Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I only ever lost the crew the first time around, as I figured that inter-mission part was the best time to do quest clean-up. Yes, the game put up plenty of red flags telling me I was wrong, but I'm not that smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
definitely not regretting skipping bayo 3 right now. why is it so dour? why is every enemy a teal-accented iPod monster?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Playing it is still great, but you know how Pat's complaints on stuff are always nitpicky and silly? he was spot on with Bayo 3. I still ended up on the side of liking the game overall, but I agreed with pretty much everything he's said. Specially that the best enemies are the returning ones in the hidden verses.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I put on Woolie's me2 vid of the Arrival dlc. He gets to the part where you're surrounded and have to take a scripted loss... He pauses the game for a while planning his move, unpauses, gets shot in the side repeatedly cuz he's not in cover at all, fires his shotgun repeatedly at long range... Gets up, gets shot in the back and gingerly jogs over to the enemy while firing and missing every shotgun shot (he's played 90hrs of vanguard why is he jogging???) finally kills the enemy, dances around getting shot by everyone, and only then uses biotic charge at 1hp on an enemy in the middle of a giant crowd ,then is confused why he took so much damage. Absolutely incredible stuff :dogstare:

I feel like I'm frank grimes watching homer simpson :lol:

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 30, 2022

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Reggie is back on the controller for ME3

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

theCalamity posted:

the return of the CASH system

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Really? Why did they decide that?

Not necessarily for or against it, but I'm kind of surprised woolie doesn't want to be on the controller himself for ME3.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Good

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

They didn’t say why or I didn’t hear it.

Too bad ME3 has less dialogue options and way less investigatory options

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I bet it's because Woolie, via decades of Pat talking about ME3, knows too much to make the experience as fresh as possible. Reggie knows next to nothing, especially about Kai Leng.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Tae posted:

I bet it's because Woolie, via decades of Pat talking about ME3, knows too much to make the experience as fresh as possible. Reggie knows next to nothing, especially about Kai Leng.

This sounds right. I wonder how much of the ME3 controversy missed Reggie.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

theCalamity posted:

Leaving Reggie to deal with the consequences of deleting the genophage research so Eve dies.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

From what I remember about final fantasy tactic’s plot the magic book was evil and didn’t transport the protagonist into another world but project an idealized version of one based on all of their favorite game final fantasy. It does this to keep them placid because it’s slowly draining the soul of every person under it’s spell.

Also a ton of people got shafted on the conversion by becoming the monsters you spend all game killing

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Welp, time to welcome back Red Shepard, humanity's best mistake.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

DrManiac posted:

From what I remember about final fantasy tactic’s plot the magic book was evil and didn’t transport the protagonist into another world but project an idealized version of one based on all of their favorite game final fantasy. It does this to keep them placid because it’s slowly draining the soul of every person under it’s spell.

Also a ton of people got shafted on the conversion by becoming the monsters you spend all game killing

yeah, Marche did nothing wrong.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The weird thing is not only does the book in A2 ACTUALLY transport the user to Ivalice, characters from Advance 1 are there are demonstrate memory of the events of it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh no, it's a St Elsewhere situation

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Oh right, Woolie isn't going to be very happy about having to scan and run on the galaxy map when they get to it.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Of course Woolie would like that. I want to see him playing it on stream and immediately start labbing the game. I mean this unironically

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I am having a Very Good night and I just started thinking about the clip of pat pattling kai lenf and i am going to look for it and when I find it you I will post it and then you will watch it and you will laugh heartily and beautifully like a siren

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeSDivH_rhM&t=4305s

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

I am having a Very Good night and I just started thinking about the clip of pat pattling kai lenf and i am going to look for it and when I find it you I will post it and then you will watch it and you will laugh heartily and beautifully like a siren

Woolie and Reggie saw Kai Leng for the first time recently and it'll be funny when his full glory is revealed.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I no joke think woolie and reggie are going to have more fun with mass effect 3 than they are with bayo 3

like they already seem pretty done with that game

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

I’ve never knew the choice between Chakwas and Michel could be so hilarious. Reggie’s a loving horn dog lmao

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

theCalamity posted:

Reggie’s a loving horn dog lmao
having an existential crisis stuck on the 'commit to Liara Y/N?' screen for 15 mins while Woolie dances a jig of schadenfreudic glee in the background lmao

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Woolie spending an hour agonizing over a decision, working through his logic at the most granular detail

Vs

Reggie spending an hour agonizing over who to romance because his dick is overstimulated and still wants to try new and exotic holes

At any rate, ME4 better allow a polycule goddamn it. Take some inspiration from The Expanse!

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

theCalamity posted:

At any rate, ME4 better allow a polycule goddamn it. Take some inspiration from The Expanse!

Polycules should always be an option

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Red/Purple Shepard playing the longest-form game of gently caress/Marry/Kill in the universe is always fantastic.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

If ME4 comes out it will probably be Starship Troopers levels of right wing.

The books, not the movie.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Clip-On Fedora posted:

If ME4 comes out it will probably be Starship Troopers levels of right wing.

The books, not the movie.

?

What makes you say that? I figure it'll be standard liberal centrism with jingo and moral cowardice per usual.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

?

What makes you say that? I figure it'll be standard liberal centrism with jingo and moral cowardice per usual.

I mean, I could write a long post, but just general pessimism I guess.

After going back and watching two different playthroughs with the series (First with Pat, now with Woolie) it really does strike me how conservative the series is, and in the decade since this series has come out, its not like society has gotten that much better. If any thing, Liberal Centrism has shifted further and further to the right, both for America and Canada, to the point where at times where functionally its indistinguishable from the right wing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The core thesis of the story, not of the antagonists but of the story itself, is that nobody has, is or will ever create synthetic life without immediately being megaracist to them, because in a vast galaxy of infinite diversity and wonder, the one constant is megaracism. It's cynical and grim and unpleasant and I hate it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And it's entirely refuted by the ceasefire between the Geth and Quarians in 3, verifiable proof that coexistence is possible, but then the endings decide that such an outcome is irrelevant.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Didn't Pat say that game clearly has two writers who hate each other writing at cross purposes? That whole thing looks like one writer was trying to make a good interesting story, but the guy in charge has Big Ideas.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That would be Casey Hudson and Mac Walters locking themselves in the writers room for an entire day to hash out the ending.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lots of speculation from everybody!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

My fav part of the me3 ending (pre-ending patch during release week) was the post credits pop up telling me to buy more dlc

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

beep by grandpa posted:

My fav part of the me3 ending (pre-ending patch during release week) was the post credits pop up telling me to buy more dlc

Mine was definitely having to redo the entire final sequence from the last save point because a buddy I was bitching to in a chat window told me "pop the kid for an easter egg", either not realizing or not caring they'd patched in a spiteful response to this!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Dabir posted:

The core thesis of the story, not of the antagonists but of the story itself, is that nobody has, is or will ever create synthetic life without immediately being megaracist to them, because in a vast galaxy of infinite diversity and wonder, the one constant is megaracism. It's cynical and grim and unpleasant and I hate it.

Sounds like they have issues with their parents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dabir posted:

Didn't Pat say that game clearly has two writers who hate each other writing at cross purposes? That whole thing looks like one writer was trying to make a good interesting story, but the guy in charge has Big Ideas.

The you can tell different corners of the games were handled by a bunch of different writers, some of whom had more self-awareness and wanted to add in more nuance than others. Bioware Magic (crunch) burning through the creative staff, EA leaning in harder and harder to make a big mainstream shootymans series out of Mass Effect and churn it out now, and then throwing out the original plans for the ending for a new ending that was farted out in a day all paid a toll on the games.

There's no reason to think a Mass Effect 4 would be "more right wing" or some poo poo though. The main trilogy was very chained to the military scifi space marine worship the first game set up, and like Pat said, the first game is the most loving "Post 9/11" premise imaginable. Outside of that though, it's just Bioware making their own Star Wars like sci-fantasy setting with space orcs and elves taped together with messy political tensions that get treated as binary choice prompts for cheap dramatic tension. There's nothing inherently regressive there. They simply need to take whoever developed most of the Asari lore, chain them into in a lead coffin, and drop it into the ocean.