Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Owlbear Camus posted:

hot take: "fight the empire" works better as a line and an incitement.

"gently caress the empire" would have been so crass by star war standards as to be distracting and this take away from the flow and ultimate impact of the monologue and the scene. also as a call to action it's more diffuse. like yeah, gently caress America, gently caress the dmv, gently caress amazon dot com... none of that conveys anything more than a vague sentiment.

Yeah. I don't know whether they just changed the line or rewrote more of the speech but I lean towards the latter because "fight" fits much better with what she's saying.

Maarva posted:

The Empire is a disease that thrives in darkness, it is never more alive than when we asleep. It's easy for the dead to tell you to fight, and maybe it's true, maybe fighting is useless. Perhaps it's too late. But I'll tell you this, if I could do it again, I'd wake up early and be fighting those bastards from the start! Fight the Empire!

"gently caress the Empire" feels incomplete, like it would need an additional call to action afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
gently caress the Empire was probably just an alternate take by Shaw after several takes to get the right one. Then someone made a joke about it originally going to be gently caress the Empire and the hype machine latched onto it as being the true version.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Thing about classic Star Trek and profanity is that it's established setting goes out of its way to avoid it - and makes the times when it goes happen feel earned, like the aforementioned Star Trek 4.

Another memorable cuss was Data in Generations, as the ship is hurtling towards the planet on a collision course he utters 'ohhh poo poo', which was a great moment, both for the comedy and surprise for being such a departure from his normal behaviour brought on by the emotion chip.

Discovery brought on some casual swearing, which whilst somewhat realistic, doesn't necessarily feel earned in the same way and came across as more of a 'this is not your dad's star trek' effort.

Andor? Eh. It fits. Star Wars has always had a backdrop of scum and villany, violent and dirty back streets, and lots of reasons to hate the government, which are all parts that Andor relishes in. It also saved it for a pretty powerful / surprising moment.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I agree completely.

Plus, that whole "they would never use the word 'gently caress' as a curse word in that galaxy and would have their own, so this makes no sesne," and like, let's go with that. Let's say that's true.

Why is the rest of English okay?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

That’s easy…. it’s because it’s not English it’s Basic. Just so happens to sound like English

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Who needs gently caress when we have the likes of kark and fark in a galaxy far far away?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What the biznak are you frelling fahrbot yotzes going on about? Zarking hazmots.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Stang, yo

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Scob saying gently caress, I say.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's in the frakin' ship.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Andor: I’m hungry in this valley
Vel: good thing I used our app points to get us some good ole fashion Subway
Andor: mmhmm that’s a good sandwich

They forgot the loving bellpepper !!

HereCometheKillBots
Jul 21, 2010
I just rewatched Narkina 5. There's a scene on the morning of Keef/Cassian's 30th shift where all the 52-D inmates are lined up in a room naked. They're silent, disempowered, and vulnerable. In the next shot we see vents in the ceiling that some kind of hissing mist descends from. I assume this is what the prisoners get as a bath before new uniforms but it struck me as a probably deliberate visual quote of Holocaust imagery. A more subtle and more painful way to say "The Empire are Space Nazis" than black uniforms.

Show good.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Show extremely good. That arc really got me on board.

Edit: Y'know what? gently caress it. Those episodes are the third best Star Wars movie.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

LividLiquid posted:

Show extremely good. That arc really got me on board.

Edit: Y'know what? gently caress it. Those episodes are the third best Star Wars movie.

:hmmyes:

I also rewatched the prison eps recently and I absolutely love Serkis's performance from start to finish

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

a sexual elk posted:

Andor: I’m hungry in this valley
Vel: good thing I used our app points to get us some good ole fashion Subway
Andor: mmhmm that’s a good sandwich

They forgot the loving bellpepper !!
*inmate fries himself on the red floor*

Kino: Now I want a Quiznos.

Andor: Mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm...TOASTY!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Andy serkis was great in star wars. But I could really take him or leave him in star wars

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Fun ways to ruin Andor season 2 let's go:

A standalone episode follows Kino Loy's journey as he escapes from the prison, only to find himself trapped in an Imperial cloning facility. What seems like routine soon becomes abject horror as we learn the true history of Supreme Leader Snoke.

In a surprising turn of events, we learn that Andors sister is actually *insert character from Clone Wars cartoon*

Dedra and Cyrils relationship comes under turmoil as a new potential suitor arrives at the ISB with his eyes set on Dedra - and a love triangle blossoms during the dawn of the rebellion.

Uncle Harlo is revealed (as many have predicted), to be none other than the Grand Moff himself, Tarkin, (played once again as a CGI double, befitting a prequel to Rogue One). Calling on the family favour, Cyril finds himself posted on the bridge of the Super Star Destroyer, and is a fly on the wall as we find out true nature of Vader and Tarkins relationships, why Tarkin hates Alderaan so much, and exactly how he knew that the rebel base wasn't on Dantooine.

A rushed production schedule requires location shooting in the Volume. Keen to reuse existing assets, a good portion of the key storyline is modified to involve a rebellion on Tatooine, where we see the spark that ignites the locals to throw out the imperial government and set in motion the events that lead to the planet being renamed Jaaku.

B2-Emo is killed in the opening scene.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Isometric Bacon posted:

Baby Snoke

It turns out the entire prison sequence was a dream

B2-EMO gets milkshake ducked

Maarva deepfake scene

To counter all the "where are all the aliens" criticism, a new alien character named Ozmodiar, whom only Cassian can see

Tony Gilroy and the rest of the creative team have been fired and replaced by the people who made Obi-Wan

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Isometric Bacon posted:

Luthen is revealed to have been Jedi Master- turned Sith- turned Grey Jedi, Lu'then: Count Dookus secret apprentice.

With cameos from characters featured in Jedi Fallen Order 2 and Obi-Wan we see several perspectives from the Sith Inquisitors as they hunt the rogue jedi before he can successfully start an alliance of rebels.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

oh my god stop

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Once again gifted the Kyber Crystal from Luthen, Andor notices it begin to emit a strange glow and aura, almost like it's a coded message. Following its lead, Andor finds himself on a certain remote swampy planet, that many Star Wars fans might find familiar, and meets someone there who will inspire him to greatness.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Responding to the 'Mon Mothma scenes are slow' criticism, her role in Season 2 is greatly diminished, with the exception of a thrilling speeder race set piece that sees her commandeering a space taxi and racing through the streets of Coruscant in pursuit of Davrik, boldening her resolve and inspiring her seeds of rebellion.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Despite playing it cold, Vels constant relentless pursuit of Cinta breaks through her hard outer shell, and in a moment of vulnerability, Cinta reveals that she loved Vel all along, but was afraid of hurting her. Sharing a loving look, hand in hand they walk out into the erupting battlefield together, and are never seen again.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
After a senate hearing sees some hot debate around the uprising of Ferrix and Aldani and a limp attempt to curtail the empires response, the Senate chambers are treated to the rare attendance by no other than the Emperor himself - a surprise cameo featuring Ian McDiarmind.

Mon Mothmas usual cool composure is put to a test as the silver tongued thespian in a rubber mask twists her words against her and inspires the other senators in his support.

Just as he's about to call out her dubious allegiances, an aide rushes in and apologises, as there are matters in urgent need of his attention. Apparently, there's been a train crash, its contents stolen and a vessel has escaped, performing the Kessel run in 12 parsecs.

...or whatever the gently caress happened in that movie.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Mods

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Imagine Andor opening Nemik's manifesto and it's just the last ten posts.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Beam weapons, like on the LAAT.

Or Australian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ9r-Se9gbY

You call that an Australian accent

https://youtu.be/wBbLjRBbM3w#t=83s

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 10, 2022

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

sad question posted:

- I've read that there was supposed to be a swear word in the finale that was cut but no details about it. I know now it was supposed to be "gently caress the empire" but for some reason in my mind I thought Mon Mothma was going to call Palpatine a oval office in the senate and have to go into hiding because of it

This is the only prediction in this thread I want to actually happen

sad question
May 30, 2020

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is Karis Nemik ? This is Karis Nemik speaking.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Isometric Bacon posted:

A standalone episode follows Kino Loy's journey as he escapes from the prison, only to find himself trapped in an Imperial cloning facility. What seems like routine soon becomes abject horror as we learn the true history of Supreme Leader Snoke.

In a surprising turn of events, we learn that Andors sister is actually *insert character from Clone Wars cartoon*

Dedra and Cyrils relationship comes under turmoil as a new potential suitor arrives at the ISB with his eyes set on Dedra - and a love triangle blossoms during the dawn of the rebellion.

Uncle Harlo is revealed (as many have predicted), to be none other than the Grand Moff himself, Tarkin, (played once again as a CGI double, befitting a prequel to Rogue One). Calling on the family favour, Cyril finds himself posted on the bridge of the Super Star Destroyer, and is a fly on the wall as we find out true nature of Vader and Tarkins relationships, why Tarkin hates Alderaan so much, and exactly how he knew that the rebel base wasn't on Dantooine.

A rushed production schedule requires location shooting in the Volume. Keen to reuse existing assets, a good portion of the key storyline is modified to involve a rebellion on Tatooine, where we see the spark that ignites the locals to throw out the imperial government and set in motion the events that lead to the planet being renamed Jaaku.

B2-Emo is killed in the opening scene.

Red Yoda who says gently caress

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vader: Dantooine? We were just at Tat tooine... That's weird
Tarkin: There's a lot of Tooine planets these days, no one knows why

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
LUTHEN RAEL kept spending more and more time with the radical SAW GERRERA. CASSIAN ANDOR discovers his mentor's SECRET PLAN to destroy planet CORUSCANT, and the EMPEROR with it.

He intends to use the FULL POWER of his modified FONDOR HAULCRAFT - a ship formerly known as the SUN CRUSHER.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Isometric Bacon posted:

Screenplay by Chris Terrio and J.J. Abrams

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOVxz02MShU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Isometric Bacon posted:

The reason why the torture method used on Bix was not used on Leia in ANH is revealed that the long term effects cause the victims to grow tails on their heads, the secret to Twileks. After her transformation, Bix goes to Tattooine to run a gambling parlor under her new name, Garsa Fwip.

A scene revealing early complications with the Death Star laser shows it's emitter array actually picking up transmissions from other galaxies! As Galen Erso explains the problem to director Krennic, the background monitors shows the picked up transmissions. One monitor shows a dwarf running with a red headed baby. Another shows the interior of a cave where a man with a hat is running from a boulder.

Luthen sends Cassian on a mission to Ord Mandel to retrieve information from a now former associate of Saw. Cassian and the associate are abused by Saw's gang but before the associate dies he reveals name "Jyn Erso". Cassian is saved by a mysterious helmeted group citing "This is the way". In their escape, Cassian and a young member of the group come across a small family. Upon crashing into their apartment, the human "parents" immediately close the door on a egg shaped hatch, but not before the young Mandalorian warrior sees a small green hand reaching out.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

stop it and link your ao3 accounts already!!!!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Diego Luna dies during filming and the role is given to a CGI composite of his face and voice

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sad question posted:

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is Karis Nemik ? This is Karis Nemik speaking.

Seize the means of Droid production.

Away from jokes but I keep coming back to Maarva's speech and the ensuing riot. The moment where Brasso spartan kicks the officer and then clubs an Imperial to death with Maarva's headstone is such an amazing release of tension after the buildup. Pure catharsis. And then it gets ugly as the riot escalates and the cost of defiance is known. It gets messy so fast as the Empire switches from army men to stormtroopers and it turns into a slaughter. It's a really grim but necessary reminder of what facing the Empire entails. I dont know if thr show can ever go back to Ferrix because Ferrix really doesn't exist after that. They stood up to the Empire and while Andor escaped Ferrix is ultimately a lost home for everyone who managed to get away.

It's a great blend of audience cheering and horrible tragedy.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 10, 2022

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Late to swearing chat, but still hoping Bill Burr says "Jesus Christ, dude" on the next season of Mando.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Isometric Bacon posted:

Luthen is revealed to have been Jedi Master- turned Sith- turned Grey Jedi, Lu'then: Count Dookus secret apprentice.

With cameos from characters featured in Jedi Fallen Order 2 and Obi-Wan we see several perspectives from the Sith Inquisitors as they hunt the rogue jedi before he can successfully start an alliance of rebels.

ok but this would whip

also from the few seasons of the clone wars i've watched so far i know that dooku keeps having to go through apprentices because sheev keeps making him kill them when they get strong because of the rUlE oF tWo so its... its not implausible