Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Argas posted:

big duck big duck big duck

Tallduck

so this time around I'm trying to not clip directly flush and file down, of course it's taking way longer but so far no super obvious nub marks (on the feet), it's late and I'll work on it more tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The nice thing about a lot of the more recent RG kits is that they undergate the pieces on the runners so it minimizes nub marks from showing up on surface details when you're assembling the kit.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
imo RG Tallgeese is one of the few kits that looks amazing without any kind of panel lining (except for the face mask maybe) or paint. They did such a good job with the special coating and subtle shading variations in the color separation.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Marx Headroom posted:

imo RG Tallgeese is one of the few kits that looks amazing without any kind of panel lining (except for the face mask maybe) or paint. They did such a good job with the special coating and subtle shading variations in the color separation.

I bought this for a friend like 2 yrs ago and thr fucker still hasnt built it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Why the gently caress is it wanting me to apply decals to the inner skeleton

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

In case you want to leave the armor off, or it's a joint that may show when the armor slides around as you move an arm or leg.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Sometimes some bits of the skeleton show when flexing so that you can see the stickers. And even when you can't, Bandai often likes to have the skeletons of RGs and MGs feel like things you'd display as mech model kits on their own merits. Adds to the appeal.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

It's a little secret just between the two of you :ssh:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

It's a little secret just between the two of you :ssh:

I like this more than this

chiasaur11 posted:

Sometimes some bits of the skeleton show when flexing so that you can see the stickers. And even when you can't, Bandai often likes to have the skeletons of RGs and MGs feel like things you'd display as mech model kits on their own merits. Adds to the appeal.

cause I'm never gonna have a naked tallgeese

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Those stickers are generally in places you're not going to be able to reach easily once you get the armor plates on. It's kind of annoying to have to bust out the tweezers mid-build, but much worse to try to angle a metallic sticker in between two back plates on a model's spine.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I like this more than this

cause I'm never gonna have a naked tallgeese

Not even a little?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I can't believe it's not a Capule:

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Midjack posted:

Beautiful egg boy

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Rabbi Tupac posted:

Beautiful egg boy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Midjack posted:

Ohh yeah that's the stuff.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

And that's Gunpla #8 "done"

I'll do the stickers another night, probably the same time I get some gundam markers and do a bit of weathering to them.

Zechs can go paint himself though, there's no way I'm doing a suitable job painting a 10-12mm humanoid when I can barely paint 28-32mm humanoid

edit: few complaints/comments with this build

1. the head comes off fairly easily, it's a negative
2. easter egg is that it's just a souped up Leo, which is a cool design anyways, the hat comes off and otherwise uses the same shapes
3. articulation is way better than an HG, but it comes at the cost of more parts, with questionable intention of why
4. the photo is a little dusty because I didn't get the chance to completely get rid of all the sanding dust and whatnot. I'll do that later since I don't have a good place to put it where it'll be dust free for a while anyways.
5. there's some articulation that doesn't make a lot of sense, like the front crotch section moving, not sure why i need that
6. putting stickers that are completely obfuscated except from extreme camera angles is kind of dumb, I probably wont bother on other RG models.
7. Is there a PG version of this one? Probably not.
8. still a bit top heavy, to get some cool poses I think I'll need to get an action base
9. I tried for the most part cutting short instead of flush and sanding down w/ Raser and it at times still wasn't enough and left nub marks in places
10. white plastic is very hard to tell whether there are nub marks at all unless your face is near the model and looking at the right angle. Unfortunately the darker the plastic the more obvious it is, and the harder it is to get rid of.
11. I think that even RG wasn't more difficult than HG other than dealing with like, the helmet bits, where it's difficult to hold the pieces without potentially dropping them.
12. when I'm snipping bits off runners, I think I'm supposed to hold the runner by sticking my thumb in the circle part, and hold it that way, but due to how they're placed and how small they are, you kind of have to not bother with that to ensure the tiny bit doesn't go flying when you snip the bit off the runner.
13. the side....rocket? waist rockets? instructions are backwards. The little stick goes in the thigh, not the rocket itself. the stick isn't long enough to do anything more than gently hold the waist rockets, as soon as you move the leg slightly it becomes disconnected

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 8, 2022

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

GreenBuckanneer posted:

2. easter egg is that it's just a souped up Leo, which is a cool design anyways, the hat comes off and otherwise uses the same shapes

The actual easter egg is that Leo is a heavily downgraded Tallgeese. :v:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

5. there's some articulation that doesn't make a lot of sense, like the front crotch section moving, not sure why i need that

Bandai likes to flex their poseability engineering with RGs. All the articulation "makes sense" - you're just not thinking "dynamic" enough with your poses.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

7. Is there a PG version of this one? Probably not.

Yeeeeah...expect that to come out in the year 2000-in our loving dreams.

And knowing Bandai? It'll still get P-Bandai'd.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/227339

Tallgeese!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Has anybody built a Desktop Army kit? They've got them at Barnes and Noble now for some reason and I was wondering if they're decent kits.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Question for the painters itt: What's the stance on washing kits before priming?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Tin Tim posted:

Question for the painters itt: What's the stance on washing kits before priming?

necessary for resin and very old kits, not necessary for new kits unless you're a perfectionist

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

War and Pieces posted:

necessary for resin and very old kits, not necessary for new kits unless you're a perfectionist

This, with the addendum that if you've done a bunch of scribing and sanding, it's a good idea just to get the dust gone.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Tin Tim posted:

I tend to do it, just to be sure I haven't left any dust or finger/machine oil behind. I just jam all the parts in a little ultrasound cleaner and let them dry afterwards.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Has anybody built a Desktop Army kit? They've got them at Barnes and Noble now for some reason and I was wondering if they're decent kits.

I haven't bought one but from what I've seen they're basically bigger fancier gacha style kits. Nothing too involved, half statue half model kit.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Was kinda convinced this was lost in the mail because Auspost didn't update the tracking since they got it on..November 6, but yay

Thanks again Midjack

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Underwater Sister

https://twitter.com/30msisters/status/1601561365973725184?s=46&t=IMlCfNXABVfBwG9M6Yk0Lw

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Was kinda convinced this was lost in the mail because Auspost didn't update the tracking since they got it on..November 6, but yay

Thanks again Midjack

:cheerdoge: Yours definitely had the farthest to go geographically!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks for the input on washing, folks :cheers:

The question mainly came up because I'm building a HG kit from 2001 and it's very happy to transform even the tiniest amount of moisture on my hands into fingerprints so yeah that one seems to need a wash for sure

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Putting out feelers for a Secret Santa thread. has it been done? should I trust any of you with my address?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Midjack posted:

I've got that one on the way, along with the knight. Some of the 30MM stuff is really cool. I actually built one of them with my niece. She really enjoyed it, although unfortunately it was more the building stuff with her uncle than the actual cool robot.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Looks like we're getting a bunch of new announcements next week

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1602157846409662465?s=20&t=L7MfwmhHJL3YCTDdPMoBqw

I kinda suspect that the stories of Kyoukai Senki kits clogging shelves forever might have been somewhat exaggerated if they're still announcing new Kyoukai Senki models now well after the show ended.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Well, the last two that were announced were another variant on the American's drone, which there are legitimately five of now counting that one, and a previous unique machine but with different weapons. So it could definitely just be more re-use like that.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
More Figurise Digimon is always good to see. Kinda bummed about a lack of Yu-Gi-Oh logo though. I want to see more than just the Blue Eyes White Dragon.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

TaurusOxford posted:

More Figurise Digimon is always good to see. Kinda bummed about a lack of Yu-Gi-Oh logo though. I want to see more than just the Blue Eyes White Dragon.

I wonder how long it will take for a Zeus figure.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The first day is everything but Gunpla, including what seems like some non-Gundam Entry and High Grade stuff, and the second day is all Gunpla

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Some new mg's being announced would be nice, I don't even care what suit it is at this point.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

With how well the HG has been selling I'd be shocked if we don't get an MG Aerial announcement in the near future.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Bloody Pom posted:

With how well the HG has been selling I'd be shocked if we don't get an MG Aerial announcement in the near future.

I'd think they'd wait till after the FM launches so people don't just wait for the MG

edit: I'd still buy both

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gripweed posted:

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1602157846409662465?s=20&t=L7MfwmhHJL3YCTDdPMoBqw

I kinda suspect that the stories of Kyoukai Senki kits clogging shelves forever might have been somewhat exaggerated if they're still announcing new Kyoukai Senki models now well after the show ended.

They're still clogging the shelves everywhere near me still. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

The real question is what they'd even make new AMAIM Warrior at the Borderline kits of, considering the second cour had gently caress-all for new designs.

Is there a side-manga running as well or something? I know they had that fourth white-and-blue AMAIM that's not in the show itself.