Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Peewi posted:

Minecart tracks seem to automatically be marked low traffic areas.

Ok, but like, I wouldn't want to run a minecart down my main hallway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Of course someone would make things weird, when it's canon that dorfs reproduce in the same asexual way that fungi do.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

One stone creates 4 blocks and the constructing dwarf can move with the block without being slowed down. So it's better to use blocks.
Wheelbarrows make moving blocks faster, when they need to moved to the minecart quantum stockpile.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I tried starting in some Joyous Wilds but within a few days a Giant Crow came in and ate every one of my dwarves
When did you try this? Because the latest hotfix incorporated a fix where fishing no longer cause wild surroundings to have excessively agitated wildlife.

IronicDongz posted:

semi-related, I've got a zombie... guest?
You can also have necromancers, goblins, and many other folk visit your tavern.
Unlike many other fantasy settings, affinity is not placed along faction lines - so you can be at war with dwarves and friends with other night creatures, and no creature is inheritly war-like.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 10, 2022

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Gnoman posted:

No deaths except for the werelizard itself, and only two bites that were quickly expelled. Turned out there were actually four bit dwarves, and the two that were missed exploded into violence in the temple soon afterward. This was put down, but it was effectively impossible to track down everybody *they* bit, inevitably resulting in over forty dwarves slaughtered in an instant when the time of the change came around once more. The handful of survivors fled into the wilderness.

Why not stay on and let nature run its course? Lizard Fortress sounds like a pretty good time.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
For people having migrant issues, there's a variety of things that affect it, but I find that trading generously to the dwarf caravans (their profit number turns green) seems to attract well. And just having higher wealth in general. If you can get basic safety and 'not starving immediately' down, sometimes just smoothing out the rock and having someone on making rock crafts on repeat can help out.

Also my wardogs are like a bee swarm now. About every person of the military has 5 dogs following them at all times. I send one squad out on a raid to steal books from a goblin conquered forest, and it took almost a season to get all the dogs out of the map. There's casualties, sure. But they breed way faster. And they rip out goblin throats real good.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 10, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Drakenel posted:

For people having migrant issues, there's a variety of things that affect it, but I find that trading generously to the dwarf caravans (their profit number turns green) seems to attract well. And just having higher wealth in general. If you can get basic safety and 'not starving immediately' down, sometimes just smoothing out the rock and having someone on making rock crafts on repeat can help out.
In addition to ensuring that the caravan profit number is green, gifting them what you planned on trading but can't sell them will work even better.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
In my experience the #1 way to ensure you get migrants is to let worldgen run a little longer so populations are higher, and embark near-ish to high population civs.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
yeah but I like my small world I can actually influence. Drive the goblins back to their fortresses. Bring civilizations to ruin.

The wardog program works better than I thought. Give an attack order to the squad and they're like furry little missiles. They just jump on and knock the enemy down while the soldier casually walks up and puts them out of their misery.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nosre posted:

I'm at 120 residents now and more stuff just seems to be breaking, I'm going to retire this and restart. Is it possible it's due to framerate?

Like the aforementioned dumping issues - they're leaving Prepared Meals to rot in the kitchen which is like 15 tiles away from a big stockpile with lots of space (and I have free barrels). Or not dumping things that I've marked as trash for at least a year now:

Or randomly not completing jobs like this (again, for like a year), even though there's nothing blocking it and OTHER wall sections nearby have gotten finished (so I know I have dwarfs with the labor on and it isn't a surface permissions issue):

They've also stopped dealing with bodies so ghosts are popping up, even though I have empty tombs and tombs have worked before. Double checked the labor permissions on that too, shouldn't be any problem.

Check the tasks menu (second from the left, on the bottom left) and see what everyone is doing instead, might give a clue.

If I build a roof over a pasture, will grass grow back for the animals pastured there? I usually bring a handful of breeding turkeys but don't like leaving them exposed.

Edit: Oh make sure your "Refuse" stockpile outside also has a Dumping zone on top of it, that's usually worked for me. Remember that the Corpse stockpile is for friendly corpses, Refuse is for non-friendly/animals.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 10, 2022

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Drakenel posted:

yeah but I like my small world I can actually influence. Drive the goblins back to their fortresses. Bring civilizations to ruin.

The wardog program works better than I thought. Give an attack order to the squad and they're like furry little missiles. They just jump on and knock the enemy down while the soldier casually walks up and puts them out of their misery.

Warcat program when
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwaD9tb1P50

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I bought a tame grizzly bear from the elves yesterday, sitting it in a pasture at the front gate was great for exposing kobolds.

Beecheese
Aug 4, 2014

This is a really dumb question, but Google couldn't help me. I tried to dig a three tile-wide channel, but messed up one of the edges, and now there's an open space there and I can't order my dwarves to dig down. I tried building a wall and a floor on that spot and one level below to reset it, but nothing works. Any ideas?

Visual representation:
https://imgur.com/a/UkEfSGl

Beecheese fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 10, 2022

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Beecheese posted:

This is a really dumb question, but Google couldn't help me. I tried to dig a three tile-wide channel, but messed up one of the edges, and now there's an open space there and I can't order my dwarves to dig down. I tried building a wall and a floor on that spot and one level below to reset it, but nothing works. Any ideas?

Visual representation:
https://imgur.com/a/UkEfSGl

I don't get what you have or what you want.
Do you have a natural wall on the lower level and open space without floor on the top level?

The easiest way to deal with that would be to send someone down into the channel and dig out the wall normally. You should have safety ramps or stairs anyway in case your dwarves fall into the channel.

Beecheese
Aug 4, 2014

VictualSquid posted:

I don't get what you have or what you want.
Do you have a natural wall on the lower level and open space without floor on the top level?

The easiest way to deal with that would be to send someone down into the channel and dig out the wall normally. You should have safety ramps or stairs anyway in case your dwarves fall into the channel.

Sorry, let me try to be clearer. I was trying to build the 3-tile-wide entrance ramp for wagons mentioned in the wiki Quickstart guide.

You basically got it right, except it's a built floor on the lower level instead of a wall, and open space without floor on the top level. When I try to dig a channel on the open space, nothing happens. This is what it looks like in the lower level, in case that helps:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beecheese fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 10, 2022

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Whats the best way to get and store water?

So many years since i played this but i had to get it now.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh holy crap ok I got my Marksdwarves to FINALLY pick up ammo. You need to set them to the default archer uniform and not touch anything else, it's definitely bugged for new uniforms

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, but like, I wouldn't want to run a minecart down my main hallway?

it will turn dwarves into a cloud of red particles, yes

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Beecheese posted:

Sorry, let me try to be clearer. I was trying to build the 3-tile-wide entrance ramp for wagons mentioned in the wiki Quickstart guide.

You basically got it right, except it's a built floor on the lower level instead of a wall, and open space without floor on the top level. When I try to dig a channel on the open space, nothing happens. This is what it looks like in the lower level, in case that helps:

You just have to construct an artificial ramp in the lower space from the construction menu.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Nosre posted:

I'm at 120 residents now and more stuff just seems to be breaking, I'm going to retire this and restart. Is it possible it's due to framerate?

Like the aforementioned dumping issues - they're leaving Prepared Meals to rot in the kitchen which is like 15 tiles away from a big stockpile with lots of space (and I have free barrels). Or not dumping things that I've marked as trash for at least a year now:

Or randomly not completing jobs like this (again, for like a year), even though there's nothing blocking it and OTHER wall sections nearby have gotten finished (so I know I have dwarfs with the labor on and it isn't a surface permissions issue):

They've also stopped dealing with bodies so ghosts are popping up, even though I have empty tombs and tombs have worked before. Double checked the labor permissions on that too, shouldn't be any problem.

In your butcher shop the items being left behind are refuse and corpses which generally go into a refuse/corpses stockpile - however, you have flagged them for dumping, so they are marked to be moved into a garbage dump instead. If you haven't designated a garbage dump zone, these items will never be moved because they have no destination to be moved to. Remove the dump flag from these items and they will be moved into an available refuse stockpile. If you create a garbage dump zone (using the zone menu) it will move these items to the garbage dump you designate. This isn't generally a good idea for volatile trash unless the garbage dump is set up to be a pit over a magma source, however.

the wall job is being cancelled because the builder is getting startled by something, you probably have some giant birds around, or something dangerous in the moat that is scaring them off.

dwarves have a bad habit of claiming items (making it their property) and then dropping them in random places, once something belongs to a dwarf other dwarves will generally avoid picking it up, I believe this can apply to food items. Dwarves seem to do this more often when the food stockpile fills up, even if it's only temporarily full. I don't think there's anything you can proactively do about this, cleaning up unwanted personal items is one of the main reasons people use DFHack

sometimes outdoor corpses can be marked as dangerous / forbidden, this can happen if a dwarf carrying the corpse back gets startled and drops it, for example. If a corpse is forbidden, the dwarves won't get around to burying it. If you can't get a corpse buried, you can make a slab and then engrave it at a stonecarver to create a memorial for the dead dwarf. Placing the memorial anywhere in your fort after it has been engraved will get rid of the ghost.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 10, 2022

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Appoda posted:

What's the easiest way to access a cavern layer? I built my fort near the sea and it seems like no matter where I dig, I end up with a "flood everything" level aquifer or w/e. I guess next time I'll just build in the continent and dig deeeeep down.

BTW, don't embark adjacent to beaches/seas. It fucks your hardware FPS and there's never anything to catch anyways for your fisherdwarf.
I wrote this a while back for an earlier version, but it should still suffice for breaching a heavy aquifer pretty quickly:

Pickled Tink posted:

<snip>

Anyway, here's your fifteen minute guide to breaching an aquifer:

When embarking on an aquifer, I bring 5 stone with me. This is because I hate using pumps for this. Too much time and effort, so I use a collapse. You only really need 3, but if there's a second aquifer layer (I haven't seen it in 0.31.xx but it happened in 40d fairly frequently)

Here we are with my exploratory shaft, and branching off from that is my initial designation for my drop.

Here we are with everything dug out, and the support installed. Since I didn't have much room to work with to get my nice solid plug of earth, I built a scaffold to hang the plug off by a support.

And here we are, with me punching through to the hematite and dolomite below. You see how I have stayed away from the edge of where the plug was dropped in my digging so that I do not open space next to aquifer ground. Also, now you know why I used a plug that size: So I could get a wagon down through it.

The corner channels are where I dug drains to remove the excess water.

Building and performing this took me 20 game days.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nosre posted:

I'm having the same problem, rotten meals just left lying on the ground for months with no one doing anything to it, either before I specifically designed it as trash, or after. Doesn't make a difference

I've got a garbage dump up on the surface that has been used for other things (so I know it works)

Checked the labor settings, everything is turned on

No burrow is active

very annoying

Check your labor settings again, I had this problem and it finally improved after I realized I had the hauling detail set to "only selected do this" combined with every single piece of fallen tree fruit on the entire surface generating a "haul item to stockpile" job

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Check the tasks menu (second from the left, on the bottom left) and see what everyone is doing instead, might give a clue.
Edit: Oh make sure your "Refuse" stockpile outside also has a Dumping zone on top of it, that's usually worked for me. Remember that the Corpse stockpile is for friendly corpses, Refuse is for non-friendly/animals.

shame on an IGA posted:

Check your labor settings again, I had this problem and it finally improved after I realized I had the hauling detail set to "only selected do this" combined with every single piece of fallen tree fruit on the entire surface generating a "haul item to stockpile" job

Mirthless posted:

In your butcher shop the items being left behind are refuse and corpses which need to go into a refuse/corpses stockpile (not a garbage dump) - if the refuse pile is full, they will ignore anything in the butcher's shop. Likewise if the butcher shop is outside. I think the nearly fully enclosed shop may also be contributing to this problem tbh, it appears like they have largely done away with impassable workshop squares but it was such a constant problem in earlier builds that I generally build 3x3 shops in 5x5 rooms and if I need to space save for multiple workshops I will build a much larger room than I need and cluster the workshops in the center, with plenty of buffer room for movement around the edges.

the wall job is being cancelled because the builder is getting startled by something, you probably have some giant birds around, or something dangerous in the moat that is scaring them off.

dwarves have a bad habit of claiming items (making it their property) and then dropping them in random places, once something belongs to a dwarf other dwarves will generally avoid picking it up, I believe this can apply to food items. Dwarves seem to do this more often when the food stockpile fills up, even if it's only temporarily full

sometimes outdoor corpses can be marked as dangerous / forbidden, this can happen if a dwarf carrying the corpse back gets startled and drops it, for example. If a corpse is forbidden, the dwarves won't get around to burying it. If you can't get a corpse buried, you can make a slab and then engrave it at a stonecarver to create a memorial for the dead dwarf. Placing the memorial anywhere in your fort after it has been engraved will get rid of the ghost.
Thanks for these. You're probably right about the refuse/dump issue, I'll try that next time. Don't think that was the issue for the wall, though. It was a very peaceful map, barely any wildlife, and other dwarves were passing by the area doing other things fine.

Likewise for the corpses, I checked a bunch of times that they were not forbidden and that the outside collection labour options were toggled on. Maybe it was the 'only selected do this' thing :shrug:

On the plus side, my new embark looks kicking rad

The wagon, with a curving small river cutting around it, cliffs to the south, and a big chasm

The smaller river waterfalls 23 levels down to the big one in the gorge below

Dwarves need to not have a fear of heights to enter this fort. Also, the defensive possibilities are endless!

Beecheese
Aug 4, 2014

VictualSquid posted:

You just have to construct an artificial ramp in the lower space from the construction menu.

That worked, thanks!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Affi posted:

Whats the best way to get and store water?

So many years since i played this but i had to get it now.

If you have a river nearby, you dig a tunnel to the edge of the river, set up floodgates and use it to flood a location underneath your living area so you can hook up wells to it

If you don't have a river nearby, you will probably need to dig to the cave to actually get a reliable fresh water source. You can kind of rely on surface ponds, but dwarves don't like drinking stagnant water.

in either the case of a river or surface ponds, you really want to divert it into a below-ground cistern so your dwarves can safely access their water supply without having to leave the fort, for ponds you want these rooms to be slightly smaller than the pond they are draining from or you will end up evaporating it all away. For rivers, you need floodgates on both sides, and probably some wall grates to keep the floodgates from getting clogged. Overfilling a cistern is generally a fortress ending screwup so be very careful if you are diverting a river for fresh water.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Things have been pretty tense in the burrow; every few minutes a dwarf storms into the manager's office and yells at him for a while before going back to the tavern across the hall. It's just Glengarry Glen Dwarf down here, everyone taking out their poo poo on that rear end in a top hat Williamson.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ah, nevermind, the turtle shells are being organised now. Holy drat I got a lot of pond turtle shells. Been making everything out of them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
are dwarves just not sexual? ive had a few had kids but never noticed anyone having sex or having sex as an unmet need or anything like that

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
dwarfs propagate via spores

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just dug deep enough to find my first big cave system, is there a way to stop randos from going past a certain point or is it just inevitable that kids are going to make their way down there and get stuck eventually?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
so be it. still seems like they should occasionally have "unmet needs: shoot spores"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

explosivo posted:

I just dug deep enough to find my first big cave system, is there a way to stop randos from going past a certain point or is it just inevitable that kids are going to make their way down there and get stuck eventually?

you can install a door or hatch and forbid it/lock it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Just starting to play after a hectic week. Will report back with my weekend adventure for gang tag.

Has water pressure mechanics changed at all in v50? Or can I still make a 45 degree jog in a tunnel to drop the pressure back to ambient for filling a cistern?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Khanstant posted:

are dwarves just not sexual? ive had a few had kids but never noticed anyone having sex or having sex as an unmet need or anything like that

You'll notice married dwarves will sleep in the same bed. This as close as you'll get to titillation. A very deliberate design choice due to the expectations of nerd behavior.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Shoehead posted:

Oh holy crap ok I got my Marksdwarves to FINALLY pick up ammo. You need to set them to the default archer uniform and not touch anything else, it's definitely bugged for new uniforms

I have my marksdwarves using ammo under a new uniform so it's not that entirely. But I wonder if it is maybe related to whether you had quivers and ammo at the time you created the uniform or something.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Let's keep that kind of vulgarity out of the game. I dont want to see my dwarfs loving or pooping

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
guess dwarves dont piss or poo poo either which is good because im not good at plumbing

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
do not question how the dwarven cloaca works

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Can you mine to the edge of the map to let water run off?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

wilderthanmild posted:

Can you mine to the edge of the map to let water run off?

You used to be able to. I haven't tried it in the new version. Presumably it still works, as it is actually part of the system of how rivers work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Khanstant posted:

you can install a door or hatch and forbid it/lock it.

This'll do, thanks!