Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Stadia works fine. shame theyre getting rid of it but I think they'll pay me for my controller and i get to keep it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

slurm posted:

The snow tires thing basically requires you to have a dedicated winter car because there are very few places it instantly gets below 45F and stays there until spring and then you can't drive your car on the warm days/at low altitude where it might not have an instant hard freeze for months.

That's pretty much a normal winter here, but I also live in Canada, not the States. That's like, what, 7 C? I'm not going to see that until March. Maybe.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Uh the hell are you talking about. There's literally tons of places in the us that do, and in areas like the great lakes where lake effect exists snow tires can mean a huge difference.

The rest of the country is not the west coast for god sakes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Yeah, I've not owned a car here in Upstate New York but I think the ones I've rented even in winter didn't have snow tires because the roads get plowed extensively when it snows.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Mister Facetious posted:

I need a script that replaces every instance of "the cloud" with "someone else's computer"

this was a good reason to test out chatGPT

quote:

create a python function to input a string and replaces every instance of "the cloud" with "someone else's computer"

code:
def replace_cloud(s):
  return s.replace("the cloud", "someone else's computer")

code:
s = "I'm storing my files in the cloud"
replaced = replace_cloud(s)
print(replaced)  # prints "I'm storing my files in someone else's computer"
kinda cool

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

this was a good reason to test out chatGPT

Speaking of:

https://twitter.com/samfbiddle/status/1600926097860087808?s=46&t=C40h-u3UTlSoavdkiRs-LQ

https://twitter.com/spiantado/status/1599462400583176192?s=46&t=uRshI8J06Xiq31BZ3Sl4pw

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

yeah, AI has a long way to go before bias isn't a crippling issue.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Uh the hell are you talking about. There's literally tons of places in the us that do, and in areas like the great lakes where lake effect exists snow tires can mean a huge difference.

The rest of the country is not the west coast for god sakes.

When I lived in northern lower Michigan right on the lake you could really only guarantee highs under 45 for 3 months a year, but there was snow for like 6+ months a year. This isn't the West Coast. If I could've afforded to own and store a second winter beater car I would've put snow tires on it but that wasn't realistic for me.

slurm fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 9, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You don’t have to have absolute perfect alignment between the tires that you’re using and the conditions. Driving over snow on all‐season tires once or twice on either side of winter due to unseasonable snowfall is better driving like that every day for months.

It’s likewise fine if your snow tires contact warm pavement on occasion, you just don’t want to be driving on them for months in the baking summer heat.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/alexstamos/status/1601038512219770880

Look out Bari Weiss and Matt Taibbi are peeping your DMs.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

https://twitter.com/alexstamos/status/1601038512219770880

Look out Bari Weiss and Matt Taibbi are peeping your DMs.

She's sliding into your DMs, I'm reading your DMs because the manchild who bought the platform is desperate to court chuds, we are not the same.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Platystemon posted:

You don’t have to have absolute perfect alignment between the tires that you’re using and the conditions. Driving over snow on all‐season tires once or twice on either side of winter due to unseasonable snowfall is better driving like that every day for months.

It’s likewise fine if your snow tires contact warm pavement on occasion, you just don’t want to be driving on them for months in the baking summer heat.

Precisely, there's something just so very goony about the fact that someone sat and thought about this and came to the conclusion you need a 2nd winter car...

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Hilarious

The current head of trust and safety at Twitter likely allowed another person to access her account and take screenshots, or took them on a guided tour.

https://twitter.com/44/status/1601036283371192321

https://twitter.com/spdustin/status/1601054300356358149

This will surely go well.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you have a remote starter your key fob should still let you remote start even without onstar, SiriusXM, or whatever other freebie service you had. :shrug:

Well now I know what the “fast forward 30 seconds” button does.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The bias is the point. You put all the bias in a black box that you can say is infallible, and you push it everywhere you want to obscure biased decision making, i.e. policing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you have a remote starter your key fob should still let you remote start even without onstar, SiriusXM, or whatever other freebie service you had. :shrug:

I have an older car with no remote start, so on really hot days I start it with the regular key, then use the spare key to lock the door back up and leave it for a few minutes.

The fob won't lock the doors when the key's in the ignition which is a well thought-out feature.

Of course, I also park in my driveway in a decent enough area, so car theft isn't a big worry.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

As datasets get larger and harder to manually edit (honestly, it's already impossible), the models will only get more biased with time. All OpenAI can do is limit your ability to prompt, like we've seen with DALL-E randomly injecting "black female" to pretend they did the expensive work of editing the dataset

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Of course, I also park in my driveway in a decent enough area, so car theft isn't a big worry.

I park in a big bed with your wife.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Elon is taking the next logical step in securing his business by... beefing with Elton John?

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1601262438967435266

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Elon is taking the next logical step in securing his business by... beefing with Elton John?

"Now riddle me this, Boer Wonder!" Aw gee, will the Cape's crusader ever figure it out?? Stay tuned!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/ShayTheAries/status/1601230312104546304

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There can only be one EL_ON

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Should have gotten a cybertruck instead.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Elon hates Elton's because they* have a cooler sounding name. also mad jealousy that a mere musician has done more for culture and human civ than himself.

*i assume they, the ONE music guy is the only one coming up in my pre coffee mind, but that does mean there's no bad Elton's that are notable??

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

Elon hates Elton's because they* have a cooler sounding name. also mad jealousy that a mere musician has done more for culture and human civ than himself.

*i assume they, the ONE music guy is the only one coming up in my pre coffee mind, but that does mean there's no bad Elton's that are notable??

Sorry, he's named after Elton Vauxhall, a British industrialist that founded a car factory and then purchased Daily Mail, a liberal paper at the time, to ensure freedom of speech.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m cynical enough to think that someone intentionally incited or prompted to do this for the likes. Dog’s mouth looks all hosed up now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Good dog.

But yeah that feels like what happens after you antagonize the poo poo out of a dog, rather than it being a random occurrence. Dogs don't just go around eating cars. And it's well within my stereotypes to assume a Tesla owner would also be lovely to animals.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

feedmyleg posted:

Good dog.

But yeah that feels like what happens after you antagonize the poo poo out of a dog, rather than it being a random occurrence. Dogs don't just go around eating cars. And it's well within my stereotypes to assume a Tesla owner would also be lovely to animals.

I had a boxer who ate my mother's car tire once

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Good dog.

The whole thing was probably done on purpose. I'm no zoomer, but doing staged videos for TikTok seems to be a thing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

The whole thing was probably done on purpose. I'm no zoomer, but doing staged videos for TikTok seems to be a thing.

Of course it was. If it wasn't why did they open the window? Why did they not drive away?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So apparently that's what a dog will do when he's chasing cars if he catches one.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

So apparently that's what a dog will do when he's chasing cars if he catches one.

It's in their genes. They think they are direwolves and the car is a mammoth.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

ninjahedgehog posted:

There can only be one EL_ON
My phone keeps autocorrecting Elon to Elton, and I doubt it's the only one, so maybe Elton is getting fed up of tweets calling him a dick/piece of poo poo/fascist/fraud/Emerald Boy/etc.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Good dog.

Dog looks super happy and really not mad at all; probably thinks it is a game. Our pit has the same look when he steals our socks and is busily shredding them to pieces. Also I don’t doubt a pup could chew that thing to pieces… ours breaks through 4 inch pieces of wood in about 3 minutes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nenonen posted:

"Now riddle me this, Boer Wonder!" Aw gee, will the Cape's crusader ever figure it out?? Stay tuned!

:pusheen:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Person Dyslexic posted:

Dog looks super happy and really not mad at all; probably thinks it is a game. Our pit has the same look when he steals our socks and is busily shredding them to pieces. Also I don’t doubt a pup could chew that thing to pieces… ours breaks through 4 inch pieces of wood in about 3 minutes.

Am pit mix owner, can confirm. That good doggo is having an enormous amount of fun. Even if the video itself wasn't staged, the attention they got from every human in the vicinity for playing the Eat A Tesla game plus the sheer joy of destroying something would be enough reason to keep going.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Kwyndig posted:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

another day volunteering at the tesla factory.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Larson claims that he genuinely didn't intend to make it look like the dog was humping the car and was surprised by the blowback. The dog is merely shaking the car with its howls of triumph!