Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Nosre posted:

Dwarves need to not have a fear of heights to enter this fort. Also, the defensive possibilities are endless!

That looks great. Keep us updated on how many take the plunge!

I'm planning to dig out something similar under my entrance, once I get to it. Knowing how often dorfs stumble would be useful! :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Well, since quickfort doesn't exist right now I guess I'm gonna keep playing in worldgen for a while.

Is everything just Age of Myth forever now? I remember back when Mytth wouldn't last long and you'd be in Legends or Heroes fairly quickly but now it seems Myth lasts a long time. I guess necromancers boost the weird poo poo numbers perpetually.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I'm probably just a dummy, but I can't figure out how to start a new fort in the same world. I think I understand some of the systems better and want a location with more interesting terrain.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, since quickfort doesn't exist right now I guess I'm gonna keep playing in worldgen for a while.

Is everything just Age of Myth forever now? I remember back when Mytth wouldn't last long and you'd be in Legends or Heroes fairly quickly but now it seems Myth lasts a long time. I guess necromancers boost the weird poo poo numbers perpetually.

IIRC, the age of Myth started sticking around a lot longer when Toady added the ability for megabeasts to breed in worldgen. Used to be that you got a bunch created with the world and that's all there would ever ne.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what kind of poo poo should i make now that my fortress is pretty stable. theres like a million item options and idk what is useful

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Hmmm a traders caravan seems brokenm. A Yak and two dwarves are here and the trader is gone, but all their info says they aren't part of any civ or anything. They are just kinda wandering around outside and the poo poo they carry is being counted as part of the fort stocks.

Maybe they'll die and I can take all their poo poo.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gnoman posted:

IIRC, the age of Myth started sticking around a lot longer when Toady added the ability for megabeasts to breed in worldgen. Used to be that you got a bunch created with the world and that's all there would ever ne.

ahhhh

yeah I hadn't considered that there would be like baby bronze colossi toddling about

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Follow up, the merchants are here too, but like also wandering around outside. Are they stuck?

Some are in the trees too for some reason.

This is weird.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

hailthefish posted:

You only get the seeds back from something you grow when it's 'processed' and your dwarves don't know to save some aside as seed-shrooms so it is possible for your dwarves to plant all the seeds they have and cook all the shrooms they grow and you might not notice until it is too late. This is mostly a risk in the very early game, when you only have enough shrooms and seeds for a few seasons of planting, or like, one month of a cook going ham.

So the safest and easiest fire-and-forget thing is to just ban the cooking of things you're growing. If you would like to cook them there's nothing wrong with it, but it might be wise to forbid a small stash somewhere so that if they DO cook everything, you can ban cooking, unforbid them, and replant.

Also the risk varies a lot based on your biome. If you have enough berry bushes and such growing on the surface you can survive the up-to-a-year for the caravan to come, but if you don't get caravans where you are, and/or if there's nothing growing on the surface, welp. You can still desperately mine for a cavern and try to replenish your stocks that way but depending on how long it takes you to realize where all the food and booze went, you may not have time.

Thanks! I have a ton of fruit/nut trees so I probably don't need to be cooking plump helmets but I have been and on I still have like 100+ seeds so it's probably pretty safe. This is good to keep in mind though.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Okay, deconstructing my trade depot seems to have sorted them out. They are leaving, but left all their stuff in the depot

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

Can you mine to the edge of the map to let water run off?

VictualSquid posted:

You used to be able to. I haven't tried it in the new version. Presumably it still works, as it is actually part of the system of how rivers work.
So long as you're digging in rock, you can smooth out the rocks at the edge of the map and then fortify them, and the water will run through and away.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

For negative mood modifiers, I have some dwarves that are unhappy because they're bored and haven't done something creative in a long time, as well as haven't been able to fight anything (despite having no martial skills). For the latter I guess I can put them in a military unit for a month but for the former is there an easier way to fix that than manually assigning them to detailing walls or giving them craftdwarf workshops?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Assigning uniforms is such a pain, can I get my military dwarves to just wear whatever?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

wilderthanmild posted:

Can you mine to the edge of the map to let water run off?

VictualSquid posted:

You used to be able to. I haven't tried it in the new version. Presumably it still works, as it is actually part of the system of how rivers work.

You can't mine the last wall at the edge of the map. Caverns might still have underground flows? I haven't played in a while so don't know if they existed before the Steam Version.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

So long as you're digging in rock, you can smooth out the rocks at the edge of the map and then fortify them, and the water will run through and away.

This however I did not know.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Gnoman posted:

My last genned world entered age of Legends in year 489 of a 500 year generation.

In the past I had a world enter the Sixth Age of Myth because every time some hero would kill a megabeast, the dragons would make another baby dragon. It was the same damned dragon making all the babies.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So some dwarf petitioned me to let him stay "for the purpose to entertain", but turns out he's a legendary weaponsmith.
Any way I can convince him to do some smithing for me?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Vichan posted:

Assigning uniforms is such a pain, can I get my military dwarves to just wear whatever?
I played this game a ton a decade ago but I don't remember a thing about military management.

I had my woodcutter, who was a competent enough axedwarf, standing very close to a cave crocodile who was menacing another dwarf. I try and draft her, realize I need to make her militia commander, organize her squad, etc. Uniform? I don't care. I'll just pick "no uniform".

I successfully draft her up, tell her to fight the crocodile and... she throws her axe to the ground, instantly strips naked, and dives into that crocodile's jaws.

That's... not exactly what I intended. Going to have to spend some time figuring out this system.

Can you just tell them to go with one of the preset armors and just not worry about it if you don't have all the equipment?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

So some dwarf petitioned me to let him stay "for the purpose to entertain", but turns out he's a legendary weaponsmith.
Any way I can convince him to do some smithing for me?
The dorf is petitioning to become a long-term resident, which after about two years in a petition for the dorf to become a citizen, and then you'll have a new legendary weaponsmith.

EDIT: Only entertainer and student can petitions twice to eventually become citizens, monster hunters and mercenaries will just stick around forever - so you want to assign a dormitory to your tavern to keep them happy. You can find out how here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DioRNZhdyiI

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 10, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

wilderthanmild posted:

Okay, deconstructing my trade depot seems to have sorted them out. They are leaving, but left all their stuff in the depot

Yeah, that's yours now, you kinda robbed them. Which may or may not cause issues.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

It's very likely you're now at war with your mountainhome, and will have lots of Fun.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The dorf is petitioning to become a long-term resident, which after about two years in a petition for the dorf to become a citizen, and then you'll have a new legendary weaponsmith.

Alright, cheers!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Vichan posted:

You can create a custom uniform that is any piece of X equipment and assign it to entire squads. But it shouldn't be that difficult since when you create a squad it asks for you to select their uniform, unless you're trying to mix marksdwarves and melee in one squad heavily.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Alright, cheers!
Sorry, I edited my comment a bit, and you may wanna catch the edit because it's sort of important. :ohdear:

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Vichan posted:

Try assigning them a uniform that's just a weapon of their choice and allow partial match, that should get them to pick up arms and wear whatever I think.

I didn't really get the uniform system so my two squads just practiced wrasslin' for years until my first major encounter, a forest titan. It picked off a lone lumber dwarf on its way to my fort, but my squads cornered it, pushed it down and beat it into submission.

Overall my third(?) fort is going very well right now, after a lot of trial and error trying to irrigate myself a mushroom farm plot and punching through babby's first aquifier. My population has exploded to 150+, my tavern is attracting absurd amounts of travelers and bards, religions and guilds are thriving and I'm easily buying out everything of interest from caravans. Four years in, my only deaths have been the one titan-mauled guy, and two bar brawl casualties. My engineer and blacksmith got into a drunken fight in my absolutely packed tavern, dragging in over a dozen other characters who presumably tried to stop the fight. Both of my dwarves survived the fight unscathed, but two bystanders got injured and died while in the hospital. I like this game a lot.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Confirming that carving fortifications trick worked and I can drain off the edge of the map that way!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

do I have to manually make tomb zones for each coffin now?

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

Well I've had my first deathspiral. A swarm of 12 giant thrips descended on my fortress from above and killed half the fort. Right as I thought I had stabilized things I had two giant squirrels come in and immediately start killing more. Now the ghosts of the first to die are rising and I'm fairly sure this is going to be unrecoverable for awhile. I'm thinking I'll abandon the fort and come back in the same spot since besides these giant fuckers things were going great. Maybe I embarked somewhere where there is an excess of giant agitated creatures. Also I think one of my dwarves is a vampire also.

Griz
May 21, 2001

I had a world that kept bouncing between Myth and Legends and was on Third Legends after 250 years.

first fort, year 2, early summer: necromancer arrives with 5 armored zombies. squad goes out, now there's 10 armored zombies.

second fort has the biggest cavern I've ever seen, it goes from -10 to -57 and the spot where I cracked it open is just a 30 z level vertical cliff

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Stairmaster posted:

If you put them in individual rooms with doors you can use the Multi designation mode.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

elven bone meal keeps spawning all over my map and interrupting jobs because all my dwarves keep running to the well on the farthest corner of the surface to bathe. Is this how the first elven trade caravan is haunting me, by raining their pulped skeletons everywhere forever?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
So question - is the world map dynamic? As in can goblins spread, new towers show up, etc? I know you can take over sites but can the other civs expand?

I apparently pissed off the elves even though I followed their quotas, and when I got news from the mountainhomes apparently they sent an army to another fort because it was closer. Sorry folks!

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

wilderthanmild posted:

I actually had similar buggy behavior as well. Traded with some humans, they happily packed up and started leaving. Except on the way out one of the guards got into a fight with a cougar. No one died or even got injured but they wouldn't actually pack up and leave and just stood frozen on the map. Well, finally after like a year of nothing happening I deconstructed the trade depot and the humans got done leaving. To be honest I'm not sure I suffered any negative effects either since they were technically on their way out already anyway, even though I definitely "stole" some items from said depot.

Also, despite being hostile on the embark map, I checked via the world map screen in fort mode and apparently my civ is friendly with the nearby goblins? I guess I'm not complaining, but so far the only things of note have been three forgotten beasts, two of which are currently in an inaccessible cavern layer.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

I'm trying to make soap. According to the wiki, this can be accomplished by pressing olives to oil at a screw press. I have olives, but I don't get that option.

I also have no huntsdwarf, so butchering animals seem harder. Maybe I can try a kill order on some randon bit of wildlife instead.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Any way to set a work station to not immediately drop a perpetual work order the second they run out of ingredients?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Clocks posted:

I actually had similar buggy behavior as well. Traded with some humans, they happily packed up and started leaving. Except on the way out one of the guards got into a fight with a cougar. No one died or even got injured but they wouldn't actually pack up and leave and just stood frozen on the map. Well, finally after like a year of nothing happening I deconstructed the trade depot and the humans got done leaving. To be honest I'm not sure I suffered any negative effects either since they were technically on their way out already anyway, even though I definitely "stole" some items from said depot.

Yeah, for me it might be that there is a constant onslaught of Keas against anyone outside, which is probably why there were like 6 of these caravans stuck in various spots on the map. That might be why some of them were in the trees too, chasing the birds into the trees to murder them, then just deciding they live there now.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

Yep, although it's obviously a bug.
However, Tarn is working on adding a mausoleum zone that can contain multiple tombs - so that it works like dormitories now, which is also how tombs were supposed to work.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
For a starting dwarf huntsman is it better to make a marksdwarf or something else

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Dwarves in my tavern keep telling human mercs about some artifact bone leggings we've got on display in the residents-only dining room and it keeps leading to those same mercs being literally de-limbed by a squad of furious dwarven wrestlers when they take a run at trying to heist it

Starting to think they're doing it intentionally

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Any way to set a work station to not immediately drop a perpetual work order the second they run out of ingredients?

Start using the Work Order screen instead of perpetual orders. You can set things up with a variety of triggers, like "If stores of X items are equal to 0, create 10 of X."

The only thing I have set as perpetual in a workshop is rock crafts, at the moment.

For a starting dwarf huntsman is it better to make a marksdwarf or something else

Most animals are probably faster than a Dwarf until it gets injured or tired so ranged is usually better. Also less teeth and claws to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

My dwarf we have a giant chapel dedicated to the god you want as well as an instrument player, why are you so mad that you can't worship it :negative: