Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

webmeister posted:

it really is astonishing how basically every major sports administration the world over is terrible, useless, and hopelessly corrupt
Coincidentally, the international ones are pretty much all based in Switzerland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Crazy Ted posted:

Coincidentally, the international ones are pretty much all based in Switzerland.

It's the neutrality to take bribes from every part of the world

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Switzerland: The Delaware of Europe

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Switzerland: The Delaware of Europe
Does that make Liechtenstein the Rhode Island of Europe?

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
lol at ronaldo's rapid descent

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh lmao the dude is a cameroon vs algeria qualifier truther. The one where the ref got accused of taking bribes for very reasonable calls.
He was obviously harassing eto'o about it for views

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Ladies and gentlemen, the Dancing Eto'os!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh lmao the dude is a cameroon vs algeria qualifier truther. The one where the ref got accused of taking bribes for very reasonable calls.
He was obviously harassing eto'o about it for views

He's holding a camera to a public ambassador at a public event in a public place. I think there are better ways to handle it than taking a running start and kicking him in the head when he's down

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
You work with what you've got

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Holding a camera, making inflammatory accusations to try and attempt to get him angry

Mission accomplished fuckstick, I hope your brain leaks out of your ears

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

TheRat posted:

He's holding a camera to a public ambassador at a public event in a public place. I think there are better ways to handle it than taking a running start and kicking him in the head when he's down

Sure eto'o is in the wrong but i have no sympathy for the guy beating the bones of a long dead horse

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
https://twitter.com/guardian_sport/status/1600220682947858475

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like he got Etoo'd :dadjoke:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Central London was loving nuts tonight. Morocco fans but also seemingly anyone with a flag, a luxury car and any kind of African or Islamic heritage was out honking their horns and kicking poo poo off.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

The Perfect Element posted:

Central London was loving nuts tonight. Morocco fans but also seemingly anyone with a flag, a luxury car and any kind of African or Islamic heritage was out honking their horns and kicking poo poo off.

Good

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
If anyone deserves getting one over the Spanish it’s the Moroccans.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Koreans breathing a sigh of relief

:stoke:

The Perfect Element posted:

somebody go grab that image of the flare from before the Euro 2020 final.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticFC/status/1600523086578819073

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

The government is investigating...

how anyone found out.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
How many dead migrant workers does it take to change a light bulb in Qatar?

:smith:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Today Infantino feels like a dead migrant worker.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

Qatar World Cup whistleblower was tortured, claims family

A Qatari whistleblower who was jailed after raising concerns about the mistreatment of migrant workers at World Cup stadium sites was tortured on the eve of the tournament, his family has claimed.

The human rights organisation FairSquare also released a letter from the family of Abdullah Ibhais, a former media manager in Qatar’s Supreme Committee, who accused Fifa of “callous indifference” for ignoring his case.

FairSquare is now calling for the United Nations working group on arbitrary detention to intervene in the hope that Ibhais will be released from his three-year jail sentence.

In the letter Ibhais’s family claims he spent four days “in complete darkness in solitary confinement after being physically assaulted” as punishment for contributing to last month’s ITV documentary Qatar: State of Fear? — with the air conditioning at full blast and used as a torture device. “He was in a cell of two by one metres with a hole in the ground as a bathroom and with temperatures near freezing,” the letter adds. “‘I was already suffering from several bruises after the prison guards’ assault and I was shivering all the time, as the cold air directed to me never stopped. ‘I hardly slept during those four days,’ he told us.”

Ibhais says he was jailed after raising concerns that the Supreme Committee planned to deny that World Cup workers were involved in a strike of between 4,000 and 6,000 people in Doha. He says he found 200 workers in Education City Stadium and Al Bayt Stadium that had no drinking water and had not been paid for four months. However, Qatar’s authorities insist that Ibhais, who was removed from his role in 2019, was sentenced on fraud charges relating to a contract to produce social media content for the World Cup. But that is disputed by Fair Square, which says he was coerced into a confession and denied a fair trial.

Nicholas McGeehan of FairSquare said Ibhais had gone to Fifa before his arrest. “He was messaging directly members of Fifa’s human rights team,” said McGeehan. “At some point, however, they just disappeared. They essentially ghosted him – for want of a better word – and he had no further communication from them after that.”

Ibhais’s family also directly criticises Fifa in its letter. “We the family of Abdullah Ibhais are calling out Fifa and its president Gianni Infantino, who once said ‘the World Cup is the voice of the marginalised’,” it states. “Your deeds haven’t lived up to your words, Fifa is complicit in Abdullah’s imprisonment and Fifa’s silence is tearing apart our family. We refuse Fifa’s callous indifference, we refuse to back down.

Fifa and the Supreme Committee were approached for comment. Both confirmed they were aware of the letter and its contents.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/dec/07/qatar-world-cup-whistleblower-was-tortured-claim-human-rights-groups

today, I feel a torture victim

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

vyelkin posted:

today, I feel a torture victim

You chose to watch the Croatia replays

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

webmeister posted:

it really is astonishing how basically every major sports administration the world over is terrible, useless, and hopelessly corrupt

they work on the principle of one country one vote and then you have tiny poor countries of 20,000 people in the caribbean are suddenly more powerful together than the US or China so why shouldn't they try to get some cash? Its the US senate on steroids.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

quote:

Qatar World Cup whistleblower was tortured
yeah i watched uruguay ghana

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.iranintl.com/en/202206113998

"Qatar Says It Shares Strong Ideological Bonds With Taliban"

:leavemtg:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
So do American conservatives, but that's def not a good look.

They don't seem to be running any kind of filter during the tournament.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I can see why iraq just went gently caress it and invaded kuwait

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

jesus WEP posted:

yeah i watched uruguay ghana

Uruguay Ghana watch some sweaty dudes go at it

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I'm sure that despite all the controversy and shady dealings that the attendance at this World Cup has truly exceeded everyone's expectations....oh....yeah, that's not good.

quote:

Previously, world soccer's governing body FIFA said that stadium attendance in Qatar had surpassed attendance at stadiums during a corresponding period at the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

This seems like a lie, no?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The official attendance figures have had every match oversold. Thousands more people than the stadium is rated to hold. The empty seats are due them all being captivated by the concessions and watching from the bar with a cold, alcohol-free budweiser.

Why would FIFA doubt their good friends at qatar?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=752yxnP6vzw

it's okay everybody, death is just a part of life and it's all the journalists' fault

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
On world cup day one, no one died. On world cup day two, no one died

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

im the lowcut neck on the undershirt

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

whypick1 posted:

This seems like a lie, no?

I think you'll find tens of thousands more people attended than in December 2018

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Systematic brutality? I'd better report this to the appropriate Qatari authorities for proper investigation - or even escalate to FIFA or the... or the... the United Nahahahahaha

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
American soccer journalist Grant Wahl has died in Qatar, and his family believes he was killed.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/iambillary/status/1601392340282769408

https://twitter.com/ziplamak/status/1601383802374619137
https://twitter.com/ziplamak/status/1601383803251232768

Holy gently caress.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Well it's a good thing America has a stellar track record when it comes to bringing justice to those involved in the murder of their journalists in the Middle East...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

npr guy in doha for world cup coverage confirming his death

https://twitter.com/rdlewis/status/1601399736560680960