Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Khanstant posted:

yo wtf is up with space ebeleren and why anyway? that was one of the first rare cards i ever opened and i wasted so muc htime in the draft just trying to understand it's weird bullshit an potential use. I loved Unfinity but that one card just seemed like an annoying pain in the rear end for very little benefit and making opponents hate you. I assume it's bad, as a joke, but I don't get the joke beyond it being needlessly complicating the board state for everyone involved.

Un card design isn’t always concerned with being playable.

You have to assume that first came the pun, then the Star Trek joke, then the realization that since Raging River exists this can actually be eternal legal.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
okay card was missing context for me but umm, that card seems kinda cool? at least in a hypothetical version of mtg focused on creature combat, but I always want land to be more of a game element than mana sources in the back row.

Serf posted:

Yeah that deck seems a lot more fun to play with/against than the turn 3 win storm decks and Grixis Thoracle combo decks I usually see.

I thought he was actually going to play this deck after showing it, but I'll get to my play my most dangerous gamer deck this weekend anyway to see at least how all-in attractions go.

Cracking up at the snow lands part of this video. Bulk of my Jorn Snow tribal deck came in last night and I was sleeving it up wondering why I had like 9 versions of the same exact snow land art. Usually I try to make every mana have a different art, so I looked the other snow lands up on TCG Player and just weren't enough to make a full varied spread of any (and getting all out now involved some 15+ dollar cards) so I must've said gently caress it make em match instead with the cheapest.

When's the next snowy set, need more basic snowlands.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Tarnop posted:

Just wanted to mention, I'm still planning on making that python script to make double-sided proxy decks but I got COVID and my brain is non functional at the moment. I didn't forget

code:
import xml.etree.ElementTree as ET
from copy import deepcopy
FRONTS_INDEX = 1
BACKS_INDEX = 2
SLOT_INDEX = 1

fronts_xml = ET.parse('order.xml')
fronts_root = fronts_xml.getroot()
backs_root =  ET.parse('order_backs.xml').getroot()

def getSlots(child):
    return child[SLOT_INDEX].text.split(",")
def getOccupiedSlots(children):
    occupied_slots = []
    for child in children:
        occupied_slots.extend(getSlots(child))
    return occupied_slots

already_occupied = getOccupiedSlots(fronts_root[BACKS_INDEX])

# count how many cards we need from backs
front_slots = getOccupiedSlots(fronts_root[FRONTS_INDEX])
back_cards = backs_root[FRONTS_INDEX]
ordered_back_cards = [None] * len(front_slots)

for card in back_cards:
    for slot in getSlots(card):
        if int(slot) >= len(front_slots):
            print("Can't add card, slot too high " + slot)
            continue
        ordered_back_cards[int(slot)] = card

# find the backs slot on the fronts xml, add it if it doesn't exist
fronts_backs = fronts_root.find('backs')
if not fronts_backs:
    fronts_backs = ET.Element("backs")
    fronts_root.insert(BACKS_INDEX, fronts_backs)

# smoosh the backs into the front xml and print it out
for i in range(0, len(front_slots)):
    if i in already_occupied:
        continue
    back, *ordered_back_cards = ordered_back_cards
    if not back:
        continue
    back = deepcopy(back)
    back[SLOT_INDEX].text = str(i)
    fronts_root[BACKS_INDEX].append(back)

with open('out.xml', 'wb') as f:
    fronts_xml.write(f)
could be easily changed to be more usable, but put it in a folder with "order.xml" and "order_backs.xml", run with Python, will make "out.xml" smooshing them together. Will skip over cards that already have a defined back in "order.xml" and such.

note that sometimes MPCFill will say "Error" when you try to import the out.xml, but it works with the MPCFill tool fine

Thom Yorke raps fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 2, 2022

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

gently caress yeah dude. This will also help me improve my python coding as it's way more compact than the scripts I've made so far for working with MPCFill XML

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Tarnop posted:

gently caress yeah dude. This will also help me improve my python coding as it's way more compact than the scripts I've made so far for working with MPCFill XML

not a dude, but you're welcome!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Thom Yorke raps posted:

not a dude, but you're welcome!

Apologies, I do the stupid thing where I see a guy's name in a username and make assumptions

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Me the first time I ever play cEDH with a deck that has Blue in it

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Serf
May 5, 2011

My MPC order came in today, way faster than the first one but the tracking number provided never worked. It just arrived despite me checking daily. I'm not complaining though, I got 5 more decks to play with now. Feather, Mirrym, Killian, Tetsuko Umezawa and Tolsimir that cover most levels of power. Now I just need deck boxes and sleeves for all these cards. Also my group and I decided to pick up the 2022 starter decks and we're gonna do an upgrade league where we spend $20 after each game to upgrade them (thanks to someone here who gave me this idea) which seems like a blast.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Someone wrathed while I was playing Korvold. I had an Agadeem's Awakening in hand, so I let Korvold go to the graveyard because I was about to fully recover. The player whose turn it was after the wrath proceeded to cast Windfall, so Korvold lived in the graveyard for the rest of that game, lol

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I've completed my first Commander deck built from scratch! :toot:

It's an inconsistent, janky mess, but I'm still feeling good about getting it built, even if it's terrible!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

I've found Baby Nissa to be a nice curve filler in my mono-green landfall deck. Keeps you hitting your land drops early game and then is card advantage late game so never a dead draw.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

I’m also building a Titania deck right now, and it looks like you had the same idea with fetches as a way to get to four lands in your graveyard. I also included the three New Capenna locales that grab forests (they sac automatically rather than with a tap, so they fetch new forests the same turn you meld).

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Yesterday I whipped up a UW Blink deck right before I went to my friend's house for EDH night. It was slow and janky because I didn't have everything I wanted to put in so it had a lot of filler, but ended up being pretty decent in my mid-power playgroup. Ixidron was a fun card to introduce to them; blinking that made a lot of problems go away. Seht's Tiger is also an incredible and versatile fog/counterspell. I was debating making this into a Preston deck (even got some Easter Dragon sleeves) but the blue cards are so much fun. Ixidron, Displacer Kitten, all the various ETB bounce creatures, and my favorite spell ever, Momentary Blink.

Speaking of Preston, has anyone seen a deck with him as the commander in action? He looks good but I'm also thinking he's one of those commanders that is busted no matter what you do with it because it's one half of a combo piece in the command zone.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I have actually developed an interest in building Tawnos. I realize he's a jank commander, not a competitive commander; he costs five, does nothing on his own when he comes down, and is mainly a turn-things-sideways kind of guy. But he also seems fun, so I'm trying to figure out how to build him without him being dead in the water. Anybody got some decks they've built for him?

Things I'm trying to consider:
* How to win (Craterhoof is the obvious one here, Thunderfoot Baloth, Triumph of the Hordes, Stampede, Finale. In theory, there's cute poo poo like Biovisionary and Rite of Replication, but this deck will probably already have enough cards that are worthless on their own.)
* How to handle everything being expensive (Ramp, Gwenna, Itlimoc, Selvala, cost reducers (medallions, maybe monuments, Krosan Warchief, THB Nylea, Incubator, Cloud Key?))
* How to refill my hand (Beast Whisperer, Selvala again, a variety of other creatures.)
* What cute poo poo might actually be worth including (Colossus+Abundance? Helm of the Host? Scepter combo just because? Food Chain combo? Token doublers? Ways to recur creatures? Maskwood Nexus?)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Oh yeah, I put the counter from Book of Exalted Deeds on a Mutavault while everyone was shields down. Then someone played a random rear end Solemnity :negative:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Oh yeah, I put the counter from Book of Exalted Deeds on a Mutavault while everyone was shields down. Then someone played a random rear end Solemnity :negative:

Solemnity doesn’t remove counters.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

Solemnity doesn’t remove counters.

You know, I thought it did. I won the game anyway, at least!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Got to test my Jorn snow tribal deck out today, albeit only 1v1, but whew it was a lot better than I thought. I ended up winning from Conifer worm, double-pumped it to add +7/+7 each time and trample got him through his wall of dinos. I thought the Marit lage junk would end up being my wincon, and still might when there's full spread of players, but just getting double-mana and having tons of snow permanents out was surprisingly strong. I even got to be a little poo poo and nearly cost myself the win by rite of consumption in my commander I had pumped up to a 7/7 to deal that 7 damage to bring him to 1, and then still resummon Jorn (without his counters anymore) with remaining mana.

I want to start putting together a commander decklist full of cards that help opponents, mostly inspired by All Hallow's Eve, I tagged a few other green cards that let opponents play free lands or tutor their decks and stuff, but it kinda seems like the "help opponent" cards are pretty spread out across colors. Pfeldagriff is the commander I've seen that expressly helps other players with its abilities, but lacks black colour identity for All Hallow's Eve which is the main thing I wanna play. Guess I wouldn't mind sneaking in a lil wincon or two if it doesn't require build-around, mostly just wanna stuff in as many symmetrical and opponent-beneficial cards as possible without anything that doesn't help someone else in some way. So far my only idea is pretty generically using Atogatog since I know it has rainbow and is nearly worthless even in a hypothetical atog deck. Still hoping there's a rainbowy commander option that outright helps opponents rather than just being worthless/non-threatening. Haven't found a good way to filter cards by "good for opponents, not good for you" but also doubt I'm the first person to want to build this concept

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

Got to test my Jorn snow tribal deck out today, albeit only 1v1, but whew it was a lot better than I thought. I ended up winning from Conifer worm, double-pumped it to add +7/+7 each time and trample got him through his wall of dinos. I thought the Marit lage junk would end up being my wincon, and still might when there's full spread of players, but just getting double-mana and having tons of snow permanents out was surprisingly strong. I even got to be a little poo poo and nearly cost myself the win by rite of consumption in my commander I had pumped up to a 7/7 to deal that 7 damage to bring him to 1, and then still resummon Jorn (without his counters anymore) with remaining mana.

I want to start putting together a commander decklist full of cards that help opponents, mostly inspired by All Hallow's Eve, I tagged a few other green cards that let opponents play free lands or tutor their decks and stuff, but it kinda seems like the "help opponent" cards are pretty spread out across colors. Pfeldagriff is the commander I've seen that expressly helps other players with its abilities, but lacks black colour identity for All Hallow's Eve which is the main thing I wanna play. Guess I wouldn't mind sneaking in a lil wincon or two if it doesn't require build-around, mostly just wanna stuff in as many symmetrical and opponent-beneficial cards as possible without anything that doesn't help someone else in some way. So far my only idea is pretty generically using Atogatog since I know it has rainbow and is nearly worthless even in a hypothetical atog deck. Still hoping there's a rainbowy commander option that outright helps opponents rather than just being worthless/non-threatening. Haven't found a good way to filter cards by "good for opponents, not good for you" but also doubt I'm the first person to want to build this concept

Kenrith's black ability is a mini All Hallow's Eve, so if you like that theme he's the best bet. Fair warning, everyone I know who's tried a Group Hug deck ended up regretting it and either taking it apart or adding some actual wincons. It's fun maybe once if no one at the table has seen it before.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Group hug decks almost always result in whichever player gets a small lead first using the group hug stuff to catapult themselves in front of everyone else and stomping them, or just everyone ganging up and killing you so that doesn't happen. It's "fun" once or twice and then everyone else at the table starts to hate it. That's the experience I've seen at every playgroup I've been in or heard about where someone started playing it, at least.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

LifeLynx posted:

Kenrith's black ability is a mini All Hallow's Eve, so if you like that theme he's the best bet. Fair warning, everyone I know who's tried a Group Hug deck ended up regretting it and either taking it apart or adding some actual wincons. It's fun maybe once if no one at the table has seen it before.

My own version of group hug is Jetmir where I let everyone draw cards, have double or triple mana, and just have a bunch of fun until I drop 16 tokens with haste on the board that are double strike, trample, vigilance and +3+0 to end the party.

Group hug is fun.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

My own version of group hug is Jetmir where I let everyone draw cards, have double or triple mana, and just have a bunch of fun until I drop 16 tokens with haste on the board that are double strike, trample, vigilance and +3+0 to end the party.

Group hug is fun.

You got Beastmaster Ascension in there?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Batterypowered7 posted:

You got Beastmaster Ascension in there?

I don't attack often enough to get it to trigger.

I do have cathar's crusade which has led to some fun "oh poo poo no no no" moments where the next turn I made 10 10/10s

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don't attack often enough to get it to trigger.

I do have cathar's crusade which has led to some fun "oh poo poo no no no" moments where the next turn I made 10 10/10s

If you swing with 16 dudes it's on immediately, that combat. The trigger is per attacker

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

disaster pastor posted:

I have actually developed an interest in building Tawnos.

I will eventually build a Tawnos deck and the first thing I will add is every beast and bird I can find with mutate.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha well my first idea was just a deck made of the shittest cards I couldn't possibly win with, while still executing some cohesive idea over just unplayable cards with bad curve or something. Then I was in a game where I just wasn't gonna win, wasn't bout to die, but just too far back without good catch-up tools left, but I could actively help someone else against someone who set me that far back. While I did not win that game, and was still the first one out, I had a lot of fun using myself as a resource in a way I wouldn't if I had been trying to continue to play optimally to recover my original gameplan.

If I pursue the Group Hug idea I know the archetype name and will be wary that it might not be fun for everyone or myself and absolutely pack in some wincons to make sure any hug may come with a juicy backstab. I'm new enough of a player that pretty much every new deck type I build or play against is still neat, new, and novel to me. Kenrith isn't a bad option but the idea of playing with a guy who's a king named ken kinda bums me out. seems like 9/10ths of making a commander deck is being jazzed about the idea and face of it.

Alternatively, I absolutely want All Hallow's Eve in a deck no matter what, and if nothing else, I can shove it in a witch themed deck I wanna make. Reckon the useful way to play All Hallow's Eve would be to use it in a way I can remove the counters immediately, after having exiled everyone's graveyards one way or the other. Bojuka bog. Are there other interesting ways to summon from other players' graveyards, whether for themselves or for you? Witches and graveyards, I don't have a dark deck or a graveyard deck yet. I can keep looking around, got a handful of random witches already.

There are two other random cards I bought just because I really loved the idea of them, and don't know if they're "people discourage this"/"maybe ask your group" cards or not.

Goblin Game. I like those kind of fractional damage cards, there's a weapon I had in an draft once that did half total life when equipped creature attacked. it wasn't actually a great card, waste of mana in the game i actually got it to hit, but idk, i think it's neat. Goblin Game in particular the idea of a little wagering game with life on the line seems fun to me.

Clear the Land... when I bought it just to fill out some shipping minimum, I misread it. I thought it made everyone reveal top 5 of library and pull all lands revealed into play tapped. It does do that, but I ignored the part where it removes every other land in play. The picture is a weird chewbacca-rhino ripping up a tree and I like it. How rude is it though?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Haha well my first idea was just a deck made of the shittest cards I couldn't possibly win with, while still executing some cohesive idea over just unplayable cards with bad curve or something. Then I was in a game where I just wasn't gonna win, wasn't bout to die, but just too far back without good catch-up tools left, but I could actively help someone else against someone who set me that far back. While I did not win that game, and was still the first one out, I had a lot of fun using myself as a resource in a way I wouldn't if I had been trying to continue to play optimally to recover my original gameplan.

If I pursue the Group Hug idea I know the archetype name and will be wary that it might not be fun for everyone or myself and absolutely pack in some wincons to make sure any hug may come with a juicy backstab. I'm new enough of a player that pretty much every new deck type I build or play against is still neat, new, and novel to me. Kenrith isn't a bad option but the idea of playing with a guy who's a king named ken kinda bums me out. seems like 9/10ths of making a commander deck is being jazzed about the idea and face of it.

Alternatively, I absolutely want All Hallow's Eve in a deck no matter what, and if nothing else, I can shove it in a witch themed deck I wanna make. Reckon the useful way to play All Hallow's Eve would be to use it in a way I can remove the counters immediately, after having exiled everyone's graveyards one way or the other. Bojuka bog. Are there other interesting ways to summon from other players' graveyards, whether for themselves or for you? Witches and graveyards, I don't have a dark deck or a graveyard deck yet. I can keep looking around, got a handful of random witches already.

There are two other random cards I bought just because I really loved the idea of them, and don't know if they're "people discourage this"/"maybe ask your group" cards or not.

Goblin Game. I like those kind of fractional damage cards, there's a weapon I had in an draft once that did half total life when equipped creature attacked. it wasn't actually a great card, waste of mana in the game i actually got it to hit, but idk, i think it's neat. Goblin Game in particular the idea of a little wagering game with life on the line seems fun to me.

Clear the Land... when I bought it just to fill out some shipping minimum, I misread it. I thought it made everyone reveal top 5 of library and pull all lands revealed into play tapped. It does do that, but I ignored the part where it removes every other land in play. The picture is a weird chewbacca-rhino ripping up a tree and I like it. How rude is it though?

I think it exiles the non-land cards revealed, not the lands in play.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Batterypowered7 posted:

You know, I thought it did. I won the game anyway, at least!

Also, removing the counter (or preventing it from being placed, if Solemnity was already in play) doesn't matter.

gatherer rulings for The Book of Exalted Deeds posted:

The enlightenment counter placed by the last ability serves as a memory aid. It isn't connected to the granted ability. The Angel keeps that ability even if it loses the counter. Similarly, if the counter is somehow moved to another permanent, that permanent doesn't gain the ability.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

DontMockMySmock posted:

Also, removing the counter (or preventing it from being placed, if Solemnity was already in play) doesn't matter.

Excellent to know going forward

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Tarnop posted:

If you swing with 16 dudes it's on immediately, that combat. The trigger is per attacker

I'm dumb, I thought it was after. Yeah ok that's going back in there.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm dumb, I thought it was after. Yeah ok that's going back in there.

I've ended a significant number of games with it in my Jetmir deck, and it never gets and less satisfying when everybody else won't realizes you're swinging for 80 damage total :getin:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

This past weekend I was finally able to play some EDH with friends and got to try out my modified Painbow precon and modified Mind Flayarrrs for the first time.

https://archidekt.com/decks/3269628#pa_pa_pa_pa_pa_Painbow

First time trying out something I made for WUBRG and man did it feel like it took a little time to get going. Getting Amulet of Vigor really early helped a ton and actually made the deck, by theoretical design, keep up with a Naya Rin and Seri deck, a Gruul Radha, Heart of Keld that also had a Field of the Dead in it, and a Mono White Heliod Lifegain deck.

Lairs in this deck are a lifesaver in mana fixing and Mana Cannons is a super awesome busted card for running any sort of multicolor that involves Red in it. I'm pretty sure it can do awful poo poo with Grapeshot or any other Storm effect. Either way, I was able to effectively defend myself while the Radha deck was building itself up with nasty efficient and circular ramp to just amass a huge rear end zombie army really quickly, which in turn let the Helios player gain a poo poo load of life via Soul Warden early on, while I and the Naya deck were building board state and mana fixing and sequencing.

At some point maybe around turn 7 or 8 when I had Jegantha out and could just tap a card for WUBRG to get Jared out and start making Kavu and Simic Ascendancy out is when I became the threat against like 24 zombies and a Radha that was pumped enough to strike for lethal to anyone via Commander Damage, lucked into a Teferi's Protection from upkeep draw, noped right the gently caress out of there, and the Helios player just Death Starred the Radha player with Aetherflux Reservoir but not before Radha dealt lethal to Rin and Seri. Now it's just a one on one with a Helios in play with an Ozolith, and a Ranger Captain of Eos that's just getting larger and larger due to other enchantments I forget were there. Two cards left in my hand one of them being a Conflux, hard cast Conflux on my turn and I'm at single digits in life total. What I didn't know, until it was explained to me during my turn, was that Conflux can tutor for single colored spell cards or just one WUBRG spell. So I go get Iridian Maelstrom nuke my board save for the Kavu that have already been pumped up via Jared, lose Jegantha.

I manage to whittle him down to lethal range, he gains a good chunk of life back, last card in hand is a Vampiric Tutor and I'm at 4 life I'm counting my mana and just go gently caress it go down to two go find Unite the Coalition cast it on my turn, deal 10 deal another five due to Mana Cannons and I think like 11 or something like that with beefed up Kavu. Win by the skin of my teeth, first time ever using that deck.

https://archidekt.com/decks/2902700#Mind_Flayarrr_Upgrayedd_(He_gonna_find_me)

Next round was Mind Flayarrrs (Horror, mill, steal) vs a Kaalia, a Prosper, and a Mono Green vanilla creatures deck that's somehow supposed to kill you super fast somehow. I warned the table I was playing mill and the focus was stealing other people's poo poo and using it against them until they got rid of it, holy poo poo did that work really really well against Kaalia, having a turn 2 Mindcrank is also in the pretty salty feels bad category and all I could do was sheepishly say sorry and laugh, a lot, when the green player lost all their ramp due to milling and a good chunk of lands. Not much else to say other than I was first one out and the Kaalia deck won barely against a Prosper deck that finally got it's engine going. Paper Magic fun.

Edit: Hullbreaker Horror is a fantastic card. Oh yeah! Getting a Leyline of Anticipation out from your beginning hand is pretty cool.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 7, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jiro posted:

This past weekend I was finally able to play some EDH with friends and got to try out my modified Painbow precon and modified Mind Flayarrrs for the first time.

https://archidekt.com/decks/3269628#pa_pa_pa_pa_pa_Painbow

First time trying out something I made for WUBRG and man did it feel like it took a little time to get going. Getting Amulet of Vigor really early helped a ton and actually made the deck, by theoretical design, keep up with a Naya Rin and Seri deck, a Gruul Radha, Heart of Keld that also had a Field of the Dead in it, and a Mono White Heliod Lifegain deck.

Lairs in this deck are a lifesaver in mana fixing and Mana Cannons is a super awesome busted card for running any sort of multicolor that involves Red in it. I'm pretty sure it can do awful poo poo with Grapeshot or any other Storm effect. Either way, I was able to effectively defend myself while the Radha deck was building itself up with nasty efficient and circular ramp to just amass a huge rear end zombie army really quickly, which in turn let the Helios player gain a poo poo load of life via Soul Warden early on, while I and the Naya deck were building board state and mana fixing and sequencing.

At some point maybe around turn 7 or 8 when I had Jegantha out and could just tap a card for WUBRG to get Jared out and start making Kavu and Simic Ascendancy out is when I became the threat against like 24 zombies and a Radha that was pumped enough to strike for lethal to anyone via Commander Damage, lucked into a Teferi's Protection from upkeep draw, noped right the gently caress out of there, and the Helios player just Death Starred the Radha player with Aetherflux Reservoir but not before Radha dealt lethal to Rin and Seri. Now it's just a one on one with a Helios in play with an Ozolith, and a Ranger Captain of Eos that's just getting larger and larger due to other enchantments I forget were there. Two cards left in my hand one of them being a Conflux, hard cast Conflux on my turn and I'm at single digits in life total. What I didn't know, until it was explained to me during my turn, was that Conflux can tutor for single colored spell cards or just one WUBRG spell. So I go get Iridian Maelstrom nuke my board save for the Kavu that have already been pumped up via Jared, lose Jegantha.

I manage to whittle him down to lethal range, he gains a good chunk of life back, last card in hand is a Vampiric Tutor and I'm at 4 life I'm counting my mana and just go gently caress it go down to two go find Unite the Coalition cast it on my turn, deal 10 deal another five due to Mana Cannons and I think like 11 or something like that with beefed up Kavu. Win by the skin of my teeth, first time ever using that deck.

https://archidekt.com/decks/2902700#Mind_Flayarrr_Upgrayedd_(He_gonna_find_me)

Next round was Mind Flayarrrs (Horror, mill, steal) vs a Kaalia, a Prosper, and a Mono Green vanilla creatures deck that's somehow supposed to kill you super fast somehow. I warned the table I was playing mill and the focus was stealing other people's poo poo and using it against them until they got rid of it, holy poo poo did that work really really well against Kaalia, having a turn 2 Mindcrank is also in the pretty salty feels bad category and all I could do was sheepishly say sorry and laugh, a lot, when the green player lost all their ramp due to milling and a good chunk of lands. Not much else to say other than I was first one out and the Kaalia deck won barely against a Prosper deck that finally got it's engine going. Paper Magic fun.

Edit: Hullbreaker Horror is a fantastic card. Oh yeah! Getting a Leyline of Anticipation out from your beginning hand is pretty cool.

You can actually find five multi-color cards.

"You may find multicolored cards with Conflux. The white card you find, for example, can be any number of colors, as long as white is one of them. What colors it is won't impact what other cards you can find. For example, you may find a white-blue card as the white card and another white-blue card as the blue card."

So you can find five WUBRG cards or just any combination as long as the color you specifiy for each is different.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

You can actually find five multi-color cards.

"You may find multicolored cards with Conflux. The white card you find, for example, can be any number of colors, as long as white is one of them. What colors it is won't impact what other cards you can find. For example, you may find a white-blue card as the white card and another white-blue card as the blue card."

So you can find five WUBRG cards or just any combination as long as the color you specifiy for each is different.

Oh hey that's awesome, and seems super broken! Gonna have to see if I can pull that off next time. On a side note Shadow Kin, in my Mind Flayarrs precon, is some pretty nasty poo poo if it keeps lasting past one turn. I initially thought the effect it had was an ETB and just did it once, not every upkeep I had.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Anyone got a sweet Saskia list to share?

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Just thought I'd share my final league Kadena deck: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/09-12-22-kadena/?cb=1670624868
Only won 1 game for most of the league, then ended up winning all the games I played the final night!
For $100 total I'm quite happy with the deck - gonna fix up the mana base and ramp a little bit , but aside from that I'm at the point where I'll just be making spot changes for underperformers (Grazilaxx hasn't been great, and several of the less interactive morphs haven't really been doing much but I need to keep that count rather high for the deck to run).

Definitely open to any thoughts if anybody has any! Haven't run it against any more polished decks so there are likely some holes as far as commander protection/removal.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I think I like this take on Saskia Legendary Humans.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Anyone got a sweet Saskia list to share?

i take it theres somebody out there in particular you dont want to see win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

i take it theres somebody out there in particular you dont want to see win

I've got a buddy that wants to try to deal as much damage as possible from a creature/creatures connecting. We were thinking of goofy rear end poo poo like Hydra Omnivore, some way to give it double-strike, and maybe some of those damage multipliers like Furnace of Rath. I thought Saskia might be a good Commander for such a deck.