Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

My base got infected with the fungus so I moved 10 grazing animals into a pen where the majority of it is, and they just can't seem to eat it fast enough. Is the best option just building flooring over it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Why are you silly dwarfs hauling stuff? There's plenty of other things to do. I do not need my rocks in a pile as a priority!

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

thunderspanks posted:

Hello friends, I come bearing a gift. Replace your existing announcements.txt file (BACK IT UP FIRST with this and you will have the full Classic DF Announcement Pausing/Recentering Experience.

edit: goodbye enormous wall of text, hello downloadable text file!

Navigate to install dir>data>init, rename your old file and simply drop this one into place.

Now your game will pause, recenter, AND give you a popup box for the following events:

Migrants
Ambushes
Skulking Thieves
Snatchers
Caravans
Caravans Need Depot
Caravans Bypass Site
Noble arrivals
Diplomats
Liaisons
Cave Collapse
Citizen Births
Strange Moods
Strange Mood Building Claiming
Artifact Creation
Artifact Naming
Megabeast Arrival
Werebeast Arrival
Citizen Death
Ghost Attack
Undead Attack
Strange Cloud
Trained Animal Reverts to Wild
Noble Position Succession
Citizen Lost to Stress
Citizen Tantrum
Citizen Snatched
Election Results
New Demand
New Mandate
Possessed Tantrum
Deity Curse
Crime Witnesses
"End Game Events"

Just requoting this because I searched back a ways for it in case anyone else is looking.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

What Skill loadouts are people giving their starting seven these days? Last time I got deep into that was back before Zones were a useful thing, and while the default "Play Now" dorfs are good enough, I still feel like I could optimize the workflow a bit. At least find a way to fit a second miner in there somewhere.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

My first forgotten beast showed up! It was a giant freakin' spider in my caverns.

Ok, I got my 15 military dwarves together and stationed them at the one staircase into the caverns that I have. It was wandering around down there. Maybe I should initiate and engage?

... nope! Definitely not. Well, eventually it wandered its way to my cavern entrance/exit and I ordered my dwarves to attack it. Basically the same thing that happened to the troglodytes (getting one-shot by its giant feet) happened to my dwarves. Except you know how I had mentioned in my previous post that two necromancers had migrated at some point? Yeah, one of them was in a squad and the moment his fellow mates went down he just rezzed them.

The "strategy" basically turned into distracting the spider long enough with risen-corpses until something finally happened. I'm actually not sure at what point the tide changed, except that the zombies were now punching the spider and one of the living dwarves got a couple hits in with a weapon before going down. Eventually the beast succumbed to the assault.

I now have four zombie-dwarves. Luckily my novice doctor is on the case:

I can't seem to put them back into the military but can otherwise assign them labors as usual. Cool, I guess?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I'm stuck on what should be a simple problem. I want to extend a staircase up a floor where I haven't mined out above.

Basically I dug down, put in a drawbridge and now I want to go up to some dirt from the stairs behind the drawbridge that go into my fort proper.

I can't mine up, the game won't let me build the staircase up since it's not mined, and converting stairs from down to up/down didn't make it to steam.

So how do I build up to an unmined floor?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I'm trying to set up small feeder stockpiles for my kitchen and still. The kitchen happened just fine, but is there any easy way to select brewable stuff for the still stockpile? Or do I have to go through the list of fruit/leaves and plants and manually select everything that can be brewed?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

I'm stuck on what should be a simple problem. I want to extend a staircase up a floor where I haven't mined out above.

Basically I dug down, put in a drawbridge and now I want to go up to some dirt from the stairs behind the drawbridge that go into my fort proper.

I can't mine up, the game won't let me build the staircase up since it's not mined, and converting stairs from down to up/down didn't make it to steam.

So how do I build up to an unmined floor?

dont quote me cuz idk for sure but reading the thread earlier someone was asking the same q and the response was that its just not possible atm, known issue with this version. Try building a new stair up into a wall nearby or something?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

What Skill loadouts are people giving their starting seven these days? Last time I got deep into that was back before Zones were a useful thing, and while the default "Play Now" dorfs are good enough, I still feel like I could optimize the workflow a bit. At least find a way to fit a second miner in there somewhere.

unless you're going into untamed wilds or an evil biome you probably don't need to spend your starting skill points on mining at all. they'll get good at it within a season and legendary within 2 years at the most. i tailor the skills around the dwarf's personality but i'm always shooting for:

a stone carver
a carpenter
a cook
a brewer
an expedition leader/broker (judge of intent, appraiser, negotiator, etc.)
a doctor
a farmer
a weaponsmith
an armorsmith

and that'll leave you with room for 4 more skills to raise to 5 based on what you want to emphasize in your playstyle. dwarves are strong enough to do brute-force tasks like mining, woodcutting, etc. passably well even without skills and they'll improve rapidly, and a lot of other vital crafting tasks are only sped up, not improved, by dwarf skill.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

canepazzo posted:

Second question: I am not attracting migrants for the fifth season in a row, my civilization is still alive and prospering, but no migrants. Any ideas what causes it?

Anyone else with the same issue: it was the merchant caravan stuck in my map. I deconstructed the trade depot and they left.

The very next season: 54 migrants. And the monkey paw curls one more finger...

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

hello internet posted:

My base got infected with the fungus so I moved 10 grazing animals into a pen where the majority of it is, and they just can't seem to eat it fast enough. Is the best option just building flooring over it?
Why are you trying to get rid of your fungus? Fungus is great. You can raise all your animals underground now.

That's like saying "there's all this grass in front of my house, I've got a goat to munch on it for hours but it's still there." It's there for good now and that's fine.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

thunderspanks posted:

Has anyone figured out if/how macros work with mouse control?

Ok so if anyone is wondering (and I highly recommend you wrap your head around macros in the long run if you haven't already) it is not possible with mouse controls. However, you can turn keyboard controls on in the settings, and it works!

Now the problem- it only works to record with a very specific key sequence, for me at least. What I've discovered is that you must get your mining selector where you want the macro to start recording. Then push CTRL+r to start recording. Then hit 'm', yes, even though you're already in mining mode, you must hit it again after starting to record or it just spews garbage on playback. The rest is as it ever was, use the keyboard to map out your macro, hit CTRL+r to stop recording and CTRL+s to save.

Once I figured that out I got all my major floor assignments done in no time. Hot tip- use it in combination with blueprint mode. Your future forts will thank you.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

After a couple false starts I think I'm understanding the basics and got a reasonable little outpost built, with individual bedrooms, a tavern, plump helmets and fish sufficient enough to keep booze and food churning out, and even an underground reservoir and well. I read somewhere that flood gates could work vertically but I could not place them once I channeled out the floor, so either that's out of date or I'm doing it wrong... ended up with a less optimal method of feeding water from the river into the reservoir under the well.

F1 - Wood and Refuse stockpiles, Pasture

B1 - Trade Hall, water inlet from brook

B2 - Craft Hall, Mushroom Farm, Tavern, Well, Storage

B3 - Offices, Reservoir Top

B4 - Bedrooms, Bunkroom, Reservoir Bottom

I think organizing some of these newcomers into a Militia is the next order of business.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

explosivo posted:

My crossbow squad won't seem to pick up the bolts I have around, anyone know why? I accidentally deleted the preset loadouts so I'm using a custom one, and can't find anything in the uniform menu to add ammo. They have crossbows and quivers but the bolts aren't getting picked up for some reason.

Okay I think it's bugged or something because I deleted the squad and re-created it using the same loadout and everything and they picked up bolts right away and started practicing.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Quinton posted:

After a couple false starts I think I'm understanding the basics and got a reasonable little outpost built, with individual bedrooms, a tavern, plump helmets and fish sufficient enough to keep booze and food churning out, and even an underground reservoir and well. I read somewhere that flood gates could work vertically but I could not place them once I channeled out the floor, so either that's out of date or I'm doing it wrong... ended up with a less optimal method of feeding water from the river into the reservoir under the well.

F1 - Wood and Refuse stockpiles, Pasture

B1 - Trade Hall, water inlet from brook

B2 - Craft Hall, Mushroom Farm, Tavern, Well, Storage

B3 - Offices, Reservoir Top

B4 - Bedrooms, Bunkroom, Reservoir Bottom

I think organizing some of these newcomers into a Militia is the next order of business.

Unsolicited advice ahead!

Trader carts need a 3 wide entrance to reach your trade depot and I don't believe they can use stairs, it needs to be a ramp if you're not gonna put it on ground level.

Also it's usually advised to build a 3x3 or at least 2x2 main stairway through your fort as at larger populations you'll have a lot of dwarves running up and down those stairs.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Is there a way to view requests I need to do? Someone asked for a temple right before I went to do something else...and now I don't remember who wants the temple.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I'm trying to set up small feeder stockpiles for my kitchen and still. The kitchen happened just fine, but is there any easy way to select brewable stuff for the still stockpile? Or do I have to go through the list of fruit/leaves and plants and manually select everything that can be brewed?

Quoting myself because I was wrong and I think either it's bugged, or I set something up wrong. I set up 4 feeder piles around my kitchen. One each for meat, fruit/leaves, milled things like flour, and cheeses. They are set to take from my big stockpile, and give to my kitchen. My kitchen, meanwhile, is set to give everything it makes to my dining hall prepared meal stockpile. To make sure I hit the right icon, the one with the arrow pointing towards the stockpile takes from another pile and gives it to this one, right? And the one with the arrow pointing away moves things from this pile to another place, right?

Assuming I have that all correct, nothing's working. No one is hauling anything to the feeder piles, and my kitchen keeps canceling making the meals I'm trying to get set up. I unlinked the feeder piled and suddenly the kitchen is making food again, but of course the dwarf working it is rendering a whole pile of tallow, probably for a big batch of tallow roasts or some bullshit. What do I do here?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Athanatos posted:

Is there a way to view requests I need to do? Someone asked for a temple right before I went to do something else...and now I don't remember who wants the temple.

Had literally the same problem and googled around, apparently not

I've been keeping a notepad handy

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Athanatos posted:

I haven't found an easy way to do it. A roundabout way is that the petitioner will usually be the largest untempled religion in your fort (you see the number of worshippers as you go to assign the temple), and in the details screen there will be a "agreed to build temple) notation.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Athanatos posted:

Go to establish the temple and mouse over the religions as you scroll through, look for anything that rings a vague bell, or shoot from the hip and go with whichever one the tooltip says has the biggest following in your Fort.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is there any way that I can have dwarves manually move water in buckets from a surface river to my underground cistern? I don't have an aquifer and drowned my last fort trying to get water inside so I just want to do it manually for now

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
wow this iteration of DF is amazing everything looks so nice i'm loving mouse support

good poo poo imo

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

deep dish peat moss posted:

Is there any way that I can have dwarves manually move water in buckets from a surface river to my underground cistern? I don't have an aquifer and drowned my last fort trying to get water inside so I just want to do it manually for now
Designate the cistern as a pond. Try to make the cistern as close to the river as is feasible, as the dwarf jogs. You may want to designate the cistern to have multiple overlapping ponds (so if it's 2 x 2, try to set it up so there's four "ponds" so you get four bucket brigade jobs going).

e: If it's really on the back of beyond, you can probably set up an intermediate pond along the way and fill that. You're fighting the evaporation that will abruptly stop mattering once the water hits 3 layers deep out of 7.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 10, 2022

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Quinton posted:

After a couple false starts I think I'm understanding the basics and got a reasonable little outpost built

Hell yeah nice you got it man!

Just take the advice of other dude and you are well on your way, awesome as poo poo

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
I’ve got a werelizard corpse sitting in my workshop areas just rotting and :gas:ing everyone, but no dwarves are picking it up even if I set the body to be dumped. How do I get rid of it? There’s no werelizard option for dumping areas.

duck.exe fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 10, 2022

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Is there no easy way to see who might be good at something? Like I want to select a dwarf to make my weapons and armor do I just need to go through each one individually to see if anyone has any skill? I had one labeled as armorsmith before but I had them do something else and I can't remember who it was.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I have some dwarfs complaining about a cave in after felling a tree. I'm guessing that means the tree landed on them? :lol:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Is there no easy way to see who might be good at something? Like I want to select a dwarf to make my weapons and armor do I just need to go through each one individually to see if anyone has any skill? I had one labeled as armorsmith before but I had them do something else and I can't remember who it was.

At your smith workshop if you select the icon to set the workshop so only one dwarf works there it will give you a list of all your dwarves and their proficiency level.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

Popete posted:

At your smith workshop if you select the icon to set the workshop so only one dwarf works there it will give you a list of all your dwarves and their proficiency level.

Perfect, thanks.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Popete posted:

whoaaaa, thanks

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

duck.exe posted:

I’ve got a demon corpse sitting in my workshop areas just rotting and :gas:ing everyone, but no dwarves are picking it up even if I set the body to be dumped. How do I get rid of it?

dumping assignment only works if you have a dumping zone. a corpse stockpile would do too without needing to manually tell them to move it

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Is it normal to acquire like 40 elven, goblin and human bards and poets who want to join your fort so they can just party nonstop in your tavern? I'm not sure if I should kick them out for being mooches or wait and see if anything goes awry with this.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Is it normal to acquire like 40 elven, goblin and human bards and poets who want to join your fort so they can just party nonstop in your tavern? I'm not sure if I should kick them out for being mooches or wait and see if anything goes awry with this.
I usually let in like two and tell the rest to hit the road. They do eventually petition to become full citizens and you can at that point chain them to the pumps if you need to.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

I have some dwarfs complaining about a cave in after felling a tree. I'm guessing that means the tree landed on them? :lol:

In my tutorial fort I cut down a tree that crashed through two z levels (first level was soil/farm/clay whatever) and killed my manager while he was sitting at his office chair!

I've got 130+ dwarves now but will always have that one tile of floor that I patched up on the ground z-level that the tree crashed through haha

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

The tale of two necromancers continues.

A while back, the Sect of Dust, a faith worshipping the deity of murder and death Gedor, asked for a personal temple. So I built them one:

At the time the statues, decorations etc weren't quite enough to get it to become prestigious enough, so I stuck an artifact mug on a pedestal in the middle.

Well, at some point it went missing, and maybe around the time I personally noticed it, I also got someone who reported it stolen. No leads aside from that, so I had my law dorf go around interrogating randoms to see if anyone knew anything. Well, about ten dwarves in one of them just flat out confessed!

(Ironic that the artifact was named "the Depths of Vanishing" lol.)
The necromancer got a slap on the wrist and 28 days in jail. Unfortunately, this goblin monster slayer is nowhere around, so I guess the case kind of ends there. Maybe at some point a visiting bard will let me know they know where it went and I can try to go on a mission to get it back, but I admit I've never interacted with any of that so I don't know how it works.

Downside to the justice system: I've been naming all my dwarves random names to make them more memorable to me in the case that they get up to something, but the justice system uses their original names. Actually, what's worse, is it uses their original names + translated last names, whereas the unit list shows their nicknames + untranslated last names. Oof. :negative:

edit: after I got done typing this and dealing with a new migrant wave, this same necromancer got elected mayor. Hooo boy.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

One of my first forts I said yes to every single petitioner and literally ended up with over 100 bards chilling in my tavern, it got to the point they actually started making the dent in my 500+ drink stockpile lol. I would probably maybe check them out to see if they have any particularly good skills and otherwise tell them to hit da bricks. They do eventually turn into citizens about two years later after which you can assign them labors. (Unrelated but I remember someone mentioning that you can cheese labors for residents by going directly to the labor tab while viewing the actual unit, but I can't be bothered with that...)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My intention with this boring box design was to build myself a tower carved into this mountain to protect myself from undead invasion. i realize as this siege starts that i have easy come easy go ramps on most edges, the doors do nothing, i have no military. i dont know how to get my dwarfs to even get inside even if these hatches were actually built and could be locked.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is there a difference making walls out of block versus stone?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Nessus posted:

I usually let in like two and tell the rest to hit the road. They do eventually petition to become full citizens and you can at that point chain them to the pumps if you need to.

OK good to know. I even had a DEMON vibing to some music at one point, but he decided not to stick around. My tavern must be awesome.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Popete posted:

Is there a difference making walls out of block versus stone?
Using naturally occuring intact stone means building destroyers can't bust through. For most other purposes it doesn't really matter.

e: if you mean like, mined stone, no, other than that I believe you get 4 blocks from one "carve blocks" job -- but you can also get mined stone RIGHT NOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

Using naturally occuring intact stone means building destroyers can't bust through. For most other purposes it doesn't really matter.

I mean using mined stone to construct a wall not unmined stone.