Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Titan pissed me off more because it was longer. They actually cut out some of the crystal quests in 5.3, which is the version I played, but Titan is intact.

To the point that when wine quest came up again I despaired. I think it was supposed to be “haha remember this thing everyone hates” but it just was triggering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I disliked the corrupted crystals runaround enough that when I got the dipshit again in the postmoogle quests all the humor of "ha, an absent-minded professor, isn't this wacky, he'd forget his own socks next" just fell flat.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'll be honest, 95% of postmoogle quests I didn't remember who I was talking to.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Post-cut corrupted crystals quest is fine.

Pre-cut it was the single worst chunk of msq in the game.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Yeah, having only played the post-cut version my takeaway was “ugh they’re making me do the company of heroes thing again … oh it’s over already.”

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I'm currently playing through the Elpis section of Endwalker and I'm already thoroughly sick of "go here, look at/watch this thing, go there, watch this guy agonize over whether to take a job" quests.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

it'll be worth it, trust me

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I’ve seen folks saying the Authenticator for iOS is broken now and should be avoided. Is this the case?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I’ve seen folks saying the Authenticator for iOS is broken now and should be avoided. Is this the case?

Well if it is I should be worried, but I’ve never had an issue with it. Haven’t tried it today or anything though.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I just use Google Authenticator for my 2fa, no need to use their individual app for it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I literally just used it to log in so I have no clue what they’re talking about.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Worst I've heard about the SE app is that it'll force you to log in again if you change networks, which only really affects you if you're on Google Fi or a similar service.

But also, yeah, they started letting players use any generic authenticator app a year or two ago so just use one of those.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
G'raha is way twunkier than fanart led me to believe

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Postmoogles is better than the Titan stuff because A) it is optional and B) it is the horniest quest chain in the game

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Selachian posted:

I'm currently playing through the Elpis section of Endwalker and I'm already thoroughly sick of "go here, look at/watch this thing, go there, watch this guy agonize over whether to take a job" quests.

That particular section is kind of a drag, but the climax of that zone is real good and it's capped by arguably the best and most important cutscene in the entire game.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That expansion has a lot of High Drama moments so I’m grateful for the occasional respite.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
I've still got a single Irregular Tomestone of Verity from August - are they ever exchangeable for a new type?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

no

best you can do is go to the moogle and select "previous exchange" from the menu

and even then, one's not going to get you anything worth mentioning

toss it

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I'm trying this out for the first time, and I'm really enjoying crafting. I've taken 7 crafting classes to 50+ before my main combat class (paladin) reached 40 lol. It's probably not practical to continue with all of them, but I like being able to equip my character with a full set of high quality gear that I made myself.

Time to actually finish the realm reborn main quest. Or maybe I'll try out leatherworking.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Crafting is great. Unfortunately, it becomes dogshit in Heavensward, where things start needing multiple cross-discipline intermediate products (even more complex than the "everything needs boar leather" stage of ARR), resources only available from timed nodes, and products made with things only obtainable from GC seals (this last mostly only a problem for the late crafting quests, but there's still good stuff locked behind GC turnins and Master Craftsman books).

Having a good supply of gil can mitigate this once you get deep into HW because there's a vendor in a late town that sells every crafting ingredient. But the difficulty also spikes and you may want to craft the intermediates yourself for the HQ progress boost.

I think it gets better in Stormblood on, but I haven't actually done more than glance at StB crafting because the class quests I've done are "take these unique materials and make this unique quest item. Great, you're done."

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Yeah, I’ve been running through crafting recently and found it a massive money sink up until Stormblood where it’s easy peasy. Haven’t done much in Shadowbringers yet, but looks like there’s potentially some gathering time or expense there, but not on the same level are pre-StB.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Shadowbringers and Endwalker also simplify crafting quests down to three chains (one for BSM/ARM/GSM as the metalworking classes, one for ALC/CUL as the cooking classes, and one for WVR/CRP/LTW as the non-metal-goods catch-all), with gathering going to two chains (Fishing and Not Fishing), so there's a lot less going on to keep track of.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
holy poo poo, post-ARR is talky.

I'm not even at Leviathan yet but it's got more dubbed dialogue than the entirety of ARR.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

goblin week posted:

holy poo poo, post-ARR is talky.

I'm not even at Leviathan yet but it's got more dubbed dialogue than the entirety of ARR.

The number of voice acted lines goes up exponentially as the game progresses.

Thankfully, the quality also goes up exponentially as the game progresses once they switch to the London cast in Heavensward. :v:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, there's way more voice acting the further you get in. It also gets way better as you go. When the game transitions into Heavensward, they ditch all the ARR voice actors and re-cast everyone, other than some characters introduced in late ARR that play big roles in HW. They move the production of the dub to the UK, so in the expansions everyone has British accents from then on, other than in some cases they get some non-British accented actors for characters from specific regions.

To give an idea about how much more voice acting there is in the later expansions, going by some random compilations of voiced cutscenes on YouTube:
There is about three and a half hours of voiced cutscenes in base ARR, not counting the patch content.
Base Heavensward is almost six hours.
Stormblood is about six and a half.
Shadowbringers is close to ten.
Endwalker is close to close to sixteen.

And all of that is not counting their respective patches, which totalled together are all probably close to their expansion's run times.
This game has a lot of cutscenes.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Dareon posted:

Having a good supply of gil can mitigate this once you get deep into HW because there's a vendor in a late town that sells every crafting ingredient.

Wait, what? I must've missed this NPC, where are they?

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

quiggy posted:

Wait, what? I must've missed this NPC, where are they?

The Scrap Salvager in Idyllshire, same NPC that you buy custom delivery parts from. The "Purchase Items III" menu is what you're looking for.

Edit: There's a similar NPC for Stormblood. ShB/EW don't have one, but instead have ways to purchase monster drops in exchange for a special currency.

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 17, 2022

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

The Scrap Salvager in Idyllshire, same NPC that you buy custom delivery parts from. The "Purchase Items III" menu is what you're looking for.

Edit: There's a similar NPC for Stormblood. ShB/EW don't have one, but instead have ways to purchase monster drops in exchange for a special currency.

Rad, thanks.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I'm trying this out for the first time, and I'm really enjoying crafting. I've taken 7 crafting classes to 50+ before my main combat class (paladin) reached 40 lol. It's probably not practical to continue with all of them, but I like being able to equip my character with a full set of high quality gear that I made myself.

Time to actually finish the realm reborn main quest. Or maybe I'll try out leatherworking.

Continuing with all of them is entirely practical - it's very common for people who craft to level them all. Crafters all share gear except for tool/offhand and it's nice to be able to make all the intermediate parts of a craft without having to rely on the marketboard.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
The only reason leveling every crafter might be impractical is having to manage inventory space for every crafter's worth of raw materials and intermediates. Retainers and saddlebags help with that though.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Awesome. I'll keep trying out the different crafting classes.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Hint for leveling crafting classes: the supply missions for your Grand Company give an absolute ton of XP, like several levels' worth, with more for starred deliveries and turning in HQ stuff. You can even buy the turn-ins on the MB if needed, although I'd recommend crafting them yourself if you're focused on leveling -- crafting at-level recipes, especially HQ, is a decent source of XP on its own.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Yeah, I was happy when I unlocked those. My crafting classes are in their mid 50s now, and I'm at a point where I have to buy the ingredients to make the stuff they ask for. It's ok for some stuff, a bit too pricey for others. Some of the gathering missions are very cheap on the market board. I really need to finish the realm reborn main quest so I can go harvest more stuff myself. Also I need to get some level 3 combat materia so I can actually do those level 50 quests. I'm not as overlevelled for the main quest now, so it's more interesting and rewarding.

I love that crafting involves actual classes, with their own equipment, skills and minigame. Also, figuring out which tools are not available on the market board, and how much I can get away with charging for them.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm just leveling alchemist because I want more music

....a lot of the music is locked behind master recipes, I wager

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Less than you might think. Extreme trials will often drop rolls you need to rebuild, and those are master, but the majority are usable on drop.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Unlocking older master recipes isn't too hard, past a certain point. I believe anything past 3 you can just exchange white scrips for the token that you then exchange for the books, or just exchange for the books directly in some cases. The master recipes 1 and 2 require messing around with old ARR crafting and mats and were a little more annoying to do, but not by much.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Steelion posted:

The only reason leveling every crafter might be impractical is having to manage inventory space for every crafter's worth of raw materials and intermediates. Retainers and saddlebags help with that though.

Impossible. My retainers are loaded up already with ten thousand Dungeon Jewelry of ClassType. I really liked it better in ARR/HW content where jewelry was All Classes so I had no need whatsoever to keep around five of the exact same drat necklace...

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

leveling all crafters around the same pace saves a lot of pain with the armory chest and/or rebuying leveling gear, i only have culinarian at 90 but I am trying to get everything else to the same lvl 30ish point so they can share a set while i level em

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SuperKlaus posted:

Impossible. My retainers are loaded up already with ten thousand Dungeon Jewelry of ClassType. I really liked it better in ARR/HW content where jewelry was All Classes so I had no need whatsoever to keep around five of the exact same drat necklace...

Those are so easy to get that unless you're collecting something for glamour it's better to focus on what you're leveling right now. Gear stats add up but just leveling through dungeons and then upgrading with tomestones at 50/60/etc will keep you going with an occasional weapon from the marketboard or filling some gap that shows up by chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, don't be afraid to pulp dungeon jewelry. Generally only the stuff from x5 or higher dungeons is going to be superior to the previous tier's tomestone gear, and jewelry also drops much more readily than left-side gear, so it won't take too long to replace if you need it. Expert Delivery, get some seals!