Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Moon Monster posted:

I always thought El Greco was a weird name/epiphet for a Spanish painter but never really considered why he might be named that. Turns out he was born in Crete. Thanks, crossword puzzles.

Whattup NYT buddy :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

kid gloves are literally gloves made from soft kid leather, so handling someone with kid gloves does not necessarily mean treating them like a child. just carefully

kind of the same thing but slightly different

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

Captain Splendid posted:

You'd probably end up some place very uncomfortable after eating one of those.

What, like the back of a Volkswagen?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

hawowanlawow posted:

kid gloves are literally gloves made from soft kid leather

That horrible!

Soft kids have it bad enough :(

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I realised last night that I'd be far more scared to hike though a North American forest than an Australian one. You lot have bears, wolves, mountain lions, lynxes - things that might actively decide they want to eat you.

We have nothing even remotely like that. The worst we've got is venomous spiders and snakes, who want nothing to do with people at all.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Most incidents with snakes/spiders etc that require medical attention happen around the home.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Hyperlynx posted:

I realised last night that I'd be far more scared to hike though a North American forest than an Australian one. You lot have bears, wolves, mountain lions, lynxes - things that might actively decide they want to eat you.

We have nothing even remotely like that. The worst we've got is venomous spiders and snakes, who want nothing to do with people at all.

Cougars do kill joggers. Bears occasionally get caught up in some stuff usually because they've become comfortable around humans because of garbage. If you've gone far enough off trail to encounter multiple wolves, yeah uh that's impressive and glwt.

Lynxes otoh are big whiney pussycats just like their close cousins the bobcat. They are no threat.

And mostly cougars aren't either it's just that they need a lot of range area and the females get pushed out by the males (or the sick or elderly start taking whatever they can feed on) and need to take care of their cubs and suddenly dogs go missing so the authorities come in and take them out. Really sucks.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
And usually if your dog goes missing it was coyotes (or rear end in a top hat people), not mountain lions.

Honestly, when I'm out camping, I worry more about leaving food out and attracting a bear and habituating it - a fed bear is a dead bear - or startling a deer or a moose and getting my head kicked in because I have no sense of how ungulates react to things

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Phy posted:

And usually if your dog goes missing it was coyotes (or rear end in a top hat people), not mountain lions.

Honestly, when I'm out camping, I worry more about leaving food out and attracting a bear and habituating it - a fed bear is a dead bear - or startling a deer or a moose and getting my head kicked in because I have no sense of how ungulates react to things

Yeah we don't have moose where I live but I understand they're basically animal AT-ATs.

The deer don't get how fast cars move so they seem suicidal sometimes. And well much like the sagebrush sometimes get people to swerve into oncoming traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXwqRmg763M

I don't dislike them but I try to be careful not to startle them as a pedestrian or bicyclist for the motorists.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hyperlynx posted:

Also there's only 2 species of spiders in Australia whose bite has been fatal to humans and there's been no recorded deaths since we developed specific anti-venoms for them decades ago: the redback spider (14 deaths, pre-1956) and the Sydney funnel web spider (13 deaths, pre-1981). We still get the occasional death from a snake bite but the average is only around 1 or 2 per year, they're super rare. Deaths from sea snake bites are even rarer, we had one death in 2018 which was the first one on record since 1935.

We also only get an average of 1 or 2 deaths from sharks and crocodiles per year, we get way way more deaths caused by horses (mostly riders falling off) and cows (mostly when they wander onto the road and cause car crashes) and dogs (mostly from children being mauled).

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Dec 9, 2022

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Cougars do kill joggers.

This is exceedingly rare.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Atticus_1354 posted:

This is exceedingly rare.

Yep, Wikipedia says that in the last 100 years there's only been 27 confirmed fatal attacks by cougars in the US
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_cougar_attacks_in_North_America

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I just learned that the largest North American animal is the bison (also dangerous but mostly to tourists who try to like cuddle them)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bison are no joke. I felt a little tense sitting in a car stopped on the road while a herd of them wandered by, they're basically vehicle size themselves. I have no idea how people can be so stupidly oblivious as to run up to them in person to get their tourist selfies before being charged at and tossed in the air or worse.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Bison are no joke. I felt a little tense sitting in a car stopped on the road while a herd of them wandered by, they're basically vehicle size themselves. I have no idea how people can be so stupidly oblivious as to run up to them in person to get their tourist selfies before being charged at and tossed in the air or worse.

Plant eater = nice friendly guy to the average idiot.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cougars, Mountain Lions, et all are more a danger because they can kill livestock and maul children and pets than because they're particularly fatal.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Empty Sandwich posted:

I just learned that the largest North American animal is the bison (also dangerous but mostly to tourists who try to like cuddle them)

For you, the day you figured this out was the most important day of your life...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah, I can see that reasoning, they're just so drat big in person that I can't imagine rethinking it when you see them.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

See also water buffalo, hippopotamus et.al

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, I can see that reasoning, they're just so drat big in person that I can't imagine rethinking it when you see them.

There’s a preserve here in Washington where you can pay for a Jeep tour to see all the hooved animals and are instructed to not get out of the car under any circumstances. You can just roll up on bison and they do seem pretty chill but the guide mentioned their heads alone weigh 300 pounds :stare:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Sir Lemming posted:

For you, the day you figured this out was the most important day of your life...

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

There’s a preserve here in Washington where you can pay for a Jeep tour to see all the hooved animals and are instructed to not get out of the car under any circumstances. You can just roll up on bison and they do seem pretty chill but the guide mentioned their heads alone weigh 300 pounds :stare:

Its easy to see how they can weigh so much when you see this kind of comparison

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

There is a bison herd up the road from me, and even at a distance I get the impression of accidental violence.

Like, I legit worry about them attacking the car because its not big enough to be intimidating to them

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well surely if it was dangerous, there would be somebody there who wouldn't let you do it! Tourists think everything is Disneyland. You ever see that footage of the family that got out of their car to pet the cats during a driving tour through a reserve in Africa? Totally insane. Check out the "idiots you meet outdoors" thread in the great outdoors forum for some entertaining stories.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

pik_d posted:

Its easy to see how they can weigh so much when you see this kind of comparison

goddamn

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I remember taking a kid to her horse riding lessons a couple of years ago. It had been decades since I've been up close with any big animal, and I'm a big guy, but this horse felt huge. If it held its head up it looked me right in the eyes, and I'm 2 meters tall.

So before the lesson she had to do some prep. Brush the horse, saddle it, etc. So she takes me and the horse to the prep area and hands me the reins and asks me told hold a bit tight so it doesn't move around too much, but not too tight because otherwise it'll get antsy. (lol)

Now I'm caring for this 11 year old girl in a professional capacity and she's happily chatting away telling me about what she's doing and all the horses and all that just tugging and pulling it this way and that and all the while I'm actually intimidated by this beast and all I can think is "one kick and she's a goner and there's nothing I can do about it."

I wasn't afraid or nervous or anything but definitely intimidated and respectful of the animal.

Anyways, what I'm saying is you've got to be a special kind of idiot not to respect animals that big and bigger, lmao

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's pretty safe to assume any animal is bigger and stronger than you. If it's not it's going to be way more tenacious.

Don't gently caress with animals.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

It's pretty safe to assume any animal is bigger and stronger than you. If it's not it's going to be way more tenacious.

Even the Paw Patrol is right sometimes

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Iron Crowned posted:

Working at a bunny rescue it was pointed out how easily they can put you in the hospital with their hind claws if you hold them wrong

All animals are better armed than an unarmed human

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I went to an Moose/Elk Park in Sweden last summer. You spent the entire time inside a sort of truck train and the one real rule was don't step outside of your carriage while inside the park. But just incase we had to because of some emergency or if we'e ever encounter a wild elk the instructions were to ,,Just back away very slowly. Don't try to scare it away it will charge you. Don't try to run it can run faster than you, don't try to circle around it because that's what wolves do and it will interpret that as a threat and charge you. Don't try to fight it if it does charge you, you will lose. Don't play dead because it will test if you actually are dead by stomping on you and they can weigh up to 800 kg."

Now the elk in the actual park were very friendly and basically tame, we got to feed them potatoes through the window or even pet them, but they were still pretty intimidating just because of how huge they were.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

Working at a bunny rescue it was pointed out how easily they can put you in the hospital with their hind claws if you hold them wrong

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Do a line of coke and headbutt the cat, got it

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

christmas boots posted:

Do a line of coke and headbutt the cat, got it

Please stop telling people your holiday plans

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The line "Take a look at the five and ten glistening once again" does not refer to the lights on a highway full of people driving back home for christmas, but rather to a window display in an old timey kind of discount store that was more commonly referred to as a 'five and dime'

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

RFC2324 posted:

I wish I’d saved this post I saw once on some other forum, this stockbroker explained how he’d kill a pitbull barehanded if it chased him.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Those of you convinced that people can't easily kill animals really should check out pet island sometime

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Pertinent to this conversation, if anyone hasn't seen Nope you should. Respecting animals and our exploitation of nature is a central theme.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Torquemada posted:

I wish I’d saved this post I saw once on some other forum, this stockbroker explained how he’d kill a pitbull barehanded if it chased him.

I was a FedEx guy in an area loaded with pit bulls terribly raised to be aggressive. They would escape from dilapidated fences and pop out from around corners all the time. Some would go straight for the attack. That said, I do not want to hurt any dog and I never did in my years on the job. They never hurt me either and I didn’t have to kill an abused animal to keep myself safe. That stock man is a psychopath.

I don’t remember anyone in my terminal ever actually being injured by a dog.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I looked up mountain lion attacks after the North America post and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Somebody tell Kim Bauer she didn't need to panic.