Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Eeyo posted:

how does their multitool watch band have dlc?!

the whole thing is dork link chain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fortaleza posted:

Leatherman is from Portland, Oregon

the worst condom

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
does anyone want to see my tailor's ham

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Silver Alicorn posted:

what body part is that a euphamism for

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

rear end

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
well whip it the gently caress out

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I ate hams like yours for breakfast

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Silver Alicorn posted:

yea

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ok sure

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

let's all post our big asses

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my rear end is a bit pathetic imo but I make up for it with good hair

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

good morning. here is my tailors ham.

it’s really upped my ironing game

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i like it! i'd never heard of one before but i enjoy learning about tools used in other fields.

i am trying to learn more about sewing and garment construction. i know a lot about making hard objects, but not much about soft ones. i'm trying to get the lab to pick up a cnc embroidery machine and i want to take some courses in making shirts etc at the city college.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i would not close the tab on the posts where sagebrush relates his experiences running the cricut machines that are full of drm and payware

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’ve been sewing by hand with a needle. good way to pass a lot of time

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

the basic crafting and maintenance skills will never go out of fashion and that's good

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

if you level up tailoring enough you can make a pretty sweet bop cape

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

you also get very respectable titles like cordwainer, haberdasher, milliner, modiste, and mercer

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
old fashioned titles are the best.

B-tier: pilot
A-tier: aviator
S-tier: airman

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

aviatrix is the best term for anyone who flies a plane

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

good morning. here is my tailors ham.

it’s really upped my ironing game

did you sew cloth around a ham? why is it called a tailors ham?

tim the tool man taylor’s ham

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I bought it at the fabric and crafts store

it’s full of sawdust according to the tag

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had never heard of a tailor's ham before this moment and I must say the picture is pretty much exactly what I would imagine one looking like were the picture not right there

e: maybe tweed or pinstripe instead of plaid

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 9, 2022

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I was expecting one of those New Jersey lunch meat rolls in a dapper lil suit.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

leatherman is a tom of finland-rear end name

burning swine
May 26, 2004

post hole digger posted:

I was expecting one of those New Jersey lunch meat rolls in a dapper lil suit.

same, I never realized that "taylor" ham was a play on words. It comes packed in cloth a lot like that sewing implement

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

i am trying to learn more about sewing and garment construction… i'm trying to get the lab to pick up a cnc embroidery machine

lol the most sargebrush way to do it. at least your true to yourself

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

try hand embroidery too imo. it’s a lot of work and also kind of fun and gives you an appreciation for the craft

all you need to get started is an embroidery hoop, a needle, and thread. you don’t even need the special embroidery needles or thread if you don’t care

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

extremely pro tip:

when you start out with either sewing or embroidery, start out in a woven rather than knit fabric. knit fabrics (think a stretchy t shirt type of fabric) are easier to damage the structure and most importantly they are usually stretchy. stretch is the enemy of consistent and straight needlework, at least until you start to get some practice under your fingers

a medium-light weight woven fabric is ideal for starting some throwaway projects with because it’s durable, won’t stretch, and you won’t need any special tools to work with it (sometimes something thicker like denim can be a pita with normal needles and thread). the only real downside of woven fabrics is you have to finish the edges better or they’ll pull apart over time. DONt put unfinished edge woven fabric constructed stuff into the washing machine lol

imo an apron is a pretty sick early clothing project. the shapes are all simple, there’s a lot of room for error before you get something totally unusable, and you probably don’t care if it’s not stretchy or high quality fabric in general. you can put as much detail work into it as you want. you can even embroider it

e: if a 57 year old woman gives you some advice about any of this stuff and her advice doesn’t make sense to you and you think you see an easier way, your probably wrong. do it your own way to instantly discover why her advice actually makes sense but now it’s too late

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 10, 2022

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

some favorite tools of mine: combination square. nail gun. marking knife and marking gauge. chisel. workbench

least favorite tools: router.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I have a hand stitched cabinetmakers rasp and it is absolutely marvelous

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Bloody posted:

least favorite tools: router.

boy howdy

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

no he said ROUTER

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

routers are the worst power tools.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

what's the line on tools here, like is a chainsaw or a two wheel tractor allowed

might be more "equipment" than "tool" idk

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Raluek posted:

i could name some tool brands that are high end and expensive (amp, molex, phoenix, knipex) and theres a never ending deluge of cheap tools that sorta work from the usual suspects, but i don't know what the middle ground really looks like. who has good value without being "value engineered" all to hell and back?

capitalism as a hill-climbing function can only ever discover local maxima, so the market distribution for such things prevents there from being any sort of appreciable middle ground: you have the high-volume nearly-zero-margin garbage tools, and you have the low-volume extremely-high-margin high quality tools, and gently caress you if you desire anything else because profit maximization only allows bimodal distributions

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Case in point, I was just browsing around for a pair of JST crimping pliers, and my options were 25-30€ pliers with brand names like WHRANGZU, or 200+€ Knipexes and the like. I went with the cheap garbage.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

eschaton posted:

capitalism as a hill-climbing function can only ever discover local maxima, so the market distribution for such things prevents there from being any sort of appreciable middle ground: you have the high-volume nearly-zero-margin garbage tools, and you have the low-volume extremely-high-margin high quality tools, and gently caress you if you desire anything else because profit maximization only allows bimodal distributions

hey now

you also have the extremely-high-margin low quality tools, like right after a capitalist gains control of a formerly-high-quality manufacturer

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jabor posted:

hey now

you also have the extremely-high-margin low quality tools, like right after a capitalist gains control of a formerly-high-quality manufacturer

who built the formerly high quality manufacturer? was it a former soviet state owned factory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

fart simpson posted:

extremely pro tip:

when you start out with either sewing or embroidery, start out in a woven rather than knit fabric. knit fabrics (think a stretchy t shirt type of fabric) are easier to damage the structure and most importantly they are usually stretchy. stretch is the enemy of consistent and straight needlework, at least until you start to get some practice under your fingers

Very pro tip right here. “Oh a T-shirt sounds easy to make I’ll start with that.”