Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

If either of you do end up getting the headset, don't forget to do the referral chain in this thread. When you activate the headset you'll get $30 funbucks to buy games, and when someone follows your link in the chain you'll get another $30.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm pimping Zuck's ponzi scheme, but $60 in free games for messing with a couple links is pretty sweet.

Where is this? I didn’t see it anywhere on the first page?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Bad Munki posted:

Okay, so looking at this option: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/meta-quest-2-resident-evil-4-bundle-with-beat-saber-128gb/6522220.p?skuId=6522220

Any consensus on 128 vs 256?

Elite strap a recommended add-on? I seem to recall it was at first.

Probably get her the case just for good measure, she likes to be tidy. Any other recommended accessories? I don’t expect her to do marathon sessions so I suspect we don’t need the battery pack, but if we do, her birthday’s in January.

The 128GB holds quite a lot of games and saves a bunch of money. The only downside is you'd need to eventually delete things you're not playing, but like the Steam store they can be re-downloaded as fast as your connection can go.

The Elite Strap (with battery, so it balances the weight towards the back of your head) is very nice, but a little pricey. I think people were recommending the Amazon knockoffs like BoboVR?

I have no idea if this one is any good, but it's one tenth the cost of the official strap, lol: https://www.amazon.com/TATAVR-Charging-Adjustable-Replacement-Accessories/dp/B0B2LSDZMK

RCarr posted:

Where is this? I didn’t see it anywhere on the first page?

It's a page back, this goon was next in line:

You'd make an account, click through their link, then activate your headset in that order. Then you get a link of your own and paste it here for the next person.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't know if anything's changed but the elite strap was pretty notorious for breaking, the strap would crack and in extreme cases break entirely. Although I just wrapped some electrical tape around the cracks and it's kept going fine, but better to avoid that entirely and go with something like the BoboVR headstrap.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I don't know if anything's changed but the elite strap was pretty notorious for breaking, the strap would crack and in extreme cases break entirely. Although I just wrapped some electrical tape around the cracks and it's kept going fine, but better to avoid that entirely and go with something like the BoboVR headstrap.

My elite strap broke in the box. I have a BoboVR headset now and it feels way more sturdy than the elite did. Plus the current version has a battery pack mount on the back and a magnetic battery to extend the natural battery life of the Quest and have a built in counter balance which makes it very comfortable.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

VD update

• Significant performance improvements with PCVR games (up to 20% depending on the game)
• Reduced micro-stutters (orange bars) with SteamVR game
• Added support for DualShock 4 controller and ability to choose the type of emulated gamepad
• Fixed latency with input when resuming a session
• Fixed framerate of VR games while not wearing headset or when disconnected
• This version and future versions going forward require internet connectivity to establish a connection to your computer. All traffic remains local.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ghostbusters (small) gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_SE2WfQiF8

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Where does VD sit in the grand scheme of things?

I need oculus sw on my PC
I have airlinik on the quest itself with its own desktop
I have steam VR on the PC, again with a desktop
I have the actual game itself on the PC

Where does it slot in/replace?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Roundboy posted:

Where does VD sit in the grand scheme of things?

I need oculus sw on my PC
I have airlinik on the quest itself with its own desktop
I have steam VR on the PC, again with a desktop
I have the actual game itself on the PC

Where does it slot in/replace?

Virtual Desktop is what you used before Airlink existed. It fills the same niche (providing a local server for wirelessly streaming PC VR games to your headset) but does it differently and in a lot of cases better than Airlink.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

VD update
• This version and future versions going forward require internet connectivity to establish a connection to your computer. All traffic remains local.

Why does it need an internet connection for local traffic?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Why does it need an internet connection for local traffic?

It's drm. Calling to the main server to see if you have a license, then allowing you to use it in your LAN.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

explosivo posted:

Virtual Desktop is what you used before Airlink existed. It fills the same niche (providing a local server for wirelessly streaming PC VR games to your headset) but does it differently and in a lot of cases better than Airlink.

The most specific case is that if you're only playing games through Steam you don't need to also have the Oculus launcher installed if you use VD.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

It's drm. Calling to the main server to see if you have a license, then allowing you to use it in your LAN.

Is VD piracy really that big of a thing? Seems like something that will cause more trouble for legit users

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Turin Turambar posted:

VD update

• Fixed framerate of VR games while not wearing headset or when disconnected

This is cool and I didn’t realise it was a problem caused by VD. When I’m playing my DCS campaign, sometimes I’ll die or complete the objective before all the other packages have finished and I’ll want to take the headset off and go for a smoke/get a drink while they complete. It’s always made everything run at quarter speed so it takes forever unless I keep the headset active. Old to know that’s been fixed.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is VD piracy really that big of a thing? Seems like something that will cause more trouble for legit users

No idea. The dev may be one of those 'every pirated copy means they are STEALING from me!'

Thread on reddit with him
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/zgx0jv/virtual_desktop_update_improved_pcvr_game/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

As someone in that thread points out, anyone who knows enough to pirate something for the Quest knows enough to disable or otherwise get around the DRM check so like most DRM all this ends up doing is impacting the legit customers.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

that's really poo poo and a turnoff for me personally

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Seems like something that will cause more trouble for legit users

DRM in a nutshell.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

My Index left controller's thumbstick is too damaged/defective to be able to play bonelab or similar games. It worked fine for boneworks, but it's degenerated over time. Is there some repair service I can send it to, or cheap replacement stick that can be put in, or anything like that?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I got a quest 2 and have been playing around with it for a week or so now.

I assumed that since I need reading glasses to see anything close to my face, I would need to use them for VR, and have been clumsily doing so this entire time.
Today I learned that was not true, and that I can see in the headset just fine without glasses.

Can somebody explain this sorcery to me? I can't read my phone screen if I put it up to my eyeballs, how can I see this VR world?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The ELI5 version is that there are lenses already in the headset that are doing their damndest to virtually "extend" the visuals you're seeing into the "distance". You need your regular glasses that you use to see normal life things because you're looking through the headset lenses designed to create a "normal life" view.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Compound is out on Quest. How is it? Any Steam owner?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bucnasti posted:

I assumed that since I need reading glasses to see anything close to my face, I would need to use them for VR, and have been clumsily doing so this entire time.
Today I learned that was not true, and that I can see in the headset just fine without glasses.

Can somebody explain this sorcery to me? I can't read my phone screen if I put it up to my eyeballs, how can I see this VR world?

The lenses focus the light such that it’s akin to looking at something more distant, I forget how far for the quest, like a couple meters? A few? Five? Not at all up against your face though. It’s like anti-reading glasses. Or mega reading glasses, I dunno.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Turin Turambar posted:

I like it but haven't honestly put a ton of time in it. The reloads are sorta simplified but each weapon kinda has its own gimmick and it's fun figuring it out on the fly. Runs felt long though if I remember correctly. I played it the week it came out and haven't touched it since so there may have been quite a few changes and improvements since then. Sorry it's a wishy washy answer but I remember enjoying it.

I do think it's a good fit for a native quest game though, for sure. Nothing seemed super graphically intensive.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Turin Turambar posted:

Fun for some runs, it has its style down and that works. Try the demo first if you can. Gun play mechanics is okay, it has some variety of guns but some frankly sucks. Enemy variations could be larger.
It has a some mutator/extra options and difficulty settings that you can play with with when normal mode gets boring. There are better rouge-like fps games out there like gunfire reborn, but for a vr game it’s decent.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Supradog posted:

Fun for some runs, it has its style down and that works. Try the demo first if you can. Gun play mechanics is okay, it has some variety of guns but some frankly sucks. Enemy variations could be larger.
It has a some mutator/extra options and difficulty settings that you can play with with when normal mode gets boring. There are better rouge-like fps games out there like gunfire reborn, but for a vr game it’s decent.

God drat I'd love a gunfire reborn VR mod.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Bucnasti posted:

As was mentioned you need glasses in VR if you can't see far way, not up close. The lenses mean you focus out in front of you, not like you are actually trying to resolve detail with screens that are a couple inches away from your eyes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

explosivo posted:

There is one. I haven't tried, but it's on the flat2vr discord
https://discord.com/invite/ZFSCSDe

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

njsykora posted:

The most specific case is that if you're only playing games through Steam you don't need to also have the Oculus launcher installed if you use VD.

Wait what? I couldn't get VD to see my quest until I at least had the software installed so the drivers and crap existed. Like, I don't have to run oculus home/software but I 10000000% had to install it.

If this changed recently, thank baby jesus for new users but I swear the last people I did a demo with on our game, they had to at a min install the software. Again I didn't have to log in, or even really run it after install, but drivers or some poo poo I guess?

Maybe I'm misremembering my reason for install pre airlink. But i swear to baby satan this was the case.

explosivo posted:

Rumor has it its pretty decent too. Join that discord.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

Wait what? I couldn't get VD to see my quest until I at least had the software installed so the drivers and crap existed. Like, I don't have to run oculus home/software but I 10000000% had to install it.

If this changed recently, thank baby jesus for new users but I swear the last people I did a demo with on our game, they had to at a min install the software. Again I didn't have to log in, or even really run it after install, but drivers or some poo poo I guess?

Maybe I'm misremembering my reason for install pre airlink. But i swear to baby satan this was the case.

Rumor has it its pretty decent too. Join that discord.

I did a recent Windows reinstall and didn't bother installing the Oculus launcher and VD launched stuff off Steam no problem.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

njsykora posted:

I did a recent Windows reinstall and didn't bother installing the Oculus launcher and VD launched stuff off Steam no problem.

Welp, Guess I'm gonna give it a go on my main PC then. I've kept my quest on my testing machine for this reason alone. Thats so loving weird tho I swear it required something from that dumbass software.

THX! :D

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Question Time posted:

My Index left controller's thumbstick is too damaged/defective to be able to play bonelab or similar games. It worked fine for boneworks, but it's degenerated over time. Is there some repair service I can send it to, or cheap replacement stick that can be put in, or anything like that?

I soldered in new ministicks but it was more challenging than expected. Even though I have relevant background and even though I have desoldering gear ended up having to buy the same desoldering/Chipquick kit from the vid below and it was still a struggle. Getting the old sticks off was a huge pita, and at first my right controller not working after reassembling. Disassembled and found stray solder bits had splashed around from the process that were causing shorts (tiny tiny bits) but after cleaning/inspecting board it's all good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDngL_xFFyQ

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

njsykora posted:

As someone in that thread points out, anyone who knows enough to pirate something for the Quest knows enough to disable or otherwise get around the DRM check so like most DRM all this ends up doing is impacting the legit customers.

Fwiw, Virtual Desktop was one of those “unpiratable” titles up until he turned off the DRM. (obviously not because it literally couldn’t be cracked - iirc it did some weird poo poo where the dev’s server acted as a middleman between the user and Oculus entitlement so the usual universal patchers didn’t work)

If I had to make a wild guess, he knee jerk brought back DRM after seeing the piracy numbers from Pico.

And yeah, this new version is amazing. AirLink still wins in image quality if you can max out the bitrate but VD seems to easily hold the performance crown now.

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

Question Time posted:

I had the same issue and got the controller RMA’d outside of warranty by filling a support ticket. They asked for a video showing the issue but after that it was painless. Try it.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I bought VD a while back, but I guess I'm going to have to look for a pirated version now

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

KinkyJohn posted:

I bought VD a while back, but I guess I'm going to have to look for a pirated version now

I own 4 copies of it now, two for two Q2 headsets, one on the Rift store and one on Steam. I don't blame Pico people for wanting to pirate it; I'm certain anyone with a Pico has paid for the app multiple times already.

I will say the guy, Guy, comes off like a dismissive shithead in his Discord even before he pulled any of this. I was rooting for ALVR to catch up to VD/AirPlay since it's open-source, but the development seems kinda stagnant.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

He was very nice and helpful when I struggled with a minor technical issue, and pretty engaged otherwise from what I've seen.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I've had my run in with his lovely dismissive side too. The behavior doesn't really surprise me.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

What's the deal with the Pico and VD? IsnVD not available on there?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

is Pico Europe + china app stores only ATM? maybe it's a regional thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
How do you go about adding external windows into a VR game? Like streamers being able to read their chat or something like that?

I'm playing DCS in Occulus VR mode and I'd like to be able to add a window with like a PDF viewer or maybe a youtube window so I can reference a tutorial while still wearing my face toaster.