Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Data Graham posted:

Monterey/Monterey Jack
Yosemite/Yosemite Sam
Ventura/Ventura Highway

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Data Graham posted:

Monterey/Monterey Jack
Yosemite/Yosemite Sam
Ventura/Jesse Ventura

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
One annoying thing about buying a new personal use computer for the first time in nearly a decade is that so much software has become subscription-based.

Are there any good one-off alternatives to Adobe Lightroom (want to process raw images) and MS Word (want to work on docs offline and handle legacy MS formats)?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

T Zero posted:

One annoying thing about buying a new personal use computer for the first time in nearly a decade is that so much software has become subscription-based.

Are there any good one-off alternatives to Adobe Lightroom (want to process raw images) and MS Word (want to work on docs offline and handle legacy MS formats)?

For the latter your Mac came with Pages.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
You’ve also got libre office as a free perfectly good alternative to MS office if pages and numbers don’t meet your needs.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I use Google Docs.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

You’ve also got libre office as a free perfectly good alternative to MS office if pages and numbers don’t meet your needs.

Here's the icon I created so I don't go crazy from it being rectangular

You can get LibreOffice through brew. Here's the guide for changing the icon, although you'll need to do this each time it gets updated:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlp2313/mac

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

T Zero posted:

Darktable, RAWTherapee, Luminar, Affinity Photo are all worth looking at

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I was going to say that while pricey, Capture One is probably the best LR alternative (and IMO better than LR) that doesn't require a subscription. However, today they essentially announced they've killed the perpetual (without actually killing it) by removing upgrade pricing after version 23 so they can go gently caress themselves.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

T Zero posted:

i made the switch to DxO Photolab on a new MBP recently because I was tired of subscriptions and my computer and camera aren't going to change for another ten years. I had used LR since it's inception.

bonus, the RAW processing quality is much better, at least with my camera model

if you don't need mass image processing power and library management, look into it.

unfortunately LR is very, very, good at managing huge libraries with lots of settings to sync/manage etc. etc

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Were you able to move your existing LR stuff over too? That's something that hinders me changing to a new system, even if I don't have anything other than my own amateur stuff in those libraries, I just wouldn't want to lose the originals. I guess I could just keep the libraries and install a trial of LR any time I needed to raid the archives, or install an old standalone copy that's still compatible (I never moved from LR Classic, the new version seemed poo poo).

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

that's a real problem, as far as i know.

Because I'm an insane person, my final edit has always been a .tif, for nearly 20 years. I've known that otherwise, my edits are locked into a certain software. Because of that, I didn't have as much angst over that issue. I lose the ability to go back and manipulate the edits of previous work, but I'm not too bent up about that. I can always replicate the workflow on the new software if I REALLY need to. I spent a couple days being an insane person and making sure there wasn't anything I was going to be upset losing.

There might be a tool out there... or you could just do a mass export of 'keeper' images to .tif or whatever. That's a lot of space, but hey, image sizes aren't getting any smaller.

e: to be out from under Adobe's subscription service, it was well worth it. otherwise you're effectively renting your image edits from them

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 6, 2022

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Keep the RAWs, you can always reprocess them in whatever new program you have (which I'm guessing you'll almost never do on files you've already processed). Keep the LR catalog file in case you ever want to rent LR for a month to work off your old edits. There might be another, more portable way other than the catalog file to keep the LR edits with the RAW files, maybe someone else can chime in there. In most cases it's probably less work to just re-process in the new program rather than downloading LR just to get back your original edits. Export TIFFs for your keepers. TIFFs actually hold a lot more image data than something like a JPEG so editing a TIFF, while not the same as RAW, probably isn't as bad as you're expecting. Also couldn't hurt to export high quality JPEGs of your keepers as well (just to have available for sharing).

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

getting mad at the system preferences settings window again

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Speaking of getting mad at System Preferences;

Why does opening the Keyboard preference pane gently caress with the audio in my Airpods (Max)? What is happening there? I lack the familiarity with audio to describe the change that happens when the Keyboard preference pane is open other than that I don't like it. On closing the pane or moving to a different one it reverts.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Fedule posted:

Speaking of getting mad at System Preferences;

Why does opening the Keyboard preference pane gently caress with the audio in my Airpods (Max)? What is happening there? I lack the familiarity with audio to describe the change that happens when the Keyboard preference pane is open other than that I don't like it. On closing the pane or moving to a different one it reverts.

This is also driving me crazy. I just built a new keyboard and this is the weirdest thing.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

unfortunately LR is very, very, good at managing huge libraries with lots of settings to sync/manage etc. etc
...until it shits itself and corrupts a folder with 8000+ sorted bird images in it. not that that happened to me and I'm still pissed.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That’s too many birds my dude. You gotta curate your birds.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
You gotta shoot lots of birds to get any birds. The struggle is real

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

post the birds

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

T Zero posted:

Serif has just shipped their latest version of affinity suite so it's at 40-50% discount. Also there is now a universal license that covers pc/ipad/mac in a single one-time expense(at heavy discount compared to individual purchase). For legacy word open there are no alternatives to office and if you want one time purchase rather than sub, you could easily source cheap copies of 2019.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 8, 2022

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Here is a European Starling. I just got these guys to come visit my balcony for crushed up peanuts this week.

And the Black-capped Chickadees who come by to see if there's any seeds in strange places. Only the brave ones will go into a bowl

Poor quality because it's through my screen but still cute

It's really all about the Bluejays though

I believe I can recognize this one. We call her Daphne

And the crows seem totally above it all until you throw some peanuts on the roof or driveway. The grade 9s of the city birb world

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

ty

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

These are some great birds

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Ventura 13.1 RC candidate just got released to devs. If all goes well, we ought to be getting it along with iOS 16.2

13.1 is supposed to bring end to end encryption for iCloud Backup/Drive, Notes, Photos, Voice Memos and a bunch of other Apple bundled apps

It also introduces Freeform, some kinda collab app, and will include an enhanced Home app for better performance for some devices using the Home architechture

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
loving these birds

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

SlowBloke posted:

Serif has just shipped their latest version of affinity suite so it's at 40-50% discount. Also there is now a universal license that covers pc/ipad/mac in a single one-time expense(at heavy discount compared to individual purchase). For legacy word open there are no alternatives to office and if you want one time purchase rather than sub, you could easily source cheap copies of 2019.

Both of these are great ideas, thank you. I just downloaded the affinity demo and will see how I like it.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

T Zero posted:

Both of these are great ideas, thank you. I just downloaded the affinity demo and will see how I like it.

SA-Mart can give you the hook up on the Office license too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898368&perpage=40&noseen=1

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Does anyone know of a script/app/tool that would allow to automate a screen layout?

Context: I use an ultrawide and work requires I have a bunch of poo poo open. I like to tile it a certain way, which isn't the usual left/right/corner layout. So every morning, I have to manually adjust all my windows so they fit in the way I like for work. Especially as I have a version of this layout when I'm docked on my ultrawide and when I'm not plugged and just with my laptop screen. I reckon there must be a way to automate this. Is anyone aware of a way to achieve this?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Gros Tarla posted:

Does anyone know of a script/app/tool that would allow to automate a screen layout?

Context: I use an ultrawide and work requires I have a bunch of poo poo open. I like to tile it a certain way, which isn't the usual left/right/corner layout. So every morning, I have to manually adjust all my windows so they fit in the way I like for work. Especially as I have a version of this layout when I'm docked on my ultrawide and when I'm not plugged and just with my laptop screen. I reckon there must be a way to automate this. Is anyone aware of a way to achieve this?

I usually recommend people go through this list to find the features they want, window management on macos is finicky and people are rightfully just as finicky about the ux we stare at for a significant portion of our day so it’s hard for me to recommend a specific solution. I don’t work daily on a mac anymore so I’m a bit behind on the current options

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

do true tone and night shift obfuscate the need for me to use f.lux anymore?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Yeah, I think so.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Flux can still be preferable if you need to disable the temperature shift when you're doing color sensitive work, as with Flux you can disable for specific apps or just easily completely disable/enable from the menu bar. With Night Shift AFAIK you have to go into system preferences to disable. However now that I'm thinking about it, I'm sure there's some 3rd party app that adds Night Shift control to the menu bar.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Splinter posted:

Flux can still be preferable if you need to disable the temperature shift when you're doing color sensitive work, as with Flux you can disable for specific apps or just easily completely disable/enable from the menu bar. With Night Shift AFAIK you have to go into system preferences to disable. However now that I'm thinking about it, I'm sure there's some 3rd party app that adds Night Shift control to the menu bar.

It's in the control center, just need to click the display subsection.

actionjackson posted:

I think the only reason to use flux would be if you want more control over the gradation and timing than os x will give you. Also the word you wanted was obviate.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ah gently caress that's embarassing

I do like how f.lux is much more customizable though so will probably stick with that

am I still not allowed to remove any of the apps that are installed by default? i really don't need most of them

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 9, 2022

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

actionjackson posted:

ah gently caress that's embarassing

I do like how f.lux is much more customizable though so will probably stick with that

am I still not allowed to remove any of the apps that are installed by default? i really don't need most of them

You can uninstall a lot of them. Don't recall off hand what method I used to do so. But it didn't take any deep digging or a third party program or terminal command or anything.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Kibner posted:

You can uninstall a lot of them. Don't recall off hand what method I used to do so. But it didn't take any deep digging or a third party program or terminal command or anything.

thanks, i removed some in launchpad, there's still quite a few if won't let me remove though

stocks, podcasts, siri, voice memos, etc.

on mn previous machine i would remove them with app cleaner, or if I couldn't do that I would do that change you can make in the recovery terminal to let you delete them, but they would just come back in the next software update.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 9, 2022

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Gros Tarla posted:

I use a combination of BetterSnapTool and Moom to achieve this. BST to help me get the windows where I want them (although it sounds like you might not need that) and Moom to actually save the layouts and reapply them based on monitor layout change or hotkey.

Both are available on the App Store.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
What's the good option for ad blocking these days? Setapp switched over to AdLock and it breaks too many sites to be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Djimi posted:

Spot on. (And all the previous comments). The hardware is still amazing, I'm very happy with that.

I wish I could read a John Siracusa review of Ventura.
I guess this is the next best thing—I should have read this before I installed it (to steel my resolve):
https://twitter.com/siracusa/status/1534261202167152649

I wonder if the trackpad preview videos are still lingering somewhere in the os.