Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sagebrush posted:

i pray that twitter dies if only to stop people posting stuff that should be a blog post as twitter threads.

good loving god i hate twitter threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

jesus WEP posted:

i guess they’ve all migrated to youtube but i don’t want to watch or listen to some obsessive weirdo’s thoughts on stuff

lol

i don't disagree, its just that if its not some monetized bullshit or professionally produced, thats literally all that there is on there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol ive been working on the technicals for my stream so much that i completely forgot if/how i monetize youtube live. literally no idea how it works. also dont care

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah i don't post to youtube and don't care to, but i can't imagine myself giving a poo poo unless it's literally just a toggle

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

long form videos have to be very loving good (i.e. folding ideas, etc) for me to click at all, and even then most of the time they go on 1.25x speed right away

last night i was looking at reviews of various apps for turning your smartphone into a webcam. some of them compared five programs and were like six minutes long. the others were comparing two and 28 god drat minutes

the classic "video that could have been a single paragraph"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

infernal machines posted:

sometimes you get a blessed soul in the comments who timestamps the bit you need

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh the absolute worst was last night i was googling how to permanently for loving sure turn off win10 updates

some loving rear end in a top hat suggested a video that was six minutes of a video crawl of registry edit keys to change

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

jesus WEP posted:

sometimes you get a blessed soul in the comments who timestamps the bit you need

the sponsorblock extension gives you a button to skip to the important part if someone has tagged it. it's life-changing

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
zuck's "pivot to video" is an intolerable success

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

oh the absolute worst was last night i was googling how to permanently for loving sure turn off win10 updates

some loving rear end in a top hat suggested a video that was six minutes of a video crawl of registry edit keys to change

without getting too deep in the weeds on this, the way to do it is to set the update policy gpo with the local policy editor to point to a local update server

you don't have to run a local update server, you just have to set the policy to only use one

if you have a non-pro version of windows and can't set local policy, you've already made your bed.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

the sponsorblock extension gives you a button to skip to the important part if someone has tagged it. it's life-changing

yt-dlp eats sponsorblock cues, too. fuckin' bless

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

two channels that have long videos with extremely good content to fluff ratio is tech ingredients and applied science. it actually surprises me how they can speak about something for so long without rambling or even without using filler words like “ummmm” or “uhhhh” - it’s just an expert speaking about something they are very knowledgeable about and I don’t even care when they’re 45+ minutes long

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

without getting too deep in the weeds on this, the way to do it is to set the update policy gpo with the local policy editor to point to a local update server

you don't have to run a local update server, you just have to set the policy to only use one

if you have a non-pro version of windows and can't set local policy, you've already made your bed.

i regedit'd the windows update medic service to Disabled, who knows if it'll work or not. if not, i'll look into it thx

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

np.

i have no idea if that's one of the special services that gets periodically re-enabled by a system scheduled task, so if it does, the local update server setting will work for sure, because that's a fully supported feature

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Beeftweeter posted:

zuck's "pivot to video" is an intolerable success

and now every media site that didn’t learn their loving lesson is doing the exact same thing now but because tiktok is popular instead

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

last night i was looking at reviews of various apps for turning your smartphone into a webcam. some of them compared five programs and were like six minutes long. the others were comparing two and 28 god drat minutes
Camo.app is great, depends on your setup obv

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i’m now imagining a tiktok showing all the registry keys to edit but they’re only onscreen for a 1/4 second each.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

it bugs me how many people on youtube just speak so loving slowly.

...like 20 seconds to say a simple sentence that a normal person would say in 8-10

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 10, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

its insanely easy to change the edition of windows if you already have it legitimately activated, you can just use one of the default cd keys to "upgrade"

you do have to do it completely offline but once its done you can reconnect and it even upgrades the license on your ms account

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/wongmjane/status/1601151897389260800

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I’m still not sure if that tweet is a joke or not

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
low-hanging compute

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Chris Knight posted:

Camo.app is great, depends on your setup obv

ergh. looks good but $80 is almost razer kiyo pricing. i tried out epoccam last night but it won't work over USB, which i require, and all the support threads are 'have you tried unplugging and replugging your phone, hth'

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

hmm

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

ergh. looks good but $80 is almost razer kiyo pricing. i tried out epoccam last night but it won't work over USB, which i require, and all the support threads are 'have you tried unplugging and replugging your phone, hth'

probably a long shot but if you have an android thing laying around most of them can be repurposed into a generic class usb camera

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jonny 290 posted:

I use NDI camera (albeit on ios) in a semi professional environment, it never broke unless the client had issues. The android variant requires a relatively recent build of android so watch out before purchasing.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

I think there's a free version now

quote:

Camo's free edition is great for straightforward, high-quality calls and recordings, but lacks adjustments. It gives you resolutions up to and including 720p video, along with a choice of the device's selfie lens, or the main back lens (the wide one). The free version of Camo also lets you access your device's audio, use augmented reality (AR) modes, and keep the screen of your device dimmed while using Camo. With the free version, you can also connect multiple iOS devices and switch between them.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lmao

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Linda³ (1995, PC Engine CD, dir. T. Makyou)

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXmv8quf_xM

:hmmyes: dot mov

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beeftweeter posted:

probably a long shot but if you have an android thing laying around most of them can be repurposed into a generic class usb camera

i have a spare iphone 13 pro max. i figured it out. itunes for some reason was not installing the apple mobile device drivers. some kind soul made a .zip of them and after that, everything works perfectly.

after smoke testing i bought epoccam for $8 and it works perfectly. the elgato software lets me switch lenses, zoom, do filters. and it works perfectly on usb (which is what i wanted - wifi lag is not acceptable). Sorted!

it looks 10000x better than my cheap chinese manual focus webcam (which i'll still keep around for bench / solder shots, it's good at that) but i'm not posting samples yet because the iphone is too high res and i need a bath lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
ah good! also good to know the same is possible on ios, i just have way fewer of devices laying around because i actually use them lol

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

or you could not do very dumb things

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

i have a spare iphone 13 pro max. i figured it out. itunes for some reason was not installing the apple mobile device drivers. some kind soul made a .zip of them and after that, everything works perfectly.
👍

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1601667312930590721?s=20&t=NrXSF6xhczia5vDIxKN3mQ

drat who runs twitter again?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shumagorath posted:

or you could not do very dumb things

Get back to me when Windows pushes an update on Friday afternoon and delays your live DJ set by a half hour while you frantically figure out how to uninstall breaking updates. we'll chat then

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I know his posts are bad but I don't know that they'd actually be prosecution worthy. If he thinks so, who am I to argue.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

oh, good, lets give them money

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

a grimes scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

big lol at musk firing people for leaking whilst simultaneously "publishing" piles and piles of internal poo poo to prove that his investment was in fact total garbage