Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Truga posted:

he did bring balance tho. the only jedis that survived were yoda and luke, 2 jedi vs 2 sith :v:

this is leia erasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

he did bring balance tho. the only jedis that survived were yoda and luke, 2 jedi vs 2 sith :v:

yeah but there are two emperors, the one we see in the original movies is a clone. so three siths

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I always thought that Star Trek tried to depict a more enlightened humanity.

Since then I've noticed that ST:Entrprise, the lovely 00's Star Trek, outright justifies torturing prisoners in their 3rd season (circa 2003), that the entire TOS is just a series of cheap jabs at the USSR. The wool has fallen from my eyes.

From that persoective, the current discussion about star wars doesn't surprise me, what can they represent but the status quo? It's probably not even intentional, more like muscle memory.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I think the pop culture thread had some links where they discussed how even liberal media has no solutions. only stasis and status quo

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

this is leia erasure

That's because good-thinking people aren't fans of incest.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dawncloack posted:

Since then I've noticed that ST:Entrprise, the lovely 00's Star Trek, outright justifies torturing prisoners in their 3rd season (circa 2003), that the entire TOS is just a series of cheap jabs at the USSR. The wool has fallen from my eyes.

From that persoective, the current discussion about star wars doesn't surprise me, what can they represent but the status quo? It's probably not even intentional, more like muscle memory.

Enterprise has 9/11 poisoning

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

Enterprise has 9/11 poisoning

The 00s were a very different time.

Depending on who you were this was either hilarious, terrible taste or instant rabies inducing. Imagine an equivalent of that today, the resultant jokes and the general reaction.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't make a cake but I did make this tribute in Everquest Landmark (lol that scam).

At least one streamer found it at the time and their chat was upset. I don't know why. I never got around to making the body outlines on the ground.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Dawncloack posted:

By favorite TOS was when they rescued some old friend of Kirk's and he off-handedly solves some complex math problem while in sick bay, and Spock's like, "Captain, we need to kill this guy within the next twenty minutes or he'll take over the ship." Based on that one thing. And he was right.

I choose to believe that one's about strangling fascism in the cradle and the consequences of not doing so in the name of liberal morality (Bones you wuss).

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 14:01 on Dec 9, 2022

sube
Nov 7, 2022

https://twitter.com/leftyscumbags/status/1600986667942572033?s=46&t=I2eBpzMgr-yjVPDztVzIQQ

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

crepeface posted:

I think the pop culture thread had some links where they discussed how even liberal media has no solutions. only stasis and status quo

All the dumb superhero poo poo is the worst for this. People with amazing abilities running around but their world in the absence of a villain is exactly like ours? Come the gently caress on.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lmao blue eyes white president

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Entertainment isn't praxis, who knew

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Orange Devil posted:

All the dumb superhero poo poo is the worst for this. People with amazing abilities running around but their world in the absence of a villain is exactly like ours? Come the gently caress on.

they are super liberals.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I've been so out of touch with everything that's been going on with this stuff until someone I know said recently that Russia was 'cheating' at the 'war' and I was a bit confused. Did I missed anything of note lately? I kinda assume that Russia just got some victories lately or something like that

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
😂😂😂

https://twitter.com/a_picazo/status/1601064203309105152

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

I've been so out of touch with everything that's been going on with this stuff until someone I know said recently that Russia was 'cheating' at the 'war' and I was a bit confused. Did I missed anything of note lately? I kinda assume that Russia just got some victories lately or something like that

Nope, you didn't miss anything.

Edit: Things have mostly been the same since the start of september. There, had to look up some dates.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 15:06 on Dec 9, 2022

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Orange Devil posted:

Imagine how powerless a real superhero would be against the actual villains in this world

Sorry everyone Captain Planet is spending the remainder of actionable time for climate in jail for violating ag gag

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Star Trek managed to adopt this mantle of progressivism because the opening premise was that it already was this post-scarcity, multiracial, democratic confederation from the word-go

Any attempt at Star Trek to depict what it was like to FORM the United Federation of Planets shatters the illusion because it just ends up being American foreign policy, in space

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
All capeshit is copaganda

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://news.church.ua/2022/12/08/dajte-vidspivati-sina-mati-zagiblogo-zaxisnika-navkolishki-prosit-rejderiv-pcu-ne-zaxoplyuvati-xram-video/

quote:

A woman who defended the Assumption Church in the village of Tarasivka (Kyiv region) from capture had a son killed in the war. Due to the ambitions of the OCU raiders, the funeral of the Hero in his native church was in danger of being disrupted. This is reported by the Information and Educational Department of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.

On December 7, 2022, activists of the "OCU" together with the Teroborona broke into the Assumption Church in the village of Tarasivka, in the Kyiv region. These illegal actions took place under the leadership of the head of the Boyarsk TG, Oleksandr Zarubin. Having learned about the raider's attempt to capture the church, the UOC believers came to protect their shrine, however, the Teroborona blocked the parishioners' entrance to the church and began to use brute physical force against them.

Despite this, the UOC religious community still managed to defend its church. After the provocations of the "OCU" ended, the believers went to their church, served an akathist and a prayer.

Among the women who suffered from the aggression of the supporters of the "OCU" and Teroboron was Oleksandra Krusyan, the mother of a soldier of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Volodymyr Krusyan.

"The Teroboron soldiers beat her, although she said: "Guys, what are you doing? My child is near Bakhmut, and you stand here and push women." She asked them, begged them not to commit these criminal acts," said Tetyana Paraschak, an eyewitness to the events.

When Ms. Oleksandra was still on the territory of the temple, she received a phone call from a man who told her to return home immediately. Arriving at her home, she heard terrible news - her son Volodymyr had died in the war.

On the morning of December 8, representatives of the "OCU" again began to stage provocations. Representatives of Channel 5 came to support them.

The mother of the deceased Hero was forced to kneel down and ask the organizers of the riot, in particular the "cleric of the OCU" Andrii Khimyak, who calls himself "Father Kyprian", to stop committing lawlessness and let the fallen Hero die in his native church. During this, the Channel 5 journalist told her videographer to turn off the camera.

By now the disgraced raiders retreated. Divine services are held in the church and prayers are offered for the repose of the fallen Defender of Ukraine, the warrior Volodymyr. Despite this, the religious community of the Assumption Church is wary of provocations by the "OCU" and asks for prayer support.

At the numerous requests of believers and caring people, we are publishing the details of the mother of the fallen soldier Volodymyr:

This is the story from the other side I think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxZ8rxcOhso ?

I can't get their website to work, so not sure what they've written there.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Channel 5 gets around

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Weka posted:

they are super liberals.

Season one Arrow just straight up shot (like, lethally) rich people that were exploiting his city. They toned that poo poo down to standard Batman non-lethally punching homeless people levels quick.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/NatalieSmal/status/1601229958445424640

https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1601146941186117632

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

zelensky is too woke imo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Azov Defense League

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Organ Fiend posted:

Season one Arrow just straight up shot (like, lethally) rich people that were exploiting his city. They toned that poo poo down to standard Batman non-lethally punching homeless people levels quick.

arrow lol. what we really needed was another story about the child of a billionaire whose parents died tragically, ends up being trained by some secret martial artist in the mountains and returns to his city to fight crime. also talks in a husky voice for no reason.

did batman copy arrow, or did arrow copy batman?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Star Trek managed to adopt this mantle of progressivism because the opening premise was that it already was this post-scarcity, multiracial, democratic confederation from the word-go

Any attempt at Star Trek to depict what it was like to FORM the United Federation of Planets shatters the illusion because it just ends up being American foreign policy, in space

Which then circles back to "America is already great" and the complete undermining of the premise.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Spergin Morlock posted:

arrow lol. what we really needed was another story about the child of a billionaire whose parents died tragically, ends up being trained by some secret martial artist in the mountains and returns to his city to fight crime. also talks in a husky voice for no reason.

Arrow copied Batman I think. They did some story about him taking inspiration from Batman and showing off his Arrow-cave or whatever because it was kinda obvious where he had cribbed it from.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
Zelensky is my favorite Marvel superhero

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah, now that he has blue eyes I can't hate him!

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Orange Devil posted:

Futanari Damacy posted:

All capeshit is copaganda

:hai:

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Spergin Morlock posted:

I don't know enough comic book history to say, but in terms of recent history, Arrow is definitely the copy.

Thing is, in season 1 it wasn't a copy. He wasn't "fighting crime". He was just straight up killing the city's wealthy. It was the closest I've ever seen to a 'leftist' superhero.

Of course they stopped that before the end of season 1. I quit the show not too long after that.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

evilmiera posted:

Arrow copied Batman I think. They did some story about him taking inspiration from Batman and showing off his Arrow-cave or whatever because it was kinda obvious where he had cribbed it from.

Shut the gently caress up and get out

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

It's weird how both libs and right-wingers are obsessed with making him sound way cooler than he actually is...:thunk:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

what's goin on in ukraine

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

what's goin on in ukraine

Misery and death.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i heard that russia is doomed and putin is drinking in public and it's all falling apart

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Наблюдатель posted:

In 2023, certain rules and updated regulations will come into effect. They will concern the requirements for length of service and the design of pensions in general.

The pension reform will come into effect in a month's time:

Such rules were added to Pension Reform back in 2017 and will come into force in a month.

▪️ In 2023, in order to retire, you must have 30 years of service instead of 29 years.
▪️The retirement age will remain unchanged at 60.
▪️As a consequence, many Ukrainians will have nothing else to do but simply buyout one more year of service, or continue working until 63 or even 65 years of age.

The number of potential pensioners will decrease sharply

Senior researcher of the Institute of demography and social studies named after Ptitsa Lydia Tkachenko, pointed out that this requirement (one more year of work experience) will not be fulfilled by all Ukrainians. And not everyone will be able to buyout this year, because the sum is not insignificant (it is calculated taking into account the subsistence minimum).

Moreover, the seniority requirements will not stop here. One year will be added each year until 2028 inclusive. That is, in 2024, it will be at least 31 years of experience, in 2025, a minimum of 32 years of experience, and so on.

"It would be easier to raise the retirement age to 65 years and not torture people with criteria for length of service. Many people in the current conditions, there will not be enough length of service for a pension," - said Tkachenko.

Back in 2017, when this update was written into the reform, the Ministry of Social Policy believed that people would have enough seniority. That only 5% of Ukrainians would retire at age 65 and 45% at age 60.

"It was calculated that people would start earning seniority. But such a miracle did not happen, we do not see an increase in employment. Plus the pandemic, the crisis. It was a optimistic projection. In practice, 2/3 (66) %) may be left without a pension at age 60. The main thing is that no one knows with what length of service people will come. There is no data in the register until 2000," added the expert.

To all this added to the war, many people lost the opportunity to continue earning seniority.

Translated with https://www.deepl.com/Translator (free version)
(from t.me/nabludatels/26119, via tgsa)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pensions_in_Ukraine

quote:

The official retirement age was not changed, but requirements for the qualifying period did change. The original 15 year qualifying period was extended in 2018 to 25 with further increases until 2028 when it reaches 35 years. Retirees are to be allocated into 3 groups – 60, 63 and 65 years. The older the person, the fewer the requirements.[9][10][11]

Changes were introduced for public servants, judges, prosecutors, educators receiving special pensions. They lost the right to retire due to their age and their pension calculations receive no priority. Only military staff are eligible for "long-term-service" pensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i heard that russia is doomed and putin is drinking in public and it's all falling apart

He had a stroke and has Parkinsons, he has a lot to drink about.:(