Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Very nice. One thing I can see though: you don't have a way of disposing of CO2. as O2 depletes, CO2 will build up, and since it's heavier than O2, it'll pile up until It makes the rocket unusable. You might want to swap the places on the bed and gas pump, then have a filter that routes non-O2 gases to be dumped overboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

HolHorsejob posted:

Very nice. One thing I can see though: you don't have a way of disposing of CO2. as O2 depletes, CO2 will build up, and since it's heavier than O2, it'll pile up until It makes the rocket unusable. You might want to swap the places on the bed and gas pump, then have a filter that routes non-O2 gases to be dumped overboard.

CO2 breath packets are small, and the vent on the bottom row will overwrite it with 1kg of oxygen when it passes over the vent tile. It works fine. You can just use a storage bin with oxylite and the offgassing oxylite will do the same thing, but that will gradually overpressure the capsule by doing that, which the pump->vent should avoid (unless a stray drop of liquid turns it into infinite gas storage).

E: Overpressurising the capsule also makes all the CO2 compress onto a single tile, but I suspect I might need to pump out the capsule when I get home as that tile is now 4kg, and won't get overwritten by the vent.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 16, 2022

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I stopped using the CO2 oxylite overwriting glitch sense it also seemed to be making my capsules go to subzero temperatures as well. Or maybe that was for some other reason.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

The vent on the bottom works nicely and doesn't overpressure, and as you're pumping for the suit dock anyway. If I have the spare 2 spaces for a second filter I like to add a dedicated CO2 removal line and put the pump in the bedroom and use the washroom bonus instead.

That's one of the things I really like about the spaced out rocketry - there's enough scope and variation for the layout to be an interesting puzzle in itself, and once you do a couple of landings, and maybe settled base, you kind of realise how little you need to keep a dupe alive for many turns. And it turns getting, for example, sleet wheat from just building a rocket and waiting, into a space adventure.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

oh jay posted:

I stopped using the CO2 oxylite overwriting glitch sense it also seemed to be making my capsules go to subzero temperatures as well. Or maybe that was for some other reason.
This happened for me when I started dumping materials into the cabin from the cargo hold to haul more at once without dumping them onto an insulated tile; most (all?) space materials are freezing.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Food-wise, freshness-spiced grubfruit preserve doesn't go off in a fridge, which is nice, but the spicer is.. flaky. They do some jobs, then randomly it stops having an errand. Unselect the food and select it again, it resets and they start spicing again. Very strange and annoying.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
gdi you idiots

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

There's a mod somewhere to reduce the occurrences of your dupes trapping themselves via construction.

Or you could ask for help on the discord, and have someone tell you the game is fine, you're just playing wrong.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

They are brilliantly suicidal :)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

HolHorsejob posted:

There's a mod somewhere to reduce the occurrences of your dupes trapping themselves via construction.

Or you could ask for help on the discord, and have someone tell you the game is fine, you're just playing wrong.

There was some Reddit (yes yes, I know) Discord channel for ONI and they were doing challenges where we all start on the same seed and basically compare notes on how we had individually built out. Sounded fun and chill so I joined in.

A few hours later I asked some minor technical question and cue some rando barfing numbers at me and screaming "NO UR WRONG LOOK AT MY NUMBERS" when it really was only tangentially related to my question, which they had totally failed to understand (or maybe even read). I quit shortly after all that unpleasantness.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Dunno-Lars posted:

They are brilliantly suicidal :)

Tbf if I awakened to consciousness in the middle of an asteroid and had to race against time to keep from starving, suffocating, and pissing myself, all while watching a clone of myself work as an AI gave me orders, I'd probably cask of amontillado myself too

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The ONI subreddit is terrible because when someone who is clearly a beginner asks a simple question, the top answer is always to build infinite liquid/gas storage.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
These various buildings that just barf natgas out into the world rather than have an output pipe are the bane of my existence.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I generally put those in a room with a natural gas vent, just make it the general gas room.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I use piped outputs mod and harbor no guilt for doing so.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

HolHorsejob posted:

Tbf if I awakened to consciousness in the middle of an asteroid and had to race against time to keep from starving, suffocating, and pissing myself, all while watching a clone of myself work as an AI gave me orders, I'd probably cask of amontillado myself too

Good point and can't say I disagree.

For buildings that poo poo out gas, always vacuum out the room and put in an airlock. If it's the oil refinery, you might want to use oil instead of water as I think it might get hot enough to boil away the water.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also you’ve got oil right there.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I just put them outside the sealed base part and let them fart into the world. At some point, I'll make a big powerless gas sorter that pulls from a ring of gas pipes (so they just circle round and round until a filter can take them) then have a pump at the top for hydrogen, a pump at the bottom for the CO2, and anything outside the sealed base can do whatever it likes.Unless the pressure gets crazy high, then just pump it onto the sorting loop and jobs done.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

You can also just open the top of the map and let it all vent out over time. Seal up your base and only let dupes out in suits, and the rest might as well be vacuum. Or steam for the heat transfer!

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
New beta patch

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/144996-game-update-public-testing-534208/

quote:

Geysers now display an Average Output once analyzed.

:toot:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I guess that's just to save you having to calculate it yourself? guess it's time to get back on the beta :getin:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Average outputs will not help me at all, because I will never remember the conversation ratios of water to oxygen to dupes.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It’s 1000 -> 888 -> 100, but an easy thing to remember is one electrolyzer per barracks.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

"Klei Rewards webpage", huh

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
I think the idea is to add "tip jar" cosmetic microtransactions to the game as a way to monetize it, instead of asking people to buy an expansion every few years. I don't think Klei are entirely happy with how Spaced Out worked out, since they now have two space exploration systems to support, and more expansions would make that type of problem worse.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah I poked around a little and it seems that it's been going on for about three years now. As long as it doesn't become something other than trinkets it's fine. I just like Klei a lot and don't want to see them git mired in endless microtransactions.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/110206-introducing-klei-rewards/

quote:

We are introducing a system that will allow players to collect "points" on their accounts by doing various things like subscribing to our Youtube or following us on Twitter and then use those points to get items. Currently we will be using this to distribute our out of cycle Twitch items rather than selling them as we had previously suggested. This allows players to get what they missed before or just get them without going through Twitch.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The beta had a pretty massive memory leak which today's patch fixed (along with a bunch of other crashes). I'm surprised anyone managed to experience any other kind of crash because the memory leak was so bad - about 25GB/hr on my machine, which I only found out about the first time when it crashed my entire system (with 32GB physical ram) with the process taking up 90GB of page file.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
lol, that would explain why shutdown is so slow on the beta. I also ran into "sprites" disappearing. Dupes, critters, some buildings

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

ah, well. so much for the magma drip

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I've never bothered building any kind of magma drip, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't look anything like that.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
All I know is it had something to do with two mesh tiles stacked was supposed to turn it into hot rocks. Maybe it needs a longer shaft :v:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I haven't yet reached a point where I can build one but from what I can tell from watching a lot of videos recently:

1) The magma has to drip from the end of a magma blade, which has to run 10 tiles so it only drips off the edge. Any more and it will turn into a full tile when cooled, which is not what you want, since you'd then have to mine it out.
2) There needs to be a solid tile under the two mesh tiles, with a free space diagonally down and to the side of the bottom mesh tile. Since the game won't let the magma solidify inside the mesh tile, it teleports out, and the nearest free space is the diagonally open one (since you put another mesh tile on top).

e for content:

My current map has quite a lot of salt water just from random caves, plus several more geysers around which I haven't even opened up yet.

The plan: run a bunch of desalinators in a steam room. (note: I'm running a mod with airtight airlocks)

The reality: The salt water within the machines is cooling the machines down too much for it to become a steam room. This might change once I get a place to store a ton of fresh water? Right now there's only about 1/4 capacity going through each because it's just going straight to consumers. The good news is I'm not even close to running out of water.

If this doesn't work out in the long term I'm ready to just stick a few aquatuners down at the bottom of the pool and turn half of the map into a steam room.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 10, 2022

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
It doesn't need to be the full 10 tiles. I usually save space by making them shorter. Usually around 5 I think.

You need a powered and automated steel airlock above the two mesh tiles to limit the amount that passes through the mesh tiles in one batch. You need a filter gate to keep it open for a short amount of time, around 0.1 to 0.3s I think. Unfortunately that partially depends on how fast your game is running because the physics in the game will skip cycles when it's laggy and need more time for fluid movement. You will also need a buffer gate to keep it shut between drops (maybe 10s?) and a memory toggle that gets reset by a temperature sensor. Francis John has a good explainer on setting it up, it's hard to visual until you've made one.

When I use those droppers I have diamond tiles on the bottom and side of the mesh except for one diagonal. I'm not sure if the lava will transfer heat while falling. I don't think so. If you want to transfer heat from full tiles you'll need to leave out the mesh and put in an auto miner.

So the lava has to land on a tile while inside the mesh tile. Then it will rapidly transfer heat until it solidifies. If the mass is under a certain amount it will form debris instead of a solid tile, and get kicked out of the mesh. The mesh has to be fully enclosed except for diagonals in order to keep a vacuum.

That's probably not a great explanation but Francis John's explainers are really good for building your first one.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah, I finally remembered FJ has videos on it and I was grossly oversimplifying the process. Ah well.

quote:

The reality: The salt water within the machines is cooling the machines down too much for it to become a steam room. This might change once I get a place to store a ton of fresh water? Right now there's only about 1/4 capacity going through each because it's just going straight to consumers. The good news is I'm not even close to running out of water.

If this doesn't work out in the long term I'm ready to just stick a few aquatuners down at the bottom of the pool and turn half of the map into a steam room.

Have you tried insulated pipes in the steam room? I don't think the machines eat up much temperature but cold pipes will kill temperature very quickly. Large steam rooms are possible but sort of a bitch to manage. I kept one going for a while to cool some petroleum but small steam rooms are just way easier to deal with.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Yeah all the pipes were insulated. But I didn't have continuous flow, I ran out of places to put clean water so the 15C salt water sitting inside the machines cooled them down pretty quickly, and with the desalinators not running there wasn't enough heat being added to even keep up 60 degrees.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Xerol posted:

Yeah all the pipes were insulated. But I didn't have continuous flow, I ran out of places to put clean water so the 15C salt water sitting inside the machines cooled them down pretty quickly, and with the desalinators not running there wasn't enough heat being added to even keep up 60 degrees.

If you need something to keep running for some other reason then the end product, you can just dump liquids and gas into space. Solids stack forever. If the problem is pressure related, build the thing in space and just let it go.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

If you have a steam room setup (aquatuners or lava heat source) then you can desalinate by boiling - no desalinators needed (and no dupes to empty them). Make a small water counterflow so the clean hot water from the turbines heats up the incoming salt/polluted water (pressure sensors to keep >15kg steam in the room), then the hot salt/polluted water will instantly boil to steam and drop the salt immediately. You need robo miners in case they spawn a block (polluted water drops dirt, enough dirt build up and room gets hot, boing - a sand tile appears!) The aquatuner can then cool a whole bunch of stuff (including extra cooling on output) to keep the steam running (maybe a pool with a tepdiser to burn off excess cooling). If you run it with super coolant, I suspect it might even get power positive.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Dunno-Lars posted:

If you need something to keep running for some other reason then the end product, you can just dump liquids and gas into space. Solids stack forever. If the problem is pressure related, build the thing in space and just let it go.

I also like to use liquid storage tanks with automation hooked up to the pump or filter. when it gets full enough we just use passive flow for a few cycles until everything needs to refill

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

OzyMandrill posted:

If you have a steam room setup (aquatuners or lava heat source) then you can desalinate by boiling - no desalinators needed (and no dupes to empty them). Make a small water counterflow so the clean hot water from the turbines heats up the incoming salt/polluted water (pressure sensors to keep >15kg steam in the room), then the hot salt/polluted water will instantly boil to steam and drop the salt immediately. You need robo miners in case they spawn a block (polluted water drops dirt, enough dirt build up and room gets hot, boing - a sand tile appears!) The aquatuner can then cool a whole bunch of stuff (including extra cooling on output) to keep the steam running (maybe a pool with a tepdiser to burn off excess cooling). If you run it with super coolant, I suspect it might even get power positive.

I really wish that autosweepers could be used to pick up dirt in boiling chambers. Every single time I've tried, the liquid boils every single tick, so the sweeper just keeps picking up the 1 mg of dirt at the leading edge every single time and ignoring the rest until it starts cooking into 1 mg sand blocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

HolHorsejob posted:

I really wish that autosweepers could be used to pick up dirt in boiling chambers. Every single time I've tried, the liquid boils every single tick, so the sweeper just keeps picking up the 1 mg of dirt at the leading edge every single time and ignoring the rest until it starts cooking into 1 mg sand blocks

Turn the sweeper on and off using a buffer and filter gate every two seconds or something.