Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

TheWeedNumber posted:

My face when the infantry has a better plan than SPECIAL OPERATORS of NAVAL SPECIAL WARFARE. See in the navy your rank is not just petty officer 1st class or chief fuckknuckles. You’re HM1 or SO1 or whatever two letter rate+# for the enlisted types. #justnavythings

Edit: To cover the chiefs, for the case of SEALs its SOC, SOCS or SOCM, then the warfare designator (SEAL, FMF, GOATC, whatever) if they ever earned some cool pin, etc. Basically what I’m saying is it’s probably not that much of a linguistic stretch to call a Master Chief in the SEALs a “succ-em”. Just gently caress that O up and fire away fam.

rank is petty officer 1st class, rating is SO1. posting this now so Mr. Nice! doesn't later. I know it doesn't really matter and it's just a technicality but seriously if I didn't post this Mr. Nice! would type up like two paragraphs about the topic or something. one time I asked him a question about sea power via text, like a simple one when I was studying for advancement, and he called me within a minute and gave like a 15 minute lecture on the history of sea power

anyway I don't know where I'm going with any of this, I just really don't want to study

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

maffew buildings posted:

rank is petty officer 1st class, rating is SO1. posting this now so Mr. Nice! doesn't later. I know it doesn't really matter and it's just a technicality but seriously if I didn't post this Mr. Nice! would type up like two paragraphs about the topic or something. one time I asked him a question about sea power via text, like a simple one when I was studying for advancement, and he called me within a minute and gave like a 15 minute lecture on the history of sea power

anyway I don't know where I'm going with any of this, I just really don't want to study

Thanks for the save…shipmate.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Pretend I posted like 20 :hehe: emojis after that shipmate. No but seriously, thanks fam. We dodged a bullet there.

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 10, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i bet i've destroyed more equipment than most seals

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
You have to love the Friday night twitter files dumps that amount to "people at twitter doing their job". It's loving pathetic.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

My father saved the city of New Orleans (or at least, the Gretna side of it) from being flooded by a Senior Chief SEAL in 1983.

I typed the whole story but thought better of posting it. So just trust me.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

No, you don’t even come close to a SEAL in terms of number of and price of things completely hosed up by the Trident boys.

No doubt you can gently caress up a multi million dollar yacht or a ferry, but have you hosed up and compromised a billion dollar Program? Because the SEALs did. See: Neptunes Spear.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

One of the things about Luttrell is that Lone Survivor is complete fiction. He put his weapon down while they were getting ambushed; and when he was recovered he was discovered to have his full load of magazines still on him. He’s admitted it, but it took years and he’s still cashing those royalty checks.

IIRC text messages from the SEALs who turned in Eddie Gallagher were later presented at his trial, with one set where they called Luttrell a coward being used as evidence to suggest they were a bunch of whiny millennials who hate the military rather than professionals reporting their psychotic chief.

If Delta and Army SOF have problems, they’re at least better about handling it in house rather than having it turn to tell-all exposes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7KsXwO6Ymw

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

GD_American posted:

My father saved the city of New Orleans (or at least, the Gretna side of it) from being flooded by a Senior Chief SEAL in 1983.

why would you do this

post it

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

GD_American posted:

As a New Orleans native I need to know this. Tell me please.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

No, you don’t even come close to a SEAL in terms of number of and price of things completely hosed up by the Trident boys.

No doubt you can gently caress up a multi million dollar yacht or a ferry, but have you hosed up and compromised a billion dollar Program? Because the SEALs did. See: Neptunes Spear.

Imma Google but go off champ, tell me how they hosed the pooch on this.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Just pppooosssttt

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://twitter.com/jacksettleman/status/1601397864051396613?t=k4kYfNgGTPqjHpMsNexNxA&s=19

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheWeedNumber posted:

Imma Google but go off champ, tell me how they hosed the pooch on this.

Ever hear of a Stealth Blackhawk before May 2nd, 2011? Nope? There is a reason for that. There’s also a reason why you’ve heard of them since May of 2011 and that reason is: :lol:SEAL’s can’t do demo or sanitize for poo poo:lol: We’re talking Team 6 guys, no less.

This is all a matter of public record, I’d be shocked if it weren’t all in the Wikipedia Articles. It was definitely in the NYT and WashPo and some other outlets.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
For the record, I know these guys can outperform me in any physical task. They couldn’t become SEALs otherwise. But goddamn the incompetence is near universal- they’re not a healthy community. I have no idea what MARSOC’s capabilities are, but I feel like the USMC could handle taking over the SEAL mission set as a part of MARSOC far cheaper than anyone else, and likely with less war criming and book writing.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Water beneath the Walls was a good book about Army and Marine Corps fuckups in WW2 that led to naval special warfare exsisting in the first place. The Army and Marines have only themselves to blame for the SEALs in a way.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

GD_American posted:

The Rock prequel?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I guess the short version- SEAL E-8 packrat decided to pile up surplus ammo from every exercise, range, and maybe just what he could get his hands on for the entire Naval Reserve Center there in N.O., in an unmarked off the books 40' van trailer parked 50 feet from the levee keeping the Mississippi River out.

So, an entire trailer full of every type of small arms caliber, 40mm grenades, LAWs, etc. Baking in the sun. Padlocked up, with nobody knowing.

Then the SEAL retired a few years before Dad got there. Dad got sick of nobody answering his questions about the trailer that wasn't on the books, and went and cut the lock.

The ammo got shot up at a hastily assembled drill weekend range at Camp Shelby a few days later. It was a dawn to dusk two day spendex.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ever hear of a Stealth Blackhawk before May 2nd, 2011? Nope? There is a reason for that. There’s also a reason why you’ve heard of them since May of 2011 and that reason is: :lol:SEAL’s can’t do demo or sanitize for poo poo:lol: We’re talking Team 6 guys, no less.

This is all a matter of public record, I’d be shocked if it weren’t all in the Wikipedia Articles. It was definitely in the NYT and WashPo and some other outlets.

I went to high school in Coronado and spent enough time at McPs that I completely believe this.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

gently caress I remember when that picture dropped and nerds from the ace combat skies website, who had a loving blog and wanted to start a PMC of all things, called it as a stealth Blackhawk. Lmfao.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Totally a coincidence that the SEALs have become what they are today when the organization's origins and history hit every single box on the "is this a cult?" checklist

-hidden knowledge available only to the chosen few
-neverending us vs them power struggle with "them" cast as the rest of the navy
-promise of god-challenging power and book deals for the faithful elect

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBUDyntqcUY

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

GD_American posted:

I guess the short version- SEAL E-8 packrat decided to pile up surplus ammo from every exercise, range, and maybe just what he could get his hands on for the entire Naval Reserve Center there in N.O., in an unmarked off the books 40' van trailer parked 50 feet from the levee keeping the Mississippi River out.

So, an entire trailer full of every type of small arms caliber, 40mm grenades, LAWs, etc. Baking in the sun. Padlocked up, with nobody knowing.

Then the SEAL retired a few years before Dad got there. Dad got sick of nobody answering his questions about the trailer that wasn't on the books, and went and cut the lock.

The ammo got shot up at a hastily assembled drill weekend range at Camp Shelby a few days later. It was a dawn to dusk two day spendex.

Whoa! Good he took the initiative.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

So is the stealth Blackhawk a real thing or is it just part of the "we got him" lore? I figure we really did kill bin laden but believe the story surrounding it is fake af

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

GD_American posted:

your dad owns

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Arson Daily posted:

So is the stealth Blackhawk a real thing or is it just part of the "we got him" lore? I figure we really did kill bin laden but believe the story surrounding it is fake af

I think the remaining one is parked for future museum exhibits.

What's this about the army getting Ospreys?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Arson Daily posted:

If you already don’t believe the story, there’s nothing I can say that will change your mind one way or the other RE: Stealth Blackhawks. I’m just some dude on Somethingawful.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

He does indeed. Joined as an E-1 in '64, two tours of Vietnam- one on a diesel sub, the other on a riverboat. Made it to E-8, jumped to warrant, did 28 years, was set to retire Sep 1 1990.

Saddam invaded Kuwait Aug 2 1990. So retirement got torn up, they put him on the Acadia and deployed him. (That ship made national news being nicknamed "The Love Boat" because about 40 women, fully 10% of its female crew went home pregnant during that cruise). They released him May 3rd, and he essentially hitchhiked his way from the Gulf to San Diego across the military logistics network with hours to spare for his daughter's wedding on May 5th.

That's why I've always especially detested those "husband surprise return from deployment" videos. We had the real thing, and it didn't take place in front of a news crew.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I don't really care either way. You tell me it's true I believe you, you tell me it's fakeass ooh-rah bullshit I believe you too. Either way I believe that the US government killed OBL, I just don't really care about the how and who and with what

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Arson Daily posted:

Blackhawks were real, a kill mission was real. Capturing him was never ever in the cards. That part is a lie for sure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The U.S. government wanted him dead, but probably didn’t want him canoed.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I have to imagine if you literally had captured OBL and handed him over to DoD on live camera, he still would have had "a medical emergency" before long. No way the Obama administration wanted the heat of a trial, or even the pre-trial Gitmo detention.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

GD_American posted:

He does indeed. Joined as an E-1 in '64, two tours of Vietnam- one on a diesel sub, the other on a riverboat. Made it to E-8, jumped to warrant, did 28 years, was set to retire Sep 1 1990.

Saddam invaded Kuwait Aug 2 1990. So retirement got torn up, they put him on the Acadia and deployed him. (That ship made national news being nicknamed "The Love Boat" because about 40 women, fully 10% of its female crew went home pregnant during that cruise). They released him May 3rd, and he essentially hitchhiked his way from the Gulf to San Diego across the military logistics network with hours to spare for his daughter's wedding on May 5th.

That's why I've always especially detested those "husband surprise return from deployment" videos. We had the real thing, and it didn't take place in front of a news crew.

Nice! Glad he made it back in time.

What was the role of diesel subs in Vietnam? Keeping an eye on north Vietnamese harbor traffic, or pilot rescue? Or did they have missiles yet?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The Stealth Blackhawk has been confirmed by DoD- and Pakistani ISI.

Re: Neptune's Spear- the government could not allow UBL taken alive. Period. That would give the opportunity for him to get a fair trial, or turned over to the ICC. What they did want was the ability to show to the world that we killed him; several men taking turns shooting him in the face after he was dead (as sourced in the various accounts) ruined that ability.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not like it’s some huge unknown if Osama bin Laden was alive long after the Abbottabad raid.

If he were not dead, he would have released some proof of life, like a video mentioning current events.

To make a conspiracy out of it, people have to suppose that he was already dead and that the U.S. government confirmed this and decided to take falsely claim credit.

That’s just not a very exciting conspiracy theory, and it’s not like people wouldn’t have come up with other silly theories if the body had been recognizable and not unceremoniously dumped at sea.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bulletsponge13 posted:

The Stealth Blackhawk has been confirmed by DoD- and Pakistani ISI.

Re: Neptune's Spear- the government could not allow UBL taken alive. Period. That would give the opportunity for him to get a fair trial, or turned over to the ICC. What they did want was the ability to show to the world that we killed him; several men taking turns shooting him in the face after he was dead (as sourced in the various accounts) ruined that ability.

Guess they were just “really good shots” as a DEVGRU SEAL might quip.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Wonder if they got him like two weeks after 9/11, if the Afghan war would have happened at all.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Nice! Glad he made it back in time.

What was the role of diesel subs in Vietnam? Keeping an eye on north Vietnamese harbor traffic, or pilot rescue? Or did they have missiles yet?

I've never gotten anything more than vague stories. Largely about funny poo poo that happened inside the ship while "we were in places we weren't supposed to be and it would have been really bad to be caught". Old man will take the juicy poo poo to his grave; he's a big believer in OPSEC

He did tell me a bit about SBU-22's role in Iran-Contra, which was basically taking brand new Boston Whalers and eliminating every single serial number on every part before painting them black, mounting gun pintles and signing them over to "a real prick of a Marine lieutenant colonel"

GD_American fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GD_American posted:

I believe every word of this post.

Did you know the Royal Navy lost track of two German destroyers they took over after World War One? Yeah, they moored them just off a naval base and allowed them to just settle into the mud of the harbor. It took almost a century for someone to notice.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 10, 2022