Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Quick poll:

I’m debating actually getting one of these things for my office. Which iPhone display should I consider getting:

https://gridstudio.cc/collections/iphone

I’d lean towards the 5 personally.

5/5s is the nicest thing Apple’s ever designed save for the original iMac, although I suppose it’s just a refinement on the 4 which was the really groundbreaking one, so you should really go for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

RandolphCarter posted:

Still waiting for my phone to process my pics for photo shuffle.

Photo shuffle is still processing on my phone.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

RandolphCarter posted:

Photo shuffle is still processing on my phone.

I don't know whether this is what you're referring to, and I know it'd be better if it wasn't so opaque, but I do kind of like how opaque phones are doing background photo stuff. Both iOS and Android. Like, how it randomly decides one day to show you a photo montage of all the microwave meals you've photographed and subsequently eaten, set to smooth jazz. It feels like the phone's been working on some creepy secret project without telling you about it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just wish the processing of new images was prioritized a little higher. When I'm taking adorable cat pics to spam my wife with there's a 2-3 second delay before selecting the image actually selects it for me. The photo gets a little dot on it to indicate the phone is processing it, so that's something, but I demand instant cats!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

I just wish the processing of new images was prioritized a little higher. When I'm taking adorable cat pics to spam my wife with there's a 2-3 second delay before selecting the image actually selects it for me. The photo gets a little dot on it to indicate the phone is processing it, so that's something, but I demand instant cats!

Do you have a network share mounted in Files by any chance?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tuyop posted:

Do you have a network share mounted in Files by any chance?

Nope! That sounds like a very funny bug though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I sometimes get photos taking forever to resolve or stopping you from sharing them with a pie on 3/4 full showing some kind of progress. Every time, ejecting a network share I forgot about fixes it. Really weird!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Apple finally moving ahead with true E2E encryption for your backups, or so they claim

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2022/12/apple-advances-user-security-with-powerful-new-data-protections/

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Tomorrow's the day I get my first iPhone after using Android my whole smartphone life. I'm probably going to install the Google apps alongside the iOS versions of the apps to see what I like, but is there anything you guys recommend besides patience? I picked up a bunch of cables from Monoprice to replace the ones I still use, plan on picking up a case too. Regardless, I'll most likely drop by here to ask any questions I have, excited to get away from the janky rear end Google experience

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

bagmonkey posted:

Tomorrow's the day I get my first iPhone after using Android my whole smartphone life. I'm probably going to install the Google apps alongside the iOS versions of the apps to see what I like, but is there anything you guys recommend besides patience? I picked up a bunch of cables from Monoprice to replace the ones I still use, plan on picking up a case too. Regardless, I'll most likely drop by here to ask any questions I have, excited to get away from the janky rear end Google experience

Do t try to customize every little thing to work like Anroid. Accept Tim Apple into your life.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

bagmonkey posted:

Make use of the tips app. Seems like bullshit but it’s not!

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
The best possible trade in for my galaxy s9+ I can get from AT&T is like 50 bucks. I'm guessing that's the best deal I'm going to get anywhere in order to switch to iphone 14 pro? :(

How often do people go more than the 128gb capacity? On my current phone I've still never filled up by 64gb so I imagine I'll be fine... unless I go crazy with the new camera or something

(and should I get it through my carrier? Or directly from Apple? )

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bagmonkey posted:

Don't load up your homescreen with apps and get into the habit of just swiping down and searching for most functionality, whether it be searching for an app on the app store, entering the location of a local business, opening an app, finding a contact, etc. Many of the apps you download integrate into iOS's search functionality, and you can fine-tune the settings to show or hide specific apps you use more often.

Apple has a "back button" swipe gesture, but it's "per modal", meaning it won't dump you between different apps willy-nilly - it only goes back to each section's natural progression within it's timeline. This can really bother Android users who make the switch, but I find iOS's back gesture more predictable when I use it.

Some apps will abuse notifications and send your marketing BS - I know Android is a little better about this, but unfortunately us iOS users are beholden by the apps themselves - Amazon, for example, doesn't offer any fine-tune notification settings, so if you want package delivery notifications, you'll have to ignore Prime Day marketing notifications and Prime TV bullshit, or turn them off entirely. Personally, I turn off most badges and only keep badges on for messaging-based apps (and likely have them on my homescreen). Another nifty trick is you can swipe an app's notification and add it to a daily summary, or mute it for an hour or for the day.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 8, 2022

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the replies, this all sounds pretty great! I'm planning on bringing over as few apps to my new phone as possible and only adding news ones if I've found an actual need to install them. It's a good chance to break the habit of keeping poo poo installed for once a month usage. Also will definitely dive into the Tips app, I know the Pixel one was surprisingly good and helped me get adjusted to the Android gesture controls (which were not very consistent as GR noted, its an example of one of the small things that led me to decide to switch to iOS)

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

bagmonkey posted:

You'll see a load of youtubers who set up shortcuts to customize their home screens in the way you can with Android but honestly it's a huge pain to do and makes the UI feel less smooth, and if the design of the stock interface isn't to your taste then you probably shouldn't use it anyway because design is like 70% of the appeal of Apple stuff.

I've never enjoyed the Mail app, because it doesn't automatically filter promotions/linkedin spam/etc in the way the Gmail client does. But the Gmail app is solid on iOS, and your google account should integrate fine with the stock calendar/notes apps.

Do make use of widgets. I found them a lot less laggy than on my Pixel 6, where it'd always take a moment or two from unlocking to update. They're always ready and lookin' good on iOS.

But yes it's definitely more consistent than Android in a lotta ways (besides Siri, which tends to be much less consistent than Google Assistant), which is nice. You'll probably get given a free AppleTV+ trial. Severance is really good on there.

Also you won't be able to set two timers at once, which sucks, so make peace with that now, especially if you use phone timers for cooking.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Need a watch for multiple timers. Kind of dumb

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Even if you use Google's native apps, it might be worth going into the system settings and adding your google account within the iOS ecosystem, just so your iPhone can easily search and filter that information across the entire OS.

bagmonkey posted:

Thanks for the replies, this all sounds pretty great! I'm planning on bringing over as few apps to my new phone as possible and only adding news ones if I've found an actual need to install them. It's a good chance to break the habit of keeping poo poo installed for once a month usage. Also will definitely dive into the Tips app, I know the Pixel one was surprisingly good and helped me get adjusted to the Android gesture controls (which were not very consistent as GR noted, its an example of one of the small things that led me to decide to switch to iOS)

You should definitely come back after you've gotten used to iOS for a while and let us know what you like/dislike/miss compared to Android.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 8, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

whalestory posted:

The best possible trade in for my galaxy s9+ I can get from AT&T is like 50 bucks. I'm guessing that's the best deal I'm going to get anywhere in order to switch to iphone 14 pro? :(

How often do people go more than the 128gb capacity? On my current phone I've still never filled up by 64gb so I imagine I'll be fine... unless I go crazy with the new camera or something

(and should I get it through my carrier? Or directly from Apple? )

Verizon will give you $400 with a 3 year contract plus a $200 switcher card. If it’s a one online plans are $70-80 a month.

No pressure, but if you want more info on this feel free to PM me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

whalestory posted:

unless I go crazy with the new camera or something

4k60 video erry day bruh

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1600993403788922880?s=46&t=4zIz-8fPSKCVar5csZfyYg

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Duckman2008 posted:

Verizon will give you $400 with a 3 year contract plus a $200 switcher card. If it’s a one online plans are $70-80 a month.

Always Be Closing duckman :D

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Goddammit Apple, I had to search for "poncle" because "Vampire Survivors" didn't return the result I wanted!

Edit: Holy poo poo An Honest To Goodness Quit Button!
I haven't seen an app with that since the 3GS days.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

Always Be Closing duckman :D

13 years and counting man.

And yeah, I think / hope most people here get I’m not trying to come in and just go buy buy buy or whatever. Like, I’ll certainly take a sale, but it’s not like it’s make or break for me. End of the day, whatever works best for a fellow goon is what works for me.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Got a 13 Mini this week and today I noticed my battery draining super fast (down to 65% after 5 hours of barely any use) and looking at battery info the culprit seems to be "Contacts - Low Signal" running in the background and using up over 45% of my battery in the last 24 hours. Quick Google search shows that this seems to be a common issue with others, and turning off Contacts sync with iCloud might solve the problem temporarily. Anyone else have this issue?

More detail here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254376585

WarMECH fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 9, 2022

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

WarMECH posted:

Got a 13 Mini this week and today I noticed my battery draining super fast (down to 65% after 5 hours of barely any use) and looking at battery info the culprit seems to be "Contacts - Low Signal" running in the background and using up over 45% of my battery in the last 24 hours. Quick Google search shows that this seems to be a common issue with others, and turning off Contacts sync with iCloud might solve the problem temporarily. Anyone else have this issue?

More detail here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254376585

When you first switch it on it'll eat up the battery doing mysterious Apple background things for a week or so. Same thing happened with my 13 Mini, but with other apps eating an inordinate amount of battery in the background. See if it settles down after a while, or if it is in fact some crazy bug. Turning off 'background app refresh' on most apps will also work wonders (your 5G or wifi is likely to be fast enough where refreshing apps on open will be fast enough without them constantly having to call home in the background).

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

When you first switch it on it'll eat up the battery doing mysterious Apple background things for a week or so. Same thing happened with my 13 Mini, but with other apps eating an inordinate amount of battery in the background. See if it settles down after a while, or if it is in fact some crazy bug. Turning off 'background app refresh' on most apps will also work wonders (your 5G or wifi is likely to be fast enough where refreshing apps on open will be fast enough without them constantly having to call home in the background).

This was much worse than the normal background things I've experienced in the past, and my Battery info showed 47% of the use in 24 hours was by "Contacts" doing something in the background (it also used 437MB of cellular data in the last day). The threads I reviewed suggested turning off iCloud backup for Contacts and that seems to have fixed the problem for now. Apparently Apple is aware and it will be fixed in the next update but it's just a weird bug.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Duckman2008 posted:

Sorry, I probably gotta stick with my at&t family plan :twisted:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

whalestory posted:

Sorry, I probably gotta stick with my at&t family plan :twisted:

Lol totally fine.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ok i got my iphone SE 2nd gen, asked someone to call me so i could answer with "new phone who dis"

i still have my old phone charger, so I did lightning to usb-c -> usb-c to usb -> usb wall plug (I think it's made by motorola)

will there be much of a charging time difference if I do lightning to usb-c -> usb-c wall adapter (probably the 35W dual one)?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yes, proper USB-C PD charging will be way faster, especially between 20%-80%.

Here's a random chart I found:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks. what is PD?

is charging speed using the m2 air usb-c (with m2 plugged in) pretty similar to using a usb-c wall adapter? i'm guessing so as there's very little difference once you get to 20W+ according to that graph

it also seems like there's much more benefit charging up to 80, after that it's slower. i know it's designed that way.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 10, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

actionjackson posted:

thanks. what is PD?

This -> https://www.usb.org/usb-charger-pd

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

actionjackson posted:

is charging speed using the m2 air usb-c (with m2 plugged in) pretty similar to using a usb-c wall adapter? i'm guessing so as there's very little difference once you get to 20W+ according to that graph

Couldn't find any definitive stats on this one.
If you go into System Profiler while charging the phone from the Mac it might tell you. Or try Coconut Battery.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i just discovered that the mute button makes a noise that you can't disable, how stupid is that

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
what

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's a mechanical switch, there kind of has to be a "click" involved.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253208029

when you hit mute when on a call it doesn't make a little bell noise?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Oh you meant the mute option in a call, not the switch on the side of the phone lol.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Using your phone to make phone calls? Couldn't be me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Phone calls? You mean those things they keep trying to scam me with? No thank you