Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
The Little Mermaid wasn't a play first so I have no idea why that was picked.

Also citing a 1605 story should clue you in that is the time period and Hans Christian Andersen came centuries later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
yeah if they ask about a 1605 play it's going to be shakespeare (or marlowe but he died in the late 16th century)

sometimes you just blank tho, and sometimes when you blank it is at a very, very bad time

or maybe he's just not a play guy :iiam:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Spokes posted:

yeah if they ask about a 1605 play it's going to be shakespeare (or marlowe but he died in the late 16th century)

sometimes you just blank tho, and sometimes when you blank it is at a very, very bad time

or maybe he's just not a play guy :iiam:

I read that as a story from 1605 inspiring the play, which doesn't necessarily rule out later works, but in hindsight, I do get that it's meant as a clue to the period. Still guessed the Tempest though since I couldn't think of anything else.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

christmas boots posted:

I read that as a story from 1605 inspiring the play, which doesn't necessarily rule out later works, but in hindsight, I do get that it's meant as a clue to the period. Still guessed the Tempest though since I couldn't think of anything else.

My brain just latched onto "dude with a magic island" and literally the only play that fit that descriptor was The Tempest, so I went with it and spent the rest of the think music desperately trying (and failing) to remember when the hell Shakespeare lived to figure out if that was even close.

Brains are weird.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

spent the rest of the think music desperately trying (and failing) to remember when the hell Shakespeare lived to figure out if that was even close.

~1600 was the end of Elizabeth I's reign and the start of James VI/I, which inspired a lot of shakespeare stuff (Macbeth in particular), obviously the KJV Bible was written somewhere around then, etc. lots of stuff all happening right around the turn of the century. i'm very bad with dates but i was able to hang a lot of stuff right on that point

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Island Nation posted:

The Little Mermaid wasn't a play first so I have no idea why that was picked.

Also citing a 1605 story should clue you in that is the time period and Hans Christian Andersen came centuries later.

I said The Little Mermaid. I didn't think it was a play first but I had nothing else!

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

It's also ok for someone else to not like something you like.

Well, when you say something like "normal persons do ______" you are stating (possibly accidentally so) that if people don't "do ________" then they are not "normal." Making persons feel "not normal" can sometimes be a psychologically stressful thing for the persons in question.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Sean posted:

Well, when you say something like "normal persons do ______" you are stating (possibly accidentally so) that if people don't "do ________" then they are not "normal." Making persons feel "not normal" can sometimes be a psychologically stressful thing for the persons in question.

Even Maggie used to make that joke at auditions, so I thought it was pretty obviously not that serious, but I was evidently wrong about that :shrug:

At least we can all stop arguing about this guy in particular until the next TOC.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Even Maggie used to make that joke at auditions, so I thought it was pretty obviously not that serious, but I was evidently wrong about that :shrug:

At least we can all stop arguing about this guy in particular until the next TOC.

No worries. Enjoy the show and have a nice day.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Felt pretty goddamn good about getting Final right tonight. Only clicked about halfway through when I pieced together Chief Justice traditionally swears in the POTUS --> Taft's the only ex-president to become such --> Which president died during the early 1900s? --> who was his VP?

Also the giant-killer's curse strikes again, oh well

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah for Final I knew Taft had to be involved but couldn't remember the timeline well enough to narrow my guesses of Teddy and Cal to pick the right one

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Taft was only Chief Justice for 5 years so he only swore in 2 presidents.

More importantly. Only one president has his dad swear him in so that makes it obvious. Taft wasn't even needed in the clue.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

sorry to be ~that person~ but HOW did ALL THREE get final jeopardy wrong today, seemed like a gimme!

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Only thing I can think is that their minds got stuck on the other side of the world with "island" and didn't think to focus on the military program/cocktails.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Yeah I saw "WWII" and "island" and immediately started scouring my brain for tropical drinks, but then the word "venture" struck me as odd which lead me to the right answer

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
(I am a few days behind)

Ken Jennings’ impression of Boris & Natasha sounded so Scottish I thought I was missing some extra mini-show on Rocky and Bulwinkle… like “did Aesop’s fables have some Scrooge McDuck knockoff I forgot about?”

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I liked the True Daily Double with $-200 tonight. I want to see somebody do that, not correct themself, and get it wrong to reset back to zero.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

CPColin posted:

I liked the True Daily Double with $-200 tonight. I want to see somebody do that, not correct themself, and get it wrong to reset back to zero.

Maggie told us in the green room the story of a kids week contestant who tried betting negative money in final and planned on purposely getting it wrong so that they would then have to add money to their score.

I wonder where that kid is now because I bet they went places.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
How in the hell was "Who is Galt?" accepted?? That's the worst call I've seen in a long time.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

How in the hell was "Who is Galt?" accepted?? That's the worst call I've seen in a long time.

To me, it sure sounded like he said Johnny instead of Donnie Wahlberg too.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

RC and Moon Pie posted:

To me, it sure sounded like he said Johnny instead of Donnie Wahlberg too.

Oh wow yeah I absolutely heard that too.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

1glitch0 posted:

Technically the clue only demanded the character's name. The "first line" part was flavor, I think?

However, Ken's "close enough" reply adds to the confusion instead of clarifying it, here. So I feel ya.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Invenerable posted:

Technically the clue only demanded the character's name. The "first line" part was flavor, I think?

However, Ken's "close enough" reply adds to the confusion instead of clarifying it, here. So I feel ya.

I thought they wanted the first line of the book.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

1glitch0 posted:

I thought they wanted the first line of the book.

The category was: WHAT A NOVEL CHARACTER!

The clue was: He is described as "Prometheus who changed his mind"; now you say the first sentence of "Atlas Shrugged"

All the other clues asked for a character's name too. The response in the form of a question being the first line was just supposed to be a fun joke.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I love when I guess the correct FJ response before seeing the clue.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I paused to crack up at the H&R Block clue

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

zakharov posted:

I paused to crack up at the H&R Block clue

It's proof that Ken is a great host.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

*Has a negative score*

"I'll do a True Daily Double."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Most people use "true daily double" to mean "I want to bet the maximum" which is technically incorrect but understandable since it's way more fun to say that than to say "I want to bet the maximum"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If I'm ever on and I hit a DD I'm gonna go, "gently caress me up, Ken."

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPColin posted:

If I'm ever on and I hit a DD I'm gonna go, "gently caress me up, Ken."

Mayim:
*awkward pause*
looks to judges
Ok... for one thousand dollars!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

christmas boots posted:

Most people use "true daily double" to mean "I want to bet the maximum" which is technically incorrect but understandable since it's way more fun to say that than to say "I want to bet the maximum"

Except this is incorrect. On several different occasions a contestant has said that phrase with, say, $800 when they could wager $100, and they were given $800 for being correct.

I'll give you two guesses which host was running those games (and never explains you can wager more than you have), but you're only going to need one.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Except this is incorrect. On several different occasions a contestant has said that phrase with, say, $800 when they could wager $100, and they were given $800 for being correct.

I'll give you two guesses which host was running those games (and never explains you can wager more than you have), but you're only going to need one.

You don't know how badly I wanted pretend it was Trebek but I just didn't have the heart to troll this thread.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

christmas boots posted:

You don't know how badly I wanted pretend it was Trebek but I just didn't have the heart to troll this thread.

I'm sure he had to have had a few, but given that he had over 8200 episodes under his belt, a couple will slip through the cracks.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Do they advise contestants before taping that if they ask for a true daily double, it means they are betting exactly what they have?

I mean it's good hosting for Ken to point out their options, but this is a case where I don't feel bad for the contestants when Mayim just rolls with it lol

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

wa27 posted:

Do they advise contestants before taping that if they ask for a true daily double, it means they are betting exactly what they have?
Yes, they run through all of the rules, it takes well over an hour.

ETA: they do this while everyone is getting their makeup done and stuff, and it's entertaining, it's not like you're sitting there being lectured to for an hour. It doesn't feel like it takes that long at all.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

wa27 posted:

I mean it's good hosting for Ken to point out their options, but this is a case where I don't feel bad for the contestants when Mayim just rolls with it lol

Oh yeah to be clear, she's an incompetent host, but if you auditioned for Jeopardy you should know that poo poo. Pressure of the moment and all that, but it's on you to pay attention.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Said the right Final response as soon as they revealed the category :cool:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPColin posted:

Said the right Final response as soon as they revealed the category :cool:

I pulled it immediately, I'm guessing none of them have never had to attend mandatory sexual harassment training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I may have started doing an obnoxious Hannibal Lecter impression at my wife