Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

US Soccer's statement.

https://twitter.com/ussoccer/status/1601401947692863489?t=Zv9JiX9KflONpOKQeVavzA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Shocking news. This was his most recent post. Not surprised if the powers that be didn't take well to it: https://grantwahl.substack.com/p/world-cup-daily-day-25

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
that is so hosed, send in the drones to liberate the qatari royal family ASAP

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

That’s hosed up and it’s even more hosed up it’s not surprising

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’s tragic for Grant’s family and friends, it’s sad for fans who enjoyed his work, and depending on the circumstances could be an actual international incident, but

EC10 posted:

Don’t do this. Not now.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Not suspicious at all

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/1601321502653419521

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
They definitely iced him, what the gently caress

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

harperdc posted:

It’s tragic for Grant’s family and friends, it’s sad for fans who enjoyed his work, and depending on the circumstances could be an actual international incident, but

Don’t do this. Not now.

The Something Awful Committee for Moderation and Legacy

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

harperdc posted:

Don’t do this. Not now.

Hi, we allow some hyperbole around here when it comes to quite shocking news from murderous regimes and don't particularly feel a need for decorum towards some of the worst examples of state authority currently in power.

That said, please can we make sure this doesn't get stupid and in turn make me look stupid folks. I'm looking at you TRP regulars.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

You can't imagine they'd be dumb enough to do it but that's one hell of a coincidence

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

You can't imagine they'd be dumb enough to do it but that's one hell of a coincidence

I hope you're right but the absolute barely contained rage from that official when asked about that worker death in that interview was palpable.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

harperdc posted:

Don’t do this. Not now.

It’s absolutely not the time for that kind of talk. 100 years ago, mind

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Waiting for Qatar officials to put out a statement: "Wahl clearly was unable to handle the excitement of the Argentina vs Netherlands match"

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Technically Grant Wahl was a migrant worker

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

EC10 posted:

Also we already sent in the drones fyi

https://apnews.com/article/iran-united-states-middle-east-qatar-doha-bf3b70dbd1cd743fbeb2bc7a8402e24e

A Buffer Gay Dude fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 10, 2022

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I'm normally of the mind that generally the most likely outcome is true, and in cases like these, it'd be a freak accident, but I'm having a hard time fully believing that right now.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
loving hell that’s awful to hear :smith:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

marioinblack posted:

I'm normally of the mind that generally the most likely outcome is true, and in cases like these, it'd be a freak accident, but I'm having a hard time fully believing that right now.

I'm not going to go too :tinfoil: but I am going to entertain it given they're accused of disappearing other people that have spoken out about the poo poo in Qatar.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Not to be a provocateur but was he ill?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

And here I thought today was wild enough.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Not to be a provocateur but was he ill?

There's a claim he thought he had bronchitis but his family are now saying they don't believe that was the case, rather there was foul play.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

He said on his podcast he had bronchitis. So a covid-related complication seems most likely; I guess the other possibility is that Qatari authorities poisoned him? In any case, unless he's somehow sent to the US immediately for an autopsy, I don't think his family will ever feel they know the truth.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

marioinblack posted:

I mean, a perfectly healthy 48 year old dude just dropping dead seems like a less likely outcome than the Qatar government killing a protestor.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

there were no consequences for the Saudis after sawing a journalists head, the Qatari authorities know nothing will happen to them

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I'm going to bed so if any bad posts get made and reported you'll be at the mercy of the sex ghost

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

I'm going to bed so if any bad posts get made and reported you'll be at the mercy of the sex ghost
Sex Ghost Coast to Coast

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

This has got me pretty hosed up, to be honest. Like, I never sought out or necessarily even cared about Wahl’s opinions or anything, but he’s been a staple of American soccer journalism/punditry since I really started following the sport in the late 2000s. And that there’s even the suggestion that it’s not an accident is pretty hosed up.

I don’t know, folks. Really left a dark stain on what was otherwise a wonderful day of footy.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 10, 2022

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

de curry GOAT posted:

there were no consequences for the Saudis after sawing a journalists head, the Qatari authorities know nothing will happen to them

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

This has got me pretty hosed up, to be honest. Like, I never sought out or necessarily even cared about Wahl’s opinions or anything, but he’s been a staple of American soccer journalism/punditry since I really started following the sport in the late 2000s. And that there’s even the suggestion that it’s not an accident is pretty hosed up.

I don’t know, folks. Really left a dark stain on what was otherwise a wonderful day of footy.

Same, op

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This has got me pretty hosed up, to be honest. Like, I never sought out or necessarily even cared about Wahl’s opinions or anything, but he’s been a staple of American soccer journalism/punditry since I really started following the sport in the late 2000s.
I'm pretty sure he was proficient enough at covering the sport he was sent to cover a World Cup almost straight out of college, and I think this was World Cup #7 or 8 for him as a writer.

This is really, really weird.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Yeah. For non-Americans who may not know, Wahl was probably the most respected American soccer journalist. His work was absolutely everywhere. He was a really big part of the American soccer landscape, for better or worse.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I'm also curious why it took 6-7 hours for news about this to get out if he died at the stadium.

Nostradingus posted:

Yeah. For non-Americans who may not know, Wahl was probably the most respected American soccer journalist. His work was absolutely everywhere. He was a really big part of the American soccer landscape, for better or worse.
He was also a pretty well-respected writer in general. He wrote the "Chosen One" article about then junior in high school LeBron James that basically introduced him to a wider national audience.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm also curious why it took 6-7 hours for news about this to get out if he died at the stadium.

And he was live tweeting the game.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

de curry GOAT posted:

they have the biggest US airbase in the Middle East and their natural gas is critical for not having europe freeze to death as long as the russian sanctions are in place. Unfortunately greed and practicality will once again triumph over justice.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Crazy Ted posted:

According to his brother: "He collapsed at the stadium, was given cpr, was taken by Uber to hospital and died according to Celine."

So it sounds like he didn't die immediately. And it sounds like the stadium didn't have an ambulance available for medical emergencies, which is grossly negligent at an event this size.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

holy gently caress

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Chamale posted:

So it sounds like he didn't die immediately. And it sounds like the stadium didn't have an ambulance available for medical emergencies, which is grossly negligent at an event this size.
Well I guess you can chalk it up to another World Cup related thing that Qatar just didn't give a poo poo about.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
https://twitter.com/thegoalkeeper/status/1601415112832811009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
There probably was an ambulance , but for players, officials, or all the other fans :smith: man this sucks.