Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

CrazySalamander posted:

This is no longer the accepted explanation AFAIK. We have since learned via exoplanet systems that having all the big planets far away isn’t the norm.

That actually makes a lot of sense, it's funny how as you get older all the space facts change from what you learned as a kid. I'm not an astrophysicist by training so a lot of it passes me by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

PiratePrentice posted:

That actually makes a lot of sense, it's funny how as you get older all the space facts change from what you learned as a kid. I'm not an astrophysicist by training so a lot of it passes me by.

This applies to dinosaurs too: a lot of them had feathers for example. Also history and basically anything that's not completely settled.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

BonHair posted:

This applies to dinosaurs too: a lot of them had feathers for example. Also history and basically anything that's not completely settled.

Well history is a whole nother thing since it's so politically relevant and tons of it is nazi/white supremacist propaganda or whatever. Space and dinosaurs are pretty policially irrelevant to most modern politics outside of like young earth creationists.

My favorite random dinosaur fact is that T-rex lived closer in time to humans than it did to Stegosaurus.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

PiratePrentice posted:

My favorite random dinosaur fact is that T-rex lived closer in time to humans than it did to Stegosaurus.

Yeah according to the documentary Jurassic Park, it lived concurrently with humans... that's about as close as you can get

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Here's a dumb gravity question that just occurred to me as I was reading the above Q&A's:

When it is daytime, is gravity from the sun making me lighter relative to the earth because I have two gravities pulling me in different directions? Versus when it's nighttime, gravity would be stronger, as both the sun, on the other side of the planet, is pulling me in the same direction as the planet?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Poldarn posted:

Here's a dumb gravity question that just occurred to me as I was reading the above Q&A's:

When it is daytime, is gravity from the sun making me lighter relative to the earth because I have two gravities pulling me in different directions? Versus when it's nighttime, gravity would be stronger, as both the sun, on the other side of the planet, is pulling me in the same direction as the planet?

Yes, very slightly. The moon also does this so bonus points if it's a new moon.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Yes, there is a difference, but you'd need pretty precise instruments to measure it.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
I don't know that you'd even be able to measure it considering you'd have to keep a persons weight the same between day and night and the amount of water you breathe out in the meantime would be more than the total change by a lot.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is this safe or no (I'm getting something that will use that open plug next to it, so if it's fine good, otherwise I'll need to get a different power strip)

the light it's for works fine

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Poldarn posted:

Yes.

This is one of the causes of the tides. The other, the pull of the Moon, is greater. When the Sun, Earth, and Moon are aligned (at full Moon or new), and the effects of the Sun and Moon add, we get spring tides.

The swinging rate of a pendulum has a dependency on g. As a consequence, pendulum clocks are gravimeters. When the Sun or Moon are overhead, they run slower. When they are on the opposite side of the Earth, they run faster.

Top is a plot of the running rate of a Fedchenko clock (not much to look at), with the days since 1 November 1969 on the x‐axis*. The y‐axes are deviation in running rate, gridlines on the bottom representing one part in twenty million, which would be a single second lost/gained in 231 days if the error were constant.

Bottom is a plot of what the running rate of an ideal clock would be, calculated from the gravitational effects of the Sun and Moon.

As you can see, they have quite good agreement. As the Earth revolves, the Sun and Moon pass overhead, and gravity shifts with them. The effects of the Sun and Moon add and are greatest around the new Moon of the tenth and the full moon of twenty‐fourth.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 8, 2022

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

That's really neat, thanks for all the detailed answers.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

actionjackson posted:

is this safe or no (I'm getting something that will use that open plug next to it, so if it's fine good, otherwise I'll need to get a different power strip)

the light it's for works fine

Not ideal, but you can get a 3-pack of one-foot extension cords to deal with these sorts of problems.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The socket and plug are designed for fifteen amps and you’re drawing maybe two percent of that.

I wouldn’t plug in a space heater like that, but an LED lamp? Eh, it’s probably fine as long as it’s not right on the edge of contact.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Poldarn posted:

that's not a dumb gravity question

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MyronMulch posted:

Not ideal, but you can get a 3-pack of one-foot extension cords to deal with these sorts of problems.

oh I had no idea that was a thing, thanks! but I thought plugging an extension cord into a power strip was a safety hazard? or is that just plugging a power strip into another power strip that is hazardous?

I have a couple other larger plugs like that as well, so it'd be nice to not have to plug them directly into the power strip. I also don't want to put a lot of weight on the strip as it's attached with that 3m velcro stuff

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 8, 2022

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

actionjackson posted:

oh I had no idea that was a thing, thanks! but I thought plugging an extension cord into a power strip was a safety hazard? or is that just plugging a power strip into another power strip that is hazardous?

I have a couple other larger plugs like that as well, so it'd be nice to not have to plug them directly into the power strip. I also don't want to put a lot of weight on the strip as it's attached with that 3m velcro stuff

The problem is when any extension cord you use is of thinner gauge than the wire in your wall. If it is then if you overload it then the breaker will trip and prevent any problems, but if the extension is thinner then it will melt and catch fire without triggering the breaker.

But thick extension cords like that are $$$ and people tend to cheap out on them.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

dupersaurus posted:

The problem is when any extension cord you use is of thinner gauge than the wire in your wall. If it is then if you overload it then the breaker will trip and prevent any problems, but if the extension is thinner then it will melt and catch fire without triggering the breaker.

But thick extension cords like that are $$$ and people tend to cheap out on them.

ok - would this one be alright

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/tripp-lite/P006-001/4896252

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

It really depends what the extension cord is leading to - if it's a dinky LED lamp you're fine, if it's a microwave you're asking for trouble.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

In wire gauge smaller number is bigger wire. Wall wire for normal applications in 10-12. 18 is pretty dinky but yeah if it’s only ever just running to a LED light and that power strip is only getting a couple of dinky things it’s probably okay, if you’re studious about it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Not your lamp’s power supply.

That “extension” doesn’t have a wall socket on the end. It has a C13 plug for devices that take that, e.g. PCs.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oh right i'm an idiot

this one is 16 gauge https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/tripp-lite/P024-001-13A/4896257

this is a 14 gauge splitter https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/tripp-lite/P024-001-15D-2/16807685

what I have plugged into the power strip is a two prong plug for the desk power, a larger adapter for a 4K monitor, the larger adapter pictured for the LED light, and a larger 30W power adapter for a macbook air

the cord on the power strip itself is 14 gauge

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Not advocating for shopping on Amazon, but an example of what could work: https://www.amazon.com/Listed-Miady-Short-Extension-Outlet/dp/B07H9LPFDB

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MyronMulch posted:

Not advocating for shopping on Amazon, but an example of what could work: https://www.amazon.com/Listed-Miady-Short-Extension-Outlet/dp/B07H9LPFDB

yeah I saw some others that were 16 gauge. I don't use amazon, but I think the 16 gauge tripp-lite one I just posted above would be fine?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I want a better camera than my phone to take pictures for my dating profile. What are my options? Is there a cheap "pro" camera I can get?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

kalel posted:

I want a better camera than my phone to take pictures for my dating profile. What are my options? Is there a cheap "pro" camera I can get?

Borrow your rich friend's new phone. Phone cameras are good enough that the main difference between professional photos and phone photos is in the editing phase. Also skill in lining up the shot, but you can't buy that either.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Plus lighting, figure out some good lighting.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why would a few lights in the middle of a strand of LED Christmas lights go out and how do I fix this? I tried swapping one of the bulbs from the dark section with a working one and it sort of lights, but it's really dim.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

kalel posted:

Yeah you can just use a better phone.

If you want a real camera for this, lots of camera shops will rent equipment. You’re looking for one of the entry level dslrs like a canon rebel or Nikon x000 series. The lens it comes with will work fine for what you’re doing. They all have portrait settings that produce results most people will be overjoyed with right out of the camera.

Another option, which is what all my friends did, is just ask your friend with a nice camera if they want to practice their portrait work and have a fun afternoon at a park taking campy glamour shots.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

BonHair posted:

Borrow your rich friend's new phone. Phone cameras are good enough that the main difference between professional photos and phone photos is in the editing phase. Also skill in lining up the shot, but you can't buy that either.

The key problem with phone cameras is that they tend to have wide-angle lenses, which distort features. You can minimize the distortion by using the least-wide-angle lens a phone has, and then putting the phone relatively far away to take the picture. Then crop the result and hope there is enough resolution on the original to survive the enlargement process.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
To be clear, “wide angle distortion” or “telephoto compression” are entirely a function of distance between camera and subject.

If you stand in the same place and crop, the only differences between taking the photo with a telephoto lens and a wide angle is the number of pixels you have left, and likely the effects of aperture (e.g. blur on the background).

It’s not practical to make a 24 mm lens with an aperture of f/0.6 but easy enough to get f/2.8 at 120 mm.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Why is it called the Midwest if it's in the east half of the USA? I legitimately thought Ohio was in the West half of the USA but it's... south of Michigan. It feels like the Upper Canada / Lower Canada mess but at least we dropped that one.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Why is it called the Midwest if it's in the east half of the USA? I legitimately thought Ohio was in the West half of the USA but it's... south of Michigan. It feels like the Upper Canada / Lower Canada mess but at least we dropped that one.

It used to be everything west of the Appalachians was "the West", but then we kept going wester and wester so the original west became mid-west. But also Ohio is like the extreme east end of the west, so it's a bit of an odd case... it also includes other very middle states like the Dakotas, Nebraska, and Kansas.

See also the Mid-Atlantic, which, depending who you ask, is Atlantic but not very Mid

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I think it's a similar pattern as "far east" vs "middle east" and the less-used "near east" (all terms named from a European perspective). The main population centers were in the eastern US so there was the mid west (kinda west but not all the way) and the west (all the way west). From a modern perspective looking at the whole country, it would make more sense to just call it the middle of the country. But if you think of the eastern states as the main part of it, as they used to be, it makes a bit more sense.

Related fact, try to guess where in the country Northwestern University is located

at the time, Chicago was in the northwestern corner of the US; now it's in the north-middle

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Near/middle/far East is even more weird when you consider that central Asia doesn't really fit in any of them. Calling Kazakhstan middle east feels weird to me at least.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

BonHair posted:

Near/middle/far East is even more weird when you consider that central Asia doesn't really fit in any of them. Calling Kazakhstan middle east feels weird to me at least.

Yeah there are a lot of issues with that naming scheme. I think they come from antiquity so I imagine they have to do more with trade routes than with actual geography. Nowadays I think it's generally accepted that "middle east" is mostly the Arabian peninsula, anything east or north of Iran is "central Asia," and then you've got south Asia and east Asia. At least those are the broad regions I usually see used. I'm sure they have their problems too, as with anything in geography.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I figured this out last year, but I'm dumb and forgot how, and google is not helping me:

I manage a google drive. Sometimes we share folders and files with external people, and I need to clean out permissions. How can I get a list of who has access to all the files and folders in our drive account (and remove permissions)? Manually reviewing every file and folder will take literal days of work.

I know this is possible, I did it myself, but I just can't remember how I did it. Has anyone dealt with this before?

e: I think it involved a .csv file, and i didn't install any sketchy third-party add-ons

Outrail fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 10, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
there's an api so you can write a program to do it at least
https://github.com/prasmussen/gdrive this user-made cli tool seems to have the option to list permissions for a file so you could script something up to loop through all the files in the drive and list them for each one

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

there's an api so you can write a program to do it at least
https://github.com/prasmussen/gdrive this user-made cli tool seems to have the option to list permissions for a file so you could script something up to loop through all the files in the drive and list them for each one

Unfortunately, my knowledge of coding and scripts begins with watching Hackers in 1996 and ends with The matrix in 1999. I think there's a hole punch involved somewhere?

I'm certain it didn't need anything like that the last time I did it. Can't belive I didn't make notes :/

Outrail fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 10, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I want to lend my PS4 to a friend so they can play Stray. This is simply a matter of physically lending it to them, right? They won't turn it on and connect it to their network to find that they've got to input my account password to access my games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

I want to lend my PS4 to a friend so they can play Stray. This is simply a matter of physically lending it to them, right? They won't turn it on and connect it to their network to find that they've got to input my account password to access my games?

as long as you don't have any other PS4s, you should be good. everything is fine if it's your primary console