Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

With the latest watch os, sometimes notifications take up the whole screen and sometimes they are just a little popover at the top. Can’t figure out the difference, any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

smackfu posted:

With the latest watch os, sometimes notifications take up the whole screen and sometimes they are just a little popover at the top. Can’t figure out the difference, any ideas?

iirc If you’re actively using and looking at your watch it’s supposed to be the little bubbles at the top. If you have to raise your wrist to see the notification it’s supposed to be the full screen ones.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Interesting, I guess it’s tricky to get right then.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Does anyone actually get value out of applecare+ for the watch? I kinda like the accidental damage aspect of it in theory but I also haven't ever broken one yet.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MrBond posted:

Does anyone actually get value out of applecare+ for the watch? I kinda like the accidental damage aspect of it in theory but I also haven't ever broken one yet.

4 bucks a month to not have to worry about breaking it seems like a good value.

My wife’s series 4 did have a bulging battery that was covered under AppleCare as it was out of the 1 year warranty at the time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I take the policy of never buy insurance on electronics (assuming you’re not super accident prone) and overall you come out ahead. That said, I also work in the field so it’s easier for me to find solutions than some people.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

does anyone know if apple will incorporate the complications that are in darksky into the weather app once they discontinue darksky? i like them better than the weather ones...

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

MrBond posted:

My 6 touchscreen stopped working about a month ago. Not sure why exactly but it doesn't matter.... AC+ got me a free replacement no questions asked. It would have been $300 without it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

MrBond posted:

I did after I dropped my brand new series 8 first in the gym and then second after taking it off going through airport security.

I got a brand new replacement device the morning after doing the service request. Although it took a good while after the broken device arrived at apple for them to remove the 400 something hold off my card.

I wish I was somehow not the worlds most clumsy person who manages to drop all these expensive things on the floor.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At least you know you're clumsy and can plan for it.

I invariably screw something up shortly after I decide to decline coverage for anything. "Oh no phone drops in five years? I can obviously not pay for applecare this time!" Three months later it's got a cracked screen because I lost an argument with gravity.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Strong Sauce posted:

does anyone know if apple will incorporate the complications that are in darksky into the weather app once they discontinue darksky? i like them better than the weather ones...

I figure if they were going to they already would have, Apple has shown no issue with killing the good parts of things they subsume in the past.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Apple is careful enough that all the problems start the year after your AppleCare expires.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Hello I just got one of these only to find that there's no official support (from either Facebook or the Zuck) for WhatsApp, which is what everyone in my country uses over iMessage. Can anyone recommend any good 3rd party watch apps that handle WhatsApp?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Doesn’t exist. But notifications do show up.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Sri.Theo posted:

Doesn’t exist. But notifications do show up.

Apparently they do, but I was hoping someone here could vouch for one of them in particular https://www.techpout.com/use-whatsapp-on-apple-watch/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Now that jacket season is back, here's my reminder:

If you track your outdoor walk/jog exercise with your watch, DO consider putting it into water mode after you start to keep a sweaty jacket/sleeve from prematurely, inexplicably, both swiping your watch to the activity buttons page, and even more miraculously somehow hitting the "end workout" button.

Happened to me today again this morning. Looked down after 3/4 of a jog and saw that I was at the "DONE" status screen.

On the bright side, after I hit the done button in frustration, I decided to start a new workout to track the remainder of my jog. To my surprise it showed having detected a new exercise having started five minutes ago, and let me continue from there. So, yeah.. lemondade.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I just caught up on the few pages of posts I fell behind on.

Just here to post/thank the guy that recommended the Nike Hybrid watch face. It definitely has to be the best one :cheers:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Nike faces would be so much better without the Nike button. Accidentally pushing that when you don’t (or do) have Run Club installed is insanely annoying.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

To be fair, I purposely tried to push it to see what it did, and I completely missed. Did it again, more precisely, and all I had to do was click "Dismiss." How are you accidentally hitting that?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lmao i didn't even know you could press the swoosh

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

It's hard to do :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

eightysixed posted:

To be fair, I purposely tried to push it to see what it did, and I completely missed. Did it again, more precisely, and all I had to do was click "Dismiss." How are you accidentally hitting that?

I dunno but I tried that face for one day and I had to tap dismiss like 7 times. It was super annoying.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Fair enough. I have 5 complications, 4 on each corner and the Day and Date and time in the middle. I don't really need to touch anything even remotely close to the swoosh. YMMV.
v0v

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My daughter has a stand alone SE. every few days, we have to restart the watch because the LTE data connection with Verizon is connected but showing no data connection.

Has anyone else had this issue happen and if so, what solution is there?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My daughter has a stand alone SE. every few days, we have to restart the watch because the LTE data connection with Verizon is connected but showing no data connection.

Has anyone else had this issue happen and if so, what solution is there?

Not sure. Beyond software update the only thing I got is doing a master reset and re setup (I think stand alone a would have an iCloud backup ?).

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Are there any watch faces that can have media controls embedded as a complication? I use the now playing remote all the time, but it looks kind of ugly, and I'm incredibly vain.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have media control complications for Overcast and Apple Music embedded in my Modular face, but not as discrete controls -- they just launch a separate screen for each. Modular is also not the prettiest face if you have a specific look in mind, but it IS possible.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Oh that's a shame. Most of the faces seem to have complications for shortcuts into music/podcast apps, but it'd be great to have just like a big chunky play or skip button.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hello Apple Watch thread,

I have decided I might be a dirty little consumer and treat myself. Haven't owned an iWatch before. I think I'm going for an S8.

Am I correct the best band options are basically on this page here? https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch/apple-watch

Once you scroll down lower.

I think to start with, I want a relatively plain mostly black band, in terms of color. Design I'm not sure about. It looks like there are half a dozen or more black-ish bands for the S8 listed there among many more.

My question for the thread: Does anyone have exprience with some of the bands there, and could you maybe recommend one I should consider? I could go to the ***fruit stand*** and try on a bunch, and might do that, but wanted to ask you all too.

:thanks:

e: For example here are three, and there are def more with the color selectors:

• Midnight Aluminum Case with Sport Band
• Midnight Aluminum Case with Nike Sport Band
• Midnight Aluminum Case with Solo Loop

So many Bands and Loops I'm not sure which one might be a popular consensus good combo / best seller. Any band / loop / series / color etc. recommendations welcome.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 10, 2022

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Sport Loops are the generally most comfortable ones from my experience and I believe they’re everyone else’s favorite too unless you got a preference for metal. The nike ones sometimes do reflective stuff in the dark.

The solo loops/braided loops can be hit or miss and generally fit a little looser or tighter depending if you follow the guide or go a size smaller. Highly recommended you try those in person if you aren’t sure but the guide usually works good.

Leather isn’t worth it imo. Metal you can get cheaper on Amazon/Ali express but especially with black colors it shows quick. The Milanaise loop can slip over the day and may need readjusting.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Solo loop (my fave) or sport loop (my fave until solo loop). If you go solo loop, the real Apple ones don’t stretch out too much over time. The Amazon knockoffs definitely do, in my experience. Also, get a size down if you do sports or run or anything. The Apple side guide was hilariously way too large for me and I had to return my band.

I do have a $9 Ultra trail loop from Alibaba on the way because it looks pretty cool.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
@innerlight my AW6 came with a sport band and i've never felt the need to replace it with a more formal one. Most apple stores should keep a demo selection of bands to have customer test which one is best for them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple's leather goods are hot trash (barring the Hermes models but I don't think those come in black and they're priced as high fashion brand items in any case) and if you want a leather strap, you're better off searching Amazon or Etsy. There's lots of options for those.

I like the braided loops a lot but sizing is a pain.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Inner Light posted:

Hello Apple Watch thread,

I have decided I might be a dirty little consumer and treat myself. Haven't owned an iWatch before. I think I'm going for an S8.

Am I correct the best band options are basically on this page here? https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch/apple-watch

Once you scroll down lower.

I think to start with, I want a relatively plain mostly black band, in terms of color. Design I'm not sure about. It looks like there are half a dozen or more black-ish bands for the S8 listed there among many more.

My question for the thread: Does anyone have exprience with some of the bands there, and could you maybe recommend one I should consider? I could go to the ***fruit stand*** and try on a bunch, and might do that, but wanted to ask you all too.

:thanks:

e: For example here are three, and there are def more with the color selectors:

• Midnight Aluminum Case with Sport Band
• Midnight Aluminum Case with Nike Sport Band
• Midnight Aluminum Case with Solo Loop

So many Bands and Loops I'm not sure which one might be a popular consensus good combo / best seller. Any band / loop / series / color etc. recommendations welcome.

I would absolutely go to an Apple Store and try some on.

Also, the metal link bands are worth every penny, especially the black one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It is amusing that if you bought the original Apple Watch with a link band, the link band is still great and the watch is junk in a drawer.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It’s hard to justify official Apple band pricing when you can get near-identical to OEM bands from AliExpress for ~$13 each:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOz2AEW

I recommend sizing down since they stretch, but they’re the most comfortable band without any hardware scrapping up against the edge of my MacBook constantly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

smackfu posted:

It is amusing that if you bought the original Apple Watch with a link band, the link band is still great and the watch is junk in a drawer.

I thought that in one of the case redesigns they got different band channels and old ones stopped fitting. Is that not true?

Or maybe they "fit" but don't sit flush anymore.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

all the aliexpress knockoffs i got for the s3 fit great on the s8

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Corb3t posted:

It’s hard to justify official Apple band pricing when you can get near-identical to OEM bands from AliExpress for ~$13 each:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOz2AEW

I recommend sizing down since they stretch, but they’re the most comfortable band without any hardware scrapping up against the edge of my MacBook constantly.

I have yet to find a knockoff that feels and looks like the official ones. There's always something slightly off about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Endless Mike posted:

Apple's leather goods are hot trash (barring the Hermes models but I don't think those come in black and they're priced as high fashion brand items in any case) and if you want a leather strap, you're better off searching Amazon or Etsy. There's lots of options for those.

I like the braided loops a lot but sizing is a pain.

My leather loop is pretty okay, but they discontinued that band and only have leather link now.