Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
boy Sam is a creepy goblin of a human being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Vichan posted:

Ha.

Seriously though, SCarolinaBoss.

Musk is un-banning every Nazi that ever got banned but Cumia's original account isn't even on his radar. Scum even among scum. The lowest of the low. A Corsican pimp. A back alley Tunisian knife fighter. A former governor. A Navy SEAL.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
God drat if Back-Alley Tunisian Knife Fighter isn't one of the best insults I've ever heard. That bit with Colin and all of the Patrice Roast with Ben Bailey contains some of the greatest ever insults. I hold with Vos looking like a Jockey who Stole his Horses Teeth as the premium O&A period insult.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I've met Corsican pimps less racist than Anthony Cumia

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
it sucks that cumia is racist and all, but he really always was and its impossible to miss listening to old shows. just like it's impossible not to notice that opie sucked the whole time.

i never watched cumia's show. but it seemed like even though he found some comics who werent involved with the show before (legion of skanks, the one racist dude, the other racist dude who had the show about crime), they at least were people who had some form of audience or fans.

in 2006, if josh denny went on o&a, they would have been so mean to him that it would have made you uncomfortable. it would have been hilarious, but the cruelty would have made your skin crawl.

cumia is partners with him now! and he knows he's unfunny! he's making fun of bill loving burr with him!! bill burr is one of the biggest comedians in the world and still gave the old show the time of day when he really didnt need to (i think he was on cumia's show once too!)

theres no way he doesnt know he sucks.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
people change, social mores change, always at different rates that create less/more unrest

i remember i punched out maybe a year or two before Anthony just got poo poo canned for the racist video/commentary

Barack Obama's candidacy drove Anthony loving insane and injected so much more "creepy old man" cringe into the show, rather than "thank god it's not me in the barrel right now" high stakes socializing cringe you might have partaken in as a teenager or young 20 something

but there were always those pedal to the metal hate moments that got really uncomfortable, usually when they were bored/killing time, the racism bell shtick, or just firing off punchlines to racist jokes like they're intriguing bon mots, yikes-a-roo

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

It’s been said before, but Obama wasn’t the breaking point. It was Trayvon Martin.
E: the show became unbearable to listen to after that event. That was the point the show stopped being fun.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 7, 2022

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

empty baggie posted:

It’s been said before, but Obama wasn’t the breaking point. It was Trayvon Martin.
E: the show became unbearable to listen to after that event. That was the point the show stopped being fun.

Yeah i could see that being the catalyst for sure, especially considering everything that followed socially

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

empty baggie posted:

He would do a lot of “obama president now” crap after Obama was elected — but he pretended it was funny. I buy that the Martin case was when it wasn’t about trying to be funny and just white grievance.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I've probably posted it before but I'd stopped listening before Cumia went off the deep end and it was wild hearing those clips in the documentary.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

John Romero posted:

it sucks that cumia is racist and all, but he really always was and its impossible to miss listening to old shows. just like it's impossible not to notice that opie sucked the whole time.

i never watched cumia's show. but it seemed like even though he found some comics who werent involved with the show before (legion of skanks, the one racist dude, the other racist dude who had the show about crime), they at least were people who had some form of audience or fans.

in 2006, if josh denny went on o&a, they would have been so mean to him that it would have made you uncomfortable. it would have been hilarious, but the cruelty would have made your skin crawl.

cumia is partners with him now! and he knows he's unfunny! he's making fun of bill loving burr with him!! bill burr is one of the biggest comedians in the world and still gave the old show the time of day when he really didnt need to (i think he was on cumia's show once too!)

theres no way he doesnt know he sucks.

I'm pretty certain he knows just how hosed he is. I still find it hilarious that the only reason Sirius XM even bothered firing him is because the Pests went on Twitter during a holiday weekend and posted all the racist bullshit that Ant spouted over the years previous to 2014 and that ended up getting Cumia canned. And let's be honest: most O&A fans aren't exactly the most tolerant people, and even they were sick of Ant's rantings. Even if it it was because it would simply bog the show down instead of being disgusting and inherently wrong and stupid.

Also, pissing off Sirius XM after embarrassing them by showing how little they bothered listening to the shows they made by creating his own show/network/bullshit that he wasn't qualified to run was a major mistake. He's just a stupid motherfucker on every single level.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Has he hopped on the right-wing bandwagon of calling everyone else “groomers”? That’d be hilarious coming from him of all people.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I'm pretty certain he knows just how hosed he is. I still find it hilarious that the only reason Sirius XM even bothered firing him is because the Pests went on Twitter during a holiday weekend and posted all the racist bullshit that Ant spouted over the years previous to 2014 and that ended up getting Cumia canned. And let's be honest: most O&A fans aren't exactly the most tolerant people, and even they were sick of Ant's rantings. Even if it it was because it would simply bog the show down instead of being disgusting and inherently wrong and stupid.

Also, pissing off Sirius XM after embarrassing them by showing how little they bothered listening to the shows they made by creating his own show/network/bullshit that he wasn't qualified to run was a major mistake. He's just a stupid motherfucker on every single level.

I don’t know why I’m so fixated on this. Geno bisconte and Dave landau suck poo poo but were logical options for him. Josh Denny just sucks so goddamn bad.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
It's still hilarious that Dave Landau left as soon as a bigger show came knocking. Dude is a total grifter too, he seemed like a moderate who slowly took on Anthony's politics and I am sure he is full far right now being in the Crowder umbrella.

QuesoBeef
Jul 24, 2022
I've been listening to Bobo supercuts recently and have tried going down other rabbit holes having really loved O&A when I was a teenager.

Despite the incredible cruelty Bobo holds up because they somehow found an obnoxious, lecherous, self-centered mentally disabled man with the memory of a dayfly but yeesh, I tried listening to some early Jocktober/Scott & Todd bashing and hearing a defiantly "cool" Opie bash them just for doing an ad where they wear dresses in a dream sequence doesn't make me uncomfortable so much as at makes me roll my eyes at Opie trying so hard.

How popular was this show at its peak? I was a kid so I had no real clue but I recall them being number one in their ratings demo, although at that point it was afternoon drive on weekdays which probably isn't as impressive as say being a number one rated morning show. Then XM was a totally different animal followed by the brief return to terrestrial and then post-merger. They obviously ingrained themselves in the stand-up scene, especially in the aughts so they obviously were notable enough and we're still talking about them years later after the show imploded and became whatever. But did it always seem bigger than it actually was?

Also this is a weird question but did Anthony get work done once he started going on camera more? He looks like hell in the early days.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
For about a year and a half, O&A were gigantic, at least in New York. In 2001-02, you could easily have seen them as possibly being on the path to being as big as Howard Stern. They never came close to replicating that, even though I feel like the XM era was consistently funnier than what they were doing on WNEW.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
The show could have become mainstream at its peak (they were on Letterman after all) but talk radio was dying, and they kept getting themselves in trouble. The XM show was really good after WNEW but they lost all steam with the quick downfall of terrestrial talk radio.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I listened to that first Bennington after Fez died today for the first time, and I was struck not just by how unsettling it is to hear Ronnie and Pecker Lips crying, but my disappointment that Ron has anything to do with Ant anymore. I get that he's a rabidly loyal guy to his friends but Jesus man, there comes a time to cut the cord.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

Bennington doesn’t go on cumia anymore I didnt think

the last few bobo clips I listened to just made me angry at his mom. i know he was an adult but she easily could have taken his bus pass away or something.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I listened to that first Bennington after Fez died today for the first time, and I was struck not just by how unsettling it is to hear Ronnie and Pecker Lips crying, but my disappointment that Ron has anything to do with Ant anymore. I get that he's a rabidly loyal guy to his friends but Jesus man, there comes a time to cut the cord.

Gail's silence during Anthony's call is so telling.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Ron has a real good appearance on cumia a while ago where he called ant out for his racist nonsense. I doubt he was back after that.

Edit: thank you. I figured someone would find it fast.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 10, 2022

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Snacksmaniac posted:

Ron has a real good appearance on cumia a while ago where he called ant out for his racist nonsense. I doubt he was back after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3fk0R6VzCA

Brutal, and Ant didn't learn a thing.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"Column."

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

This back-alley Tunisian knife fighter…

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Ron's loyalty has bothered me for a long time. Most of the people he's loyal to dont even deserve it. Black Earl provides 0 content for the show, and I think he's actually a bad person and detriment to the show, but Ron thinks he can fix him or something. The dude just seems like a mentally ill paper-picking-up waste of money and energy. He doesn't deserve to have the job and he will never accept Ron's suggestion that he should "go to the clinic for a while" because he doesn't want to get better. At a certain point, Ron should realize there's thousands of people who would love to be in Black Earl's spot and would not make people tune out when they're on the air.

Havent listened to the show in a while, but he's probably still there being a comedy vacuum

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Pontificating rear end posted:

Ron's loyalty has bothered me for a long time. Most of the people he's loyal to dont even deserve it. Black Earl provides 0 content for the show, and I think he's actually a bad person and detriment to the show, but Ron thinks he can fix him or something. The dude just seems like a mentally ill paper-picking-up waste of money and energy. He doesn't deserve to have the job and he will never accept Ron's suggestion that he should "go to the clinic for a while" because he doesn't want to get better. At a certain point, Ron should realize there's thousands of people who would love to be in Black Earl's spot and would not make people tune out when they're on the air.

Havent listened to the show in a while, but he's probably still there being a comedy vacuum

Ugh have you even vibed at the Hard Rock bro? Earl is a genius

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

It’s a bit lol

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

It’s a bit lol

a bit dumb

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

new pease hold

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Pontificating rear end posted:

username+post combo

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
also lol at how stupid you have to be to think that

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

how did I end up perusing this thread and watching that 5 hour Cumia documentary when I haven't had an XM subscription since 2015 and haven't paid attention to either since Greggshells

Some of the stuff in that documentary counts as WEIRD NEEE-EWS to me

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I have to admit I don't know if it's a bit or not but the fact that Earl just unabashedly agrees with everything Ron says every time drives me up the fuckin wall lmao

like if they all have to say "what's your favorite flavor of donut" or whatever, if Earl goes after Ron he will say the same thing 1000% of the time and it makes me insane

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Earl is the new Fez dumbass
It rules when they bag on him or he says something monumentally stupid
"Hey Earl"

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

They do so many time filling bits like "call in with your favorite thing" so if you aren't down with the filler I don't know what to tell you. "Earl is a crazy dummy" is just an easy filler bit

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Goddamn it was so funny when Ron said "I didn't get so much as a 'hi, how are you doing' from Earl when my mom died", to which Earl responded "It was awkward..."

"Yes Earl it's awkward when my mom dies."

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
oh I do enjoy the beating up earl bits I just admit that they get me sometimes, and I genuinely can't tell if him just picking the same thing as Ron is a bit because most of the time they don't even say anything about it, although they do sometimes and Chris gets as mad as me about it

anyway the "could you get herpy a Coke" bit from April was among the times I've laughed at this show the hardest

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I could've sworn all those times Ron asked, Earl was literally checking for the food item Ron requested, when he said 'We're fresh out'. :saddowns:

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Ron is never going to retire because his daughter will never have her own show and he will try to keep her in the business as long as possible.

Just throwing that out there when someone mentioned filler, the entire staff is checked out but the show will go on until Ron dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
i hate earl