrets start leaking from Delta.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bulletsponge13 posted:

I for one am shocked- shocked, I say!- that a fenced unit removed from the oversight of the big DOD whose entire history is made up of war crimes and murdering civilians, is abusing candidates.

It will never happen, but SEALs should be disbanded. There is nothing they do that cannot be done more effectively and professionally by another unit in DOD. Even in their own depictions and accounts, they fail more often than they succeed, and demonstrate a poo poo ton of ineptitude and bravado.

Truth be told, I look forward to (and also dread) when the dark secrets start leaking from Delta.

Concur on all accounts. Honestly, SEALs should be disbanded and the remnants sent to MARSOC, if MARSOC will even take them.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bulletsponge13 posted:

It’s coke and meth, and the problems that come with coke heads and tweakers. Oh and PED’s but that’s.. kinda whatever.

I dunno if the full scope of it will ever be public, or even frigging cared about outside of community… But yeah, meth and coke. You can beat random urinalysis when you are TDY 200+ days a year even when not on alert or deployed. Especially with drugs you metabolize and get rid of quickly like Coke and Meth.

It’s a solvable problem, though. It’s not intrinsic to Delta, just something that happened. I figure Vice or Bowden would have an article about it by now, but I haven’t seen one.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

It’s coke and meth, and the problems that come with coke heads and tweakers. Oh and PED’s but that’s.. kinda whatever.

I dunno if the full scope of it will ever be public, or even frigging cared about outside of community… But yeah, meth and coke. You can beat random urinalysis when you are TDY 200+ days a year even when not on alert or deployed. Especially with drugs you metabolize and get rid of quickly like Coke and Meth.

It’s a solvable problem, though. It’s not intrinsic to Delta, just something that happened. I figure Vice or Bowden would have an article about it by now, but I haven’t seen one.

I think that rolling stone article is the only one that’s dropped on Delta as of late. And it’s a couple of years old now.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheWeedNumber posted:

I think that rolling stone article is the only one that’s dropped on Delta as of late. And it’s a couple of years old now.

A quick google tells me you appear to be correct.

Honestly, I’d be shocked if they hadn’t gotten things unfucked. They aren’t like Army SEAL’s or some poo poo. But 20 years of continuous war and never standing down during that timespan is gonna create some… Issues.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I have a friend who went to BUD/S the class after the Pentagon had sent some observers to find out why the hell they were graduating so few candidates. He said the instructors promised them that now that the Pentagon was gone they were going to abuse that class twice as much.

Seems like a cool group. I might have hated being a Seabee, but when they rejected my ARMY transfer and said "you get BUD/S orders you leave immediately no questions" I didn't even once consider screening. Seems like the right call!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Not the drugs.
There is a lot of RUMINT about poo poo they did running around GWOT, similar poo poo to what DEVGRU got exposed for. Story is they did all kinds of poo poo, just not to civilians on the scale of DEVGRU. It's RUMINT, but it fits the boot.

E-PEDS should be required for combat arms, along with proper fitness education and training.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 9, 2022

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

bulletsponge13 posted:

E-PEDS should be required for combat arms, along with proper fitness education and training.

As long as they are also taken care of medically and are somehow thoroughly informed on possible long-term issues (which we should more than cover/pay for) this is a great idea.

If we want super soldiers, we should start making them. The potential advantages of adding a healthy dose of PEDs for our troops could be huge.

Plus we get closer to space Marines AND might get some great medical advances out of it.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Steroids have only two acceptable places in the world - bodybuilding and so baseball players can get jacked and hit dingers. Namaste.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Medical science is already getting everything it needs out of the athletes and the sick. There's nothing to be gained from soldiers outside more weird societal issues and shifting body image standards

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

maffew buildings posted:

Steroids have only two acceptable places in the world - bodybuilding and so baseball players can get jacked and hit dingers. Namaste.

how else am I supposed to reenlist with a degree and get my balls shrunk?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

TheWeedNumber posted:

Lol at all the BUD/S duds who ended up going undes. Now on top of movies, tv shows, and books, the SEALs rejects get a times article. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/09/us/navy-seals-recruits.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

I met two BUD/S duds who went to corps school with me and went dental tech. So I know chipping paint isn’t a universal thing. Idk this is funnier to me than Sinema declaring she’s independent now.

Edit: oh dear, they are apparently beating motherfuckers up and forcing them to quit to receive medical attention in BUD/S now, not just shipping them undes to the fleet. I’m no longer laughing.

It's a far cry from that documentary that's now on YouTube which shows them getting medical attention but only if they've truly earned it.

Instructor Patstone and his Instrument of Knowledge.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's a far cry from that documentary that's now on YouTube which shows them getting medical attention but only if they've truly earned it.

Instructor Patstone and his Instrument of Knowledge.

I'd look it up but I'm good on Navy SEAL documentaries for a lifetime.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheWeedNumber posted:

I'd look it up but I'm good on Navy SEAL documentaries for a lifetime.

So are people who’ve never seen a SEAL documentary. :lol:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Honestly, I think it was talk about BUD/S in this thread that had me look it up.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

So are people who’ve never seen a SEAL documentary. :lol:

I read the shitshow of a book that was Lone Survivor. I gave that piece of poo poo Luttrell money. How do I wash this out of my pores?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TheWeedNumber posted:

I read the shitshow of a book that was Lone Survivor. I gave that piece of poo poo Luttrell money. How do I wash this out of my pores?

Lone Survivor is legitimately one of the worst books I've ever read, both from a stylistic and content perspective. Did the dude hire a ghost writer? Because if so, they should be fired.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheWeedNumber posted:

Was that the one where the guy says they took a vote on whether or not to kill a kid who had stumbled upon them like they have a democracy in combat?

I could be mixing poo poo together, I’ve been drinking hard this afternoon- I’m a little fuzzy on details.

gently caress all SEALs forever and ever, amen.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Was that the one where the guy says they took a vote on whether or not to kill a kid who had stumbled upon them like they have a democracy in combat?

I could be mixing poo poo together, I’ve been drinking hard this afternoon- I’m a little fuzzy on details.

gently caress all SEALs forever and ever, amen.

Not only is it that book, I remember he bitched about the liberal media for pages upon pages for being the reason they couldn’t kill kids and that not killing the kid is the reason what had happened to them happened. And also that all of his teammates banged out with the Taliban like loving G’s.

Edit: to recap on this one, my recollection of this book, especially the last sentence, is such that the backstory of comic book character “Barracuda” by Garth Ennis is more believable to me. Especially when he joins the gang. I’m not gonna say it but a cursory Google search will tell you. The trials and tribulations of the “HNKs” is more real to me than Luttrell’s bullshit rear end story.

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 10, 2022

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

psydude posted:

Lone Survivor is legitimately one of the worst books I've ever read, both from a stylistic and content perspective. Did the dude hire a ghost writer? Because if so, they should be fired.

Same. It was not what I was expecting to say the least. The only thing worse than lone survivor was a book on Carlos Hathcock where the author put in a fictional made up dialogue excerpt of some VC woman torturing a GI or some poo poo. It was comical. It couldn’t have been more stereotypical or more than a lil bit of jerkoff wishfulfillment. It was there specifically to make the reader giddy in the pants for Carlos’s next kill, the infamous VC she-bitch. The book, IIRC is Marine Sniper: 93 confirmed kills by Charles Henderson. Apparently what I read was “historical fiction.” Lmfao

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 10, 2022

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

TheWeedNumber posted:

Not only is it that book, I remember he bitched about the liberal media for pages upon pages for being the reason they couldn’t kill kids and that not killing the kid is the reason what had happened to them happened. And also that all of his teammates banged out with the Taliban like loving G’s.

Edit: to recap on this one, my recollection of this book, especially the last sentence, is such that the backstory of comic book character “Barracuda” by Garth Ennis is more believable to me. Especially when he joins the gang. I’m not gonna make it but a cursory Google search will tell you. The trials and tribulations of the “HNKs” is more real to me than Luttrell’s bullshit rear end story.

There’s also the psychic link between twins in the beginning.

The actual AAR written by the Marines about the OP really cuts down the mythos. They decided to nap, got walked up on by the kid. They made a big show of it instead of quietly walking up the ridge line with him to call for exfil. Then they got ambushed by 8-12 Taliban, killing at most two of them. He immediately threw himself off the side of the ridge during the tic, and that’s the only reason he lived.

Then he made up a story after the fact, made millions of dollars, and has had other seals talk about how much of a hero he is.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

There’s also the psychic link between twins in the beginning.

The actual AAR written by the Marines about the OP really cuts down the mythos. They decided to nap, got walked up on by the kid. They made a big show of it instead of quietly walking up the ridge line with him to call for exfil. Then they got ambushed by 8-12 Taliban, killing at most two of them. He immediately threw himself off the side of the ridge during the tic, and that’s the only reason he lived.

Then he made up a story after the fact, made millions of dollars, and has had other seals talk about how much of a hero he is.

And got a Navy Cross, while the LT got the Medal of Honor. World’s finest Navy amirite? Thought SEALs were built tougher than that too. They only got done in by a squad? drat they suck for elite troops. Guys like Jocko Willink make em sound real competent and able to bark as well as bite poo poo above their weight class.

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 10, 2022

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
My dad was an Army SF officer that deployed to Afghanistan with JSOC when it was Seal Team 6's turn over there, and he came away super unimpressed. Never had anything good to say about them, and they consistently made tactical choices that he considered utterly baffling.

In regards to military books, I haven't read one since before I joined the Army. Something about actually being in the Army just completely killed my interest in those kind of books.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheWeedNumber posted:

And got a Navy Cross, while the LT got the Medal of Honor. World’s finest Navy amirite? Thought SEALs were built tougher than that too. They only got done in by a squad? drat they suck for elite troops. Guys like Jocko Willink make em sound real competent and able to bark as well as bite poo poo above their weight class.

Ahh yeah, that’s the stuff.

We should just increase the size of the USMC by 20%-45% and chop up the SEAL mission set to the Marines, and Army.

I bet you could keep the same bottom line numbers for the Department of the Navy or at least in the same ball park.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

the AARs on what Luttrell's team did was just wtf central. say, do you need spare batteries for the radios when you're going out on a mission? nah, whatever. should we do anything to sanitize our infil site? probably not, who cares? hey, we're totally compromised on a special recon mission during the middle of the day, does this constitute aborting? no way!

if I remember right one report stated they found Luttrell's weapon just abandoned without a round even having been expended, as well. just incredible TTP.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Luttrell might be even dumber than Matt Taibbi. That's hard to do.

Speaking of which, Matty T is dropping the Twitter Files on Trump's banning and it's pretty clear he's sub-literate.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

maffew buildings posted:

the AARs on what Luttrell's team did was just wtf central. say, do you need spare batteries for the radios when you're going out on a mission? nah, whatever. should we do anything to sanitize our infil site? probably not, who cares? if I remember right one report stated they found Luttrell's weapon just abandoned without a round even having been expended, as well. just incredible TTP.

Take a set of actual gangsters from any street gang in America and they would have at least banged out with the Taliban. They might have actually killed more people shooting sideways than the SEALs managed to kill on purpose. Paintballers and airsoft nerds would have had a higher body count. Kids drafted based on laser tag high scores into the Young Marines and sent into an active combat zone would have did a better job than these SEALs did. Smdh, and people think their trident is worth a poo poo.

Edit: snoop from the wire actually has bodies behind her name. She woulda killed more Taliban than the SEALs. Just her. No one else.

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 10, 2022

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Luttrell might be even dumber than Matt Taibbi. That's hard to do.

Speaking of which, Matty T is dropping the Twitter Files on Trump's banning and it's pretty clear he's sub-literate.

Who? Like what’s this dudes claim to shitbag fame?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TheWeedNumber posted:

Who? Like what’s this dudes claim to shitbag fame?

He worked for self-proclaimed rapist/journalist Mark Ames in 90s Russia then wrote some articles about lovely bankers circa 2008 which got him lefty cred and now he's gone full Glenn Greenwald.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

the fact that they have all that training and couldn't figure out 'hang sesh/hike with the guys who found us until exfil arrives' and aborted is the utterly stupidest thing ever, but they also didn't bring spare batteries for comms so :shrug:

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

maffew buildings posted:

the fact that they have all that training and couldn't figure out 'hang sesh/hike with the guys who found us until exfil arrives' and aborted is the utterly stupidest thing ever, but they also didn't bring spare batteries for comms so :shrug:

High speed low drag *puts on Oakley mirrorshades*

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He worked for self-proclaimed rapist/journalist Mark Ames in 90s Russia then wrote some articles about lovely bankers circa 2008 which got him lefty cred and now he's gone full Glenn Greenwald.

The first Google result I got brought me to Reddit and the thread told me all I need to know. Yikes.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

TheWeedNumber posted:

Take a set of actual gangsters from any street gang in America and they would have at least banged out with the Taliban. They might have actually killed more people shooting sideways than the SEALs managed to kill on purpose. Paintballers and airsoft nerds would have had a higher body count. Kids drafted based on laser tag high scores into the Young Marines and sent into an active combat zone would have did a better job than these SEALs did. Smdh, and people think their trident is worth a poo poo.

Edit: snoop from the wire actually has bodies behind her name. She woulda killed more Taliban than the SEALs. Just her. No one else.

I firmly maintain that nerf war is a perfectly acceptable training exercise for the inevitable liberal uprising. :colbert:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The thing that trips me out is they should have already had a plan for that exact situation, considering Bravo Two Zero. I know we did.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bulletsponge13 posted:

The thing that trips me out is they should have already had a plan for that exact situation, considering Bravo Two Zero. I know we did.

My face when the infantry has a better plan than SPECIAL OPERATORS of NAVAL SPECIAL WARFARE. See in the navy your rank is not just petty officer 1st class or chief fuckknuckles. You’re HM1 or SO1 or whatever two letter rate+# for the enlisted types. #justnavythings

Edit: To cover the chiefs, for the case of SEALs its SOC, SOCS or SOCM, then the warfare designator (SEAL, FMF, GOATC, whatever) if they ever earned some cool pin, etc. Basically what I’m saying is it’s probably not that much of a linguistic stretch to call a Master Chief in the SEALs a “succ-em”. Just gently caress that O up and fire away fam.

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Coasterphreak posted:

I firmly maintain that nerf war is a perfectly acceptable training exercise for the inevitable liberal uprising. :colbert:

I read that orson Scott card book and was really loving confused where the liberals got their robot power armour and mecha from. I guess they had MIT put up the suits in their spare time.