Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
St David's always wins this conversation, a 20km local authority with less than 2000 people.

OwlFancier posted:

When it stops reupping its paperwork, happened to medway, whole place vanished into a pit overnight.

That entire thing was stupidity the whole way through. "Medway" is the river, there has never been a place (or city) called Medway. The signs going up in Gillingham (and getting a slap from ad standards) would be like if staines just decided to refer to itself as City of Thames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spangly A posted:

there has never been a place (or city) called Medway.

the paperwork is very ontologically powerful

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Barry Foster posted:

I live in Exeter which is a "city" of 125,000 people lol

That's a huge rear end city to my POV

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

would be like if staines just decided to refer to itself as City of Thames
I'd be fine with Rothley and Mountsorrel changing their name to the City of Soar-Woodcock

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
It's honestly pretty impressive the hold neoliberal ideology has on us collectively as a society. Like this shouldn't be a difficult sell - execs on hundreds of thousands a year happily deciding to cut pay for people on 20-odd grand. The Tories haven't even tried to pretend they're old school one nation paternalists for years, but we keep voting for them! It's actually so absurd it would be funny if it wasn't literally getting people killed.

I was discussing this with my partner yesterday but what exactly does someone like a uni vice chancellor or a CEO actually do? They act as the public face of the institution and sign off on stuff, but I can't help but imagine their day-to-day is mostly just dossing about sending a few emails then going to big fancy lunches on expenses to talk poo poo with other equally pointless people. I honestly can't imagine them ever doing actual work. Genuinely wild when you think about it, nice gravy train if you can get on it though.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Oh dear me posted:

Don't see why a party with less than half the vote should win, myself. It's Labour's fault they lost Scotland and would have to negotiate with the SNP.

No party ever wins more than 50% of the vote in any country, as a rule. That's why the Lib Dems have always been banging the drum about PR, it would make them perpetual kingmakers between the Tories and Labour.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

I mean that, arguably, is the point? They have 41% of the vote which is not an absolute majority, a representative electoral system should give them a large minority. If anything, producing majorities with minorities of the vote share is one of the things people complain about FPTP doing too much.

Sorry, I forgot to specify Labour. An 11% lead for the Tories would give them an overwhelming landslide, which is my point - albeit poorly made.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

I was discussing this with my partner yesterday but what exactly does someone like a uni vice chancellor or a CEO actually do?

Make decisions they wouldn’t make if they were paid less money.

There’s an essential core of neoliberalism that distinguishes it from other capitalism-based political ideologies. It is that _anyone can be upper class if they are simply given enough money_. As always, people naturally act in their own class interests. From that perspective, the amount of money required to ensure all of society’s decision-makers are financially upper classes is entirely affordable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

what exactly does someone like a uni vice chancellor or a CEO actually do?

vices, that's why it's called that.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ThomasPaine posted:

It's honestly pretty impressive the hold neoliberal ideology has on us collectively as a society. Like this shouldn't be a difficult sell - execs on hundreds of thousands a year happily deciding to cut pay for people on 20-odd grand. The Tories haven't even tried to pretend they're old school one nation paternalists for years, but we keep voting for them! It's actually so absurd it would be funny if it wasn't literally getting people killed.

I was discussing this with my partner yesterday but what exactly does someone like a uni vice chancellor or a CEO actually do? They act as the public face of the institution and sign off on stuff, but I can't help but imagine their day-to-day is mostly just dossing about sending a few emails then going to big fancy lunches on expenses to talk poo poo with other equally pointless people. I honestly can't imagine them ever doing actual work. Genuinely wild when you think about it, nice gravy train if you can get on it though.

I was watching a short video on youtube last night about an artist in Brooklyn who basically conned her way into being shown around the absolute premium apartments in New York by pretending to be a billionaire's wife. There are a bunch of weird, incredibly skinny, incredibly tall tower blocks springing up all over Manhattan, most taller than the Empire State. They're mostly unoccupied - used for 'investment' and that - but also a lot of billionaires do apparently enjoy having a fourth or fifth home in them so they can play at being the Eye of Sauron from time to time.

She would record while she was being shown around by these creepy dudes who would whisper in her ear like loving satan about how the marble in the bathroom is from exactly the most fashionable areas and how the oak floors are from exactly the right trees. How it would be unconscionable to stand for less. How her husband would only want her to be genuinely comfortable and not have to suffer anything less.

At the end of the video the artist noted how these towers full of utterly spoiled babies are surrounded by homeless people. How every time one of these abominations springs up it permanently cuts off daylight for a certain section of the population below, leaving them in perpetual shadow.

And apart from the injustice and cruelty of wealth inequality what really offended me was how stupid it is. It's Absurd. It's just a silly thing to exist and it's a profound waste of our time and effort and resources and lives.

It's like society (or the tiny group who run it, at least) is having an extended psychotic episode or is in the middle of a period of terrible heroin addiction or something.

I don't know when, but one day we're all going to wake up and think 'wait a minute, that was all complete and utter bullshit, what the gently caress?? What were we thinking???'.

And then maybe we'll remember what's actually Real. Like love and art and music and community and housing everyone and feeding everyone and thinking for the sake of thinking.

But I don't know when, and I don't think that it will be soon.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 9, 2022

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

jiggerypokery posted:

As someone who hasn't followed megan and harry and anything to do with that one tiny bit more than is imposed on me by existing on this cursed earth...

https://twitter.com/JolyonRubs/status/1370090901121478662

It turns out harry cucked peirs morgan and everything suddenly makes sense

Worse than that, this is coming out of Morgan’s mouth and is bad enough but what actually happened is that when she was on TV he would repeatedly invite her on to his television show. She couldn’t say no as it was done via work and so she had to sit there doing the fake friend thing they do on talk shows.

This is why he thinks they are friends. Fast forward and he sees her at a charity event starts being creepy as gently caress insisting that she has to go out with him and all sorts, she gets scared and runs into the next room in absolute bits and right into Prince Harry who asks her if she ok, she says no so he makes security keep Morgan away from her and that’s how they met.

It is the most modern princess fairy tail you can think of.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that's all I do pay attention to, no time for rich people or most media or the news. I don't know how people live otherwise, it's all fake and stupid and full of contemptible assholes that I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire. Ties into the discussion about broadcast TV and poo poo. I don't get how people watch it without brains made of pudding, that godawful rich people stink is suffused throughout so much of society and I avoid it like the plague because it just makes my skin crawl.

But yeah there's apparently a big chunk of people who are obsessed with it, and I don't understand it at all.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
It's definitely a fairy tale.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I mean that's all I do pay attention to, no time for rich people or most media or the news. I don't know how people live otherwise, it's all fake and stupid and full of contemptible assholes that I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire. Ties into the discussion about broadcast TV and poo poo. I don't get how people watch it without brains made of pudding, that godawful rich people stink is suffused throughout so much of society and I avoid it like the plague because it just makes my skin crawl.

But yeah there's apparently a big chunk of people who are obsessed with it, and I don't understand it at all.

I think its all a bit of weird aspiration, wish it was me, or they think it IS them. Because how else do you loving cope with following martin lewis' directions for how to save money by cooking baked potatoes by calculating your kwh usage of your microwave vs your oven.

Life is so goddamn depressing, thinking you could be the next winner of bargain hunt or that you too could have a modest budget of 600 grand for a second cotswold home. That or laughing at the cunts as they spend it all on a subsiding horse manure pit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That reminds me of something else that's been baffling me lately. It seems mad how much people gamble. If I'm in the queue at the kiosk in a supermarket more often than not there's someone in front of me just spending like, 15 quid or more on scratchcards and lottery tickets. And it's just crazy. Surely if you spend that much you must see that you keep losing it. I get that gambling addiction is a thing but that's a significant amount of money. loving garbage society that has people that desperate to get out of it that it has them spending money that would actually make a difference on a hopeless bid to get out of it.

Makes me think of all those scumbag labour MPs in bed with the gambling lobbyists. Not enough rope in the world to right the misery they bring.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

You're on a tear tonight Owlie

And I like it

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

That reminds me of something else that's been baffling me lately. It seems mad how much people gamble. If I'm in the queue at the kiosk in a supermarket more often than not there's someone in front of me just spending like, 15 quid or more on scratchcards and lottery tickets. And it's just crazy. Surely if you spend that much you must see that you keep losing it. I get that gambling addiction is a thing but that's a significant amount of money. loving garbage society that has people that desperate to get out of it that it has them spending money that would actually make a difference on a hopeless bid to get out of it.

Makes me think of all those scumbag labour MPs in bed with the gambling lobbyists. Not enough rope in the world to right the misery they bring.

Guy in front of me won 61 quid yesterday, not bad.

But yeah it's symptomatic of desperation (maybe not on an individual level, but societal) and absolutely stinks.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

People have done that forever.

20 years ago I had my first job in the local co-op and you’d get them in after a successful night at the bingo spending the lot on scratch cards.

Quite often you’d get one or two of them stood there for about 45 minutes scratching them off, cashing the winners back in for more scratch cards and going round again until they were tapped out.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OwlFancier posted:

Just think of gambling and paying for the rush of being about to gain or lose something

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's just nice that at least there are some other people out there who get it, really in short supply IRL for me so it's not fun just seeing all this poo poo and being surrounded by people who are at best blind to it, and at worst enthusiastic supporters of it. Had the unpleasant experience of having to spend time with family at a wake a few weeks ago and listen to them all get pissed and go on about how we need to bring boris back and you can't tax people it'll be just like the 1970s when everyone was on strike and by the way i don't believe in homeless people they all make a fortune you shouldn't give them money... and that combined with having to facilitate maximum xmas consumption season and the weather being shite has had me in a foul mood for weeks.

I really do wish there were something to be positive about. I'll go dig up the duck video I made the other day.

Rarity posted:

Just think of gambling and paying for the rush of being about to gain or lose something

But like, I've seen people not even seemingly experience that, like they'll just tell the cashier to scratch a bunch of them off for them, or my grandmother when she was alive on the fruit machines just shoveling money into it with a completely blank look. If there's feeling there I can't see it. I assume that's the addiction part but that's why it seems hosed up. And like, if you didn't spend the money you would have the money. That's the thing it's depriving people of the actual benefit of the money, you could buy yourself two lots of fish and chips for £15 and they would last longer, feed you, and surely be more enjoyable.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 9, 2022

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

UKMT, what’s the easiest way to get your hands on Scottish bank notes that isn’t going to Scotland

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OwlFancier posted:

But like, I've seen people not even seemingly experience that, like they'll just tell the cashier to scratch a bunch of them off for them, or my grandmother when she was alive on the fruit machines just shoveling money into it with a completely blank look. If there's feeling there I can't see it. I assume that's the addiction part but that's why it seems hosed up. And like, if you didn't spend the money you would have the money. That's the thing it's depriving people of the actual benefit of the money, you could buy yourself two lots of fish and chips for £15 and they would last longer, feed you, and surely be more enjoyable.

When you're doing it repetitively like that you enter a flow state so you're trying to maintain that for as long as possible. It's a form of escapism just like getting pissed or getting high and that's where the addiction comes in

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

you could buy yourself two lots of fish and chips for £15

Where's this?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Where's this?

I reflexively initially posted 3 but yeah... You can still get a fish and small chips for about £7.50 in some of the shops near me, though it's on the way up.

Here, duck, who can get bag of food the size of themselves for £1, the jammy gits.

https://i.imgur.com/o0fKnM8.mp4

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Rarity posted:

When you're doing it repetitively like that you enter a flow state so you're trying to maintain that for as long as possible. It's a form of escapism just like getting pissed or getting high and that's where the addiction comes in

Yeah, it's this. After a pint the ritual takes over

Edit lol at the typo, I dunno how my phone did a freudian slip, maybe it's trying to tell on me. That was meant to be 'point' but read it either way

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 9, 2022

Mebh
May 10, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Where's this?

Sheffield chippy near me is 5 quid for a large cod 2.20 for large chips.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/avgJWYvFHqRMkN6t7

Plus its genuinely great. The guy has a brand new Mercedes and two new staff too so can't be doing that badly despite the fuel increases he was telling me about last month!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Could be worse.

Could be buying loot boxes on the latest mobile waifu simulator.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Could be worse.

Could be buying loot boxes on the latest mobile waifu simulator.

I worked on one of those that was making $50m a month at peak. Absolutely sickening to see people burning money due to sunk cost.

Our CEO at one point presented it as a good thing that one of our users crashed their car twice because they were playing while driving...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like to think of browing moddb as being like a loot box except it's free and some of the things you find are extremely weird.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

I worked on one of those that was making $50m a month at peak. Absolutely sickening to see people burning money due to sunk cost.

Our CEO at one point presented it as a good thing that one of our users crashed their car twice because they were playing while driving...

It's really the most pointless thing since the value is completely artificial. It's a rare drop because that's the drop % in some spreadsheet. Someone fatfingers a few keys and every single drop could be a "rare".

At least with gambling there's that infinitesimal chance of you winning the Euromillions or whatever and (having a chance) to change your life. Buying lootboxes for your anime waifu will never amount to anything. It's not like you can sell it. Literally worse than bitcoin/Nfts and that's saying something.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

History Comes Inside! posted:

UKMT, what’s the easiest way to get your hands on Scottish bank notes that isn’t going to Scotland

...why? I imagine you can probably buy them for a tiny markup on ebay or something. Send me the money and I'll post you whatever one you want though I guess. They are nicer than the English ones imho, the RBS ones have really cure little critters on the back of them.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Here, duck, who can get bag of food the size of themselves for £1, the jammy gits.

https://i.imgur.com/o0fKnM8.mp4

Unmute for enjoyment. :)

------

I stopped doing the lottery when they put the price up, i won near bugger all while i was doing it.

What gambling buzz i get nowadays comes from the monthly Premium Bonds draw, the odd £25 is a nice little plus when i'm doing the shopping. :bitcoin:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unfortunately a lot of that value is socially constructed, having rare items helps you stand out to other people in the game, so it is essentially commodifying clout.

Real fashion does this as well. I have an old charity shop sheepskin that is an extremely functional bit of clothing but it isn't fashionable (i mean it probably is in some circles) so its value as a fashion item is far lower than clothing with objectively less use value.

I guess online is a bit unique in that objects have literally no use value outside of the socially constructed value but we do already have things that have wildly different exchange value to their use value. It is perhaps more insidious that control of the social environment by the game company and pushing people there via marketing creates an environment where only their approved products can allow people to express individuality.

Gives the vague impression of inviting people to live in a prison and then selling them variations of the orange boilersuit. Foucault presumably would have Thoughts.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

If you're in London, go to Euston Station & wait for the Glasgow train to come in and stand with a sign offering to swap Scottish notes for English?

OwlFancier posted:

The only reason I buy a lottery ticket is for a brief several hour injection of hope. I'm realistic enough to know I'll ever win but for £2/2.50 a shot i have a few hours until the draw when you can imagine the only circumstance possible where my material circumstance will improve.

Let's be honest, the odds of me winning £10m aren't any longer than of the establishment allowing Jeremy Corbyn to be PM but we all believed that was possible.

Look, you shouldn't do the lottery, it's a waste of money, a tax on the poor. But gently caress, life is bleak.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My nan was a proper cockney, she'd have been 120 if she were alive today and her kids thought she rented her house, grandkids knew differently though because we were cover for her being a pro-bingo player and slot machine shark.

She'd take us to a pub half way across the country and pretend to be the old dear on a day trip out with the grandchildren while watching people play the machines, she'd memorised the combinations and tells on the old ones, but flat out had the cheats for the new ones. There she sat, watching some young man pour all his wages into the machine, pick her moment and totter up to him and go "scuse me young man you've been on there a long toime can hoi ave a go" and then within seconds hit the jackpot with a "oooh aint hoi a lacky gall?!"

slot machines are literally a mugs game, next time you are in a pub pay attention to who is watching the people playing the machine and not the player.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

...why? I imagine you can probably buy them for a tiny markup on ebay or something. Send me the money and I'll post you whatever one you want though I guess. They are nicer than the English ones imho, the RBS ones have really cure little critters on the back of them.

It’s a half-comedy half-sincere gift for my in-laws. My father in law is Scottish but hasn’t been able to go home for a while so we’re paying for them to go up next year, so I wanna get them their ‘spending money’ the same way you’d buy someone going to the continent an envelope full of euros.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My grandmother used to try that but she wasn't noticeably good at it, at least it didn't make her any money.

I dunno, I can only say I'm glad that gambling has always felt like putting money into the entropy machine to make entropy go up faster. House always wins, mathematically certain, life is a game where lots of people want you to give them your money and you win by avoiding doing that as much as possible.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Norman

Norman!!!

it's all these foreigners bringing their exotic germs here that's causing these throat infections, Norman!!

it's that Richie sue-nack, Norman, letting them all in

this had better clear for the carol service Norman!! that lot can't sing, Norman, they don't know how to project!!!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

It’s a half-comedy half-sincere gift for my in-laws. My father in law is Scottish but hasn’t been able to go home for a while so we’re paying for them to go up next year, so I wanna get them their ‘spending money’ the same way you’d buy someone going to the continent an envelope full of euros.

If there are any banks with actual physical branches inside Kings Cross or Euston station, you could try going in and asking if they have any, if London is a place you are ever in? Or try a branch of Natwest wherever you are and see what they say. I've no idea if being able to swap English notes for Scottish is something they'd do, but they might be able to sort it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

It's really the most pointless thing since the value is completely artificial. It's a rare drop because that's the drop % in some spreadsheet. Someone fatfingers a few keys and every single drop could be a "rare".

At least with gambling there's that infinitesimal chance of you winning the Euromillions or whatever and (having a chance) to change your life. Buying lootboxes for your anime waifu will never amount to anything. It's not like you can sell it. Literally worse than bitcoin/Nfts and that's saying something.

To be honest most developers don't realise this either. The number of times I get asked by a quest designer or producer something like "oh but we need a rarity 3 reward" or "can we use that for the quest? Its rarity is wrong" and i just change a single variable and they act like i did a witchcraft.

Its entirely a made up construct just like money and even scarcity is entirely a made up notion.

So you have the uber rare mega armour of the angels? Cool so do 50 thousand other players. You just have a matchmaking flag that means you never randomly enter a hub with them so you feel more special.