Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

not true, was never true

hey everybody if you hate CP please come to the CP thread and don't poo poo up this one with bullshit you heard a youtuber say

On multiple occasions I've pointed a gun at 'em and gotten the "nope nuh uh" weapon lock

Also, gaming YouTubers are frequently a blight. I hate their egocentric racist screeching and I pay as little attention to them as possible

I totally get you work at CDPR, and your writing rules. I love The Witcher III with all my heart; I think it's a generation-defining game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

isk posted:

On multiple occasions I've pointed a gun at 'em and gotten the "nope nuh uh" weapon lock

Where did you even get that? It's been a while, but I recall you could shoot anyone aside from quest npc and kids. Happened quite a lot accidently to shoot a random civilian or cop and then running from the bounty.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah I've always been able to kill cops unprovoked. (in a videogame)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I definitely almost take out entire groups of cops by accident with Contagion regularly because they show up with the enemy indicator over their heads. I have to check their affiliation to see that they are cops.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I played The Witcher 3 a few years ago and beat everything but the DLC. It took me a hundred plus hours and I was way too burnt out to go dive into the DLC at that point.

Now, this remaster is dropping and I want to play the game again, but I'm torn:

It's been long enough that I'd like to experience the game again. I feel ready for a replay except:

I imagine I'd get to the end of the vanilla game again and then I'll be too burnt out for the DLCs again.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

isk posted:

Also, gaming YouTubers are frequently a blight. I hate their egocentric racist screeching and I pay as little attention to them as possible

I totally get you work at CDPR, and your writing rules. I love The Witcher III with all my heart; I think it's a generation-defining game

There are a handful of cops flagged as "friendly" that are associated with quests, but the vast majority of the cops in the game can absolutely be targeted, fought, and killed.

I am sensitive to this because I think that "cyberpunk 2077 likes cops" is the laziest, dumbest, most bad faith criticism of the game that still gets any airplay (not alleging that this is your argument btw)

But really, come to the CP thread and we can talk about it

instead of in the W3 thread, a game where you actually can't fight the cops (iirc)

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 6, 2022

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Jack B Nimble posted:

I played The Witcher 3 a few years ago and beat everything but the DLC. It took me a hundred plus hours and I was way too burnt out to go dive into the DLC at that point.

It's been long enough that I'd like to experience the game again. I feel ready for a replay except:

I imagine I'd get to the end of the vanilla game again and then I'll be too burnt out for the DLCs again.

it would go way faster you second time as you can freely skip a ton of the side content and focus on either ones you did not do the first time, or enjoyed. you can also skip through cutscenes and dialogue that you recall.

If you really are iffy, use the option to start in Heart of Stone and go from there. Hell you can roll that into NG+ iirc.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

instead of in the W3 thread, a game where you actually can't fight the cops (iirc)

You can fight the town guards if they catch you stealing and they are vastly more powerful than any other enemy in the game

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When you burn down the Witch Hunters compound they drop dimeuritium handcuffs which you can break down into glowing ore for crafting purposes.

I was very disappointed when I attacked witch hunters in the streets hoping they would drop more but all I got were super powerful enemies dropping blackjacks if I survived the fight.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Hobo Clown posted:

You can fight the town guards if they catch you stealing and they are vastly more powerful than any other enemy in the game

I think you can't start poo poo with them straight up, though, which is what I mean. It's been a looong time but I think if you try and attack them geralt just grunts and shakes his fist.

I absolutely might be wrong, though, it's been a million years.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

geralt just grunts and shakes his fist.

If you do this enough times they get pissed and start attacking. You can also throw bombs or do the igni thing to damage them.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
If you want a different playthrough you can try a Bad Dad run, and just be the biggest rear end in a top hat possible at all times. It gets genuinely hard to go through with, it's a very tragic ending.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
For novelty this time I'm going to put the game into both French subtitles and audio. I'm not fluent in it but I study it a little and I played through it with French audio and English subtitles last time because I really don't like the English VA for Geralt, and since I'm not fluent in French I'm much less able to judge the quality of the acting. This time, since I already know the plot, full French.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
e:fb

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

If you want a different playthrough you can try a Bad Dad run, and just be the biggest rear end in a top hat possible at all times. It gets genuinely hard to go through with, it's a very tragic ending.

A modified version of this is absolutely my plan for my next-gen playthrough. Not full rear end in a top hat, but I'm going to screw up the romances and be a Bad Dad for sure.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hearts of Stone is perhaps the best DLC ever made and you absolutely need to play it. Blood & Wine is also very very excellent. Both are more like expansions than DLC, really.

E: Having said that, if you can skip some of the less important stuff around the world and play it from lvl1 through both expansions, that's the optimal experience.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I must have like 200 hours in at this point but I still have to kill Radovid and then start the whole kill Eredin thing then there's the DLCs. I finished Fists of Fury last night. That was kind of weird. It's actually easier to punch a bear to death and knock out a rock troll than beating up humans. Go figure.

Also I think I am stuck with the bad ending already because I got drunk with Ciri instead of throwing snowballs. Sometimes you choose an option and it's like whoa Geralt, that's not what the dialogue option said you would say. You dick.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I must have like 200 hours in at this point but I still have to kill Radovid and then start the whole kill Eredin thing then there's the DLCs. I finished Fists of Fury last night. That was kind of weird. It's actually easier to punch a bear to death and knock out a rock troll than beating up humans. Go figure.

Also I think I am stuck with the bad ending already because I got drunk with Ciri instead of throwing snowballs. Sometimes you choose an option and it's like whoa Geralt, that's not what the dialogue option said you would say. You dick.

If you don't mind posting where you're currently at in the main story I can gauge whether you're locked into the bad ending or not.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I've been rewatching the Netflix show in anticipation of the PS5 release, and while it is still bad I feel like a lot of the scenes work pretty well if you've already read the books (but are almost totally incomprehensible to anyone who has only played the games or is a newcomer to the series). Some random thoughts:

-Henry Cavill is perfect casting, like it's crazy
-mostly same with the guy who plays Dandelion though now I just lol at the terrible alternative look he's getting in W3
-just putting all the scenes in chronological order instead of jumping around to multiple different timelines would have improved the show at least threefold
-every Ciri scene in the first season is terrible
-most Yennefer scenes are also terrible but the one time they actually did something pretty interesting with timeline jumps is when it cuts from her being beautiful and getting her dream job to like thirty years later when she is already bitter and disillusioned
-having read the books the scenes that end up being big twists later (the hedgehog knight, the guy chasing Ciri) are way more compelling but by the time they get there in the show its gonna be the bad Hemsworth brother on a shoe-string budget so it's more interesting as a what-if

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll laugh if they even make it past the 4th season.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

If you don't mind posting where you're currently at in the main story I can gauge whether you're locked into the bad ending or not.

Right now the main quest is Final Preparations and the only thing I have done so far is talk to Triss which led me to Blindingly Obvious/Reason of State. Broke off from that to finish some contracts/treasure hunts.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Right now the main quest is Final Preparations and the only thing I have done so far is talk to Triss which led me to Blindingly Obvious/Reason of State. Broke off from that to finish some contracts/treasure hunts.

Did you visit Emhyr before heading off to fight Imlerith at Bald Mountain?

There are five triggers that determine whether or not you get the bad ending. You need at least three positive outcomes to avoid the bad ending. The meeting with Emhyr can be skipped and does not count towards a bad ending, but if you visit emhyr you can get a bad dad point depending on your actions. If you skip the meeting with Emhyr you only need two "good dad" points to keep her alive.

There's one chance in Novigrad to earn a good or bad dad point and two chances in Skellige. So, with your drinking with ciri locked in, depending on whether you visited Emhyr or not you've either got two bad points, one bad and one good, or one bad and no good (if you skipped the meeting) and three more chances to be a good dad.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 9, 2022

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

I've been rewatching the Netflix show in anticipation of the PS5 release, and while it is still bad I feel like a lot of the scenes work pretty well if you've already read the books (but are almost totally incomprehensible to anyone who has only played the games or is a newcomer to the series). Some random thoughts:

-Henry Cavill is perfect casting, like it's crazy
-mostly same with the guy who plays Dandelion though now I just lol at the terrible alternative look he's getting in W3
-just putting all the scenes in chronological order instead of jumping around to multiple different timelines would have improved the show at least threefold
-every Ciri scene in the first season is terrible
-most Yennefer scenes are also terrible but the one time they actually did something pretty interesting with timeline jumps is when it cuts from her being beautiful and getting her dream job to like thirty years later when she is already bitter and disillusioned
-having read the books the scenes that end up being big twists later (the hedgehog knight, the guy chasing Ciri) are way more compelling but by the time they get there in the show its gonna be the bad Hemsworth brother on a shoe-string budget so it's more interesting as a what-if

Broadly, it suffers from being a Netflix production. Casting was good but holy poo poo did it need like a year more of pre-production baking. It has momentary flashes of the good stuff but it just can't decide if it's targeting a new audience (mostly not) or fan servicing (poorly). For every good new idea it undercuts itself with half measures.

What a waste of talent.

Witcher 3 is still the biggest (most successful) love letter to the books in any media. For the original stories at least, I don't expect any production to both 'get it' and have the production value to find a new audience any time soon.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Did you visit Emhyr before heading off to fight Imlerith at Bald Mountain?

There are five triggers that determine whether or not you get the bad ending. You need at least three positive outcomes to avoid the bad ending. The meeting with Emhyr can be skipped and does not count towards a bad ending, but if you visit emhyr you can get a bad dad point depending on your actions. If you skip the meeting with Emhyr you only need two "good dad" points to keep her alive.

There's one chance in Novigrad to earn a good or bad dad point and two chances in Skellige. So, with your drinking with ciri locked in, depending on whether you visited Emhyr or not you've either got two bad points, one bad and one good, or one bad and no good (if you skipped the meeting) and three more chances to be a good dad.

as long as getting behind a bear and punching it to death doesn't make me a bad dad i think i still have a chance with skellige.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I thought the first season of The Witcher was pretty OK to great at points but I also never really felt the desire to watch past that season so maybe it wasn't that good to me after all. With the casting change for Geralt I don't really have a desire to watch any more.

Probably going to replay Witcher 1 for the second time and 2 for like the 5th or 6th before replaying 3 once the update comes out, was looking for an excuse anyway.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
You should watch season 2. It was good.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

ShakeZula posted:

A modified version of this is absolutely my plan for my next-gen playthrough. Not full rear end in a top hat, but I'm going to screw up the romances and be a Bad Dad for sure.

I hosed up my run and went triss romance instead of doing them both and getting the two timing scene I still haven't seen. Even more galling because if I'd done that I would have had dandelion at corvo bianco which I really wanted to see because I went with his ending for blood and wine where he breaks you out of prison, and I wanted to see if they'd made any dialogue for that specific situation.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

moxieman posted:

You should watch season 2. It was good.

It had its moments, but ending suuuuucked. Still for me it was well within "ok" category, and better than the first one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I liked season 1 better because I really enjoyed the short story collections from the first two novels and they did an okay to great job adapting them with some of the episodes. Season 2 has a great first episode with an ehh ending and then the rest of the season had the unenviable task of adapting Blood of Elves, a book that spends a third of its time at Kaer Morhen training Ciri. It was always going to be a hard book to adapt and unfortunately they didn't really do a good job of it with their made for TV plotlines.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I bought Witcher 3 a year after it released and fell off for various reasons. I kept buying a new version of it on sale every year or few years with the same result. Earlier in the year, I got a friend who cleared up some if the problems I had with the game and I gave it another go on my Series X. This time it took and I got about 12 hours in. Then I heard about the enhanced edition and stopped playing. It's been like six months and I'm itching to jump back in.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

When's the update coming out?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Today I thought

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Fritz the Horse posted:

Today I thought

https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/1601290585242882048?s=20&t=gJE4BUdDkYsyTSI0wunEyQ

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Jack Trades posted:

When's the update coming out?

quote:

On December 14th the free next-gen update is coming to PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The update will go live at 1 AM CET for PC & Xbox Series X|S, and midnight local time for PlayStation 5.

https://www.thewitcher.com/en/news/47105/next-gen-update-list-of-changes

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Someone has a bunch of footage of the PC version out.

Edit: Apparently this was fake?

cheesetriangles fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 13, 2022

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The water looks a lot better which I always felt aged the worse. Now show me Geralt swimming at the surface inside a dark cave and I'll know for sure.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Was Geralt's shadow bald in the original edition?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I can't believe they're still updating this drat game, guess I better play it all over again... again

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The shadows and reflections are the only spots I'm noticing a marked improvement. I've been playing the Halk's HD texture pack for years now so the upscaling isn't that impressive and it's a testament to how good the default game's global lighting is that I can't tell a difference between RTX global illumination and the original.

But the shadows are a big draw. OG Witcher 3 gets some rather splotchy crosshatching shadows that are fine in movement but kinda fall apart still images. Having sharper shadows is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Fun story: the console version doesn't have the RT shadows or RT reflections.