Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

deep dish peat moss posted:

I just found the option to remove the game FPS cap which is 100 by default and now the game is running at 700fps and everything happens so fast it's glorious

Someone is playing with fire. Running the sim faster is all fun and good until a monster sneaks in and cuts through your base like Bizzaro Goku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Squiggle posted:

Notably different than the visual FPS, if I recall, right? Game FPS is like...the processing rate, and visual FPS is the actual display?

Yep, there are two separate options for them in the settings menu. You can set a cap on the game fps if you just want like, 2x speed, but going super fast to dig out a new fort is nice

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Squiggle posted:

Notably different than the visual FPS, if I recall, right? Game FPS is like...the processing rate, and visual FPS is the actual display?

Yes. And there are shortcuts to adjust the game (not graphical) FPS up or down. ALT - and ALT =
Very handy for say, slowing things down to be able to make sense of what's going on in combat. No step framing yet but this is close.

Little Ampton
Mar 19, 2010

:pwn:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Congrats on your dabbling dentist.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

"So yeah this is a percussion instrument"

Naw just admit you're flexing your wealth by hauling around a brick of platinum that you beat on.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

thunderspanks posted:

Yes. And there are shortcuts to adjust the game (not graphical) FPS up or down. ALT - and ALT =
Very handy for say, slowing things down to be able to make sense of what's going on in combat. No step framing yet but this is close.

jesus christ thank you for that

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

I feel like this will be patched out eventually, but I just discovered something interesting.

By default, you cannot assign labors through the labor menu to folks that have petitioned for entry into your fortress. They simply do not appear in the list.

However, they appear in the citizens menu. Sort by profession to make them easier to find. If you can get to their individual unit screen, there is a "Labor" tab. THIS tab will let you assign labors to them, and they'll respect those assignments.

I have yet to make my Elf Poets start butchering animals, I expect much fun.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
So a couple of stories for the gangtag if they're still given out.

First one involves this:

Had a couple dwarves die drained of blood, including a kid. Oh no, a vampire! Given my fort is pretty big, I used the justice system to attempt to track down the culprit, interrogating witnesses, tracking down leads, until finally after another kid death, someone accused a guy, I interrogated him, and figured out he was using an assumed name. Found the vampire. I walled him up in a room and was going to forget about him until a cyclops appeared. My military was total poo poo so I unwalled the vampire and threw him at the cyclops. He killed it after a long battle where he was grievously injured and ended up unconscious in my hospital.
Because of this, and despite him being a horrible child murderer, the fortress elected him mayor. And then re-elected him, all the while he was in a coma in the hospital.
I wasn't expecting him to ever wake up so I went about my business. Wake up he did, and he killed one more kid and two regular dwarves before I noticed. This time my dungeon was up and running so in he went - and he was sentenced to 100 hammerstrikes for murdering 6 people.
That would definitely kill a normal dwarf, I imagine, but a vampire might survive it. However, my hammerer was the mother of two of the dead kids.
I like to imagine she went in there and beat him with the wrong end of the hammer until he was nothing but mush.
I buried him surrounded by the coffins of his victims and statues of them, so he has to deal with them for eternity in hell.

Next story involves this:

I'm sure some of you know what this is. First, one of the cyclops that plagued me carried that slab in. Next, I razed a necromancer tower that was too close to me and brought back all it's loot for my library, not remembering that some of those books are evil. Before I know it I have 20 necromancers. I don't really want to see what happens if we get a siege and all the butcher garbage gets raised, so I went through all the written material to pull out the necromancy books, walled them and the slab up and expelled all the necromancers. Now the elves are pissed at me (possibly for unrelated reasons but I like to think the horde of necromancers I kicked out on their doorstep was a problem for them) and I wouldn't be surprised if more towers pop up.

I love this game!

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

sebmojo posted:

gang tags all assigned, so pipe up if you want one, and have posted a story (there have been some great ones, keep them coming!)

Count me in for a tag, the only tag worth having

Had my first beast attack on the base on a 3-hour or so fort, and it made me feel like a real piece of poo poo.

I'd been having a lot of useless migrants, so I decided to just lump them all into a poorly armed, lightly armored irregular militia that trains 24/7. Leather Armor, whatever weapons they can scrounge up, just sparring all day every day in a little dirt cave.

Finally, we get the day they were training for, alert goes up, "Orogoth The Giantess" is coming to wreck our poo poo. I send the rabble up to the trade caravan entrace. Everyone gets there in time, and the battle starts.

For about a quarter second. Giant goes down. Then the militia start running around the map killing every animal they can find, which since I decided on a training wheels map was a bunch of peaceful capybaras. I read the battle log and the giant didn't even get a hit in, didn't even swing, she was just surrounded by this mob of enraged hobos, knocked down in a single hit and torn apart while throwing up, lamenting her fate "I always knew it would end this way".

Was she even there to fight? Was she just there to visit our temple? Perhaps purchase some shell and rock salt jewelry in the gift shop? Why did the drunken peasant mob murder all the innocent capybaras, the most chill of all animals? This is clearly the consequence of funneling the poor an unskilled into the military and my own draconian social policy.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
if i start assigning people to burrows will they auto leave their old rooms and figure out new ones?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Arrath posted:

Naw just admit you're flexing your wealth by hauling around a brick of platinum that you beat on.

That’s a cowbell

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Len posted:

Anybody?

I'm gonna toss a plug for a Youtube channel I found while trying to learn the game for the first time myself when the Steam edition dropped. He has a bunch of short tutorial videos on various mechanics that were super helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/@BlindiRL

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Arrath posted:

It's a chunk of glass they beat with a rock. It has a choppy, brittle timber? Yeah buddy I fuckin bet it does.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

That’s a cowbell

Well poo poo now I need to make more.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

How's it going, goons. My first real fort hasn't been especially exciting, but I'm having a blast just learning the ropes of the game again. Here's some problems I've been dealing with that maybe a few greybeards can help:

1. Church attendance. Everyone wants to go worship Cikos the Syrup God but no one goes to the dedicated temples, even when they're right there in the path of their work/quarters commute. At first I thought it might've been church size; I started with a big general temple for everyone, and then made a bunch of little shrines for specific gods. They rarely seem to get attendance tho, so I've merged a bunch of these shrines into mega-churches that focus on the fort's most popular deities. I also haven't been great about getting instruments out to the parishes, mostly because it's a huge pain in the rear end, but we'll see if that helps. Should I enforce pauses in production to encourage dwarfs to get right with the lord? In 40d and 2012 you really didn't have to do anything to get dwarfs to gently caress off from work, but now it's like they like having a life or something.

2. Boredom. More specifically, I think a decent subset of my dwarfs are getting bored of their relatively peaceful living; a lot of unmet needs are to fight, argue, socialize, acquire objects, see excitement, etc. I've mostly avoided conflict so I can focus on figuring out how to run the fort, so the most action my fort has seen is the occasional uppity skunk or hoary marmot. I think that can be fixed by sending the most bloodthirsty dwarfs out on expeditions, but I'd like to train them up first, and my brief interaction with the new military menu didn't endear me to that prospect. But I guess I'll have to figure it out sooner or later. Does training fulfill the "fight" need?

I'm not sure why socializing is a big deal, though. We have a big fancy legendary-quality tavern with nearby drinks, as well as other social hubs with the churches. Again, could be a space constraint thing; my tavern is large but I built it in such a way that it might not meet requirements for a "dance floor" or whatever, so that renovation is underway. I'm also getting basically no visitors either, whereas my dry run fort was getting all sorts of weirdoes hanging out in a lovely little rough-hewn pub.

3. Broken(?) Trade. This is my 3rd or 4th caravan, but this time I can't move most of my valuable goods. I've got tons and tons of billon bars I want to get rid of but the trade interface acts like I don't have them in my fort, to say nothing for the stockpiles full of a jewel encrusted crafts I have. Crafts aren't even an option to choose from. I can move some worthless bullshit like plain ole rock or my box of rock gears, but it's like half the fort's stuff is off-limits. I don't think there's any trade mandates or anything is forbidden or unreachable; is it a problem with my broker?

Really been enjoying getting back into this. Strike the earth!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Atoramos posted:

Ok, another shot at a story for the gangtag:

My dwarves are embarking upon my first real delve in years. I seem to remember a surprising amount of advice from my last foray. Tables, chairs, my dwarves get to crafting so they'll be less inclined to mire in their squalid surroundings. Soon they're making shell amulets and I've got a depot all set up.

Slowly they expand. Each dwarf getting a bedroom, setting up a farm, figuring out bins and barrels and pumping out meal after meal. I watch as my first delivery of migrants start to get happier, and healthier. Setting down offices and a tomb, my carpenter makes a masterpiece bin to store our ale in. Excitement is palpable on my dwarves scurrying around: it's happening, I'm going to actually survive a while this time. I better get ready for the caravan. I have a three-wide ramp up, which ends in two doors parted by a wall. Gotta stay safe somehow, right?

I see the alert: the caravan has arrived. A swordsdwarf runs ahead of them and slaughters a bear. My broker is at the depot, all ready with goods.

The merchants stand at the edge of the map, the liason at the other. They stare.

Soon they depart, my dwarves none the wiser. A mistake must have been made: perhaps my fort's entrance wasn't acceptable for them and their oxen? Apparently the old bind to determine if a depot is accessible no longer exists. It is a mystery I'm left to solve. Meanwhile, I know a harsh winter is about to set in...

Ok, think I figured this out. It was indeed my entrance.

1.) What are some good entrance designs, to support the wagon? Can't seem to build three doors side-by-side, is this where I need to figure out a dry drawbridge?

2.) How do I cover up holes I've accidentally formed? I'm having weird issues where stairs build up even when I'm only building them 'down'.

3.) I get that ramps go up and channels go down, but my dwarves seem to be able to walk down channels. Is a channel a hole that dwarves can 'crawl' down or up? I assumed it would be basically a pit (and I could then build a channel beneath it for a deeper pit).

4.) I'm not super close to the nearest river, it's a few screen lengths away. What's a good way to find underwater water and build a well? Should I just keep digging down and hopefully find some not too deep?

5.) Is there an easy way to move stuff between bins to prep to trade, or is it a process of sorting by assigning their goods to and from stockpiles with associated rules

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

2: build a floor over it

3: ramps don’t “go up” so much as make a slope from one level to the next, and there are plenty of ways to arrive at a ramped result. Digging a channel is just excavating a tile from above. It typically leaves behind a ramp if that channel tile is along the edge of the excavation area.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Atoramos posted:

Ok, think I figured this out. It was indeed my entrance.

1.) What are some good entrance designs, to support the wagon? Can't seem to build three doors side-by-side, is this where I need to figure out a dry drawbridge?

2.) How do I cover up holes I've accidentally formed? I'm having weird issues where stairs build up even when I'm only building them 'down'.

3.) I get that ramps go up and channels go down, but my dwarves seem to be able to walk down channels. Is a channel a hole that dwarves can 'crawl' down or up? I assumed it would be basically a pit (and I could then build a channel beneath it for a deeper pit).

4.) I'm not super close to the nearest river, it's a few screen lengths away. What's a good way to find underwater water and build a well? Should I just keep digging down and hopefully find some not too deep?

5.) Is there an easy way to move stuff between bins to prep to trade, or is it a process of sorting by assigning their goods to stockpiles with associated rules

1) Doors must be adjacent to walls, so a 2-wide is the best you can do. Drawbridge is the way to go.

2) Construct floors.

3) When a channel is dug, that tile is replaced with a ramp down (if there is an adjacent wall for the ramp to adhere to, you can't dig freestanding ramps, only construct them). You can remove the ramp to make it a pit that can't be climbed back out of.

4) You can dig down to find the caverns and underground river, or you can dig a couple level deep channel and then designate the opening of the pit (the top level) as a pond, and then order dwarves to fill it. They'll automatically bucket gang water to it. You can build a well over it and you're golden.

5) Not really? Finished goods will get stuffed into an existing finished goods bin if one is available, etc. You can try to set the stockpiles for those items close to the depot to make hauling them there easier.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

:drugnerd:

He authored it after a dream.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 9, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Okay who is the absolute badass who made parchment from the skin of a forgotten beast??

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

LegionAreI posted:

So a couple of stories for the gangtag if they're still given out.

First one involves this:

Had a couple dwarves die drained of blood, including a kid. Oh no, a vampire! Given my fort is pretty big, I used the justice system to attempt to track down the culprit, interrogating witnesses, tracking down leads, until finally after another kid death, someone accused a guy, I interrogated him, and figured out he was using an assumed name. Found the vampire. I walled him up in a room and was going to forget about him until a cyclops appeared. My military was total poo poo so I unwalled the vampire and threw him at the cyclops. He killed it after a long battle where he was grievously injured and ended up unconscious in my hospital.
Because of this, and despite him being a horrible child murderer, the fortress elected him mayor. And then re-elected him, all the while he was in a coma in the hospital.
I wasn't expecting him to ever wake up so I went about my business. Wake up he did, and he killed one more kid and two regular dwarves before I noticed. This time my dungeon was up and running so in he went - and he was sentenced to 100 hammerstrikes for murdering 6 people.
That would definitely kill a normal dwarf, I imagine, but a vampire might survive it. However, my hammerer was the mother of two of the dead kids.
I like to imagine she went in there and beat him with the wrong end of the hammer until he was nothing but mush.
I buried him surrounded by the coffins of his victims and statues of them, so he has to deal with them for eternity in hell.

Next story involves this:

I'm sure some of you know what this is. First, one of the cyclops that plagued me carried that slab in. Next, I razed a necromancer tower that was too close to me and brought back all it's loot for my library, not remembering that some of those books are evil. Before I know it I have 20 necromancers. I don't really want to see what happens if we get a siege and all the butcher garbage gets raised, so I went through all the written material to pull out the necromancy books, walled them and the slab up and expelled all the necromancers. Now the elves are pissed at me (possibly for unrelated reasons but I like to think the horde of necromancers I kicked out on their doorstep was a problem for them) and I wouldn't be surprised if more towers pop up.

I love this game!

These stories own! Thanks for sharing.

I haven't had time to play much this week but I am going to try and spend as much time as I can getting a new fort off the ground this weekend.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
pov: you are a dwarven mother who just dropped your baby in a pond while hunting

v Now, luckily, the baby has floated back up to the surface and is no longer drowning...

v But mom only decided to try and retrieve the baby once, determined it was impossible, and then gave up.

v So now the baby is kind of just floating atop the pond.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Congrats on the future legendary swimmer?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

So, clothes: is there any point to producing new clothing? I know it wears out over time but it's kind of a hassle. I wish I could set a work order for "once a month make 5 full outfits" or something.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You could dig a bunch of channels adjacent to the pond to spread the water out until it’s low enough to walk, I think depth 2 or 3 is acceptable?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Arrath posted:

So, clothes: is there any point to producing new clothing? I know it wears out over time but it's kind of a hassle. I wish I could set a work order for "once a month make 5 full outfits" or something.

I think you can (could before?) set work orders to maintain just a certain static oversupply, so like always have 10 extra socks or whatever. But that may have been a dfhack thing.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Arrath posted:

Your dwarves really, really hate being naked and their clothes will eventually rot and fall apart.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Arrath posted:

I just made work orders for tunic, pants, dress, gloves, hat, socks, shoes that say "if there's less than 2, make 2." I figure that'll be enough to get everyone re-clothed over time.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Arrath posted:

Okay who is the absolute badass who made parchment from the skin of a forgotten beast??

Trying to figure that one out, 3 legendary beasts have attacked that fort but none were killed. But it looks like in the fort of Boatchampions Anesthesia is a popular topic as well as on the topic of Nothing.

The main grouping in this fortress is the Wordy Picks.

Edit: The Dwarf who wrote two books on Nothing ending up doing a book called Introduction to Large Numbers.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 9, 2022

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Bad Munki posted:

You could dig a bunch of channels adjacent to the pond to spread the water out until it’s low enough to walk, I think depth 2 or 3 is acceptable?
not necessary, after maybe a week or two of floating on the pond the baby managed to get onto the bank and then crawled back into the fortress before mom remembered she has a kid

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cool, thanks folks

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
If gang tags are still being given out, here's my story with my first ever Dwarf Fortress:

Essentially, I severely underestimated how valuable chairs are to a budding dwarven community, and learned that there are ghosts in this game.

I embarked into an area that was heavily forested, and began cutting down all the trees except for one that I left for aesthetics right next to my main entrance. This tree will be important later on.

All my dwarves were grumbling about the lack of chairs, but I was busy having my carpenter make beds and doors so I could give all of them their own rooms. My carpenter is one of my best dwarves, has a great sense of empathy, enjoys helping others, and also happens to be one of my best fighters.

One of my miners has anger problems and likes to brawl, constantly dwells on the lack of chairs, but he's also in bad shape with low stamina.

I alt tabbed to look up how to do something, and apparently forgot to pause the game. I came back to some very unhappy dwarves, almost exclusively furious over the lack of chairs.

I had my carpenter switch to making chairs but it was too late. My miner snapped and coincidentally (or maybe intentionally???) assaulted my carpenter, and got his rear end whooped.

Despite being physically unscathed my carpenter was traumatized by this experience and fled out of the fortress and climbed up the only remaining tree, where she constantly dwelled on the fight she had for weeks, refusing to come down. She eventually died in the tree, and I forgot about her.

I didn't think to make someone else my carpenter and so no new chairs were being made. Then my carpenter came back as a ghost to haunt my chairless dwarves.

My carpenter was also a mother, and her son ran off with the rest of the children into the wilderness, for mysterious purposes.

The few remaining dwarves I have are still furious over the lack of chairs.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

IronicDongz posted:

not necessary, after maybe a week or two of floating on the pond the baby managed to get onto the bank and then crawled back into the fortress before mom remembered she has a kid

Guess you’ll have to find a different, more creative way to rid yourself of the thing. Can the child also swim in lava?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Nosre posted:

Could you post a screenshot or two of this setup? Like 14 years of playing and I'm still hesitant around water pressure mechanics

Sure thing! Here's my current hospital setup, though it's missing traction benches cuz I got distracted making other things.

Directly below that is the top of my cistern, which I made as a 3 x 5 space that is 4 z-levels deep.

Water enters the cistern from a corridor on this level, and at the end of that corridor that goes to the left there's a stairwell that goes up towards the aquifer layers. Note the diagonal bend. This is critical, because water has pressure, and since my water source is ABOVE the hospital, if I did not include this diagonal bend water would come up OUT of the well and flood the hospital and probably the rest of my fort as well. I'm not sure why the fluid simulation does this, but fluids moving through a diagonal have their water pressure "reset," and will not be forced to flow up and out into z-levels higher than the new pressure level.

And finally, a few z-levels up, is the actual source of my water in the aquifer layer. In order to ensure it would fill up faster, I dug the corridors out like that for increased surface area, though I may not have actually needed to.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Neurion posted:

Water enters the cistern from a corridor on this level, and at the end of that corridor that goes to the left there's a stairwell that goes up towards the aquifer layers. Note the diagonal bend. This is critical, because water has pressure, and since my water source is ABOVE the hospital, if I did not include this diagonal bend water would come up OUT of the well and flood the hospital and probably the rest of my fort as well. I'm not sure why the fluid simulation does this, but fluids moving through a diagonal have their water pressure "reset," and will not be forced to flow up and out into z-levels higher than the new pressure level.

Oh that corner thing is interesting to learn. I just typically use a couple floodgates but that can have its own issues.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Mustang posted:

If gang tags are still being given out, here's my story with my first ever Dwarf Fortress:

Essentially, I severely underestimated how valuable chairs are to a budding dwarven community, and learned that there are ghosts in this game.

I embarked into an area that was heavily forested, and began cutting down all the trees except for one that I left for aesthetics right next to my main entrance. This tree will be important later on.

All my dwarves were grumbling about the lack of chairs, but I was busy having my carpenter make beds and doors so I could give all of them their own rooms. My carpenter is one of my best dwarves, has a great sense of empathy, enjoys helping others, and also happens to be one of my best fighters.

One of my miners has anger problems and likes to brawl, constantly dwells on the lack of chairs, but he's also in bad shape with low stamina.

I alt tabbed to look up how to do something, and apparently forgot to pause the game. I came back to some very unhappy dwarves, almost exclusively furious over the lack of chairs.

I had my carpenter switch to making chairs but it was too late. My miner snapped and coincidentally (or maybe intentionally???) assaulted my carpenter, and got his rear end whooped.

Despite being physically unscathed my carpenter was traumatized by this experience and fled out of the fortress and climbed up the only remaining tree, where she constantly dwelled on the fight she had for weeks, refusing to come down. She eventually died in the tree, and I forgot about her.

I didn't think to make someone else my carpenter and so no new chairs were being made. Then my carpenter came back as a ghost to haunt my chairless dwarves.

My carpenter was also a mother, and her son ran off with the rest of the children into the wilderness, for mysterious purposes.

The few remaining dwarves I have are still furious over the lack of chairs.

Just an aside as a fellow noob. You can have your stonemason make chairs out of rock but they are called thrones. As far as I can tell they are functionally identical to chairs though.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Could you not just build your cistern on the aquifer z-level and then have your hospital above that? Or would water still overflow from the well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Popete posted:

Could you not just build your cistern on the aquifer z-level and then have your hospital above that? Or would water still overflow from the well?

Oh sure you absolutely could. But I believe the aquifer is generally above the genuine rock layers and a true dwarf doesn't built in silt they can't smooth.