Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
New clip from the Mario. Looks great (I've said this before but Illumination's style is perfect for this) but I just feel like the whole thing is going to be annoying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-3sYL7vJTQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

FoneBone posted:

As far as I’m concerned once we got this trailer it was time to pack up the mournful-pop-cover thing for good

https://youtu.be/uYYuwAsZl58

Me watching: "...can't seem to recognize this music and the lyrics are kind of hard to make out...oh...OH NO"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Gonz posted:

Oblivion is one of the best looking movies of the last decade.

Tom Cruise has made 4* sci-fi films and they're all** absolute bangers.

*I don't count Vanilla Sky

**War of the Worlds rules, don't lie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why do they keep hiding pratt's voice?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You know today I was thinking, why haven't they tried to remake My Two Dads but with actual gay dads

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

precision posted:

You know today I was thinking, why haven't they tried to remake My Two Dads but with actual gay dads

That's not different enough. You need to really shake up the premise. Have a responsible child raising two gay dads.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

precision posted:

Competing with Modern Family, for one.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Jewmanji posted:

Is this the guy who testified in front of the J6 committee? I’m not familiar with his work but is it kinda both sides-y? The trailer frames it that way a bit

It's a different guy - that was someone named Alex Holder.
In terms of his politics, I'm having a hard time describing it. When he covers political events (not always, here's him doing interviews at the World's Strongest Man competition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLbkoJpLkIY), he will talk to basically anyone and let them have their say. E.g. here's him at the Sturgis motorcycle rally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK2FBEpmlUo. Overall I think he's not trying to make a political point but to like ~reveal the humanity in all of us~. I think it's pretty good :shrug:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

LesterGroans posted:

Tom Cruise has made 4* sci-fi films and they're all** absolute bangers.

*I don't count Vanilla Sky

**War of the Worlds rules, don't lie

Uh Vanilla Sky rules.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

FoneBone posted:

As far as I’m concerned once we got this trailer it was time to pack up the mournful-pop-cover thing for good

https://youtu.be/uYYuwAsZl58

I saw the title of the game and was legit expecting a remix of the music from the old Crossfire table game.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SolarFire2 posted:

I saw the title of the game and was legit expecting a remix of the music from the old Crossfire table game.

"I didn't mean to get caught up in it..." *mournful acoustic guitar*

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rewatched my Blu-Ray of TRON Legacy. Yeah, that movie still kicks rear end.

BonoMan posted:

Uh Vanilla Sky rules.
Hell yeah it does. Or at least, I think it does. I've seen it several times but the last time was probably over a decade ago.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

BonoMan posted:

Uh Vanilla Sky rules.

I agree, I just don't really count it as sci-fi. If you wanna call him 5-for-5 go for it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think vanilla sky is very definitely Sci fi. In fact, it's basically a golden age short story, complete with "makes u think" twists and ambiguity, and concerns a great man dealing with Some Weird Bullshit

I'm shocked it isn't based on a Philip k dick story, because in a way, it's based on all his stories

Edit: and yeah it totally loving rules

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

SolarFire2 posted:

OK thank you, glad I'm not the only one who expected that

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

CelticPredator posted:

I can’t fully explain why but Tron Legacy just moves me and from start to finish it just grabs a hold and never let’s go.

Same. It’s amazing.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

BonoMan posted:

Uh Vanilla Sky rules.

Yeah it’s one of my all-time favorite movies!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I prefer the original which also has penelope Cruz but yeah the movie owns.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The original doesn't have Cameron Crowe's Spotify Winamp playlist, which is the main reason I like the remake better.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mierenneuker posted:

The original doesn't have Cameron Crowe's Spotify Winamp playlist, which is the main reason I like the remake better.

100%. We need more soundtrack driven movies.

The original is ok but definitely feels cheaper and just doesn't land as well as the remake for me. Feels like it suffers from low budget 90s movie syndrome which, to be fair, it is.

The remake is one of my fave movies ever. The whole denouement hits like a ton of (beautiful) bricks.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BonoMan posted:

100%. We need more soundtrack driven movies.

That being said...

clown shoes posted:

New clip from the Mario. Looks great (I've said this before but Illumination's style is perfect for this) but I just feel like the whole thing is going to be annoying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-3sYL7vJTQ

The music on this film is amazing and it's really fun to avoid a bunch of pop songs in an animated movie for once.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
So happy to see the Tron Legacy love in this thread, because I fuckin' adore that movie and its aesthetic. It wasn't perfect and I completely understand where people who dislike it are coming from, but whatever.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So there's no doubt that Chris pratt is having infinite trouble doing a good accent and they're still in the process of getting him to not make the longer lines sound awful, right?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

precision posted:

So there's no doubt that Chris pratt is having infinite trouble doing a good accent and they're still in the process of getting him to not make the longer lines sound awful, right?

Probably, lol. His Mario just sounds so lifeless.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

precision posted:

I'm sure part of it is poisoning from quip-heavy movies and I do appreciate getting time to soak up all the visual delight of the city, but it's so crazy that Mario basically says nothing of substance for the entire sequence. Like the part where Toad yells that Luigi's going to die, he's just doing this weird pantomime freak out?

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

teagone posted:

Probably, lol. His Mario just sounds so lifeless.

Chris Pratt sounds so lifeless.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does Mario do that hand move to calm down Yoshi the way Chris Pratt does to dinosaurs in Jurassic World?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Keegan's toad and the visuals are enough to get me to at least see it once, but just lol at this whole disaster

How hard would it have been to hire an Italian person to do the Italian voice, I mean Mario being Italian isn't like, insanely important, but his name is Mario

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

precision posted:

How hard would it have been to hire an Italian person to do the Italian voice, I mean Mario being Italian isn't like, insanely important, but his name is Mario

This made me think of all the people who pronounce it “Merry-o.”

Savages. They probably stand to wipe.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FishBowlRobot posted:

It's a-me!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

Does Mario do that hand move to calm down Yoshi the way Chris Pratt does to dinosaurs in Jurassic World?

I can't tell what I would hate more: if they do this or if they don't.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

FishBowlRobot posted:

What's worse: people who say Merryo instead of Mario or people who say Worio instead of Wario?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I always preferred the way Rick Moranis says it in Ghostbusters: marry-oh

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

As someone with a very similar name… but with a D.

I accept MAR or MARE. Most Italians say the latter. Some add a rolling R.

Others just get it wrong entirely. Darren. Darryl. Dareel. And sometimes just Mario.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Gargamel Gibson posted:

What's worse: people who say Merryo instead of Mario or people who say Worio instead of Wario?

I’ve never heard this and I hope I never have to.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Who the hell says Merry-o?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

edogawa rando posted:

Who the hell says Merry-o?

The dad in Mitchells vs The Machines

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

As someone with a very similar name… but with a D.

I accept MAR or MARE. Most Italians say the latter. Some add a rolling R.

Others just get it wrong entirely. Darren. Darryl. Dareel. And sometimes just Mario.

which one is you

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Both. Mostly right with the hair on the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SolarFire2 posted:

Yeah, I was expecting this old classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvDUx-RWJxw

That guy must be like 50 now.